PDA

View Full Version : Speculation 3/13/17 Unearthed Arcana (Full Mystic Class)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 10:21 AM
So in an effort to beat jaappleton to the punch this time (:smallwink:) what does everyone think we're getting today? The last two UA have been DM resources, so do you think we might be getting more DM resources, or do you think we'll go back to player-focused content?

EDIT: when the article actually drops, I'll link it here (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf) in the OP.

King539
2017-03-13, 10:32 AM
Hoping for mystic, but prepared to be disappointed.

Typhon
2017-03-13, 10:39 AM
I am wondering if it might be a setting, as there was talk about gamma world. That might include some psionic/mystic relevance.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-13, 10:45 AM
I'm going to say it going to psionic/mystic.

Beleriphon
2017-03-13, 10:52 AM
I'm going to say it going to psionic/mystic.

I can hope only hope that today's UA will let me play a radioactive yeti mystic.... in Eberron.

khadgar567
2017-03-13, 10:55 AM
I can hope only hope that today's UA will let me play a radioactive yeti mystic.... in Eberron.
me to mate

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 10:57 AM
Nah, they're going to make people wait a little longer. I'm betting it'll either be another modern magic or a conversion for a different setting.

Millstone85
2017-03-13, 10:58 AM
I will be hoping for the mystic every time a new UA is approaching.
I want to see what the complete class can be like.

Hrugner
2017-03-13, 11:03 AM
We had mass combat then traps. I'm expecting detailed overland travel rules or something.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 11:04 AM
We had mass combat then traps. I'm expecting detailed overland travel rules or something.

So the Journey phase of "Middle Earth in 5e" :smalltongue:

Arkhios
2017-03-13, 11:08 AM

I'm guessing it might deal with poisons and crafting.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 11:13 AM
Wanting mystic really badly, therefore expecting the actual article will be something like, "How to Properly Weatherproof Your Dungeon."

"Just Because You Have a Pit Trap, Doesn't Mean Your Heating Bill Should Be One."

Oramac
2017-03-13, 11:13 AM
I'm guessing it might deal with poisons and crafting.

Well, if it makes poisons not suck ass it'll at least be useful.

King539
2017-03-13, 11:14 AM
Wanting mystic really badly, therefore expecting the actual article will be something like, "How to Properly Weatherproof Your Dungeon."

"Just Because You Have a Pit Trap, Doesn't Mean Your Heating Bill Should Be One."

I think the thread has just been won, and the article link hasn't even been posted.

TentacleSurpris
2017-03-13, 11:19 AM
I think it will be a system to describe and detail fortifications, castles, and villages.

Pex
2017-03-13, 11:22 AM
So the Journey phase of "Middle Earth in 5e" :smalltongue:

Ugh. The one thing I don't like about this product. Traveling reduced to a d12 roll to give arbitrary bonuses or penalties to dice rolls and/or decide what type of random encounter you get. I get it that journeys are part of the genre, but that's no different than generic campaigns. I want to play it through and not have a die dictate what happens and woe be to you if your party doesn't have someone be designated a particular role (Guide, Scout, Hunter, Look-Out).

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 11:25 AM
I'm going to speculate and say it might be another set of DM tool

Maybe something for the Social part of Social/Exploration/Combat.

Might also be about special places to explore.

Regitnui
2017-03-13, 11:45 AM
Might also be about special places to explore.

Magical areas are a thing from 3.5. They were areas or landmarks that provided magical effects akin to magic items. They did need to be renewed, and there were a limited amount of people that could get the bonus.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 11:59 AM
Magical areas are a thing from 3.5. They were areas or landmarks that provided magical effects akin to magic items. They did need to be renewed, and there were a limited amount of people that could get the bonus.

That sounds really cool, actually. (I didn't start playing until 5th, so a lot of 3.5 is new to me)

Typhon
2017-03-13, 12:00 PM

So like Nethril before it fell.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 12:01 PM
Ugh. The one thing I don't like about this product. Traveling reduced to a d12 roll to give arbitrary bonuses or penalties to dice rolls and/or decide what type of random encounter you get. I get it that journeys are part of the genre, but that's no different than generic campaigns. I want to play it through and not have a die dictate what happens and woe be to you if your party doesn't have someone be designated a particular role (Guide, Scout, Hunter, Look-Out).

Yeah, the journey phase is a pain in the @$$.

GandalfTheWhite
2017-03-13, 12:09 PM
Is it up yet? I can't seem to find a link. It's usually up by now. WHY ISN'T IT UP YET, DAMMIT? NO, I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 12:15 PM
Is it up yet? I can't seem to find a link. It's usually up by now. WHY ISN'T IT UP YET, DAMMIT? NO, I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I haven't seen a link for it yet. I keep refreshing the page.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 12:24 PM

Nice to see a man with my own well-cultivated sense of patience...

(goes back to furiously pressing F5 with the bloody stump of a finger)

Callin
2017-03-13, 12:32 PM
Other than Mystic I would LOVE to see mundane crafting rules. What we have now is so horrible its not worth it to craft anything.

tkuremento
2017-03-13, 12:33 PM
Other than Mystic I would LOVE to see mundane crafting rules. What we have now is so horrible its not worth it to craft anything.

Exactly, I need to know how long it takes to make frying pans and then string them up like a banjo.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 12:33 PM
It's half-passed 1:00, and it's not up yet...maybe they forgot to account for springing ahead an hour? (If these things are on a timer) :smalltongue:

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-13, 12:34 PM

That's kind of the idea.
5e is not 3e, wherein if you wanted a particular magic item, it was a trivial matter to obtain it.

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 12:34 PM
Well, PAX was this last weekend, so there might be delays because of that.

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 12:39 PM
That's kind of the idea.
5e is not 3e, wherein if you wanted a particular magic item, it was a trivial matter to obtain it.

Well, I don't disagree with the thought that it should be a harder process, I think they made it a little too hard for crafting in general, not just magical items. Crafting is one of those things that helps expand on a character beyond their class and stats.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 12:40 PM
Well, PAX was this last weekend, so there might be delays because of that.

Even so, they said on the last article that today would be the next one :smalltongue:

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-13, 12:44 PM
Yeah, the journey phase is a pain in the @$$. Are you saying that from DM perspective, player perspective, or both?

Ugh. The one thing I don't like about this product. Traveling reduced to a d12 roll to give arbitrary bonuses or penalties to dice rolls and/or decide what type of random encounter you get. I get it that journeys are part of the genre, but that's no different than generic campaigns. I want to play it through and not have a die dictate what happens and woe be to you if your party doesn't have someone be designated a particular role (Guide, Scout, Hunter, Look-Out). Exploration is part of the game. So is travel, and the world is presumed to be dangerous. Is your observation there from the player PoV or DM PoV?

DivisibleByZero
2017-03-13, 12:45 PM
Crafting is one of those things that helps expand on a character beyond their class and stats.

That's what Role Playing is for.

