PDA

View Full Version : [5E Eberron] character creation HELP

targ8practice
2017-03-13, 06:42 PM
Hey guys,

Im starting a 5E Eberron campaign soon with some new players and one of them simply wants to, in his words: "Understand ALL the magics" basically a scholarly type who ventures out in the world after being studying in the library. The only way I can wrap my head around an actual character would be a Wizard taking the Theury Tradition (from UA) or making him take a different class each level.

And he really likes the idea of a Mystic Theurge (Old school DND prestige class).

Thought, ideas, suggestions?

Regitnui
2017-03-13, 11:50 PM
I hear Eberron!

*reads post*

Well... This sounds like a pupil of Arcanix, Aundair, or of one of the Universities: Wynarn, Korranberg or Morgrave. As for the "learning all the spells", I'd actually recommend Lore Bard, or a normal wizard who takes Magic Initiate feat whenever possible to learn divine spells. It's impossible to learn every spell, but some combination of the above should get you a fair amount of spells over time.

targ8practice
2017-03-14, 03:29 AM
Hmm that's a thought.. though I found something on Keith bakers blog about divine and arcane magic's being sources of power. Got me thinking about maybe going the wizard (theurgy) tradition who taps a divine source but then that source finds him and demands tribute... So translation takes a few levels in warlock with either the seeker patron or great old one (or there abouts)

JackPhoenix
2017-03-14, 06:23 PM
As I see it, "understands all magic" isn't the same as "can cast all spells". Proficiency in Arcana covers understanding what makes magic tick (or go boom, I guess), especially with some kind of expertise... Lore Bard is good for that, and the ability to pick up spells from other classes on top of bard's list that combines some spells from divine (healing), arcane (illusions and enchantments) and nature (speaking with animals, Awaken) spell lists helps with that. Another possibility is Knowledge or Arcana domain cleric... Knowledge for expertise in lore skills, Arcana for better access to wizard spell list... both sounds good for Aureon's follower, or, if he doesn't care what kind of magic he studies, the Shadow. Perhaps with Ritual Caster to get even better access to different spell list, even if it covers only ritual spells.

Another possibility is Artificer (though not the one WotC has shown us, I'm afraid)... according to Keith Baker's vision, artificers are the true masters of knowledge how magic works. Sure, they can't actually cast spells themselves... but they know how to jury-rig an one-shot magic item that achieves the same effect. I have good experience with this (http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf) homebrew version of Artificer, though some spells need a little re-balance

Herobizkit
2017-03-14, 09:16 PM
I'd like to suggest a Knowledge Cleric (or Arcana Cleric from the SCAG) and multi-class with Divination Wizard. Toss on Sage or Cloistered Scholar (also from SCAG) as a background. Mix to taste.

Bard is certainly a lore-master in his own right but he doesn't STUDY. Warlocks cheat. Sorcerers are born with it.

Bonus points if you Dwarf it up.

Lawful Good
2017-03-14, 10:06 PM
Bonus points if you Dwarf it up.

Ha ha, a merry jest.

[More Quietly]
A silver for every Dwarf head brought before me.

I would say Artificer. I LOVE this character concept of "knowing everything" and regularly play homebrew artificers. I would recommend going that route if you do want an artificer, as I've DMed with the UA one and it feels like a glorified Warlock.

If you're interested, here's (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zArJTM03ITfKAQDEszZJ-kz2vdu0wR6u4MmABrPtQRM/edit) the homebrew I've been using the longest.

Otherwise, going for the Mystic from the recent UA could work, as it seems very versatile. Even if you can't "know" every spell, the feel is there.

Sabeta
2017-03-14, 10:15 PM
There's nothing that says you're required to sell your soul to be a Warlock, you just need an event or a contract of some kind. The source of your power doesn't even need to be known, so here's a Walock version.

Your desire to know all the magics has convinced you that bargaining with dark powers is a good idea. You perform a basic demon summoning ritual, and pull a lowly Imp. While you contemplate smiting the creature he mentions that he's a servant of Asmodeus who was granted a favor from his dark master for doing a "good" deed. The little imp only wants to see the surface world and explore it in all its glory, and is willing to give you the arcane powers you seek in exchange for being allowed to tag along.

The same kind of backstory works well for any archetype really. A fairy who wants to see the world, a GOO that wants to study humans, etc. Wizard is an easy object of course, since by their very nature work hard to study arcane magics, but I thought I'd show that you can do just as well with a Warlock, and maybe even a Sorcerer.

Lawful Good
2017-03-14, 10:32 PM
As I see it, "understands all magic" isn't the same as "can cast all spells". Proficiency in Arcana covers understanding what makes magic tick (or go boom, I guess), especially with some kind of expertise... Lore Bard is good for that, and the ability to pick up spells from other classes on top of bard's list that combines some spells from divine (healing), arcane (illusions and enchantments) and nature (speaking with animals, Awaken) spell lists helps with that. Another possibility is Knowledge or Arcana domain cleric... Knowledge for expertise in lore skills, Arcana for better access to wizard spell list... both sounds good for Aureon's follower, or, if he doesn't care what kind of magic he studies, the Shadow. Perhaps with Ritual Caster to get even better access to different spell list, even if it covers only ritual spells.

Another possibility is Artificer (though not the one WotC has shown us, I'm afraid)... according to Keith Baker's vision, artificers are the true masters of knowledge how magic works. Sure, they can't actually cast spells themselves... but they know how to jury-rig an one-shot magic item that achieves the same effect. I have good experience with this (http://www.eberron5e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Class-Artificer-Full-Class-v3.4.pdf) homebrew version of Artificer, though some spells need a little re-balance

I would recommend reading Keith Baker's version of the Artificer to the OP. He explains the decisions he makes in his Artificer, and it can be used as inspiration in creating a character that knows everything.