PDA

View Full Version : Strike the Earth!

Alkerite
2017-03-13, 01:26 PM
After weeks of journey from the familiar Dwarven stronghold of Ban Kildur you have finally landed in at your destination: The Curve. You stop the wagon before the beach, near to the volcanic rock of the black mountain. To the west, a massive volcano lies dormant, to the east, you can see a thick forest of tall oaks rising over the cliff side, and to the north, you see the foreboding Dam of the Damned, and the Necromancer's tower. It was strange, even though Evil radiated from the building like a smog, the sight was strangely beautiful, the waterfall filling the lake, cloaking the obsidian building in mist, that when the light shine just right, you could see a bow of light formed. The shift of tone was staggering.
But enough of that, your party was exhausted from the journey, and more importantly you are exhausted of being above ground and it doesn't help that all of you have heard rumors about what happens in lands where Necromancer's towers rule; the dead will walk again. So, brave settlers of The Curve, what do you do?

Mr. E
2017-03-13, 02:55 PM
Jorn looks about him, mentally sketching a map of the terrain in his head, working out the key features that will need to be present on any later map he makes. Closing his eyes, he feels the evil boiling out of the fortress to his right, like fog blown by a cold wind. Reflexively he unslings his maul, grasping it firmly with two hands.

Having finished his first inspection of the terrain, he turns to Smiethen and asks: "So, which way now?"

Ramsus
2017-03-13, 06:53 PM
"Unless you want to go pester the necromancer or live in the trees like an elf, we should probably look for a good spot to dig into the volcano." Blacksmoke replies and does as he suggested.

((As an irl person I have no idea where a smart place to dig into a volcano would be, but I'm sure the characters probably do.))

Alkerite
2017-03-13, 07:49 PM
"Unless you want to go pester the necromancer or live in the trees like an elf, we should probably look for a good spot to dig into the volcano." Blacksmoke replies and does as he suggested.

As you look over the towering pillar, you assume that the magma chamber must be in the center, and given the general shaping of the volcano, you can assume that there no secondary lava ducts. You do indeed start hacking away at the stone, carving out a small hole, barely enough to fit yourself. If you wish to continue, you'll need to take a break, or put yourself under additional stress. (Make a constitution check, followed by an Athletics check, please.)

JNAProductions
2017-03-13, 09:11 PM
McSmash grunts, saying Well. When do I smash?

Ramsus
2017-03-13, 09:49 PM
Blacksmoke comes out and takes a break. At McSmash's question, he just points at what he managed to dig. He hadn't really planned to do much digging, he wasn't the strongest of sorts. But it was good to lead by example when possible.

Mr. E
2017-03-13, 10:05 PM
Jorn puts his maul down with some trepidation, looking somewhat comically nervous, then unstraps his pack and removes the large mining pick he carries. Then, he walks over to where Smiethen is standing, and lays into the rock face with a grunt of satisfaction. He is evidently enjoying himself, back in a world which he understands well.

JNAProductions
2017-03-13, 10:08 PM
Grabbing his shovel and pick, McSmash sets to work, hewing into the ground with glee.

Alkerite
2017-03-13, 10:26 PM
Your combined efforts make the dig more successful than Blacksmoke's attempts, and after an hour of hard work, you two have carved out a rough half of a room, with low ceilings. It's no fortress, yet, but with the last stroke of Mcsmash's pick, he break through effortlessly, his pick passing clear through the stone, and burying itself up to it's hilt.

JNAProductions
2017-03-13, 10:46 PM
Ha! Taste my pick, ground! McSmash lets out, giving his pick a hefty tug and drawing it from the earth. So, boss, we got a little room. Start hacking up some wood for a door?

LarsWester
2017-03-14, 11:19 AM
Urist regretted starting the expedition without a pick. This regret sunk deeper and deeper as he saw the others in the crew begin digging. He decided not to let the gloomy thoughts over take him and decided to do what he could to help. The miners will need wood shortly and he had some woodcarving tools and a hatchet he could go find some wood to cut. I'll be in the woods getting lumber. As he left he whistled for the dog to follow him into the woods. It would be good to have the beast there for company and to keep an eye out as he worked.