Beleriphon
2017-03-13, 12:46 PM
Even so, they said on the last article that today would be the next one :smalltongue:

Give it an hour, I don't recall if Washington does daylight savings.

DracoKnight
Are you saying that from DM perspective, player perspective, or both?

Both perspectives.

Llama513
Give it an hour, I don't recall if Washington does daylight savings.

Yes they do

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-13, 12:48 PM
That's what Role Playing is for. Back in Ancient Times (OD&D, 1e) when we got to name level we had the whole gamut of building a stronghold/temple, having henchmen and hirelings, and tithes/taxes to run them. It was kind of cool and got some of us into reading up on medieval history and castle design, as well as temple and cathedral architecture. It wasn't just good for the characters, it was good for the players.

(Heh, a friend of mine had a 13th level Wizard who finally got his wizard's tower finished, which the attracted adventurers/thieves trying to steal stuff from him. Let's say that the DM had as much fun with that as we did, since only two of us were close enough to help him ...)

fast forward about 20 years, and I'm in Italy visiting both Pompeii and Assisi. What I had learned about town/city planning and castle design helped me enjoy my touristic experiences in both places. Pisa, on the other hand, had a different lesson to teach: if you want to build a bloody great building, you need to really know the ground you are building upon.

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 12:53 PM
So in an effort to beat jaappleton to the punch this time (:smallwink:) what does everyone think we're getting today? The last two UA have been DM resources, so do you think we might be getting more DM resources, or do you think we'll go back to player-focused content?

EDIT: when the article actually drops, I'll link it here in the OP.

Mystic.

You'll need to take the Quickdraw feat to be faster than me :smallwink:

Llama513
2017-03-13, 12:55 PM
Mystic.

You'll need to take the Quickdraw feat to be faster than me :smallwink:

At last we get the mystic woo hooo

Fishybugs
Yes they do

Even so, it's almost 11:00 here, it's usually up by 0900. Things are probably running a little late, as was mentioned, because they all had a late-night flight back from Boston.

jaappleton
I am wondering if it might be a setting, as there was talk about gamma world. That might include some psionic/mystic relevance.

Gamma World, if Mearls releases it, won't be coming until after they're done with this flurry of UA material.

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 12:56 PM
At last we get the mystic woo hooo

Hey, that's just my guess. I'm not saying its definitive.

But Mearls did allude to it coming pretty soon.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 12:57 PM
Can we get the link

Llama513
2017-03-13, 12:59 PM

Oh I thought it was up, darn

Malaketh
2017-03-13, 12:59 PM

Soon™....That's the key word

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 01:01 PM
Soon™....That's the key word

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mearls, Perkins and Crawford say a lot by saying very little.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 01:02 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Mearls, Perkins and Crawford say a lot by saying very little.

Indeed they do.

GandalfTheWhite
2017-03-13, 01:10 PM
So they're an hour late at this point... :smallmad:

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 01:11 PM
I no longer have a functioning F5 key...

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 01:12 PM
So they're an hour late at this point... :smallmad:

Daylight Savings is in effect in the US. It's currently 2pm on the East Coast and 11am on the West Coast.

Callin
2017-03-13, 01:13 PM
That's kind of the idea.

I said mundane not magic item crafting. I could care less about crafting a +1 Longsword. Unless I was doing it like Bruenor Battlehammer did. THAT is how I wish magic item crafting went. I want to be able to just craft a suit of armor if I need to or Healing Potions or Antidotes or ANYTHING honestly and not have it take forever and a day.

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-13, 01:13 PM
Both perspectives. Can you elaborate a touch on why you feel that way?

GandalfTheWhite
2017-03-13, 01:14 PM
I no longer have a functioning F5 key...

#same

Daylight Savings is in effect in the US. It's currently 2pm on the East Coast and 11am on the West Coast.

I know it is ('m from Texas, and live in Cali), but they usually have it up by 10am PST.

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 01:15 PM
WHAT?!?!?!!

*calls boss on cell while running out the door*

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 01:16 PM
Can you elaborate a touch on why you feel that way?

From a DM perspective, I want the party traveling to be as simple as possible, I don't want to hamper them too much so that they're ready for the next encounter.

From a player perspective, the standard 5e is system is a lot less punishing, and I don't know if the Middle Earth writers realize just hoe punishing exhaustion is.

Hrugner
2017-03-13, 01:16 PM
WHAT?!?!?!!

*calls boss on cell while running out the door*

Late for doctoring probably isn't a big deal, but if your late for some samurai **** then heads won't roll.

GandalfTheWhite
2017-03-13, 01:21 PM
Seriously, when in the danged hells is this thing gonna upload?

j_spencer93
2017-03-13, 01:31 PM
Starting to think they forgot or postponed it.

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 01:39 PM
Starting to think they forgot or postponed it.

Crawford just confirmed to me that a UA article is scheduled for release today.

EDIT: He also just said it'll appear 'later today'.

That tells me that after PAX, someone forgot to upload something on time. :smalltongue:

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 01:39 PM
Late for doctoring probably isn't a big deal, but if your late for some samurai **** then heads won't roll.
The daimyo tolerates no tardiness. If I am late, MY head will roll!

Just kidding, lol.

He'd force me to commit seppuku.

But they still decapitate you! I hear you shouting, Your head will still roll!

Done properly, my head should remain just barely attached and hang forward.

Dang... maybe I should just call out sick...

Hrugner
2017-03-13, 01:40 PM
The daimyo tolerates no tardiness. If I am late, MY head will roll!

Just kidding, lol.

He'd force me to commit seppuku.

But they still decapitate you! I hear you shouting, Your head will still roll!

Done properly, my head should remain just barely attached and hang forward.

Dang... maybe I should just call out sick...

"I can't come in, I feel like my head is about to fall off!" it isn't even a lie.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-13, 01:57 PM
I'm going to change my prediction and say that it's going to be about crafting this time. I think they're working on another book to add to our collection so that the Unearthed Arcana classes will be put in and then with all these new rules so we're probably going to be seeing a whole bunch of new rule updates so and this one I'm predicting it's going to be about crafting.

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 01:58 PM
I'm going to change my prediction and say that it's going to be about crafting this time. I think they're working on another book to add to our collection so that the Unearthed Arcana classes will be put in and then with all these new rules so we're probably going to be seeing a whole bunch of new rule updates so and this one I'm predicting it's going to be about crafting.

Are you suggesting a Phb 2???

Auramis
2017-03-13, 01:59 PM
An update on when the UA is coming out from Jeremy Crawford was put up on Twitter (https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/841358131066150913).

Something is coming …

What is it? I know! Unearthed Arcana. It will appear later today. #DnD #WOTCstaff

Patience is a virtue... I tell myself as I wait impatiently.

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 02:04 PM
II want to be able to just craft a suit of armor if I need to or Healing Potions or Antidotes or ANYTHING honestly and not have it take forever and a day.

