PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [PEACH] Rakshasan: Rakshasa Planetouched

ravencroft0
2017-03-14, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone. I was looking through my old characters from 3.5 and saw a tiefling monk I made. Her backstory was that she was the combination of a rakshasa and succubus bloodlines, which resulted in faint striping on her body and other unique features. Long story short, I thought this write up might be a decent way of porting her race to 5e with respects to the different rakshasas. Would appreciate some input. Thanks in advance.

Rakshasan v.2.0
Rakshasan Traits
Rakshasans share certain racial traits as a result of their rakshasa heritage.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Age. Rakshasans mature at the same rate as humans but have been known to live to 120 years of age.
Alignment. Due to their fiendish blood, it is most common for rakshasans to turn to a life of evil. However, it is not uncommon for a weaker bloodline, or one of a long descent, to produce a good alignment. Usually, a rakshasan is some type of neutral non-good.
Size. Rakshasans can vary in body type but most are lithe if not muscular. Males can be 5 and a half to 6 and a half feet tall, while females are usually 6 inches shorter than males. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You speak, read, and write Common and Infernal.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Detect Presence. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks and on Intelligence (Investigation) checks.
Innate Spellcasting. You can cast disguise self once per long rest. Additionally, you know a cantrip that is exclusive to your chosen subrace.
Claw Attack. You have retractable claws on each hand that you treat as light, finesse weapons, for which you are proficient, that deal 1d4 slashing damage.
Whenever you hit a creature, it must make a Constitution save (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution ability modifier). On a failed save, the creature is stricken with a disease that prevents it from benefiting from a short rest. Each long rest the creature can make another Constitution save to be rid of the condition, otherwise it goes away after 10 days. If the creature is hit by another claw attack before the 10 day period ends, the healing process is reset from the time of the last attack.
The disease is magical in nature and can only be removed by remove curse or other spells and abilities that remove diseases.
Subraces. Due to the different types of raskshasas that exist, there have been three recorded rakshasan subraces: naztharunan, rajahan, and zakyan. Choose one of these for your character.
Naztharunan
The naztharune rakshasas are known to be spies and assassins. Naztharunans thus are drawn to the shadows and the classes that specialize in being a sneak. A naztharunan can be a part of a band of mercenaries, an assassin for a thieves guild, or even a quiet hunter in the shadows of the forest. You have a natural inclination to dress in clothing that better helps you meld into the shadows. If your rakshasan trait affects the hair on your body, your hair can be jet black or midnight blue.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Cantrip. You know the mage hand cantrip.
Shadow Jump. At 5th level you learn a limited version of dimension door. The spell must be cast while in a shadow and your destination must also be a shadow. The maximum range of your jump is 30 feet. You may only use this ability once per long rest.
Rajahan
The rajahan are descended from ancient sorcerous spellcasters: the common, orange-furred rakshasa or the white-furred ak'chazar. Rajahan are contemptuous and dis-missive of those they feel are their inferior, which is everyone. Any respect they show toward others is grudging at best.
When playing a rajahan, you strive for and yearn to be the best in everything. You dress in the finest clothing you can afford and can be quite narcissistic and vain. Within your adventuring party, you are arrogant and constantly point out how you are better than everyone else. You make a point of rubbing defeat in the face of your opponent. As a rajahan, you aim to be the best of your kind and hope for the day when someone calls for proof.
Ability Score Increase. You have the option of increasing your Intelligence score by 2 or by 1. If you increase your Intelligence by 1, then increase your Charisma by 1 as well.
Cantrip. You know the minor illusion cantrip.
Grudging Respect. At 5th level you can cast fear once per long rest at its lowest caster level without need for components. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Zakyan
Zakyans are the first to pick up a sword or launch an arrow, as the zakyan bloodline is that of the warrior. While you can be quite proficient in spellcasting, your natural inclination is toward the martial classes where you can exercise the ferocity within your soul. Zakyans can be fiercely loyal, short-tempered, volatile, or zealously devout.
Zakyans appreciate well crafted armor and weapons and make sure to always keep there equipment in good repair. Zakyans also take care to keep their selves in good physical condition, as they all instinctively know, a weapon is only as good as the hand that carries it.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution increases by 2.
Cantrip. You know the true strike cantrip.
Intuitive Defense. At 5th level, once per long rest, you may add your proficiency bonus to your AC as reaction to being the target of an attack. The attack source must be within 30 feet of you, and you can only use this ability before taking a hit.

BoogieFrights
2017-03-14, 01:34 PM
Neat!

This does not stack with the conventional tiefling correct?
If not I think it's rather fun and balanced. Question about the infection on the claws, is it psudomagical in that it resists conventional healing or was that just an oversight.
So what degree of cattiness do they have, is it something you have established or would a table with various traits be appropriate.
Cool idea.

JNAProductions
2017-03-14, 02:34 PM
8+character level? No.

