PDA

View Full Version : Barrowmaze (5e) IC Team 1

ybn1197
2017-03-14, 08:34 AM
You have come to the Duchy of Aerik in search of wealth and fame for within the Duchy lies the famed Barrowmaze, a labyrinthine burial crypt with all manner of fortunes and creatures fowl. To this end, you find yourself on the road to a small town known as Helix.

The village of Helix is located between the northern edge of the Barrowmoor and south of the Blackened Forest. Humans established the village centuries ago atop the ruins of a much older settlement. The location affords access to water, the protection of the forest, and fuel supply in the form of harvested peat moss from the bog.

The people of Helix are a mixed group. The remote location of the village, on the western edge of the known world and far removed from civilized society, means the townspeople are either hardy frontiersmen who make the village their home or scoundrels and knaves seeking refuge in the distant corners of the realm.

The time of year also influences the village population. Helix appears relatively quiet during the rainy season in the fall and winter months. During this time, only the foolish would attempt to cross the marsh (even highly skilled rangers and druids would think twice). The water level rises during the rainy season and it makes traversing the ground a perilous undertaking. Instead, most wait until the late spring or early summer to navigate the Barrowmoor.

Helix falls under the feudal protection of Lord Viscount Kell Ironguard. Lord Ironguard has designated his son and heir, Krothos Ironguard, as ruler of the village (even though the young Krothos spends the majority of his time shirking his duties). Lord Ironguard knows his son is too immature for the position, but hopes the responsibilities of leadership will help him grow and develop into the future ruler of Ironguard Motte. In truth, the people of Helix have great admiration for Lord Ironguard but despise his son Krothos who cares little for the well-being of the land and its people. Krothos is rarely seen without his personal advisor and councilor—a weasel-looking fellow in black robes by the name of Ollis Blackfell.

Many folk tales and legends are told in Helix. Of these stories the undead are the most persistent. Village elders agree that the sightings of strange human-like figures shuffling through the fog are a growing threat to their communities. Some locals in Helix blame adventurers for these disturbances and say the barrow mounds must be left alone and that the dead must not be disturbed.

Each fall, the people of Helix celebrate the harvest by constructing a large effigy of Green Man or Herne in the village square made of dried peat, reeds, and hay. The villagers, wearing masks symbolizing the animals of the swamp and forest, surround the effigy with sacrifices, conduct prayers, and then light it aflame on the night of the Autumnal Equinox. This is followed by a celebration of drinking, singing, and dancing. The church of St. Ygg discourages this longstanding practice.

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 10:00 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 53F
Conditions:
Cool
Damp
Light Sources:
Daylight
Known Spells in Effect:
None

Zergrinch
2017-03-14, 09:48 AM
Zayne Gemblossom is the predator. And all those easy marks? Well, on an ordinary day, they'd be prey. Zayne has picked his fair share of pockets -- there is no way someone who lived in the streets for any amount of time to not do otherwise, and still survive.

Not that he can pick the pockets of these people he was traveling with. No, this grizzled bunch could very well tar and feather him without feeling any pang of guilt. Zayne has a feeling crossing this bunch wouldn't be a very good life choice today. Plus! His sites are set way higher than a few wallets today.

Yes sir, he was going for broke -- there be riches in the famed Barrowmaze, and the young sorcerer intends to get in on the action. All these talk of disturbing the dead? Merely stories spread to discourage the faint hearted. Fortune favors the bold, after all.

The wild magic sorcerer takes stock of those around him. Hmm, the lightfoot halfling appears to be wound up so tight, she must be some goody-good and the easiest of marks. The other halfling, aptly named Longbottom (he nearly snickered at that name while introductions were being made) seems just as straight-laced as the lady halfling, though not nearly an overcompensator. Still, Zayne could easily rob them both blind. The pale elf cleric was a mystery though, having said little other than his name, although Zayne didn't feel comfortable with that particular holy symbol on the elf's neck.