Don't it take a day per 10 gold coins, if you do it alone?

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 02:11 PM
"I can't come in, I feel like my head is about to fall off!" it isn't even a lie.
That's... perfect...

I think it will be Mystic. Jeremy poking fun on Twitter makes me think it's something the seemingly larger player base will like. But allow me to hedge by pointing out that I'm a doctor and a samurai, not a seer.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 02:15 PM
That's... perfect...

I think it will be Mystic. Jeremy poking fun on Twitter makes me think it's something the seemingly larger player base will like. But allow me to hedge by pointing out that I'm a doctor and a samurai, not a seer.

That and I doubt that we would have this big of a delay if it wasn't mystic, as the final check on something like mystic is going to take much more time than the other material we've gotten, and it sounds like it is going to be a big file

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 02:16 PM
That and I doubt that we would have this big of a delay if it wasn't mystic, as the final check on something like mystic is going to take much more time than the other material we've gotten, and it sounds like it is going to be a big file

UA Presents: New optional rules for character downtime activities :smallbiggrin:

Deleted
2017-03-13, 02:17 PM
Hoping for mystic, but prepared to be disappointed.

I'm hoping for something useful/interesting, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 02:18 PM
UA Presents: New optional rules for character downtime activities :smallbiggrin:

FINALLY! I get to make my underwater basket weaving Barbarian!

Llama513
2017-03-13, 02:18 PM

I'm really glad that you are joking, based on the :smallbiggrin:, and that its not on the site

Foxhound438
2017-03-13, 02:19 PM
you know... it's spring break, and I intentionally slept in until 1:00 here so I wouldn't have to wait for the UA to drop... and here I am.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 02:20 PM
Any idea as to what time it might be released or are we all just waiting blindly

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 02:21 PM
Any idea as to what time it might be released or are we all just waiting blindly

Like blindness was cast on us... :smallannoyed:

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-13, 02:22 PM
FINALLY! I get to make my underwater basket weaving Barbarian! If you don't name the character Longabearbar I'll be so disappointed. :smallbiggrin:

DanyBallon
2017-03-13, 02:23 PM

I guess the later is the answer :smalltongue:

Llama513
2017-03-13, 02:28 PM
Well heres hoping it is not too much longer

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 02:32 PM
It's up...

... to you guys to keep the rest of us updated on this. Because I'm away from my computer and can't stick around to keep refreshing the page. Thank you.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 02:34 PM
It's up...

... to you guys to keep the rest of us updated on this. Because I'm away from my computer and can't stick around to keep refreshing the page. Thank you.

EVIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smalltongue:

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 02:35 PM
It's up...

You can go die in a hole now ;-;

Oramac
It's up...

I lol'd. :D

Trum4n1208
It's up...

I hate that I fell for this =P

j_spencer93
It's up...

You just ruined my day. Got all excited and checked...

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 02:36 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6f1b2kZ9O1qbatzio1_500.jpg

Fishybugs
2017-03-13, 02:37 PM
It's up...

That was a mistake...Guiren is going down.

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 02:46 PM
Link in the spoiler!

http://www.smashbros.com/images/og/link.jpg

Please don't hurt me...

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 02:47 PM
Hoping for Mystics myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more DM-toys. Maybe one about magic items or something.

Llama513
Link in the spoiler!

Please don't hurt me...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/cONmzaT4x10/maxresdefault.jpg

Arenabait
Link in the spoiler!

Please don't hurt me...

Begins beating you senseless with last week's UA.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 02:49 PM
Link in the spoiler!

Please don't hurt me...

I am convinced that you and Dr.Samurai are Chaotic Evil now.

Xethik
2017-03-13, 02:49 PM
If it's not Mystic after all this abuse, I might explode.

Chaosmancer
2017-03-13, 02:51 PM
You know, this seems like more fun than the UA.

I'm still refreshing occasionally, but what can you do.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-13, 02:53 PM
I'm hoping for something like:

Eberron style common low level magic
Crafting rules that don't feel like a placeholder for a system to be developed later
so many other things
Warforged scout/charger/cavalier/warrior type subraces for that pretty awful warforged base race a while back

But really I'm expecting something I'd rank right around

Great axe vrs polearm vrs dual wield

I also wouldn't be surprised if it was about that obsidian portal/scabbard/toll20esque toolkit thing.

Fishybugs
2017-03-13, 03:00 PM
I am convinced that you and Dr.Samurai are Chaotic Evil now.

Seconded...

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 03:00 PM
Rules for roleplaying? Seriously? This has to be a joke.

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 03:04 PM

I might block you... You just gave me a heart attack man! STAHP, FOR ALL OF OUR SANITY, PLEASE STOP!

EDIT: It wasn't actually rules for RP.

Idkwhatmyscreen
We are 4 pages in and nothing yet?

Steampunkette
Honestly I'm more NG with Chaotic tendencies.

MasterMercury
2017-03-13, 03:05 PM

What? Is that the article?

EDIT: I am a Int 8 half-orc Barbarian

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 03:05 PM
I might block you... You just gave me a heart attack man! STAHP, FOR ALL OF OUR SANITY, PLEASE STOP!
Oh my, that's embarrassing. I'm so sorry. I meant to respond to the "Roleplaying Rules" thread.

Dragolord
2017-03-13, 03:06 PM
Oh my, that's embarrassing. I'm so sorry. I meant to respond to the "Roleplaying Rules" thread.

Of course you did.

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 03:07 PM

Nah, I'm just kidding, really! But please don't make me have another heart attack.

Regitnui
2017-03-13, 03:07 PM
Right, I'll check.in the morning.

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 03:08 PM
That was a mistake...Guiren is going down.
What did Guiren ever do to you guys? (Actions taken while possessed by an evil spirit do not count.)

I don't know what alignment I am, but since I'm a KITH fan as well, I guess it'd be close to Steampunkette! :smallbiggrin:

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 03:13 PM
When the link does go live, with all of these scares, I doubt anybody will click on it

Dragolord
2017-03-13, 03:13 PM
You know... there are a few tiny American islands where it isn't quite a quarter past eight in the morning. This could be a long wait.

Foxhound438
2017-03-13, 03:14 PM
Nah, I'm just kidding, really! But please don't make me have another heart attack.

if Darkest Dungeon is to be believed on the subject, it's the second one that kills you

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 03:20 PM
Guys It's Alive

http://ibrandolab.com/lab/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/its-alive-1200x475.jpg

Did everybody die? I'm sorry if I killed all of you

MadBear
2017-03-13, 03:23 PM
And finally here it is.
UA: How to Roll Play (http://giphy.com/gifs/lyrics-pandawhale-gon-zLifsy8VqCMAU)

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 03:25 PM
The trolling here is intense. I should've brought some alchemist fire and acid flasks.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 03:26 PM
And finally here it is.
UA: How to Roll Play (http://giphy.com/gifs/lyrics-pandawhale-gon-zLifsy8VqCMAU)

I think this tread is dead now, everybody just moved on with there day...

