PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Suggestions for an appropriate animal companion

PangolinPie
2017-03-13, 08:20 PM
Earlier I made this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518193-3-5-Question-about-Familiars inquiring about a familiar/companion issue and ended up deciding on using the Wild Cohort feat. However I'm indecisive on an appropriate choice to fit my character.

My character started out as a dwarf wizard/Barbarian named Angus based heavily off the Scotsman from Samurai Jack; loud, proud, angry and powerful. He's also a chef/grill master and a butcher. At some point he died and was reincarnated as a Gnome (now small).

He never took a familiar but with Wild Cohort I'm pretty sure my GM will let me give him the first level Wizard familiar spell like abilities only having one level of caster. Being small also opens up the potential for a mount that I could ride even in small spaces although Angus is first and foremost a ground based fighter and would most often fight side by side with his companion but having the option open for dramatic effect is fun.

The aesthetic of the dire boar just spoke to me; a big angry walking garbage disposal who would eat all his scraps, has that "barbecue pig" thing and is damn formidable in battle on its own. Only issue is its large in size which limits certain places it could go.

Might still go with it anyway but just curious if anyone had any other ideas. Not a big fan of more predatory hunters; lumbering, dumb, angry brutes fit the theme better LOL.

Currently going into level 12 where I'd be taking Wild Cohort.

ATHATH
2017-03-13, 08:25 PM
Get a Fleshraker. It doesn't matter what your character concept is, adding dinosaurs will always make it better.

In all seriousness, check out eggynack's Druid handbook. He has a whole section on Animal Companions.

PangolinPie
2017-03-13, 08:48 PM
Get a Fleshraker. It doesn't matter what your character concept is, adding dinosaurs will always make it better.

In all seriousness, check out eggynack's Druid handbook. He has a whole section on Animal Companions.

Fleshraker is possibly the furthest thing in my mind I could have imagined honestly LOL

We're also currently in a pretty large city and I have a substantial chunk of change (over 16,000GP) so enhancements or magic gear/barding is a definite option.

Darrin
2017-03-14, 09:38 AM
Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape) can make the Dire Boar one size smaller.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-14, 08:18 PM
Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape) can make the Dire Boar one size smaller.
I dont think it can be used on an animal companion.

I know I have seen a collar that reduces the size of pets for just this situation. Not sure where I saw it though.