The dwarf deserter, Zayne's pretty much seen his type. They all think of themselves as polite and respectful, honor and all that. Such airs usually last until they encounter an owlbear, the sorcerer snickers, although he personally never saw one himself.

Perhaps the oddest character however was the goliath monk, who looks nearly too big to move like most agile monks Zayne has seen. From what Zayne has heard of him, he had a rather tragic backstory, possibly even sadder than Zayne's own (the fifteen year old never even knew his parents, thus he doesn't really miss them). What horrors haunted the monk, Zayne knows not for sure, but based on how the goliath was whimpering while he was sleeping, it can't be anything good.

Deciding to cause a little mischief, the 15-year old sorcerer, who was passing himself as a scrawny 17-year old so he could get in on the action, sidles up to...

[roll0]
1 - Thistle Moonshadow
2 - Aldia
3 - Quin Mossgrow
4 - Kuori Thuliaga
5 - Barton Longbottom

"So. Wassup yo, Barton... Bigbottom was it? Those sharp-shootin' eyes ready to rock and roll?"

wuliten
2017-03-14, 02:10 PM
Twice-Orphaned stays near the rear of the party, ready to spring into action against any potential threats from ahead, while his giant frame made him a prime target from the rear. You could say he seemed on edge, but this was his norm. He was determined to protect this group from harm despite having just met them. He watched Young Elf making nice with Skinny Sword, but decided against engaging anyone in conversation. He was not great with small talk.

Gillric
2017-03-14, 05:42 PM
Barton

It's Longbottom you impudent whipper snapper. Barton replies to the young elf. Why must the young have no sense of tact... Barton trails off before moving towards the front of the group on the road to Helix.

Syldar
2017-03-14, 06:54 PM
Aldia remains silent as he walks. How did I end up with these fools? he thinks to himself.

Videkus
2017-03-14, 08:45 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/teranosouras/Quinhead.png
Quin Mossgrow (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=188591)

Quin glances over his shoulder as the half-elf's voice carries forward to where he was walking at the front of the group. Their march on toward Helix had been relaxing and quite peaceful and he was looking forward to finally arriving so they could begin the task of finding a local willing to lead them to the infamous Barrowmaze. With luck they could leave the morning after they'd arrived and get ahead of any of the other fortune hunters looking to do the same.

Quin and his crew, conquerors of the Barrowmaze, Quin smiles to himself and shifts his glaive to the other shoulder. "As well he knows Barton," Quin calls back. "You should be wary boy, men with blades are quick to see them used and you never know what will push one too far," he warns Zayne.

"Do any of you know anyone in Helix? Some contact perhaps? Someone that can show us the way through the marsh? I've heard half the people that go out into don't return."

Zergrinch
2017-03-14, 08:49 PM
Barton

It's Longbottom you impudent whipper snapper. Barton replies to the young elf. Why must the young have no sense of tact... Barton trails off before moving towards the front of the group on the road to Helix.

Aww come on, man, I don't mean nothing by that. I'm sorry, man. I ain't snapped no whippers, either. Sorry for mangling yo name. We copacetic, bro?

-------

"As well he knows Barton,"[/B] Quin calls back. "You should be wary boy, men with blades are quick to see them used and you never know what will push one too far," he warns Zayne.

"Do any of you know anyone in Helix? Some contact perhaps? Someone that can show us the way through the marsh? I've heard half the people that go out into don't return."