Alkerite
2017-03-14, 01:02 PM
The walk to the forest was either a long way around to the slope, or directly up the steep face of the cliffs. If you wish to climb directly up, two athletics checks if you have 30 ft of movement. Three, if less.

Ramsus
2017-03-14, 01:06 PM
"I'll make sure someone's on it. You guys just keep working at carving out some space. I'd tell you not to rush it and take breaks, but you're dwarves. You're not going to do shoddy stonework. I'm going to go look for herbs and supervise the woodcutting." Blacksmoke replies.

Then true to his word he goes with whoever else goes into the woods and while they fell trees, he collects herbs and other plants useful for alchemy, herbalism, or poisons.

JNAProductions
2017-03-14, 01:11 PM
McSmash continues his mining, starting up a jaunty tune as he works.

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy diggy hole... Diggy diggy hole...

Mr. E
2017-03-14, 02:27 PM
"Right, I'll just take a mo' to bring the packs inside, so that we are not quite so obvious to anyone who might be watching. Then I'll get right back into it." Jorn is true to his word, piling all the gear just inside the entrance, then retrieves his pick and gets back to work, trying to drive the beginnings of a main corridor into the rock.

LarsWester
2017-03-14, 03:38 PM
The walk to the forest was either a long way around to the slope, or directly up the steep face of the cliffs. If you wish to climb directly up, two athletics checks if you have 30 ft of movement. Three, if less.
Urist took a quick look at the steep face of the cliffs and decided against climbing today. There were benefits to going the long way around and he wanted to take the dog into the woods as well. He started off when he heard Blacksmoke call out his intent to look for herbs in the woods. The dwarf slowed his pace to let the gnome catch up. As the two walked out to the woods together with the dog in tow Urist kept a quick eye about for danger.

OOC: Feel free to apply my d20 in ooc thread to this perception check result = 7. Also keeping the dog nameless on purpose until he gets a kill or DM (Dwarf Master?) says he was adopted by someone.

Alkerite
2017-03-14, 04:10 PM
McSmash continues his mining, starting up a jaunty tune as he works.

I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy diggy hole... Diggy diggy hole...

Athletics check, please, to retrieve your pick.

Urist took a quick look at the steep face of the cliffs and decided against climbing today. There were benefits to going the long way around and he wanted to take the dog into the woods as well. He started off when he heard Blacksmoke call out his intent to look for herbs in the woods. The dwarf slowed his pace to let the gnome catch up. As the two walked out to the woods together with the dog in tow Urist kept a quick eye about for danger.

OOC: Feel free to apply my d20 in ooc thread to this perception check result = 7. Also keeping the dog nameless on purpose until he gets a kill or DM (Dwarf Master?) says he was adopted by someone.

Taking a look around, you end up lost in the beauty of the forest, quite oblivious to everything, bumping into a tree snaps you out of the state, though.

"I'll make sure someone's on it. You guys just keep working at carving out some space. I'd tell you not to rush it and take breaks, but you're dwarves. You're not going to do shoddy stonework. I'm going to go look for herbs and supervise the woodcutting." Blacksmoke replies.

Then true to his word he goes with whoever else goes into the woods and while they fell trees, he collects herbs and other plants useful for alchemy, herbalism, or poisons.
Survival checks, please, first to discover the stuff, the second to see which is which.

Alkerite
2017-03-15, 06:52 PM
@Ramsus: The haul from the harvest attempts prove fruitful, for poisons, at least. You find a wide variety of poisons, in natural states, choking the life out of the withered husks of more useful plants. (2 whole golden chain plants, 6 oleander plants, and 12 Daphne berries) However, the mighty oaks provide, and you managed to gather some acorns. (26 acorns) However, that's of what you've discovered that you can identify. You also bring back several mushrooms, that you found growing on the Oaks.

JNAProductions
2017-03-15, 07:57 PM
[roll0]

Rolling dem bones.

Alkerite
2017-03-15, 08:09 PM
[roll0]

Rolling dem bones.

With a thunderous crack, you pull you pick out from the wall, and the reason why it passed through effortlessly was suddenly made clear: You dug into what appears to be a marble mausoleum, buried beneath the magma flow. The discovery doubles the size of the room, by pure virtue of dumb luck.