Is the UA happening today, lore says so, but I have begun to doubt. Soon the day will end and what will we have to show for it, a bunch of cheap jump scares? A meme that was Old when I did it, I think I am going insane

PhantomSoul
2017-03-13, 03:28 PM
Apparently it really is coming today:

"Something is coming …

What is it? I know! Unearthed Arcana. It will appear later today. #DnD #WOTCstaff"

(I tried linking the tweet, but don't have enough posts yet. It's from about two hours ago.)

Dr.Samurai
2017-03-13, 03:29 PM
...a bunch of cheap jump scares...
Wow, just... wow, unbelievable. Cheap jump scares, huh? You know what? You know what?

*rolls Sleight of Hand, 17 on the die*

Yeah, I'm taking that umbrage!

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 03:31 PM
Wow, just... wow, unbelievable. Cheap jump scares, huh? You know what? You know what?

*rolls Sleight of Hand, 17 on the die*

Yeah, I'm taking that umbrage!

Did you win a Sleight of Hand check? Or did I crit a Deception check?:smallsmile:

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 03:42 PM
Did you win a Sleight of Hand check? Or did I crit a Deception check?:smallsmile:

Yes...
/Kosh

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 03:46 PM
I wish Crawford or Mearls would at least tell us what it -is-, since it's gonna be so damned late...

Sir cryosin
2017-03-13, 03:47 PM
Are you suggesting a Phb 2???

Yes and no it'll be a book with all the up dated rules and the new class archetypes. But they said before that if they do make a new book it not going to be called phb 2. Because they don't want player to get books mixed.

Also I can't remember we're I read this or if it was a rumor. But they said that they will be putting out a crunch book aka a book of rules.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 03:48 PM
I wish Crawford or Mearls would at least tell us what it -is-, since it's gonna be so damned late...

After everything that's gone on here today, can you honestly say you would trust anything anyone said about what the UA is going to be?

MadBear
2017-03-13, 03:50 PM
After everything that's gone on here today, can you honestly say you would trust anything anyone said about what the UA is going to be?

At this point, I don't think people will even trust the actual UA as being truthful over what it's going to be.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 03:59 PM
At this point, I don't think people will even trust the actual UA as being truthful over what it's going to be.

The UA article could be "The Mystic, no really!" And I'm pretty sure most of us would be like, "No way pal, not this time..."

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:01 PM
The UA article could be "The Mystic, no really!" And I'm pretty sure most of us would be like, "No way pal, not this time..."

Or worse, the UA could be about Role-Playing as a system in the game for Dm reference

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 04:06 PM
Finally!!!!

This thread has gotten to 5 pages.
I'd almost dread to think the UA might be about linking it to DnD Beyond.

Maybe rules for adding cute clothes for your familiars, companions, steeds?

Or maybe foods? Like just a list of oddball fantasy foods?

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 04:08 PM
If we don't get SOMETHING freaking good, I'm going to blow a casket. Hell, maybe we could get some actual Unearthed Arcana, like the original book! (Maybe a bit less OP though, please?)

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:09 PM
Finally!!!!

This thread has gotten to 5 pages.
I'd almost dread to think the UA might be about linking it to DnD Beyond.

Maybe rules for adding cute clothes for your familiars, companions, steeds?

Or maybe foods? Like just a list of oddball fantasy foods?

5 pages of discussion on the UA before it is even released, must be a new record

tkuremento
2017-03-13, 04:11 PM
5 pages of discussion on the UA before it is even released, must be a new record

I'd hardly call half of this discussion, as it is mostly trolling and replies to said trolling.

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 04:12 PM
If we don't get SOMETHING freaking good, I'm going to blow a casket. Hell, maybe we could get some actual Unearthed Arcana, like the original book! (Maybe a bit less OP though, please?)

Do you mean gasket, as in a seal...
Or casket as in necromancy? Cause the second one would be cool

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:15 PM

The New UA: Embalming and Burial

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 04:19 PM

'''Yes.'''

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 04:19 PM
The New UA: Embalming and Burial

Even if you're being silly, it could happen. The undead deserve some love to.

Not THAT kind of love, though.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 04:20 PM
Really annoyed that it's not up yet. It's almost 3 1/2 hours passed due.

Chaosmancer
2017-03-13, 04:25 PM
I'd hardly call half of this discussion, as it is mostly trolling and replies to said trolling.

Isn't that what discussion is all about though?

We are on the Internet after all.

Steampunkette
2017-03-13, 04:26 PM

Depends on the undead and the sparkliness of their torso...

Idkwhatmyscreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDbSyfU_04

Feels Appropriate for the wait

Llama513

Yeah, I really do hope it comes out soon, but we have gotten no sign about when since being told that it is coming out today

KorvinStarmast
2017-03-13, 04:29 PM
Hell, maybe we could get some actual Unearthed Arcana, like the original book! (Maybe a bit less OP though, please?) Sure, let's bring back the Cavalier class and Weapons Specialization/bonuses. :smallbiggrin: And the Kopesh.

Kileonhardt
2017-03-13, 04:31 PM

I blame PAX East. That's the only logical reason I can find for it being late when we didn't get one last week.

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 04:32 PM
Sure, let's bring back the Cavalier class

Yeah, Eric needs recognition!

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:37 PM
I blame PAX East. That's the only logical reason I can find for it being late when we didn't get one last week.

Let's not forget DST here. There are probably more zombies then usual at the WoTC headquarters today

(Never forget the Hour we lost yesterday, never forget)

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 04:39 PM

Well thats an certainly another take on blowing a casket...

Malaketh
2017-03-13, 04:44 PM
Why am I having visions of Mearle and Crawford sitting in some den by a fire place, smoking Cubans, with a glass of bourbon, and laughing?

tkuremento
Isn't that what discussion is all about though?

We are on the Internet after all.

Finding semi-clever ways to trick people into believe it is live when it wasn't is not really a discussion ABOUT the UA.

Dudu
Everyone hoping for Mystic and here I am hoping for spells, mosly for cleric. And some other damaging cantrips other than Sacred Flame.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 04:45 PM
Why am I having visions of Mearle and Crawford sitting in some den by a fire place, smoking Cubans, with a glass of bourbon, and laughing?

You accidentally cast scrying

Videkus
2017-03-13, 04:45 PM
There we go UA: Companions and Cohorts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:46 PM
There we go UA: Companions and Cohorts (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

I knew it was fake and clicked anyway

Arenabait
2017-03-13, 04:47 PM
Everyone hoping for Mystic and here I am hoping for spells...

Me too man, me too...

Dudu
2017-03-13, 04:51 PM
2017 and I'm still getting Rick Rolled.

Me too man, me too...
They could even make a whole UA about cantrips, would instantly become my favorite UA.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 04:52 PM
They could even make a whole UA about cantrips, would instantly become my favorite UA.

