PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Grimoires and Mind-Blank status

Itakai
2017-03-14, 06:42 AM
Hello fellow giants, I am trying to make a new mechanic for a campaign I will be running as well as balancing it out. The general idea behind this was allowing spellcasting to non-caster classes.

This is actually very important to the campaign and if it works well, I hope to use it in future campaigns.

First is a new status condition which I will call "Mind-Blank" until a better name comes up. The idea for mind-blank is pushing yourself beyond mental limits. Acquiring mind-blank causes you to become unconscious until you recover.

Secondly is the idea of a grimoire, a magical book that once read becomes blank, teaching the reader a new spell if they meet a stat requirement.

======================================
Grimoires & Mind-Blank
======================================

Reading a "Grimoire" for the first time adds access to Grimoire spell slots according to your level as the table below describes, though you will not be able to cast any Grimoire spell until your next long rest. A Grimoire takes 8 hours to read.

1 - 1
6 - 2
11 - 3
16 - 3

2 - 1
7 - 2
12 - 3
17 - 3

3 - 1
8 - 2
13- 3
18 - 3

4 - 1
9 - 2
14 - 3
19 - 3

5 - 1
10 - 2
15 - 3
20 - 3

Reading a Grimoire will add a Grimoire spell to your spells known.*
Unlike normal spell slots, spells that use these can be cast even when no spell slots are available.
The casting abilites of these spells remain the same regardless of class. If the spell is on multiple spell lists, you may choose the casting ability.
If you cast a Grimoire spell with no spell slots available, you incur "mind-blank" damage of 2 points per spell level. If the spell is not on your class spell list, you incur 4 points per spell level instead.
The maximum number of Grimoire spells you may know is the same as the number of Grimoire spells slots you have, and you can permanently forget any Grimoire spell at anytime.
A Grimoire spell, unlike normal spells, require only verbal components.
Grimoires can be cast without preparation.
*A Grimoire spell is the same as a normal spell, but must be cast with Grimoire slots. To learn a Grimoire spell, you must have a casting ability of the class whose spell list it appears on of 10 + spell level. (If they are in multiple spell lists, you can select which ability to use based on which classes are available.)

Mind-blank damage is the result of pushing your mind past its limits.
Upon receiving mind-blank damage, your current hit points are reduced by the damage received, as well are you maximum hit points are reduced by the same amount.
If receiving mind-blank damage would reduce your current hit points to 0 but your maximum hit points were above 0, you are considered stable, and will wake in 1d4 rounds.
If receiving mind-blank damage would reduce your current and maximum hit points to 0, you maximum hit points become 1 and you are considered to be dying.
Mind-blank damage heals 10 points during a short rest, and fully heals during a long rest.

I would love to hear some opinions on this, as like I said it is something semi-crucial to the campaign setting.

freeWeemsy
2017-03-14, 05:23 PM
This reminds me a lot of how spells used to work in Diablo 1 where fighters could learn the same spells as sorcerers, but they couldn't level them up as high. In this case I'd borrow a couple of mechanics from that system and implement them here.

I'd start by having these spells only apply to cantrips, low level spells(level 1, MAYBE level 2), and weaker homebrewed magics. I'd also create a hard limit on how many spells can be learned based on either their int score, or their level. Also I would limit the number of times they can cast from this pool of spells per day, maybe implementing some type of sorcery point, or just a secondary spell slot system.

I would also allow casters to acquire this type of magic and have it be a separate magical pool from their normal spells. For example a level Sorcerer who has grimoire magic would have spell slots that look something like this.

Spell Type - Spell Slots
Level 1 - 3
Level 2 - 2
Grimoire - 2

This way they can benefit from this system, and it doesn't make it serve as an indirect nerf to spellcasters in your campaign.

I think as long as it is limited, and doesn't overly step on the toes of casters it could work really well!

Itakai
2017-03-14, 06:06 PM
I'd start by having these spells only apply to cantrips, low level spells(level 1, MAYBE level 2), and weaker homebrewed magics. I'd also create a hard limit on how many spells can be learned based on either their int score, or their level.
I think this is a good call for limiting how many grimoires you can learn, and I think that this may be a good choice.> The maximum spells that can be learned from a grimoire are equal to your int modifier

At anytime you can decide to permanently forget a spell granted by a grimoire
As for limiting which spells would be available, the grimoires are quite rare, to the point where you would only on a very rare occasion find one available for purchase, and at that you could never look for a specific grimoire. They are very old tomes lost to time on even how they were created.

Also I would limit the number of times they can cast from this pool of spells per day, maybe implementing some type of sorcery point, or just a secondary spell slot system.
Was this a statement that you did not care for the idea of mind-blank? This is just for curiosity, rather than a disagreement.

I would also allow casters to acquire this type of magic and have it be a separate magical pool from their normal spells. For example a level Sorcerer who has grimoire magic would have spell slots that look something like this.

I very much like this idea as well, as it would provide a large benefit toward casters as well as non casters. I will think as to how to implement this.

freeWeemsy
2017-03-14, 06:18 PM
Nope mind-blank looks good! The issue was reading comprehension on my part haha.

Itakai
2017-03-22, 04:37 PM
Nope mind-blank looks good! The issue was reading comprehension on my part haha.

I have updated the OP with a new version that I have thought about a bit with some feedback from you, other players, and my own players for the campaign I will be running soon, and would still love some feedback.