JNAProductions
2017-03-15, 08:16 PM
With a thunderous crack, you pull you pick out from the wall, and the reason why it passed through effortlessly was suddenly made clear: You dug into what appears to be a marble mausoleum, buried beneath the magma flow. The discovery doubles the size of the room, by pure virtue of dumb luck.

Neat. HEY BOSS! McSmash shouts. Found a thing!

Mr. E
2017-03-15, 09:09 PM
Having dragged the packs inside, Jorn picks up his pick and heads back to the wall, only to hear McSmash's shout. Dropping his pick, he steps forward and puts his eye to the wall, peering into the newly discovered room. "I wonder who built this? What gods did they worship, and what race where they?" Jorn muses, trying to look for any symbols or runes he might recognise from his priestly training.

Ramsus
2017-03-15, 09:48 PM
Blacksmoke comes back with his haul just in time to hear McSmash shouting for him. He comes in to see what's what and when he does he exclaims, "Well what a find! Good job McSmash, now at least we'll all have somewhere to sleep tonight. Better progress than I was expecting."

Alkerite
2017-03-15, 10:41 PM
Having dragged the packs inside, Jorn picks up his pick and heads back to the wall, only to hear McSmash's shout. Dropping his pick, he steps forward and puts his eye to the wall, peering into the newly discovered room. "I wonder who built this? What gods did they worship, and what race where they?" Jorn muses, trying to look for any symbols or runes he might recognise from his priestly training.

Upon investigation, you do find carvings, that you can assume tell some form of story. In the center of the mausoleum, you spot a squat skeleton, preserved in ash. Whatever this chamber was, It was no accident that it was consumed by the lava flow.

JNAProductions
2017-03-15, 10:43 PM
Thankie. Now we just gotta make sure we don't upset the vengeful dead.

Alkerite
2017-03-16, 01:22 AM
@Ramsus, upon investigation of the mausoleum, you find what seemed to be some of the man's mortal wealth. A blackened, melted iron crown, and other iron objects melted into worthless scrap. You faintly recall a fable about an Iron King of... something.

Mr. E
2017-03-16, 01:33 PM
Reminded by McSmash's comment about the undead, Jorn grabs his maul before entering the room. Walking across to the blackened thing in the centre of the room, he bows his head in a gesture of respect for the departed. Kneeling down, he grips his mace with two hands and closes his eyes.

Letting his senses extend through the chamber, the dwarf searches for the presence of evil and darkness. Under his breath, he recites prayers of watching and guarding, to clear his mind and block out the interference of the necromancer's tower.

Using detect evil, hopefully should give us some insight.

Cyclopean
2017-03-16, 02:30 PM
Smiling at the mountain's gift, Almarr continues to strike the earth as the others explore.

Sorry for the delay, I should have a regular post rate from now on.

I take it there is now no barrier between the initial room and the mausoleum? If there is, Almarr gets to work making the portal between comfortably dwarf-sized, flat at the bottom, arched at the top. If not, she'll get to work expanding the sides of the initial room.

Alkerite
2017-03-16, 05:46 PM
Reminded by McSmash's comment about the undead, Jorn grabs his maul before entering the room. Walking across to the blackened thing in the centre of the room, he bows his head in a gesture of respect for the departed. Kneeling down, he grips his mace with two hands and closes his eyes.

Letting his senses extend through the chamber, the dwarf searches for the presence of evil and darkness. Under his breath, he recites prayers of watching and guarding, to clear his mind and block out the interference of the necromancer's tower.

Using detect evil, hopefully should give us some insight.
While there is no evil on the corpse, you do sense some dread presence flood the room, as of it was waiting for an opening

Smiling at the mountain's gift, Almarr continues to strike the earth as the others explore.

Sorry for the delay, I should have a regular post rate from now on.

I take it there is now no barrier between the initial room and the mausoleum? If there is, Almarr gets to work making the portal between comfortably dwarf-sized, flat at the bottom, arched at the top. If not, she'll get to work expanding the sides of the initial room.

The final efforts of flair finish off the room, the ground as flat as it can be with imprecise tools. You find yourself with enough room to sleep through the night, but a dread air breezes through the portal from the mausoleum.

Mr. E
2017-03-16, 08:27 PM
Jorn opens his eyes and stands upright, looking worriedly around him. "This place, is not... safe. I can feel a something-someone, watching us." he says to Smiethen. " "I believe we should set a watch tonight, and keep on our guard. When we have studied more closely, and all of us are together, we should be able to make it safe.