That would indeed be wonderful! :smallbiggrin:

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 04:52 PM

Yeah cantrips would be nice

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 04:53 PM
We have a lot of spells already.

Inchoroi
2017-03-13, 04:54 PM

Oh, god...dying...send help...

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 04:54 PM
More manuvuers would be awesome

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 04:55 PM
We have a lot of spells already.

Spells are like chips or cats, you can always have more.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:00 PM

While I agree with you, I really want Mystic, however I would not be devastated to get spells,but it's been month's since we got the hint at the Mystic update, and have been waiting all day for this UA, really hoping for Mysitc

JackPhoenix
2017-03-13, 05:00 PM
2017 and I'm still getting Rick Rolled.

I've noticed it's a youtube link before I've clicked it, but I wasn't Rick Rolled... the video is unavailable in my country.

Idkwhatmyscreen
2017-03-13, 05:05 PM
We are on page six, page six and no UA

Legend says that if we reach page 8 with no UA, then the entire internet will crash

Malaketh
2017-03-13, 05:08 PM
Greg Leeds called, he said Crawford is in a corner pouting that he will not release the UA until this topic reaches 10 pages!

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:09 PM
Greg Leeds called, he said Crawford is in a corner pouting that he will not release the UA until this topic reaches 10 pages!

Well then we've got work to do, everyone get to posting

Dudu
2017-03-13, 05:09 PM
Indeed. But I usually play a spellcaster, so my interests are more leaned towards spells.

We are on page six, page six and no UA

Legend says that if we reach page 8 with no UA, then the entire internet will crash

Let's twist this thread into an aligment discussion so we can crash the internet twice in less than 10 minutes.

Me first:
I think alignments are BS.

hymer
2017-03-13, 05:10 PM

This (http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/0227_UATraps.pdf) is either remarkably incidental, or I'm just misunderstanding.

Inchoroi
2017-03-13, 05:13 PM
Indeed. But I usually play a spellcaster, so my interests are more leaned towards spells.

Let's twist this thread into an aligment discussion so we can crash the internet twice in less than 10 minutes.

Me first:
I think alignments are BS.

I actually made alignments have physical weight in my setting; but alignments are not something applied by others, but rather by the choices you make, have made, and, sometimes, will make. Then again, I've always liked alignments, and the conundrums they bring. One of the favorite short stories I ever wrote was a man who destiny said would be lawful evil, but he chose to be something else; he was still lawful evil, but he chose to do good anyway, in spite of his tendencies. Ian was fun, as a character. Just slightly crazy.

Chaosmancer
2017-03-13, 05:13 PM

You know, I am aware rick rolling is an internet thing, but I don't actually know why it is a thing. I decided to listen to the song, it isn't bad. Of course, I didn't watch the video because I was typing this comment instead.

So... why is this a thing?

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:19 PM
You know, I am aware rick rolling is an internet thing, but I don't actually know why it is a thing. I decided to listen to the song, it isn't bad. Of course, I didn't watch the video because I was typing this comment instead.

Not sure why that song in particular, I think it has to do with the cheesiness of the video, but as for why that song in particular I don't known

tkuremento
2017-03-13, 05:21 PM

4chan, a lot of internet "meme"s and trend seem to come from there.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:22 PM
It's EBERRON (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.1.pdf)! :smallbiggrin:

OH! I'm so happy I'm dying! :smallbiggrin:

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 05:22 PM
What if it was actually another traps revisit for this week's UA, but since no one believes it and is clicking it, no one knows? And Crawford and Mearls don't want to admit they did another week for traps, so they're quickly throwing something together while pretending they haven't issued this week's UA yet?

Foxhound438
2017-03-13, 05:23 PM

I dunno man, could be anything (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igRWAYFedr0)

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:23 PM
It's EBERRON (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.1.pdf)! :smallbiggrin:

Really, they got to you to, we are all slowly falling into maddness

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:24 PM
Really, they got to you to, we are all slowly falling into maddness

What does it say about the state of my sanity that I'm trolling my own thread?

Inchoroi
2017-03-13, 05:24 PM

I hate you.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:25 PM
I hate you.

Let the hate flow through you! Use your anger and your hatred to strike me down!

Lawful Good
2017-03-13, 05:26 PM

OK I THOUGHT THE OTHER POSTER WAS EXAGGERATING BUT I HAD A LEGIT HEART ATTACK HAVE YOU NO SOUL

it was still pretty funny tho

My turn for alignments:

I think that alignments are the best way to go, straight from the book, and anyone who disagrees is wrong and needs to play the game right :wink:*
*please don't hurt me

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:27 PM
At least this thread has been entertaining while we wait, but I am starting to worry that we might not see the article today

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 05:28 PM
They will probably mine this thread for great April Fools UAs

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:29 PM

There are some beautiful ideas here, however I don't know if they need our help for that

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:29 PM
OK I THOUGHT THE OTHER POSTER WAS EXAGGERATING BUT I HAD A LEGIT HEART ATTACK HAVE YOU NO SOUL

My turn for alignments:

I think that alignments are the best way to go, straight from the book, and anyone who disagrees is wrong and needs to play the game right :wink:*
*please don't hurt me

My apologies, Good Sir! I'm also currently crying tears of laughter at your response.

At least this thread has been entertaining while we wait, but I am starting to worry that we might not see the article today

I am too :smallannoyed:

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:30 PM

There are some beautiful ideas here, however I don't know if they need our help for that

Especially since someone Tweeted them the link cough, coughmecough,cough asking them to hurry it up before we all go crazy.

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 05:32 PM

3.5 design team in a nutshell.

MasterMercury
2017-03-13, 05:33 PM

My turn for alignments:

*please don't hurt me

Ha. The Trolling is strong with this one. I was fooled for a second, but then I realized I read that already.

Alignment is a role-playing guideline, and a vital part of the D&D ethos. The idea that there is GOOD and EVIL in this world is a fundamental part of the game. And the alignments are a part of that.

For further derailment, what has been your favorite UA so far?
Personally, I love the variant Druid Wildshape rules. It leads to so much more role-playing and growth than the original.

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 05:33 PM

It's a catchy song about not betraying people, used to trick people

Lawful Good
2017-03-13, 05:34 PM
BLASPHEMY

I swear, if we don't get Mystic after all this time I will probably be mildly upset.

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:34 PM
Ha. The Trolling is strong with this one. I was fooled for a second, but then I realized I read that already.

Alignment is a role-playing guideline, and a vital part of the D&D ethos. The idea that there is GOOD and EVIL in this world is a fundamental part of the game. And the alignments are a part of that.

Personally, I love the variant Druid Wildshape rules. It leads to so much more role-playing and growth than the original.

My favorite UA, has been the Druid UA for the variant Wildshape rules for the same reason you stated, and it allows you to make a dino druid using lizardfolk and those rules

Beechgnome
2017-03-13, 05:35 PM
I keep refreshing their old link to Mystic Take Two in hopes it will turn into Take three. That, like everything else, gets me no closer to my fix. If the real link does come, I'm not sure I'll believe it.

