PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Yuan-ti encounters

Breakman
2017-03-14, 03:04 AM
In my current campaign, my players have taken an interest in the yuan-ti of the world. I didn't really prepare for this, and have been winging it so far with decent results. I borrowed a lot from the Elder Evils handbook, and the main plot of the Yuan-ti is to cause enough destruction and sacrifice in name of Sertrous that he may be reborn. Unfortunately,
my party has finally arrived at their temple-city of Veshlivenk and I am flat out of ideas for interesting encounters involving these scaly bastards, their reptilian allies and demon friends. Please post encounter ideas, doesn't matter how vague!

PersonMan
2017-03-14, 04:10 AM
An idea I've seen is to have differing factions among the Yuan-Ti, who may oppose each other or aid the PCs to suit their own goals. If one group sees the victory of their people as inevitable, they may be willing to help the party against their hated rivals to keep them from stealing the glory, for example.

noob
2017-03-14, 04:23 AM
Maybe they meet weak yuan tis who were working about this ritual because they were paid for but who does not wants to risk their lives for it?

Pugwampy
2017-03-14, 07:22 AM
Ohh my speciality . What props do you have access to ? Toys, tiles . minis , garden rocks ?

Here is my temple design in honour of the dragon god Killer Saurus .

Temples love archways / statues / rocks leading to a raised platform of some sort .
You can decorate raised platform with an altar / flat stone or plastic mug top or pole to tie a virgin princess on or even a portal about to spew out a monster .An upraised plastic lid is fine .
A basic chessboard for a fancy marble/ obsidian floor works good too .

http://s6.postimg.org/bgq1mmt0x/temple_1.jpg

http://s6.postimg.org/kagy3qfzl/temple_3.jpg

http://s6.postimg.org/siivoq7w1/temple_2.jpg

Yaun Ti adventuring is a perfect excuse to throw a giant snake guardian their way . Find a cheapo rubber snake at a toy shop.

If you want it more fancy , giant snake with its mistress a yaun ti sorceress who is hiding behind or possibly even riding the giant snake ?

EvulOne
2017-03-14, 08:24 AM
One of our DMs ran a story of the Yaun-Ti infiltrating several city councilmen as well as took over the local thieves guild. It was hell on earth (Faerun) as we had to watch our backs as we were worrying about what the city rulers were doing in the shadows.

Firechanter
2017-03-14, 08:40 AM
Do you know the Storm of Zehir expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2? That one basically revolves around Yuan-Ti.
Including the theme mentioned by EvulOne: they have infiltrated critical segments of the government, while the guards go around and arrest all the wrong (innocent) people.

Breakman
2017-03-14, 10:06 AM
An idea I've seen is to have differing factions among the Yuan-Ti, who may oppose each other or aid the PCs to suit their own goals. If one group sees the victory of their people as inevitable, they may be willing to help the party against their hated rivals to keep them from stealing the glory, for example.

A solid idea, I already had some rumors about renegade yuan-ti going on, so they could be an allied force if the party plays their cards smart.

Maybe they meet weak yuan tis who were working about this ritual because they were paid for but who does not wants to risk their lives for it?

I don't really know about that, most of the yuan-ti still in their city are fiercely devoted to their leader, the ones that didn't want anything to do with it fled the city long ago.

Ohh my speciality . What props do you have access to ? Toys, tiles . minis , garden rocks ?

Here is my temple design in honour of the dragon god Killer Saurus .

Temples love archways / statues / rocks leading to a raised platform of some sort .
You can decorate raised platform with an altar / flat stone or plastic mug top or pole to tie a virgin princess on or even a portal about to spew out a monster .An upraised plastic lid is fine .
A basic chessboard for a fancy marble/ obsidian floor works good too .

Yaun Ti adventuring is a perfect excuse to throw a giant snake guardian their way . Find a cheapo rubber snake at a toy shop.

If you want it more fancy , giant snake with its mistress a yaun ti sorceress who is hiding behind or possibly even riding the giant snake ?

Oh wow that looks amazing! Unfortunately, I play via roll20 :smallfrown: I suppose I should have specified that.
Snakeriders is still a great idea!

One of our DMs ran a story of the Yaun-Ti infiltrating several city councilmen as well as took over the local thieves guild. It was hell on earth (Faerun) as we had to watch our backs as we were worrying about what the city rulers were doing in the shadows.

They already dealt with such intrigues in their homecity and in the lizardfolk tribes they encountered in the jungles.
They are currently heading toward the yuan-ti city in the middle of the jungle, readying themselves for the final confrontation.

Do you know the Storm of Zehir expansion for Neverwinter Nights 2? That one basically revolves around Yuan-Ti.
Including the theme mentioned by EvulOne: they have infiltrated critical segments of the government, while the guards go around and arrest all the wrong (innocent) people.

I own the game, but haven't played it due to time constraints. I could look some encounters from the game up anyways. As I said (and should have mentioned in the OP), the players know who their enemy is and are headed for the final showdown.

Should mention that my party is composed of 5 lvl 13 PCs, a barbarian, a wu jen, a bard, a swordsage and a scythe-wielding fighter.

EvulOne
2017-03-14, 10:46 AM
"They already dealt with such intrigues in their homecity and in the lizardfolk tribes they encountered in the jungles.
They are currently heading toward the yuan-ti city in the middle of the jungle, readying themselves for the final confrontation."

How about setting up a timed scenario, the players must retrieve an artifact that is important to them in a certain amount of time and run them through Tuckers Kobolds scenario....with Yuan-Ti. Traps, alternate monsters trained by them, magic spells etc.

Or....if you really want to be evil, when they players are all buffed up and ready to go, have the majority of the city abandoned. So their spells and preparations are wasted, only to have the Yuan-Ti return soon after (they left for a major ritual somewhere else or something) and now the players have to defend their position from an army of Yuan-Ti when they're not buffed and ready.