Pops, we be boasting some serious firepower here. Those scrubs who don't return? Bet they found something and are hiding their riches! Why we gotta go and share the wealth with some guide?

ybn1197
2017-03-15, 10:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/kMqSa6h.png (http://imgur.com/a/S1Fnm)

You enter the small village of Helix from the east (right part of the map). As you enter, the first thing that catches your eye (and has caught your eye for the last 5 or so minutes of your trip in) is a spire of stone capped with a dome and a telescope like fixture protruding from it (10 on the map). The stonework is mostly moss covered but the tower looks lived in, not abandoned. As you pass the hill upon which the spire is built you come along a small house with a sign above the door showing 2 longbows placed horizontally with 10 arrows behind them placed vertically (11 on the map). To the south lies a windmill with its blades slowly turning in the breeze (12 on the map). You pass a few more buildings and come to the square of the village (1 on the map). In the middle of the square is a small dias built from rock. Not far from the dias is a pillory to serve as a deterrent for criminals and thieves. Across the square sits a large building with a fenced in area behind it (5 on the map). It appears to be a merchant company. Next to it stands the shrine to St. Ygg (6 on the map), his symbol proudly displayed outside the shrine.

http://i.imgur.com/zD1oxl2.png?1 (http://imgur.com/zD1oxl2)

On the other side of the merchant company is a small building (4 on the map) with the picture of a sword and torch crossed in front of a shield. To the left of where you stand (3 on the map) is a smithy, easily distinguished by the sound of hammer on anvil as the smith toils away the morning. To the right of you (2 on the map) is what looks to be a common goods store. Alongside the trade store sits a large building (8 on the map). The sign above the door depicts a cheekily drawn wench. Between this building and the shrine, a slim 2 story building sits (7 on the map). The sign above the door of this building depicts a couple of coins.

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 10:30 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 53F
Conditions:
Cool
Damp
Light Sources:
Daylight
Known Spells in Effect:
None

wuliten
2017-03-15, 10:53 AM
Twice-Orphaned licks his lips when he sees the tavern.
I think we should start with the tavern. Always good information there, and I could use a drink after that walk.

Syldar
2017-03-15, 10:56 AM
Aldia agrees with the monk. The tavernkeep should have information about the rest of the town, and possibly the dungeon as well.

Videkus
2017-03-15, 03:46 PM

Since arriving in the square Quin had been looking toward the merchant company building with a thoughtful look. He turns, nodding at Twice-Orphaned suggestion. "Good idea soldier. Might pay to secure beds too, if they have any."

"I'll join you inside later," he say waving and marching off towards the merchant company building.

Syldar
2017-03-15, 04:59 PM
Aldia walks into the tavern, likely causing some interest with his unusual garb. He approaches the barkeep. Excuse me, sir. What are some of the places of interest in this village? Besides the maze, of course.

Gillric
2017-03-15, 08:44 PM
Barton

Barton takes a moment to take in all that the small town of Helix has to offer. Seeing nothing of obvious note except a small store, a blacksmith shop and a shrine. It appears the tavern is likely the best place to garner any information and would be a welcome respite from the rigours of thte road.

Barton moves to join the others heading for the tavern.

Zergrinch
2017-03-15, 09:40 PM
"Hey man, I'll have the strongest ya got!" Zayne says to the barkeep, flashing a confident smile.

He's never drunk anything strong in his life, but he's sure he can easily take it!

wuliten
2017-03-15, 09:43 PM
Twice-Orphaned steps in front of Young Elf.
I'll take his drink, make it a double. He's a tad young for this stuff.

Zergrinch
2017-03-15, 10:27 PM
"Aw come on, big guy. Don't be dat way! I can take it!" the half-elf brags confidently.

wuliten
2017-03-15, 10:33 PM
Child, go sit down. You will get food and water shortly. We need to secure rooms in the meantime. Innkeeper, we are looking for seven beds, preferably in two rooms. Are there any rooms available?

Zergrinch
2017-03-15, 11:04 PM
"Just a sip. Pleeeeeaaase?"

wuliten
2017-03-15, 11:07 PM
Twice-Orphaned sighed.
Bring the lad a mug of ale. Water it down. A lot. He whispered the secind half, smiling at Young Elf.

Zergrinch
2017-03-15, 11:18 PM
*Glub glub*

CON Save: [roll0]

"See? I CAN hold my liquor!"

