PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next El-ahrairah's Boon (and other low level Polymorph Spells)

Jorgumander
2017-03-13, 05:22 PM
El-ahrairah's Boon (Frith's Boon to some)
Level 1 Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock Spell
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Components: V,S
Duration: 1 Minute/2 Caster Levels

You transform yourself into a fast and agile rabbit. All of your physical attributes are replaced by those of a rabbit. Your mental attributes remain the same, however while this spell is in effect, you have disadvantage to all fear and intimidate effects.

At higher levels: You gain +1 to your AC and +5 to your movement for each spell level cast above 1st.

Heket's Boon
Level 1 Sorcerer/Wizard/Warlock
Components: M (one bug carcass that is consumed upon casting)
Duration: 1 Minute/Caster Level

You eat the bug and then you transform into a diminutive frog. All of your physical attributes are replaced by those of a standard frog. While this spell is in effect, you must resist the urge to croak loudly once for each minute you are in frog form. Wisdom Check.

Let me know what you think! Just thought these would be super fun to have in a spellbook or known spells. Could be very useful too. :)

Jorgumander
2017-03-13, 07:34 PM
What would the balance issues of a 2nd Level Spell that could turn you into a small bird or fish be? Thinking a Salmon and a Sparrow or Hummingbird comparatively. They would be separate spells. So one grants waterbreathing (something already covered in a 2nd level spell) and one would cover limited flight (while being useless or even vulnerable in combat).

If they had weaknesses like the above spells would it even out the balance?

Jorgumander
2017-03-13, 10:07 PM
Aspect of Loki:

Level: 2 Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock
Components: V,S
Duration: 24 Hours*

Upon casting this spell, the caster chooses from among 1 of three forms.

Raven - Assumes form of a standard Raven from the MM. This allows the caster the power of non-magical flight. The caster can speak any language it can in its natural form. Mental abilities remain identical to the casters while physical become those of a standard Raven from the DMG. At higher levels: for each spell level higher than 2nd that this spell is cast at, you gain a +1 to AC and +5 temporary hit points that go away once the spell ends. The caster cannot cast spells while in this form.

Salmon (of Wisdom)- The caster can assume the form of a standard salmon (no idea what the stats are, but any fish should do, but a Salmon can live in salt or fresh water). Gain a swim speed and the non-magical ability to breath underwater. Retain all mental attributes of the caster, but gain the physical attributes of a standard Salmon. The caster can any Divination spell it has the ability to cast to use in this form. The Salmon form retains all Spell Slots of the caster, and Sorcery Points if it has them. These are used to cast these divination spells. At higher levels: Same as Raven.

Opposite Sex - The caster changes sex. From one gender of its race into another of the same race. The caster will be treated as a very attractive member of the race while in this form. All attributes both physical and mental remain the same while the opposite sex. Clothing and gear do not change with the new sex. Therefore, a second outfit may be required as males and females of the humanoid races tend to be generally different sizes (of clothing, shoes, etc. NOT actual DnD size differences). Once a "look" for the opposite sex form is chosen, it is the same forever after that. For instance, you may naturally be a tall, dark-haired man with light skin and blue eyes. But you could choose your female shape to be petite, dark skinned, green-eyed with blonde hair. This would be always the same after if you repeatedly change sex. At higher levels: Your Charisma is considered 1 higher for interactions with others for each spell level above 2nd that you cast this at.

*This spell cannot end prematurely. The caster is stuck in this form for the entire duration.

Thoughts?

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 11:21 AM
Hey folks. We game on Wednesday evenings. Was hoping to get a little feedback on these, as we will be leveling them up tonight. These seem overpowered? Too restrictive? Just right? Thanks!

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-15, 12:42 PM
A quick skim tells me these aren't written in the 5e style, so you might want to look at that, and I'd drop the part about croaking; it isn't really necessary. The overall concept seems fine, though.

I'd probably use the quipper stat block to represent a salmon - the granularity of the system is limited, which means that when you get to the very bottom of the power scale (tiny CR0s), they all start to look the same.

There's a lot of weirdness in the sex change stuff that I'd do away with if I was writing it (which I kinda have done already (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19927737&postcount=34)), and not allowing it to be dispelled is also a jarring break from accepted spell design.

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 01:12 PM
A quick skim tells me these aren't written in the 5e style, so you might want to look at that, and I'd drop the part about croaking; it isn't really necessary. The overall concept seems fine, though.

I'd probably use the quipper stat block to represent a salmon - the granularity of the system is limited, which means that when you get to the very bottom of the power scale (tiny CR0s), they all start to look the same.

There's a lot of weirdness in the sex change stuff that I'd do away with if I was writing it (which I kinda have done already (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19927737&postcount=34)), and not allowing it to be dispelled is also a jarring break from accepted spell design.

OK, will clean up the sex change one a bit.

As for not allowing it to be dispelled, it wasn't so much to be unique as to put some sort of limit on it. It effectively gives you fly as a second level spell...which is too soon ordinarily. Ideas for another way to limit it?

Also, as for my gaming group (my kids) I'm trying to promote roleplaying and critical thinking. So having to figure out how to function in a difficult situation that is self imposed is a plus. But I'm totally open to suggestions.

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 01:15 PM
OK, looked over your change sex spell and I'm liking it. I think I can keep mine at 2nd level however, as it only effects the caster.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-15, 01:44 PM
OK, looked over your change sex spell and I'm liking it. I think I can keep mine at 2nd level however, as it only effects the caster.

Yes, I'd agree with that. And the bird/fish forms should be ok at level 2 as well, since Fly and Water Breathing are both level 3 (and don't stick you with fragile forms), though it might be better to split them into separate spells.

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 06:49 PM
Yes, I'd agree with that. And the bird/fish forms should be ok at level 2 as well, since Fly and Water Breathing are both level 3 (and don't stick you with fragile forms), though it might be better to split them into separate spells.

Do you think I can just drop the 24 hour requirement then?

Ninja_Prawn
2017-03-15, 07:02 PM
Do you think I can just drop the 24 hour requirement then?

Yes. I'd probably make them 1 hour duration with no special rules. As long as it isn't concentration, you can't end it early without someone casting Dispel Magic, so there's still a feeling of being 'stuck', but the spell is actually usable since it wears off in a reasonable time frame and it can be dispelled if need be.

Jorgumander
2017-03-15, 07:16 PM
Yes. I'd probably make them 1 hour duration with no special rules. As long as it isn't concentration, you can't end it early without someone casting Dispel Magic, so there's still a feeling of being 'stuck', but the spell is actually usable since it wears off in a reasonable time frame and it can be dispelled if need be.

I honestly didn't know that! I thought they could end whenever. OK. I like that much more! That way it still keeps that fantasy feel of being stuck for a time, but without it being too dangerous. It'll make them plan ahead a little. Just what I needed. THANK YOU!