8+Proficiency+stat mod.

Otherwise, seems good-maybe a bit weak.

ravencroft0
2017-03-14, 03:25 PM
Neat!

This does not stack with the conventional tiefling correct?
If not I think it's rather fun and balanced. Question about the infection on the claws, is it psudomagical in that it resists conventional healing or was that just an oversight.
So what degree of cattiness do they have, is it something you have established or would a table with various traits be appropriate.
Cool idea.

The general idea is that you can be as "kitty" as you want, but you cannot have a cat head or the backward palms. Something else I was throwing around and touched upon in the "Alignment" section, the more alike to a rakshasa you are in physical appearance, the less likely you are to be a good-aligned character. When you look that much like a rakshasa, you have absolutely no choice but to be bad. This feels restrictive but makes sense thematically.

Yes, I suppose it is pseudomagical. Paladins and monks (when they get to the appropriate levels) shouldn't be affected by it. That feature is almost fluff anyway. It could make for challenging play if a party member were attacked by an NPC, but it isn't meant to be a game changer. Rakshasas have the same ability only it is much nastier.

Does this stack with the conventional tiefling? I'm not sure I know what you mean. This is its own race, so to speak. I was imagining rakshasans were rare or uncommon, but if you're in Eberron, they are probably more common.

ravencroft0
2017-03-14, 07:28 PM
8+character level? No.

8+Proficiency+stat mod.

Otherwise, seems good-maybe a bit weak.

Is that a mandatory thing in 5e? If the save were to stay as is, would that give it more power? A level 20 character would have a save requirement of 28 versus (8+6+5) =19. Or is that too much power? Please check the 5e MM rakshasa's Claw Attack. If you still feel the rakshasan needs to be changed, then sure. Thanks for your input.

JNAProductions
2017-03-14, 09:21 PM
Way too powerful. For perspective, the highest possible stat mod is +5 (+10 for monsters, but incredibly rare). That's an impossible save (15% chance) without proficiency, and even with proficiency and a 20 in the relevant stat, you'd need a 17 to save. Way too good.

ravencroft0
2017-03-15, 03:14 AM
Okay. That makes sense.

ravencroft0
2017-03-16, 06:53 AM
Hello, everyone. Here (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1QAZ8rol) is an update for the rakshasan or just look down below if you'd prefer. Added 2 more base abilities and changed some subclass items. Enjoy!

Rakshasan v.2.0
Rakshasan Traits
Rakshasans share certain racial traits as a result of their rakshasa heritage.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Age. Rakshasans mature at the same rate as humans but have been known to live to 120 years of age.
Alignment. Due to their fiendish blood, it is most common for rakshasans to turn to a life of evil. However, it is not uncommon for a weaker bloodline, or one of a long descent, to produce a good alignment. Usually, a rakshasan is some type of neutral non-good.
Size. Rakshasans can vary in body type but most are lithe if not muscular. Males can be 5 and a half to 6 and a half feet tall, while females are usually 6 inches shorter than males. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Languages. You speak, read, and write Common and Infernal.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Detect Presence. You have advantage on Perception (Passive) checks and on checks to see through illusions.
Innate Spellcasting. You can cast disguise self once per long rest. Additionally, you know a cantrip that is exclusive to your chosen subrace.
Claw Attack. You have retractable claws on each hand that you treat as light, finesse weapons, for which you are proficient, that deal 1d4 slashing damage.
Whenever you hit a creature, it must make a Constitution save (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution ability modifier). On a failed save, the creature is stricken with a disease that prevents it from benefiting from a short rest. Each long rest the creature can make another Constitution save to be rid of the condition, otherwise it goes away after 10 days. If the creature is hit by another claw attack before the 10 day period ends, the healing process is reset from the time of the last attack.
The disease is magical in nature and can only be removed by remove curse or other spells and abilities that remove diseases.
Subraces. Due to the different types of raskshasas that exist, there have been three recorded rakshasan subraces: naztharunan, rajahan, and zakyan. Choose one of these for your character.
Naztharunan
The naztharune rakshasas are known to be spies and assassins. Naztharunans thus are drawn to the shadows and the classes that specialize in being a sneak. A naztharunan can be a part of a band of mercenaries, an assassin for a thieves guild, or even a quiet hunter in the shadows of the forest.
Naztharunans are often dark in every way. You have a natural inclination to dress in clothing that better helps you meld into the shadows. If your rakshasan trait affects the hair on your body, your hair then appears jet black or midnight blue.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Cantrip. You know the mage hand cantrip.
Shadow Jump. At 5th level you learn a limited version of dimension door. The spell must be cast while in a shadow and your destination must also be a shadow. The maximum range of your jump is 30 feet. You may only use this ability once per long rest.
Rajahan
The rajahan are descended from ancient sorcerous spellcasters: the common, orange-furred rakshasa or the white-furred ak'chazar. Rajahan are contemptuous and dis-missive of those they feel are their inferior, which is everyone. Any respect they show toward others is grudging at best.
When playing a rajahan, you strive for and yearn to be the best in everything. You dress in the finest clothing you can afford and can be quite narcissistic and vain. Within your adventuring party, you are arrogant and constantly point out how you are better than everyone else. You make a point of rubbing defeat in the face of your opponent. As a rajahan, you aim to be the best of your kind and hope for the day when someone calls for proof.
Ability Score Increase. You have the option of increasing your Intelligence score by 2 or by 1. If you increase your Intelligence by 1, then increase your Charisma by 1 as well.
Cantrip. You know the minor illusion cantrip.
Grudging Respect. At 5th level you can cast fear once per long rest at its lowest caster level without need for components. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell.
Zakyan
Zakyans are the first to pick up a sword or launch an arrow, as the zakyan bloodline is that of the warrior. While you can be quite proficient in spellcasting, your natural inclination is toward the martial classes where you can exercise the ferocity within your soul. Zakyans can be fiercely loyal, short-tempered, volatile, or zealously devout.
Zakyans appreciate well crafted armor and weapons and make sure to always keep there equipment in good repair. Zakyans also take care to keep their selves in good physical condition, as they all instinctively know, a weapon is only as good as the hand that carries it.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution increases by 2.
Cantrip. You know the true strike cantrip.
Intuitive Defense. At 5th level, once per long rest, you may add your proficiency bonus to your AC as reaction to being the target of an attack. The attack source must be within 30 feet of you, and you can only use this ability before taking a hit.