But, please, for now, please, don't let anybody touch any of the runes, or the statue. Ask them to stay away from any swords or metal items, and not to go near that." He gestures at the charred figure in the centre of the room.

LarsWester
2017-03-17, 12:38 PM
Urist stayed in the woods chopping away long after the gnome ran away clutching some plants and other herbs to his chest. The dog sat on its haunches as Urist set about taking down a few trees and getting some lumber for the settlement. He started to whistle to himself as he swung to pass the time.
1d20+2

Alkerite
2017-03-17, 01:33 PM
Urist stayed in the woods chopping away long after the gnome ran away clutching some plants and other herbs to his chest. The dog sat on its haunches as Urist set about taking down a few trees and getting some lumber for the settlement. He started to whistle to himself as he swung to pass the time.
1d20+2

You find a few moderately sized trees, All far from being a colossus of the forest, but all much larger than saplings, after your three hours of hard labor, you fell 3 of the oaks, and send them tumbling down the cliffside.

LarsWester
2017-03-17, 04:40 PM
After cutting down the third oak of the afternoon Urist stopped to pet the dog's head and take a closer look around him. He takes out a ration from his backpack and begins to eat. Tearing away a bit he calls to the dog.
Dog. Come here dog.
Urist pets the dogs head as he eats the food from his hand.

[roll0]
Attempt to start training the dog as a hunting dog.

Alkerite
2017-03-17, 10:21 PM
After cutting down the third oak of the afternoon Urist stopped to pet the dog's head and take a closer look around him. He takes out a ration from his backpack and begins to eat. Tearing away a bit he calls to the dog.
Dog. Come here dog.
Urist pets the dogs head as he eats the food from his hand.

[roll0]
Attempt to start training the dog as a hunting dog.

The dog takes to you well enough, it was apparently raised quite well, and was receptive to the training.

Ramsus
2017-03-18, 01:31 AM
Once dusk arrives, Blacksmoke tries to make sure everyone is together at their new home. There isn't a lot of space and means people will be more or less huddled together, but that's ok because they don't even have a door to block out the wind yet. Before people lay down to sleep he makes sure to set up a watch rotation since this is brand new territory and especially because there are concerns about the mausoleum room they found. Before going to sleep himself, he performs the Alarm ritual to ward the area (set up so that it will detect anything entering either from the entryway or from the mausoleum.

LarsWester
2017-03-18, 03:21 PM
Urist returns to the camp with the dog. He mentions the 3 trees he cut down in the woods. He lays down to sleep until it is his turn for the watch.

Alkerite
2017-03-18, 07:03 PM
The first night passes without incident, luckily. However, during third watch, the watchmen feels an odd air come from the mausoleum. It felt oddly right, as if a vile thing was purged, but soon enough the scent of dust spread through the air, and motes came drifting through the portal between the newly dug out room, and the ancient mausoleum.

Ramsus
2017-03-19, 01:00 AM
Trying out a more organized approach, Blacksmoke asks McSmash and Jorn to continue to focus on tunneling. Specifically asking to make sure they make wide hallways, maybe widen the entryway to match. Of course he knows the first priority is personal rooms to sleep in after they accomplish that, he'd really like a large workshop he can do all of his smithing, alchemy, and glasswork in. (I'm super aware this will likely take multiple days.)

He also suggests that Melari focus on felling more trees and while he (Blacksmoke) and Almarr helping get the lumber back to their new home and chopping some of it into firewood that they'll need for staying warm and for working forges and the like hopefully soon enough.

Finally he suggests Urison go hunting with the dog (hopefully part of it's training process).

JNAProductions
2017-03-19, 11:20 AM
Trying out a more organized approach, Blacksmoke asks McSmash and Jorn to continue to focus on tunneling. Specifically asking to make sure they make wide hallways, maybe widen the entryway to match. Of course he knows the first priority is personal rooms to sleep in after they accomplish that, he'd really like a large workshop he can do all of his smithing, alchemy, and glasswork in. (I'm super aware this will likely take multiple days.)