Videkus
2017-03-15, 11:20 PM

Clomping up to the merchant building, Quin opens the door and kicks his shoes free of mud before entering. "Hello?!" he calls out hoping to catch someones attention. While he waits patiently he also looks around, he was here to firstly find a map of the swamps; and secondly from mere curiosity. This town was in the middle of a treacherous swamp and effectively cut off from the outside world for a good part of the year, what on earth was there out here that a merchant company could profit from.

Just looking around, if there's any maps on the walls, he'd look at them too. If he can see into the yard he'll try get an idea of what's int he wagons/storerooms.
Investigation: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

wuliten
2017-03-15, 11:24 PM
Twice-Orphaned chuckles and pats Young Elf on the shoulder.
Aye, that you can.

ybn1197
2017-03-16, 01:59 PM
As you approach the tavern, you spy a man sitting in the mud beside the door muttering to himself. As you approach the door (and therefore the man) you smell the odor wafting from him, the odor of old ale, vomit, and feces. His dark hair is a tangled mess matted with mud. It is difficult to correctly guess his looks given the amount of dirt and filth that covers his face. His muttering drone does not stop or change as you approach the entrance. On the opposite side of the doorway is announcement board with a couple of scraps of paper pinned to its surface.

You walk in to the building cleaning your boots on the door frame. Inside there is man wearing studded leather and holding a long spear. He is seated slumped in a chair looking quite bored. Next to him is a counter with a number of ledger books and spare pieces of paper strewn across every free space. Outside there are a couple of covered stalls for wagons and horses. Pinned to the wall next to the bored man in armor are maps of the area. The man yawns and looks up at your call. "'Ello, what can I be doing for ya? Ya have business with the Silver Standard do ya?"

Syldar
2017-03-16, 02:51 PM
Aldia is not the type pay much attention to random beggar-looking types. This one seems off though, and he plans on leaving the tavern once he has his information, so he may as well see what he's mumbling about... after he gets his info.

King Tius
2017-03-16, 03:31 PM
Thistle snaps from her quiet revere as everyone starts to make their way into the tavern. "You all get started in there, I'm going to see about that tower. We wizards love towers, and where there's a wizard, there's books. Maybe I can find us a map of the barrowmaze or something. Save me some dinner!" She turns and trots off towards the tower. When she arrives, she'll knock with all the confidence of a medium-sized creature and waits politely to be let in.

Videkus
2017-03-16, 03:53 PM

Quin takes in the state of the office and the man's sleepy composure with a judging eye of someone used to more order and sentries that were whipped or executed for falling asleep at their posts. The fact that was still before midday made it worse, it just all spoke of a company poorly run. "That's yet to be seen. I'm newly arrived and the sign out front caught my eye, what exactly is it the Silver Standard trades in?"

He rests his glaive against the wall and clasping his hands behind his back wanders closer to the board and the maps pinned to it. While he did care for the man's answers, he'd already mostly dismissed the man himself. "Your company maps the swamp?" he also asks after a moment.

Zergrinch
2017-03-16, 05:54 PM
Feeling a bit warmer thanks to the alcohol coursing through his veins, Zayne pays the barkeep and decides to get some air. Passing by the notice board on his way out, the half elf Sorcerer takes a look at the scraps of paper posted therein.

ybn1197
2017-03-17, 08:58 AM
Aldia approaches the barkeep and as he starts to say sir, the person turns and reveals herself to be a woman. She is a beautiful woman with some elven features. "Is there anything in particular that you are looking for?" she asks with unconcerned air.

The spire as a whole is very impressive, however the the structure appears to be in a state of disrepair and the walls are covered in a green moss. A sign on the door reads in no uncertain terms: "Do not distrub!"

"Tis a merchant caravan company. It plies the road from Helix to Ironguard Motte and then to Bogtown and back. If yer lookin' for Turgen, he be over at the trade goods store. No caravans are expected today." The man nods with his head back in the direction of the square. "Not particularly," he responds to Quin's question regarding maps. "Mostly purchased from people who have made copies of their own. The route is fairly simple and even with the weather it doesn't change. The drivers are instructed not to alternate their route. Too many opportunities for banditry should they do that."

