PDA

View Full Version : Pyrokineticist clarification (3.5)

Zzachary37
2017-03-13, 04:19 PM
Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the Pyrokineticist's 3rd level ability, bolt of fire. The SRD states

Bolt of Fire (Ps)
Starting at 3rd level, as a standard action, a pyrokineticist can launch a bolt of psionically manifested fire at any target in line of sight within 60 feet. This effect is treated as a ranged touch attack and deals 1d6 points of fire damage for each class level the pyro has.

I took this to mean that it does 1d6/level of Pyro she has, but could it mean for 1d6/total class levels she has?

Segev
2017-03-13, 04:21 PM
It says "for each class level," and that always, in 3.5, refers to the level in the class that grants the ability.

Jormengand
2017-03-13, 04:41 PM
Specifically, abilities which use their total level use the words "Character level", such as "The blackguard’s servant further gains HD and special abilities based on the blackguard’s character level (see the table below)." Level or class level means the level in that particular class.

weckar
2017-03-15, 02:29 AM
Note that prestige classes that specifically extend all abilities of other classes (Uncanny Trickster) will in fact extend such abilities as well.

As as sidenote, never knew the Pyro was in the SRD. We're getting a surprising amount of questions about this class lately, too...

Red Fel
2017-03-15, 03:06 PM
As as sidenote, never knew the Pyro was in the SRD. We're getting a surprising amount of questions about this class lately, too...

Sure is (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm)!

Amusingly, PF translated it over almost whole cloth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/pyrokineticist/), but with a couple of slight improvements, adding the Manipulate Blaze, Leach Heat, Penetrating Fire and Fire Soul abilities, and making the Conflagration ability usable 1/10 minutes, as opposed to 1/day. Frankly, I would see no harm in backporting it into 3.5; one of the 3.5 Pyro's biggest weaknesses is that Fire is the most resisted energy type, and Leech Heat and Penetrating Fire help deal with that weakness.