He also suggests that Melari focus on felling more trees and while he (Blacksmoke) and Almarr helping get the lumber back to their new home and chopping some of it into firewood that they'll need for staying warm and for working forges and the like hopefully soon enough.

Finally he suggests Urison go hunting with the dog (hopefully part of it's training process).

Got it, boss. I'll start working on excavating a little more of the mausoleum-that should make our tunneling easier.

With that, McSmash goes to do exactly what he said he'd do.

solomonczekansk
2017-03-19, 11:27 AM
Among the list that you mentioned my favorites are Ragnarok and Counter Strike. But there is also one PC game(not listed) which is very good and everyone who has played it has liked it. The name of the game is,
Mystery Case Files.
You would know if you have played it, that it is a very good game. You can download the game

Mr. E
2017-03-19, 01:46 PM
"Will do." Jorn replies, picking up his pick and beginning to drive a horizontal tunnel into the rock at right angles to the existing room, aiming to create a series of small sleeping alcoves which can later be expanded into full sized rooms. While he works, he ponders a response to the dangers of the mausoleum, attempting to work out the best strategy to defuse such a threat.

Alkerite
2017-03-19, 05:43 PM
"Will do." Jorn replies, picking up his pick and beginning to drive a horizontal tunnel into the rock at right angles to the existing room, aiming to create a series of small sleeping alcoves which can later be expanded into full sized rooms. While he works, he ponders a response to the dangers of the mausoleum, attempting to work out the best strategy to defuse such a threat.

Overall, the work was dull. Better than herding cats, but dull. Towards the end of the first workday, you hack into the basalt, the stone crumbling away after each stroke, uncovering a large iron statue of a Dwarf. It's blackened, and malformed, likely due to being smothered in lava gods know how long ago, but it's quite the windfall of decent metal. IF you choose to harvest it.

Got it, boss. I'll start working on excavating a little more of the mausoleum-that should make our tunneling easier.

With that, McSmash goes to do exactly what he said he'd do.
Clearing out the basalt surrounding them tomb proved easier than digging blindly. However... Can I get a perception check. And a constitution roll.

Mr. E
2017-03-20, 02:59 PM
Jorn looks at the large statue, trying to spot any distinctive markings that identify it as being a deity or religion he recognises. At least I know they were dwarfs, he thinks. Then, turning around, Jorn shouts, "Smiethen, I think you'll want to see this."

Ramsus
2017-03-20, 07:09 PM
Blacksmoke comes over to check it out when requested.

((Religion: [roll0]))

Alkerite
2017-03-20, 07:59 PM
Jorn looks at the large statue, trying to spot any distinctive markings that identify it as being a deity or religion he recognises. At least I know they were dwarfs, he thinks. Then, turning around, Jorn shouts, "Smiethen, I think you'll want to see this."
The knowledge is a tad bit obscure for you to remember, but you do remember something about the Great Iron Tomb under Black Mountain.

Blacksmoke comes over to check it out when requested.

((Religion: [roll0]))

You are more successful than your ally. Upon looking over the statue you remember myths about the Iron King of old. A Dwarf in all but race. His tomb was supposed to be one of the grandest structures of the Dwarven empire at the time. His tomb was supposed to be heralded by an Iron statue, that depicted himself after he donned a magical belt. Upon which, the story of how he came to possess said belt.

Ramsus
2017-03-20, 09:45 PM
Blacksmoke tells the tale to the others, actually going so far as to tell the whole tale and go off on various tangents to anyone who will listen.

JNAProductions
2017-03-20, 10:25 PM
McSmash listens idly as he works, happy to have something interesting to while away the time with.

Cyclopean
2017-03-23, 11:21 AM
Though reluctant to leave the site of the dig, Almarr agrees to help fetch and chop the lumber. She may not be the strongest dwarf, but she has to chuckle at the idea of the little gnome doing it all by himself.

She listens intently to the story that evening. "Hey, Blacksmoke," she chimes in as he describes the artifacts, "Remember that piece of scrap we found yesterday? That couldn't have been the Iron King's Crown, could it?"

Ramsus
2017-03-23, 11:58 AM
"Could be. Could be. Feel free to try it on for size. It's not like it would fit me anyhow." Blacksmoke replies, rather intrigued to see what will happen.

