PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Crescent Knife Fix

artimus261
2017-03-13, 10:28 AM
I recently stumbled upon the Crescent Knife and liked it in concept but found that getting 2 attacks for every one was a little ridiculous and from everything I've read I wasn't alone but still think it could be saved with one simple touch that would still make it a fairly unique and remarkable little thing. Gonna just post it as a weapon entry below and see what ya'll think :)

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Crescent Knife
Cost: 20gp, Damage: 1d3, Critical: x2, Weight: 1lb, Type: Slashing.

This weapon, which resembles a crescent-shaped blade affixed to a crossbar handle, allows its wielder to make an extra attack during a full attack action. The extra attack is made at the user's full base attack bonus. However due to the weight and particular craft of this blade a user must rely on speed as opposed to strength and can only apply 1/2 of his Strength modifier as a bonus on the damage rolls during a full attack action.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The big thing about this is that unlike all other effects that allow additional attacks this cute little knife doesn't apply the normal -2 penalty. While that is truly amazing, allowing even a level 1 rogue 2 attacks at his full(+0 haha) base attack bonus, I think that with the lack of a threat range and the 1d3 weapon damage it really doesn't throw things out of wack. I mean the most abuse out of it I could see would be a level 1 character with two-weapon fighting dual-wielding these bad boys and getting 4 attacks early game, which even then would still incur the normal -2 on all attacks from dual-wielding and even then each attack would still only be getting 1/2 the user's strength for damage. Seems steep maybe but between two hits the 1/2 str effectively applies the full strength in damage along with 2d3, and if it ever gets enchanted or a fighter starts piling on specializations i think this thing could still prove pretty lethal

nikkoli
2017-03-13, 02:00 PM
You say it's based on speed and such, what if you get something that replaces str to damage with dex? Is it still halved or is it pushed off to the side?

artimus261
2017-03-13, 02:20 PM
Well I would probably say that that if you end up adding some other stat as damage, or using it in place of Str for damage, that you'd get the full bonus, that only the use of strength for damage would be inhibited, interesting question hadn't actually thought about it but yeah, as a dm that's what I'd end up ruling