PDA

View Full Version : Existing Fiction Conversion: Legend of Zelda

Clockwork333
2017-03-13, 01:51 AM
Playing Breath of the Wild has made me want to do a D&D style campaign in the Legend of Zelda setting, and so I typed these out to get em out of my brain. The general idea is that things are set in the same physical landscape as Breath of the Wild (Makes maps more convenient) but there are a few other tweaks due to personal preferences and other factors.

General template is

Species: Description
Ability Score:
Element Resistance:
Skills:
Trait:

Now this is obviously a work in progress but here's what I have so far. Eventually I plan for the traits to develop further at higher levels.

Hylian: The common people of Hyrule, with settlements in its frostiest peaks, wildest plains, sandy coasts, and more. While they are as varied as the lands they live in with regards to their skills and and lifestyles, most are kind and hardworking with a great love of entertainment and recreation, especially music. They are generally on good terms with most of their neighboring allies but have a are wary of the monstrous species of the Blin family or Lizalfos. They maintain their faith in the Goddess Hylia, and often build statues and temples in her honor.

Ability Score: +2 Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom

Element Resistance: Radiant, Fire, Poison, or Cold Resistance.

Skills: Religion or History, and Athletics, Stealth, Perception, or Survival

Traits: Hylian Heart: You have advantage on one Charisma Save per long rest, and may Choose the Skilled, Healer, or Resilient Traits. If an allied character near you is afflicted with charm, fear, or paralysis, you gain advantage on savings throws to the effect for the duration of the encounter.

Sheikah: A clan that has served the Hyrule royal family for countless generations. Whether through cunning and secrecy, or magical and technological prowess, they have always protected the land and its people. In recent years the Sheikah have grown in number to better police the sprawling frontiers of Hyrule for monsters and other threats, with small outposts either overtly or subtly mingled amidst many Hylian settlements or in wilds near them. Although Sheikah acknowledge Hylia, much of their religious practice is dedicated towards veneration of their ancestors.

Ability Score: +2 Dexterity or Wisdom

Element Resistance: Necrotic or Psychic Resistance

Skills: Insight and Acrobatics, Stealth, Deception, Investigation, or Perception

Traits: Sheikah Truth: Choose the Martial Adept, Magic Initiate, or Keen Mind feats. In addition, you have advantage when attempting to see through illusions, resist deception, or resist charm effects. At level 5 and above

Goron: A sturdy and hardworking people dwelling in the Eldin region of Hyrule, using the volcanic heat and deep mines of Death Mountain to craft all manner of metal and stone goods. Always jovial and friendly, the gorons have set up trade outposts across Hyrule and have even constructed a few forts and settlements around new mines, often living, laughing, and fighting alongside local Hylians and Gerudo. They worship the Red Goddess Din and often hold festivals in her honor.

Ability Score: +2 Strength and +1 Constitution OR +1 Strength and +2 Constitution

Element Resistance: Fire Resistance

Skills: Explosives Handling and Athletics or Nature

Traits: Goron Grit: Gorons have +1 AC even when unarmored, non-magical attacks from behind (even when prone) have disadvantage against Gorons, and Gorons may also eat stones in place of rations. Goron sink in water and have their movement speed reduced by half while submerged, though they can hold their breath twice as long as most Hylians.

Goron Tumbling: Gorons may 'tumble', increasing their movement speed to 40ft across level terrain and 50ft downhill, and take -5 fall damage when tumbling. At level 3 and above Gorons that may cast spells may cast Alter Self but may only generate spikes and only while tumbling. Enemies struck by a tumbling Goron are shoved into an adjacent square and take damage if the Goron has spikes. Gorons cannot tumble uphill (Momentum can carry them but this isn't Sonic).

Zora: A proud culture originating in the Lanaryu region, who have recently set up outposts all across Hyrule's Lakes, Rivers, and Coasts. Though traditionally isolationists, the Zora have undergone a cultural split, with some seeking to be more outgoing and generally venerating the divine fish of the sea, and others wishing to remain in peaceful isolation focusing their worship on the Blue Goddess Nayru. Regardless of their stance on this divide, the Zora have a reputation as experts on magic, proud warriors, masterful craftsmen and cunning statesmen.