Cyclopean
2017-03-23, 12:04 PM
Almarr retrieves the misshapen crown. Although she doesn't expect it to be anything more than a ruined piece of jewelry, she is careful not to damage it any further as she puts it on.

Alkerite
2017-03-23, 02:09 PM
Almarr retrieves the misshapen crown. Although she doesn't expect it to be anything more than a ruined piece of jewelry, she is careful not to damage it any further as she puts it on.

While the rest of your allies are busy working away, you're messing with a tomb of a Great King of Dwarves. as you place the ruined crown upon your head, the altar where the blackened body lay sunk into the ground, disappearing from sight.

McSmash manages to mine halfway around the mausoleum, before nightfall.

Gathering the logs was easy enough, same with felling trees. For some reason, the bark of certain trees are weak, and they only grow weaker as you get closer to the Necromancer's tower.

The dog didn't help with Urison's hunt, but with some new pelts and fresh meat; the dog will certainly be more receptive to training.

JNAProductions
2017-03-23, 09:04 PM
When McSmash returns and sees the altar gone, he asks Hey, who did that?

Mr. E
2017-03-24, 01:50 PM
Jorn winces as Almarr places the crown on his head, and the disappearing altar does not help to allay his suspicions. "Blacksmoke," he asks, "would you like it if I made one of these into a small furnace? Then we could get this statue melted down and turned into something more useful.

And Almarr, can you please, ah, not wear that thing for too long. There is something that is sort of off about this whole place, and I think the crown has something to do with it."

Ramsus
2017-03-24, 04:55 PM
Blacksmoke blinks in surprise. "I would have thought you dwarves would find such an idea almost sacrilegious. Personally I'd rather preserve this historical relic than melt it down for it's base materials. We have some iron with us and if we don't find more in this mountain we're not going to be staying for long anyway."

Mr. E
2017-03-26, 05:24 PM
Jorn turns to face Blacksmoke, puts his pick on the ground and takes up what is clearly his declaiming pose "According to the teachings of Priest Skifhak, faith comes through affirmative action and logical belief, not possession of trappings or observance of rituals. The statue is only of value insofar as it focuses or informs my belief.

I defer to your experience if you wish to keep the statue for reasons of historical interest. I know very little about what is or is not important in such a field.

Jorn turns to continue work, then catches sight of the gaping chasm which has appeared.

"Huh? How did that..." Picking up his maul, he walks to the edge of the pit and peers in.

Ramsus
2017-03-26, 06:43 PM
Blacksmoke just gives Jorn a shrug as he's not sure what happened there either.

Alkerite
2017-03-26, 07:24 PM
Jorn turns to face Blacksmoke, puts his pick on the ground and takes up what is clearly his declaiming pose "According to the teachings of Priest Skifhak, faith comes through affirmative action and logical belief, not possession of trappings or observance of rituals. The statue is only of value insofar as it focuses or informs my belief.

I defer to your experience if you wish to keep the statue for reasons of historical interest. I know very little about what is or is not important in such a field.

Jorn turns to continue work, then catches sight of the gaping chasm which has appeared.

"Huh? How did that..." Picking up his maul, he walks to the edge of the pit and peers in.

The pit is cloaked an impermeable darkness, but... You could perhaps fashion a ladder and journey down, or you could take a closer look at the pit with a perception check.

Ramsus
2017-03-26, 09:40 PM
Blacksmoke peers over the edge.

Perception: [roll0]
Don't forget we all have Darkvision.

Alkerite
2017-03-26, 10:32 PM
Blacksmoke peers over the edge.

Don't forget we all have Darkvision.

Staring into the black abyss, you see nothing, still... You get a bad feeling, and you remember an old proverb: If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you. Oddly enough, you come away with your eyes feeling a tads sore, like you'd been straining them for hours, but you're none worse for the wear.

Mr. E
2017-03-26, 11:10 PM
Jorn also stares into the pit, and at the same time tries to use his inner senses to determine whether the balance of good or evil has changed.

JNAProductions
2017-03-27, 12:01 AM
McSmash starts digging for a rope. We aren't getting anywhere staring! I'll go down first.

Alkerite
2017-03-27, 09:16 AM
Jorn also stares into the pit, and at the same time tries to use his inner senses to determine whether the balance of good or evil has changed.