Zilong
2017-03-13, 05:36 PM
Just doing my part to inn this thread far enough to satisfy the devs. Incidentally, I like the alignment descriptors just fine as long as dms don't try to make them work like laws.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:37 PM

I'm actually going to give a serious answer to this question: Phoenix Sorcerer, Hexblade Warlock, Undying Light Warlock, and the Kensei Monk. All of them need tweaking, to be sure (Mantle of Flame needs to be usable more than 1/rest, UL Warlock is broken with Multiclassing, Hexblade...actually is mostly fine if you can ignore the fact that Hex Warrior and Curse Bringer should be compatible, and Kensei weapons need to be monk weapons), but I love the theme behind all of them! :smallbiggrin:

Temperjoke
Eastern US is getting hit pretty hard with snow, so that might be affecting things too.

Foxhound438
I found it guys! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8&list=PL5wIANSfIdw_7vtJe9T5Y5WTiF2kAnZoW)

something to do while we wait!

Llama513
2017-03-13, 05:38 PM
Eastern US is getting hit pretty hard with snow, so that might be affecting things too.

They are on the West Coast

Lawful Good
2017-03-13, 05:38 PM

Probably Warlock Eberron Revised Ranger
I can't choose

Druid was cool, though

*EDIT* Actually, to be honest, I loved the seeker pact warlock. I know others probably won't think of it, but I love the concept.

Inchoroi
2017-03-13, 05:39 PM
Let the hate flow through you! Use your anger and your hatred to strike me down!

Last time I let the hate flow through me, all my players' character's died horribly.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 05:40 PM
Last time I let the hate flow through me, all my players' character's died horribly.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

WAIT! wtf?! THEY...YAAY! I'm so happy! :smallbiggrin:

Lawful Good
last time i let the hate flow through me, all my players' character's died horribly.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/uamystic3.pdf

gggghghghghghghghghghghhggggggggg

Llama513
last time i let the hate flow through me, all my players' character's died horribly.

http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/uamystic3.pdf

at last we are free, it has come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 05:41 PM

The Revised Ranger gets my biggest thumbs up, though there have been several UA that I've really enjoyed.

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 05:42 PM
They are on the West Coast

Yeah, but PAX East was this weekend, if key people were flying...

In any case it's up now.

EDIT: jeez, that's a lot of content

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 05:51 PM
"Baron von Ludwig was always proud of his grand library. Little did he know that eachevening, a gnome laden with blank scrolls slipped past his guards each night and dutifully copied his most heavily guarded archives."

You wouldn't download a spellbook...

Sicarius Victis
2017-03-13, 05:53 PM
Is it just me, or are there no Soulknife disciplines?

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 05:56 PM
"Selecting Quirks
To add some texture to your mystic, consider the quirks your character has acquired. These
behaviors have no game effect, but your character might become irritated or upset if forced to break them"

Have they been reading those threads with the "classes can't tell you how to behave"/"there should be mechanical restrictions to make people obey the class's tennets" stuff those last few days?

Temperjoke
2017-03-13, 05:59 PM
"Selecting Quirks
To add some texture to your mystic, consider the quirks your character has acquired. These
behaviors have no game effect, but your character might become irritated or upset if forced to break them"

Have they been reading those threads with the "classes can't tell you how to behave"/"there should be mechanical restrictions to make people obey the class's tennets" stuff those last few days?

Not necessarily, those sorts of arguments have been going around forever.

GhorrinRedblade
2017-03-13, 06:04 PM
/has_psigasm

jaappleton
2017-03-13, 06:06 PM
Called it.

Millstone85
2017-03-13, 06:07 PM
So they removed any mention of the Far Realm or a reality-breaking event. Some will be happy. But these quirks, I don't know.

Psionics is a special form of magic use, distinct from spellcasting.Okay so now psionic disciplines are magic, just not spells. That ought to make for an interesting discussion.

Unoriginal
2017-03-13, 06:10 PM
So, Mystics are like the polar opposite of Warlocks. Internal power vs external power. Learning from yourself vs learning from Outisders.

Also, interesting: I note the Giant Form power does not increase your Strength.

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 06:11 PM
It's going to take me a bit to digest all this tasty new class info, but so far, I love it, and it seems a bit on the strong side.

The Nomad style in particular tickles my fancy.

Fishybugs
2017-03-13, 06:14 PM
Looks like a lot of bookkeeping while playing, but it could be fun for those who have been waiting for it.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-03-13, 06:14 PM
Wu Jen seems fairly good. 2 psi points for shield - yes please.

It also strikes me that, given the lack of extra attack, High Elf for Booming/Greenflame Blade is the obvious race choice here.

Beechgnome
2017-03-13, 06:15 PM
Jeez that's a lot of words. Looks like we've all got homework tonight.

Foxhound438
2017-03-13, 06:16 PM
mastery of light and darkness, radiant beam: basically a 6th level spell except you get it at character level 5. I guess you can only hit 1 thing at a time with it, but since sunbeam is a line you're probably hitting one thing with that anyways. I guess wizards really can't help but break psionics. It's harsh, but this is a no go for the entire class if I can skim through it and find something this broken. I know it's possible that the rest is fairly okay, but I feel like it's too much of a chore to scour through all the different things the class gives you to find anything that might be broken.

sightlessrealit
2017-03-13, 06:16 PM
Order of the Wujin seems stupidly powerful when combined with the Lore Mastery Wizard's 6th level ability..........or even combined with a Sorcerer.

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 06:17 PM
Is it just me, or are there no Soulknife disciplines?

https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/841425473661952000

Seems to be by choice.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-03-13, 06:19 PM
Also, is it just me or do the costs on most damaging effects seem a little high? Haven't quite finished it yet, but I can't see anything that matches the pound-for-pound efficiency of being a Wu Jen and spamming scorching ray or fireball.

Also also, Phantom Idea (in Psychic Inquisition) is awesome, hilarious, and probably rather broken. (How about giving them the idea "My life's not worth living anymore and I should end it right now"? Or perhaps "Jim the Mystic is the most wonderful person ever and I should obey him totally and without question"?)

Callin
2017-03-13, 06:32 PM
PAGE 8 and the Internet is still here.. dangit.

Bugado25
2017-03-13, 06:45 PM
Is it me or the Avatar subclass looks like a Warlord?

Stan
2017-03-13, 06:47 PM
I haven't looked at all of the options, but I'm guessing there are going to be several strong options for a 1 level dip into mystic. It would give you 1 talent, 3 disciplines (including 2 from the chosen order), and a few other bits. You wouldn't have many psi points to work with but you'd have 3 focuses to choose from without point usage and a few other toys to play with.

A 2 level dip adds 6 hp/day, telepathy and 2 more psi points - not great overall.

A 3 level dip adds a bunch more psi points, another talent, another discipline and a mystic order feature - if you don't stop at one, you'd want to go to level 3.

