PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Spell or item that gives bonus to any d20 roll?

Bill Bisco
2017-03-13, 08:01 PM
Is there any 3.5 spell or item that grants bonuses to a d20 roll in general or any kind of check?

Is there a 3.5 item or spell that allows Reroll of any d20 roll?

Deaxsa
2017-03-13, 08:07 PM
Is there any 3.5 spell or item that grants bonuses to a d20 roll in general or any kind of check?

Is there a 3.5 item or spell that allows Reroll of any d20 roll?

Go to the RAW thread for this?
And yeah, there should be plenty of stuff. Not a direct upgrade, but the first thing that comes to mind is a luck cleric's reroll 1/day.

Why does it need to be any roll or check?

Bill Bisco
2017-03-13, 08:38 PM
Go to the RAW thread for this?
And yeah, there should be plenty of stuff. Not a direct upgrade, but the first thing that comes to mind is a luck cleric's reroll 1/day.

Why does it need to be any roll or check?

I believe a bardic knowledge check is neither a skill check nor an ability check. I want to be able to get high numbers as consistently as possible.

Bronk
2017-03-13, 09:50 PM
You also add your int bonus, so you can boost that.

There's also a skill synergy with knowledge: history.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-13, 10:16 PM
Moment of Prescience (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/momentOfPrescience.htm)

Bill Bisco
2017-03-14, 12:00 AM
Thank you but Bardic Knowledge is not a skill check. If it was this would be much easier. Moment of prescience won't work.

Gusmo
2017-03-14, 12:10 AM
The choose destiny spell (Races of Destiny) allows you to roll twice on all of the most common d20 rolls. The luck domain power and a mantle of second chances (Magic Item Compendium) allow you to reroll anything. An amulet of second chances will let you redo an entire round, which might be useful to you. I believe these are as close as you'll get to things that are a boon to all d20 rolls. I can think of many things that boost all skill checks, for instance, but I don't think there's anything out there that provides a flat bonuses to all d20 rolls.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-14, 12:48 AM
Thank you but Bardic Knowledge is not a skill check. If it was this would be much easier. Moment of prescience won't work.

Bardic Knowledge is still an ability check, but I'd forgotten that Moment of Prescience only applies to opposed ability checks.

A Headband of the Lorebinder in MIC adds a +4 bonus to Bardic Knowledge checks. It costs 1,600 gp for that +4 bonus, which is bonus squared x 100 gp, which gives precedent for a custom item that grants a bonus of up to +30 at the same rate.

Bill Bisco
2017-03-14, 01:40 AM
@Gusmo. Choose destiny won't work because Bardic Knowledge is not a skill or an ability check. Amulet of second chances and the luck domain should work. Good catch.

@Biffo I don't think Bardic knowledge meets the criteria of an ability check. It adds Bard level which ability checks don't do.

I think a custom headband of the lore binder is the way to go with this. 9000 for +30. Easy! Awesome suggestion!

Gusmo
2017-03-14, 03:10 AM
One last thing that I just thought of is the devoted spirit stance aura of perfect order, which allows you to take 11 on any d20 roll, once per round, which is great if you know you're in a situation where you merely need to not roll poorly. The catch is that it's a level 6 stance. I'm not well-versed on ToB related shenanigans, so I don't know how easily you can get access to the stance as a non-initiator.

Thaneus
2017-03-14, 03:36 AM
One last thing that I just thought of is the devoted spirit stance aura of perfect order, which allows you to take 11 on any d20 roll, once per round, which is great if you know you're in a situation where you merely need to not roll poorly. The catch is that it's a level 6 stance. I'm not well-versed on ToB related shenanigans, so I don't know how easily you can get access to the stance as a non-initiator.

without taking crusader levels? Never!
Anyclass 20 is initiator level 10 which equals level 5 Maneuvers maximum. Stance requirement of Two Devoted Spirit maneuvers takes the rest out of you anyway if you do not take crusader levels.

Earliest you can take it with lowest dips in crusader (2) is 20 with anyclass 18+ crusader 2 as the stance for 2nd crusader level (first stance might be thickets of blades).