LeonBH
2017-03-16, 10:01 AM
Whenever you hit a creature, it must make a Constitution save (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution ability score)

So with a constitution score of 10 and at level 1, the save DC is 8 + 2 + 10 = 20? Even spell saving throw DCs get up to only 19. Surely you meant DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier?

Also, going by rules-as-written, Detect Presence doesn't do much:

Detect Presence. You have advantage on Perception (Passive) checks and on checks to see through illusions.

Illusion spells always need an action to make an Intelligence (Investigation) check to detect. A DM may house rule that passive perception works too, but this is a house rule. So technically, this feature doesn't interact with illusions at all. Perhaps simply give advantage on the Intelligence (Investigation) checks to discern illusions?

ravencroft0
2017-03-16, 08:52 PM
Thank you for catching and pointing out.

Detect Presence. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks to discover hidden objects and on Intelligence (Investigation) checks to see through illusions.

Better?

Also fixed "Claw Attack."

LeonBH
2017-03-17, 12:06 AM
Looks better.

Claw Attack save DC is still really bad though. That said, if this is a playable race, the downsides don't really stop the DM, as I'd assume they're throwing in monsters who are ready to die anyway.

I'm curious though, why do you not set it to the standard way of setting a DC? It is usually 8 + prof bonus + ability mod. With 8 + character level, you are horribly weak in the beginning, and then horribly strong in the mid- to high-levels.

ravencroft0
2017-03-17, 05:40 AM
I'm curious though, why do you not set it to the standard way of setting a DC? It is usually 8 + prof bonus + ability mod. With 8 + character level, you are horribly weak in the beginning, and then horribly strong in the mid- to high-levels.

Are we looking at the same page? Did I not do that? The rakshasan makes a claw attack against someone, hits, and does 3 damage (including dex mod of 2). Hit creature needs to roll a Constitution save [DC = 13, 8 + 2(dex) + 3(con)] or be afflicted by disease. This isn't meant to be a primary form of attack or a game changer, just an option. Honestly, unless unarmed fighting is your thing, the claw attacks shouldn't be used much at all. The claw attack and disease are pretty much fluff, but you still have the cat thing going on without resorting to being a tabaxi. Which isn't a terrible option, but it doesn't allow you to meld into the crowd very well.

If you're question is about why I had its DC the way it was before, I simply did not know. I don't play as much as I would like, so I'm not the best when it comes to balance, function, and mechanics. Making homebrew and reading critique is just as much educational as it is getting an opinion of whether or not it's cool. So really, THANK YOU for reading and responding.

LeonBH
2017-03-17, 08:16 AM
Ah, no we aren't. I was looking at your OP, which was still v1. Apologies for that. You may want to move the latest version to the OP though, just to avoid confusion.

It looks good. Have you playtested this/gotten someone to playtest it for you? How was that?

ravencroft0
2017-03-18, 06:14 AM
Okay. Updated OP. No, I haven't had anyone playtest this. With that said, please anyone and everyone help yourself.

Creator suggestion: Make this as "kitty" as you want it, just keep in mind reverse palms and complete "cat-head" is a no. Pathfinder has a picture of a Rakshasa tiefling somewhere in their material. Here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51694&stc=1&d=1337416057) it is. I would call that a rajahan.

Have fun and good gaming!