Started at the talents, some strong ones but nothing super op.
Mind thrust is d10s with an Int save. There are a lot of stupid creatures who are going to get their mind blown. Plus resistance to psychic damage is rare.
Energy beam allows you do dial among 5 damage types, though not force or necrotic, thankfully.

A few weak talents:
I'm guessing Mind Meld is vestigial as Mystics get telepathy for free at level 2.
Blade Meld - you spend a bonus action to not drop a weapon for a minute. That's it. Disarming is so rare that it would be useful maybe once a campaign. I'd rather it also give +2 to hit as your weapon is now a part of you. Or reduce the duration to 1 round but add both str and dex to hit and damage.
Light Step - bonus action to have speed increase by 10 for one round. And stand up for free. It should also allow movement over difficult terrain without penalty.

Foxhound438
2017-03-13, 06:48 PM
Also, is it just me or do the costs on most damaging effects seem a little high? Haven't quite finished it yet, but I can't see anything that matches the pound-for-pound efficiency of being a Wu Jen and spamming scorching ray or fireball.

Also also, Phantom Idea (in Psychic Inquisition) is awesome, hilarious, and probably rather broken. (How about giving them the idea "My life's not worth living anymore and I should end it right now"? Or perhaps "Jim the Mystic is the most wonderful person ever and I should obey him totally and without question"?)

for some maybe? for others, definitely not- perhaps even undercosted in a lot of cases. for 5 psi points (equivalent to a 3rd level spell) you get to do a repeatable 6d6 attack that blinds things for the duration, for 7 points (5th level spell) you can get a fireball area+damage with a stun tacked on (as in they literally can't do anything), for 6 points you can do a 60 foot cone of 8d8 psychic damage (aka cheaper cone of cold with a massively better damage type)...

Syll
2017-03-13, 06:49 PM
Am I reading this right?

Outside of the initial bonus of 2 Disciplines known (that must match your chosen Order) you are free to learn any discipline?

rooneg
2017-03-13, 06:50 PM
I'd just like to say that I absolutely hate the "quirks" bit. Now to read the rest...

Sicarius Victis
2017-03-13, 06:53 PM
Is it me or the Avatar subclass looks like a Warlord?

Closer to an Ardent, really.

Am I reading this right?

Outside of the initial bonus of 2 Disciplines known (that must match your chosen Order) you are free to learn any discipline?

Correct. Otherwise, the Soulknife would never be able to learn any disciplines.

MasterMercury
2017-03-13, 06:54 PM
Telepathy. Finally, my great old one warlock can talk to someone who can talk back.

That's pretty much all I've gotten so far.

pwykersotz
2017-03-13, 07:05 PM
Not a fan of the complexity. I hope they streamline it a bit. Psionic Mastery is a mess. Between 1-4 uses of a move that grants you between 9-11 power points that can activate multiple disciplines that require concentration, but not non-disciplines which override or are overridden by the multi-concentration?

That's annoying to parse.

Beechgnome
2017-03-13, 07:06 PM
Looks like I'll be able make an Ant-Man character after all: Diminution plus Growth. Too bad the Wu JEN didn't have the old drowsy insects spell or something similar.

Kileonhardt
2017-03-13, 07:13 PM
Hoooo boy that was a nice long read. So many Cha based save or suck abilities on some of the disciplines, a lot of cool utility for being a detective or battlefield controller, some ridiculously high burst potential, and some really nice order choices. All in all I give this release a 9/10.

Spellbreaker26
2017-03-13, 07:15 PM
Just flicking through, but the Soulknife seems really frontloaded, especially with that level 3 ability.

Millstone85
2017-03-13, 07:16 PM
If I understand correctly, a discipline that doesn't recreate a spell couldn't be counterspelled or dispelled, but it could be antimagicked, as it is a magical effect.

sightlessrealit
2017-03-13, 07:17 PM
Arcane Dabbler
At 6th level, you learn three wizard spells of your choice and always have them prepared. The spells must be of 1st through3rd level.As a bonus action, you can spend psi points to create spell slots that you can use to cast these spells, as well as other spells you are capable of casting. The psi-point cost of each spell slot is detailed on the table below.
Spell
Slot Level
Psi Cost
1st - 2
2nd - 3
3rd - 5
4th - 6
5th - 7
The spell slot remains until you use it or finish a long rest. You must observe your psi limit when spending psi
points to create a spell slot.Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the chosen wizard
spells with a different wizard spell of 1st through 3rd level.

So.....at 6th level you have 32 Psi-Points to work with and you are limited to only using 5 Psi-Points for any ability. So basically you can make up to 3rd level spell slots. For those spell slots you are not limited to just using the spells Mystic gives you. This seems............over powered when multi classing a Sorcerer or...........even Lore Master Wizard or even worse than that, both of those classes. You'll be gimping yourself but you have a ton of flexibility and spell modifying that it doesn't matter as much.

Syll
2017-03-13, 07:21 PM
Still far too much to take in....

But I'm getting the distinct feeling that Mystic is the class I've always wanted, and the class I tried to make Warlock to be. Now if only there was an order that gave Extra Attack..

Kileonhardt
2017-03-13, 07:24 PM
Still far too much to take in....

But I'm getting the distinct feeling that Mystic is the class I've always wanted, and the class I tried to make Warlock to be. Now if only there was an order that gave Extra Attack..

I like that they don't have extra attack and instead have a slew of abilities that use their action and bonus action to do loads of damage.

rooneg
2017-03-13, 07:29 PM
I like that they don't have extra attack and instead have a slew of abilities that use their action and bonus action to do loads of damage.

Yeah, it's clearly a running theme of the class, along with the at-will attack talents all being different types of saves.

Syll
2017-03-13, 07:32 PM
Yeah, it's clearly a running theme of the class, along with the at-will attack talents all being different types of saves.

I don't disagree, but I was also sort of expecting it to be in there under Soul Knife.

On the note of Soul Knife, they swap back and forth between saying a Blade, and Blades which is really bugging me. Must I manifest 2? IF I must manifest 2, what is the point of having Shield Proficiency? for that matter, why in the world do you give Soul Knives martial weapon proficiency when they manifest their own mind blade?

Edit: woops, they don't have shield proficiency, but the question on martial proficiency stands

VoxRationis
2017-03-13, 07:38 PM
Still reading; haven't got to the mechanics. But I wanted to note something as I looked at the list of quirks and taboos:
You write down the name of each creature you slay, and name ones that are unnamed. Can you imagine goblins coming to check in on their fellows in the upper levels of the dungeon, only to find everyone dead, with "Bob" and "Joe" and "Steve" written on the walls?

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-13, 07:40 PM
I haven't read this UA slowly, I'm just reacting to it... and I'm in awe! Yes! This is everything I wanted from a Psionic Class! Anime Magic (Mystic Psionics) > Magic! HATERS YOU CAN SUCC!

