PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Class: Shaper

TinyBlooper
2017-03-12, 06:01 PM
A homebrew class I've made, inspired by the Geneforge Saga series of games. The goal was to create a pet based half caster that wasn't totally broken, but still felt very different from the Ranger's Beast Conclave. That said...

A couple of things before we get to the actual class:

First, this class will, even if is perfectly balanced (which is isn't), require fairly heavy DM oversight. It's primary mechanic is creating creatures to fight for you. Many monsters have some very powerful abilities that there's no way for players to get, for good reason. It's not really possible to balance all the monsters for fighting alongside the players, so people will need to use their judgement in what should and shouldn't be allowed. In the same vein, this class isn't tested or intended for multiclassing.

Second, there's currently only one subclass. I've been having trouble thinking up a second one I like, so if you have one you think would be cool, say so! I'd love to hear it.

Third, there may be some text in italics in a couple places in the class description. That's just a bit of developer commentary. Ignore it if you like.

Finally, comments and critiques are welcome, particularly where balance is concerned.

Here's link to the class! (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rh2CctO1xKFgbXUhkelIr-lPAvs1IZOAiR7S0ZnKVBk/edit?usp=sharing)

JNAProductions
2017-03-12, 06:28 PM
Half Caster with Cantrips. Odd-nothing wrong with it, but be aware it has not yet been done officially.

There is no such thing as CR 3.5.

Right-you need bigger restrictions on what you can make.

Why? One word.

Pixies.

TinyBlooper
2017-03-12, 07:46 PM
There is no such thing as CR 3.5.

Fair enough. I'll change that example.

Right-you need bigger restrictions on what you can make.

Why? One word.

Pixies.

Pixies are fey. As written, you can only create beasts, dragons, monstrosities, oozes and plants.

JNAProductions
2017-03-12, 07:51 PM
Huh. Okay. Either way, I'm sure there's something in those types that are abusable.

Edit: I'd give a few example statblocks, and minimize cvariations.