Ability Score: +2 Wisdom and +1 Intelligence or Dexterity

Element Resistance: Cold or Lightning Resistance

Skills: Insight, History, or Athletics

Traits: Zora Pride: Zora can breathe both water and air, double their movement speed in water, have access to the Shape Water Cantrip, and access to create/destroy water once per long rest at 3rd Level. They also gain access to the Spear Mastery Feat or the Cantrip Shocking Grasp, or Ray of Frost.

At 3rd level Zora fins count as non-magical natural weapons of 1d6 and natural armor 13+(Dex), not stacking with worn armor. Zora require twice the daily amount of water than other species to stave off mundane exhaustion and maintain their natural weapon and armor benefits.

Dekurok: It is said that long ago the Deku tree crafted a race of plantlike beings to keep him company and help watch over the Woodlands of Hyrule and its plantlife. These were the Deku, over time though the Deku a mix of wanderlust, ambition, and frustration with the damage to the wilds by their Hylian and Goron neighbors, began to wander across the world and left Hyrule, leaving the Deku tree alone for many years. In time, to ease his loneliness he crafted the Koroks from minor forest spirits and orphaned Hylian children that became lost in the forests of Hyrule. A few decades ago, the return of Deku from across the sea after a volcanic eruption destroyed their old home reintroduced the Deku people to Hyrule, who integrated with the younger Korok over time. They now weave beautiful cities and temples into existence to honor Farore whom they credit with delivering them back to their home, and their progenitor the Deku tree.

Ability Score: +1 Wisdom and +2 Dexterity or Charisma

Element Resistance: Poison Immunity, Necrotic Resistance, Fire Vulnerability

Skills: Nature and Insight, Survival, or Performance

Traits: Dekurok Craft: Dekurok have the Wood-Shaping ability to alter their bodies and local plantlife. Once per long rest the Dekurok can create Deku-Seeds (Ammunition for sling or slingshot/blowgun), Deku Nuts (Thrown weapon Blinds or Paralyzes target hit for one round) or Deku-Stick (Manifests as Quarterstaff or Spear) these items disintegrate after 8 hours, though Deku-plants grown naturally in the wild do not.

Instead of creating items they may choose a weapon and, tool or instrument they can shift their body into, this includes manifesting leaves or petals to mimic the spell 'feather fall' or in place of a weapon creating a wooden shell to shield themselves. They can also spit bubbles or stones which manifest as the Magic Stone cantrip being spit from the Dekurok's mouth, though they still need access to water or pebbles in order to perform the cantrip. If a Dekurok has already chosen a physical alteration then they do not lose it if they create items at their next long rest.

Dekurok cannot properly swim but can float on water, though floating for too long will cause them to sink, reducing their movement speed by half while in the water and potentially drowning them.

Dekurok can 'saturate' with water intentionally, losing the ability to float but removing their vulnerability to fire until a short rest or until struck by a fire attack or spell (The spell damage would be calculated normally, they are not immune.)

Rito: Distant relatives of the Zora, the Rito are a passionate people, while usually nomadic, and still based out of their airship capital, they have established a small number of permanent settlements in Hyrule to trade and to better maintain their growing number of airships. Though sometimes considered flighty and arrogant the lighthearted and goodnatured core of the Rito keeps them on good terms with most of Hyrule's inhabitants. The Rito have no particularly prevalent religion, instead venerating a variety of spirits and deities, most commonly Hylia, Farore,

Ability Score: +2 Dexterity or Wisdom

Element Resistance: Lightning or Thunder Resistance

Skills: Acrobatics, Perception, Investigation, or Performance

Traits: Rito Passion: Flight! All Rito are capable of flight with a speed of 60ft though before 3rd level Rito suffer disadvantage

Gerudo:

Ability Score: +2 Constitution and +1 Dexterity or Strength

Element Resistance: Lightning or Fire Resistance

Skills:

Traits:

Mekalles:

Ability Score: +2 Constitution, and +1 Intellect, or Strength

Element Resistance: Immune Poison, Vulnerable Electricity

Skills:

Traits:

Wryte
2017-03-13, 03:05 AM
Which edition are you adapting for, first of all?

I haven't picked up BotW yet, so I can't comment on the specifics of your brew regarding that game, but I started working on homebrew Zelda races drawing mainly from OoT, MM, and WW for 5ed a long while back, but never finished. Let's see if I can... yeah, there it is. Here's what I did come up with. Take these with the grain of salt that they were one of my earlier homebrewing attempts for 5ed, when I had a looser grip on the game. Feel free to borrow or adapt anything from these.