JumboWheat01
2017-03-13, 07:40 PM
I don't disagree, but I was also sort of expecting it to be in there under Soul Knife.

On the note of Soul Knife, they swap back and forth between saying a Blade, and Blades which is really bugging me. Must I manifest 2? IF I must manifest 2, what is the point of having Shield Proficiency? for that matter, why in the world do you give Soul Knives martial weapon proficiency when they manifest their own mind blade?

Edit: woops, they don't have shield proficiency, but the question on martial proficiency stands

Because every now and then, you want to brain someone with a big, heavy weapon. Or you're in an anti-magic zone.

Or sometimes it's just for the style. "Why yes, this is my family's ancestral greatsword. We were named after it. No, I don't normally use it, but I can."

Stan
2017-03-13, 07:41 PM
Just flicking through, but the Soulknife seems really frontloaded, especially with that level 3 ability.

Yea, their level 3 ability is good. But just their level one ability is very nice. It would make 2 weapon martials much easier to build with a level of soul knife. You get 2 1d8 weapons that are both light and finesse, so better than any actual weapon for 2 weapon fighting without burning a feat. They can also give +2 AC if you didn't want to use your 2nd attack. For you one talent, you could take giant growth, which increases your reach by 5'; plus 2 combats/day you could increase your reach by another 5', get 10 temp hp, and do an extra 1d4 per hit. Throw in a distance attack talent for free. From there, build whatever 2 weapon concept you want.

Newtonsolo313
2017-03-13, 07:56 PM
Okay the biggest thing that stands out to me: psionic body capstone you are now telepathic laser Jesus

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-13, 07:58 PM
There is something that I didn't understand, can I choose a Discipline from other Order? I just want to build a Mystic Healer, and I want it to be the caster-y type not the melee type, and the only Healing Discipline we have is from the Immortal...

rooneg
2017-03-13, 08:00 PM
There is something that I didn't understand, can I choose a Discipline from other Order? I just want to build a Mystic Healer, and I want it to be the caster-y type not the melee type, and the only Healing Discipline we have is from the Immortal...

Yes, you can. The only restriction on disciplines belonging to each order is stuff like the extra disciplines you learn at level 1, those 2 extra disciplines have to be appropriate to the order. Others can be anything AFAICT.

Deleted
2017-03-13, 08:01 PM
There are some interesting things here and it has potential...

But, overall disappointing. Unless they update a lot of things from the PHB, such as the Barbarian, this ain't going to be balanced anytime soon (not to mention the Wu Jen will have power creep out the wazoo).

For example, the Crown of Rage gets a level 14 Bear Totem ability... At-will... At level 1... Now, I'm actually all for the Barbarian's Bear totem 14th level ability to be the first option you gain in that line (as it lines up perfectly with Wolf Totem and Eagle Totem) but if you are leaving that as a level 14 feature that can't be used all that often... Why would you give it to a mystic at such a low level? For free? Also it seems that Crown is a mix of Totem and Frenzy(Frenzy does fear but Crown of Rage does damage and makes them run away from you).

I need to read this more but overall another strike against UA and WotC. I'm even ignoring feats and multiclassing when I look at this UA.

Side Note: I think Unearth Arcana is a prelude to PHB 2.

sightlessrealit
2017-03-13, 08:01 PM
Yes, you can choose Disciplines that do not belong to the main Order you choose.

Dudu
2017-03-13, 08:03 PM

Yes. The only limitation is at the beginning, when you got to choose 2 extra disciplines and they must be from your Order. Except the Soulknife, who overall sounded pretty underwhelming to me.

twas_Brillig
2017-03-13, 08:04 PM
Besides it being weird for all of the nomad disciplines (and only the nomad disciplines) to start with "Nomadic", two things jump out so far:

Bestial Claws (1–7 psi). You manifest long claws for an instant and make a melee weapon attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, this attack deals 1d10 slashing damage per psi point spent.

Doesn't specify an action, so if you can get multiple attacks you can stack them as you like.

Shadow Beasts (3 psi; conc., 1 min.). As an action, you cause two shadows to appear in unoccupied spaces you can see within 60 feet of you. The shadows last until your concentration ends, and they obey your verbal commands. In combat, roll for their initiative, and choose theirbehavior during their turns. When this effect ends, the shadows disappear. See the Monster Manual for their stat block.

Aside from the obvious shadowpocalypse issues, doesn't this kind of...change every enemy's strength score into their hit points?

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-13, 08:05 PM
Yes, you can. The only restriction on disciplines belonging to each order is stuff like the extra disciplines you learn at level 1, those 2 extra disciplines have to be appropriate to the order. Others can be anything AFAICT.

Yes, you can choose Disciplines that do not belong to the main Order you choose.

Yes. The only limitation is at the beginning, when you got to choose 2 extra disciplines and they must be from your Order. Except the Soulknife, who overall sounded pretty underwhelming to me.

Yay! Screw bards as the only non-divine healers! I want to be a magical medic and not a magical clown/priest/hippie who heals people!

Deleted
2017-03-13, 08:11 PM
Yay! Screw bards! I want to be a magical medic!

Some men just want to watch the world burn... You would risk everyone getting STDs just to fulfill your dream of being a magical medic? You sicken me... SICKEN ME I SAY!

sightlessrealit
2017-03-13, 08:12 PM
Gahh, to..........many...............possibilities...... .......brain...........cannot.......handle it all...........-brain explodes-

Anderlith
2017-03-13, 08:17 PM
So anyone else want to play a Diminutive Soul Knife assassin? Go microscopic & kill them with burst damage... they literally dont see it coming, jump through keyholes/under doors... rogue doesnt have nothing on that. Take the Talent to erase your presense from any guards... wow, well now I have a great villian for my players

Pex
2017-03-13, 08:19 PM
I want to play it!

toapat
2017-03-13, 08:20 PM
Yay! Screw bards as the only non-divine healers! I want to be a magical medic and not a magical clown/priest/hippie who heals people!

well you can always Impale people with Extreme Love as a paladin

I want to play it!

Agreed, this looks fun

Millstone85
2017-03-13, 08:21 PM
It is confirmed, Counterspell wouldn't work against a psionic effect, unless it reproduces a spell, but Antimagic Field would work.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I mean, it implies the psionic effect depends on the Weave, or whatever ambient magic is called in your setting.

Maybe it is similar to how "transparency" worked in previous editions?

Dudu
2017-03-13, 08:23 PM
Hey, I love those 3 classes!

But I do support more class who can heal. It's a pain to be the only healer in the party.

DracoKnight
2017-03-13, 08:25 PM
It is confirmed, Counterspell wouldn't work against a psionic effect, unless it reproduces a spell, but Antimagic Field would work.

You're using magic, but not casting spells - unless the effect replicates a spell, obviously.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-13, 08:25 PM
I love how one of the Mystic Quirks is "You dye your hair bright blue or green", this basically means "You are a main character".