PDA

View Full Version : Melee Dread Necromancer Cha to things

angelblood_6x
2017-03-14, 06:51 AM
Hello dear forumers,
I have this Dread Necromancer (currently lvl 10). I'm playing it like a bad mounted guy, who can casts spells and summon minions.
While I will get tons of damages from mounted charge modifiers, I have problems with Atk. I already read the x to y thread, but noone of the choices are good for me Imho. So I want to ask you if I'm missing something.
My character has really good CHA stat. Although is not pwp, I want to stay with dread necro until lvl 20, at wich point the campaign will probably end. So multiclassing is not an option.
I can't use slippery of battledancing cause my character is mounted, right? And because I have to use the lance for X multipliers, wich is not a light or 1H weapon.
My first idea is CHA to Atk, but I'm open to every idea to permanently or semi-permanently increase my attack rolls.
Best option would be a feat or a feats tree, cause I'm currently not feat-hungering. Or maybe some gear, on me or my mount.

Others info:
I will mount a flying zombie dragon, and attacking with lance during dive attacks. I will wear a mithril fullplate (I have the combat casting feat to do so). I have versatile spellcaster.
Thank you in advance to everyone who wants to contribute :smallsmile:

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-14, 07:17 AM
Shame you're not doing archery; Cha to ranged attacks is only one feat (Charming the Arrow).

Given that you're doing melee, I'm guessing the best bet is a Smite of some description. Ordained Champion probably gives the best version, for the cost of two levels, a caster level, and a feat. (It also adds all the War domain spells to your class lists and has full BAB; another level gives you Duskblade style spell channeling)
Edit: sorry, didn't see that you didn't want to multiclass. Killorens can natively Smite 1/hour? And if you can get Thunderlance on your list somehow (Extra Spell?) that's... Not a lance, but runs off your casting stat.

angelblood_6x
2017-03-14, 07:34 AM
Shame you're not doing archery; Cha to ranged attacks is only one feat (Charming the Arrow).

Given that you're doing melee, I'm guessing the best bet is a Smite of some description. Ordained Champion probably gives the best version, for the cost of two levels, a caster level, and a feat. (It also adds all the War domain spells to your class lists and has full BAB; another level gives you Duskblade style spell channeling)
Edit: sorry, didn't see that you didn't want to multiclass. Killorens can natively Smite 1/hour? And if you can get Thunderlance on your list somehow (Extra Spell?) that's... Not a lance, but runs off your casting stat.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not totally out with archery - it could be good, and I suspect my DM would let me change my feats if I ask him. Problem is that the feat you pointed out is Web source, while I think my DM would let us choose only from book sources. However, even if DM lets me Chariming the Arrow, how will I go for at least medium damages, not the 1d8 bow base dmg?
While I'm not positive to multiclass, if the bet is good enough, I definitevely would consider it. I will give the Ordained Champion a read, thanks. EDIT: but I think I have not reqs for it, cause I can't cast divine spells - must I get a Lvl of cleric, right?
I also thought to Arcane Strike feat: currently I don't use so much spells in fight, because my spell list is limited and the spells are useful only in a bunch of situations; Thunderlance could be good, thought I can't get it from Advanced Learning :smallfrown: , taking the Extra Spell feat is not a problem. The main concern is that I will lose the big x4 dmg bonus with lance, since I have spirited charge and riding boots atm.

noce
2017-03-14, 07:38 AM
I wonder if you're lawful, but I doubt it.
Law Devotion gives you a scaling bonus, +5 at your level. You can expend rebuke attempts to get more uses per day.

Maybe you're chaotic, then Chaos Devotion gives you a to-hit boost with a 50% probability. I woudn't take it, though.

Destruction Devotion could fit your character: it lowers enemy armor after every hit, but you have to hit in the first place.

Knowledge Devotion gives you a bonus to both attack and damage based on your knowledges.

While we're at it, Death Devotion bestows the target negative levels (the DC is CHA based).

Arcane Strike lets you sacrifice a spell slot to increase both attack and damage, it's really good.

Cobalt Charge gives you a +1 bonus to hit and damage on a charge, can be improved taking more feats.

Reckless Charge doubles both bonuses and penalties of a charge, meaning you get +4 to hit instead of +2.