Skimming these reminds me that for this homebrew I had the idea of discarding the Good/Evil and Lawful/Chaotic alignment system in favor of a Power/Wisdom/Courage alignment system to be more in line with the mythology of the franchise.

Dekukin Traits
Ability Score Increase:
Size: Dekukin stand between 3 and 4 feet tall. Your size is Small.
Speed: Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Wooden: You are vulnerable to fire damage, but resistant to force damage.
Subrace: Dekukin come in two varieties: Deku Scrubs and Koroks. Choose one of these subraces.
Deku Scrub Traits
Scrub Step: Your base walking speed increases to 35 feet. You can cross standing water as if it were difficult terrain, but fall in if you run out of movement before reaching dry land.
Korok Traits
Deku Leaf: You can glide short distances by use of a magical leaf that slows your falling speed to 30 feet per round. If your leaf is destroyed you grow another one over the course of a long rest.

Goron Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution score increases by 2 and your Strength score increases by 1.
Alignment: Like the rock that their culture revolves around, Gorons prize the strength to endure and protect above all else. Gorons favor the virtue of Power.
Size: Gorons stand between 5 and 7 feet tall, and weigh around 400 lbs. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Gorons are heavy on their feet. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Defense Curl: When attacked by a creature within 5 feet of you, you may use your reaction to increase your AC by 5 until the start of your next turn by curling into a ball, including against the inciting attack. You are prone at the beginning of your next turn.
Goron Roll: After moving at least 10 feet in a straight line while Dashing, you can roll into an unstoppable ball for up to your remaining movement as long as you continue in that straight line. Creatures in your path must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. This damage increases by 1d6 at 6th, 11th, and 16th levels. The save DC for this roll is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your strength modifier.
Heat Resistance: You have resistance to and fire damage and are unbothered by extreme heat.

Human Traits
Ability Score Increase
Size
Speed
Subrace
Gerudo
Hylian
Shiekah

Kokiri Traits
Ability Score Increase
Size
Speed
Subrace
Kokiri
Skullkid

Moblin Traits
Ability Score Increase
Size
Speed
Subrace
Moblin
Bokoblin

Rito Traits
Ability Score Increase
Size
Speed

Twili Traits
Ability Score Increase
Size
Speed

Zora Traits
Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Alignment: As the caretakers of Hyrule’s water supply, the Zora understand better than most the delicate balance by which the tribes of Hyrule coexist and prosper. Zora favor the virtue of Wisdom.
Size: Zora stand around 6 feet tall and weigh around 175 lbs. Your size is Medium.
Speed: Zora are terrific swimmers, but slightly awkward on land. Your base walking speed is 25 feet.
Amphibious: You can breathe underwater and have a base swimming speed of 40 feet.
Electric Current: You know the Shocking Grasp cantrip. Wisdom is your casting ability for this spell.
Keen Senses: You are proficient in the Perception skill, and have advantage on Perception checks involving scent when underwater.
Zora Scale: Once a day you can give a special scale of yours to another creature, allowing them to hold their breath underwater for double the normal time. This scale loses its enchantment after 24 hours, or once you give another one to a creature. You must complete a long rest before a new scale is ready.

Clockwork333
2017-03-13, 10:53 AM
Adapting for fifth edition, your stuff looks pretty good too, a bit more elegant in a few places.

EDIT: I especially think the bit with the Zora scales is nice, I was really struggling on how to factor in the fat that they usually go around in fin-clothes due to being aquatic.

Your notion of the Power/Wisdom/Courage Alignment system is interesting, can you tell me more?

I was thinking of utilizing it as part of the magic system, though I'm not quite sure where yet.

Magic Types and Divine Domains:

Major Goddesses:

Hylia: Radiant/Lightning

Din: Fire/Force

Nayru: Cold/Psychic

Farore: Thunder/Poison

Guardian Spirits:

The Forest Guardians: Thunder/Cold

The Great SeaBeasts: Cold/Acid

The Dragon Spirits: Lightning, Cold, or Fire

The Great Fairies: Radiant and Cold, Fire, Thunder, or Lightning