You see the same unnatural darkness as your leader, but you feel sick to your stomach as you approach the abyss, feeling a powerful evil beyond the abyss.

Cyclopean
2017-03-27, 11:14 AM
"This is troubling," Almarr murmurs. Nothing about the crown felt unusual to her, but she placed it on the statue, just to be safe. What bothered her was the chasm. The depths of sacred earth should not feel so disconcerting. "I'm with Urist," she says. "We must learn what lies below." She conjures a ball of fire and sends it down into the pit, hoping it will let them see a little deeper.

Mr. E
2017-03-27, 01:30 PM
"I also believe that to investigate would be wisest. Something-someone, is below us, watching, and I wish to locate whatever it is, and destroy it.

Perhaps, McSmash, it would be wisest if those of us with the most resilience to attack climbed down together, so that we could not be picked off one by one? Give me a few moments to retrieve my necessary equipment, and I will join you."

Jorn grabs his pack, and begins to sort through it for the key components, such as torches and rope.

JNAProductions
2017-03-27, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a plan.

LarsWester
2017-03-27, 05:22 PM
Urist was enjoying another day among the trees and stalking the local game through the forest of the surface near the Curve. Dog was keeping him company but not quite getting the hang of hunting being a stealthy serious matter would tear through the underbrush and scare up a brace of birds from time to time.
1d20+5
After several attempts where Urist had his prey in sight but the dog charged too soon Urist abandoned the hunt for the day and return to the tunnel that was being dug underground. The other dwarves and gnome leader were staring into a gaping hole of darkness when he returned.

Mr. E
2017-03-28, 04:33 PM
Jorn finds a suitable pillar that he can tie his rope too, and walks to the edge of the hole. "With your permission, team leader?" he says to Smiethen.

Ramsus
2017-03-28, 07:20 PM
Blacksmoke gives a nod in agreement to Jorn, but also takes his thunder cannon out in case of trouble. Though he'd be firing blindly into the darkness.

Mr. E
2017-03-29, 09:03 PM
Jorn takes a final look round, then begins to rappel down into the pit, taking to care to match his pace with McSmash's.

So, barring any complications, an athletics check, I suppose [roll0]

JNAProductions
2017-03-29, 09:32 PM
I'll take 10 on mine, for a total result of... 14, I think?

Yeah, 14.

Alkerite
2017-03-30, 01:34 AM
As your party descends into the pit, you can immediately see why you couldn't see beyond, the darkness was of some variety of magical concealment. However, your attempts to rappel down are met with quite a bit of success, as the 'pit' itself is about six feet deep. However, now past the pit, you can see that the concealment was some form of illusion, and by the light flowing through the faux darkness, you see a ladder, this time truly descending down into the abyss with a strange, hauntingly unnatural light coming from beneath.

O.O.C Yeah, rolls were totally unnecessary. However, that is quite a good metric to see how you respond to an alien situation: You have my thanks.

JNAProductions
2017-03-30, 03:58 PM
There's a ladder down here, boss. We're gonna head deeper-aight?

Mr. E
2017-03-31, 01:25 AM
Jorn looks around, taking in the environment. Uncoiling the rope, he leaves it in place so that those after him can use it. "The darkness is a temporary barrier to entry. After about six feet it becomes dimly lit. The rope is available if you wish to come down. Personally I would like some ranged support before I journey into this pit of evil."

Jorn pauses, having expended his supply of high-flown language. A thought occurs to him."Where's the ranger? We should probably tell him what we are doing."

LarsWester
2017-03-31, 08:27 AM
Having arrived back from his recent hunting foray empty handed Urist was happy to hear the request for ranged support in the tunnels below. Maybe he could make up for his unfruitful hunt by descending and joining the two dwarves calling up from the darkness.
Hold on there I'll be down there quickly.
Turning to the others he says Watch the dog please the thing is still quite untrained.
Urist straps his longbow on his back and checks his quiver to make sure it is full of arrows before grabbing a hold of the rope and descending through the darkness. An eerie feeling tingles down his spine as he passes through the illusionary darkness.

Mr. E
2017-03-31, 07:40 PM
Jorn nods a greeting to the newly arrived ranger, then returns to his careful inspection of the tunnel. Looking around, he searches to see whether it seems to be part of the same complex as the mausoleum, or whether it is of different make.