I think you know about Weapon Focus, right?

angelblood_6x
2017-03-14, 07:53 AM
I wonder if you're lawful, but I doubt it.
Law Devotion gives you a scaling bonus, +5 at your level. You can expend rebuke attempts to get more uses per day.

Maybe your chaotic, then Chaos Devotion gives you a to-hit boost with a 50% probability. I woudn't take it, though.

Destruction Devotion could fit your character: it lowers enemy armor after every hit, but you have to hit in the first place.

Knowledge Devotion gives you a bonus to both attack and damage based on your knowledges.

While we're at it, Death Devotion bestows the target negative levels (the DC is CHA based).

Arcane Strike lets you sacrifice a spell slot to increase both attack and damage, it's really good.

Cobalt Charge gives you a +1 bonus to hit and damage on a charge, can be improved taking more feats.

I think you know about Weapon Focus, right?

Yeah, I'm Lawful! And this lawful devotion seems really good, I think I'll get it at lvl 12. Imho it outperforms Arcane strike, cause doesn't burn spells, and atm it gives me +5 for 1 minute (10 rounds), while to get +5 with arcane strike I have to burn 10 lvl 5 spells - wich currently I don't have, too. Plus it can be switched to AC, really good talent. I think I will go fot Lawful devotion lvl 12 and then Arcane Strike lvl 15, leaving lvl 18 for Destruction Devotion.
I think I will change my Versatile Spellcaster feat - it is good as written, but I found little use for it atm.

If I would want to take Cobalt Charge, how can I get more essentias?

noce
2017-03-14, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I'm Lawful! And this lawful devotion seems really good, I think I'll get it at lvl 12. Imho it outperforms Arcane strike, cause doesn't burn spells, and atm it gives me +5 for 1 minute (10 rounds), while to get +5 with arcane strike I have to burn 10 lvl 5 spells - wich currently I don't have, too. Plus it can be switched to AC, really good talent. I think I will go fot Lawful devotion lvl 12 and then Arcane Strike lvl 15, leaving lvl 18 for Destruction Devotion.
I think I will change my Versatile Spellcaster feat - it is good as written, but I found little use for it atm.

If I would want to take Cobalt Charge, how can I get more essentias?

The easiest way is with more feats. But I suggest you to don't take it, I just listed it for completeness sake (the same reason that keeps me editing that post).

angelblood_6x
2017-03-14, 07:58 AM
I would really consider feats for my mount too - we gived it the possibility to take feats, and since it has a lot of HD, it has a lot of feats too. My dragon has huge Atk but low dmg - seems perfect to give it Destructive Devotion, to lower AC with attacks, and then I'll smash enemy with my mounted lance attack.

WhamBamSam
2017-03-14, 09:15 AM
I would really consider feats for my mount too - we gived it the possibility to take feats, and since it has a lot of HD, it has a lot of feats too. My dragon has huge Atk but low dmg - seems perfect to give it Destructive Devotion, to lower AC with attacks, and then I'll smash enemy with my mounted lance attack.Martial Stance (Island of Blades) on the mount would make it always flank with you, for +2. You could get that up to +4 by taking the Great Teamwork feat on your character or being a Kenku.

As a Dread Necro, you could take Arcane Disciple (Competition or something) to get Divine Power. You could even persist it with some shenanigans.

Deophaun
2017-03-14, 09:34 AM
Martial Stance (Island of Blades) on the mount would make it always flank with you, for +2. You could get that up to +4 by taking the Great Teamwork feat on your character or being a Kenku.
Plus, you can then have a Shadow Hand Discipline Gauntlet for +3 on all attacks (as Discipline Weapon doesn't specify that it's untyped bonus is just for attacks with the weapon).

ShurikVch
2017-03-14, 11:24 AM
Note:
Corrupt spells (see page 125) represent a store of spells not on a dread necromancer's normal spell list that she can nevertheless learn and cast.Vileblade spell ("Secrets of the Skinscribes", Dragon #300) forms part of your soul int sword-like beam which acts like +4 unholy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#unholy) longsword, except all damage is [vile], you don't need proficiency with longsword to wield it, you add your Cha mod to attack and damage rolls, cause double damage to creatures with opposite alignment, and creature struck with crit. switch alignment to match your and acts as if charmed by you until the spell end (no save)