PDA

View Full Version : First time MOMF build. Assistance plez

SolomonGraves
2017-03-13, 05:01 AM
Hello and good evening everyone !

So, I'm seeking a bit of guidance on rolling up a Master of Many Forms character for use sometime in the future. I've done quite a bit of research on my concerning the class and the options available, including some threads posted on this very forum. I've read what manuals still exist on the class, including what creatures are good to use. I have a few details worked out already, namely race and I have stats rolled.

My foremost inquiry is how one should allocate stats when building a MOMF. I intend to start out the standard route with the wild shape variant of Ranger, moving into MOMF as soon as possible with human as the race. My rolled stats are as follows

The available sources are then entirety of the Complete Series, the expanded psionics handbook and sparing use of the book of vile darkness. I am going out on a limb and assuming that all the monster manuals would be available to use. I have been allowed to take feats from Savage species before when making a character, but anything beyond that us unlikely, which means that the Cryohydra may not be available :smallsigh:

However, feat choices are definitely something that I'm thinking about. I don't necessarily want to go super game crushing optimized build, but I would like to focus on squeezing as much utility and fun out of these critters as I can, maybe getting as many special abilities available as I can, stressing versatility. That being said, any advice would be very much appreciated.

Venger
2017-03-13, 11:36 AM
the momf bible (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472737-Updated-Master-of-Many-Forms-Bible-official-wild-shape-rules-(recovered)) is a good place to brush up on the basics.

SolomonGraves
2017-03-13, 04:36 PM
I had looked into that before, but there are still some questions that I have. I don't really understand why you would get the Con score of the monster, but don't benefit from it. Outside of those few monsters that have poison attacks, what's the point of even granting the Con bonus if you don't benefit from it ?

Venger
2017-03-13, 05:50 PM
I had looked into that before, but there are still some questions that I have. I don't really understand why you would get the Con score of the monster, but don't benefit from it. Outside of those few monsters that have poison attacks, what's the point of even granting the Con bonus if you don't benefit from it ?
what do you mean "don't benefit from it?" you reap all benefits from a shape's con except extra hp. you still get the boost to fort saves and DCs for things like poison.

this is an update from 3.0 > 3.5.

the reason for it is game balance. if you turn into a monster with higher con than your current form, you used to get a bunch of extra hp, so you could essentially do this and save yourself from death in addition to all the other game breaking stuff a druid can do.

or because we know perfectly well they didn't make changes to nerf the druid, keeping track of your HP depending on your current shape is really obnoxious and gives you a lot of chances to make mistakes and tabulate incorrectly, especially if you're shifting rapidly through forms.

SolomonGraves
2017-03-13, 06:24 PM
I derped and forgot the boost to Fort..Shame on me.

It seems that it would be a good idea to prioritize Con as much as possible, since Str and Dex are going to fluctuate depending on what form I take. The array that I rolled was far from impressive, so every little boost that I can get helps.

Iku Rex
2017-03-13, 07:10 PM
Yes, Con is your most important ability score.

Str and Dex may matter if you are starting at a low level or the GM requires you to meet the prerequisites of feats with your natural scores.

Int is useful for skill points, and if you pick Knowledge Devotion (CCha), better knowledge checks.

Ranger spellcasting uses Wis, so unless you're trading away your spells for a feat (Champion of the Wild, CCha) you probably want Wis 12.

SirNibbles
2017-03-13, 07:53 PM
Since you're taking Ranger levels, Monk 1 + Ascetic Hunter (Complete Adventurer, page 105) gives you extra versatility due to the increased damage you do in any form with UAS.

If your DM allows the sources, you can add in a Monk's Tattoo (Magic of Faerūn, page 163) with a Wilding Clasp (Magic Item Compendium, page 193) for even better damage and other bonuses (like AC and speed). Monk's Tattoo should work in any form with a Wilding Clasp since every form you're using has skin of some kind.

Naez
2017-03-13, 07:57 PM
I'm actually playing a MOMF in a currently running campaign. Prioritize Con, Con, Con, and Con. It's the only stat that really matters.

All jokes aside Con>Dex (if you begin at low level)>Int>Wis>Cha>Dex(if you begin at a level 6 or higher)>Str.

As for classes I'd go WS Ranger5/MoMF 10/Nature's Warrior 5 or WS Ranger5/MoMF 10/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 3.
You may also want to consider the Champion of the Wild Variant if you don't want to worry about your 1-2 1st level ranger spells per day and get a feat out of it.

Don't worry too much about forms. I spend 95% of my time as a Troll. The other 5% is as something with flight (has varied a lot with level).

MHCD
2017-03-14, 01:37 AM
It gets a lot of hate, but Vow of Poverty I still have fun with vow of poverty on a master of many forms. It saves you the time and effort of having to figure out equipment logistics when wildshaping (especially when you already have plenty of bookwork) while still granting several decent flat bonuses across all forms. More significantly, it really meshes with the whole "my power comes from my versatility and the myriad of special abilities I can access" theme.

You'll also have enough fancy abilities from creatures that the equipment loss isn't a crippling hit.