Zayne finds the following notes:
Bearers and guards are always available for hire on expeditions, inquire with Guildmaster Osen.
Mazzahs the Magnificent seeks information on the people who constructed the Barrowmaze.
Maps of all 4 levels of the Barrowmaze sought by Billworth Turgen. Inquire at the Trade Goods store.

Syldar
2017-03-17, 09:39 AM
Apologies, madam. I would like to know about that tower on the eastern edge of the village. Also, my... allies... and I plan on exploring the barrowmaze. Where could I find information on it?

ybn1197
2017-03-17, 09:48 AM
Apologies, madam. I would like to know about that tower on the eastern edge of the village. Also, my... allies... and I plan on exploring the barrowmaze. Where could I find information on it?

She looks at you with a hint of "why did I have to ask" and replies "Mazzahs place?! You don't want anything to do with that bug-eyed codger. He's as friendly as singed goblin and cheaper than a dwarven miser. As for the barrowmaze, what is it you want to know. Most people around here have more than a passing knowledge of it. The trick is figuring out what you want to know and then getting to the right people."

wuliten
2017-03-17, 09:50 AM
Twice-Orphaned gets a worried look on his face.
Is this Mazzah dangerous?

ybn1197
2017-03-17, 09:58 AM
Twice-Orphaned gets a worried look on his face.
Is this Mazzah dangerous?

The woman looks at Twice-Orphaned. "Only in the way that crazed wizards get. Mazzahs likes his privacy and is not really a people-person."

wuliten
2017-03-17, 10:07 AM
Twice-Orphaned turns to the group.
Do you guys think someone should go after Thistle?

King Tius
2017-03-17, 10:23 AM
Thistle

The young wizard is about to be deterred by the sign and the general disrepair of the tower, but then she has a thought. If the building were abandoned, it wouldn't say "disturb" now would it? Not all wizards are as fastidious as she is. In fact, many can be downright sloppy and gross. Convinced there's a lead to follow, she knocks loudly three times.

Syldar
2017-03-17, 10:29 AM
Who would know about getting to the maze safely, what lives there, and what traps and hazards are present?

Videkus
2017-03-17, 06:49 PM
Just a simple trade post. With a deep sigh Quin walks back over and retrieves his weapon. "Thank you for your time," he nods to the man and heads outside.

Wandering over to the well in the center of the village square he shrugs off his pack, settling it carefully on the ground he then draws up a bucket of cold well water. He was happy that they'd finally arrived at their destination and imagined their trip back would be made much easier if wealth was to be found in the Barrowmaze. Stripping his gloves, helm and coif off, he plunges his hands into the bucket scrubbing them clean and then pours the rest of the bucket over the back of his head, careful not to get his armor wet. "Ah!" he shakes most of the water free from his hair as he stands back up feeling much refreshed.

Stuffing his stripped gear into the top of his pack, he throws it over one shoulder and heads to the tavern. If Twice-Orphaned had secured rooms, he'd be glad to be done with the extra weight of the pack while they had the luxury of town.

Zergrinch
2017-03-17, 06:52 PM
Twice-Orphaned turns to the group.
Do you guys think someone should go after Thistle?

"Nah, Imma sure Thistle can take care o' hesself, pops. I think we should be lookin' into this Billworth Turgen dude. He's lookin' fer Barrowmaze maps. He be a competitor."

wuliten
2017-03-20, 03:35 PM
"Nah, Imma sure Thistle can take care o' hesself, pops. I think we should be lookin' into this Billworth Turgen dude. He's lookin' fer Barrowmaze maps. He be a competitor."

Alright, the rest of you do that after we have secured lodgings. I'm going to go to this wizard's tower, make sure she's okay.
Twice-Orphaned steps out of the tavern and makes his way towards the tower.

Zergrinch
2017-03-20, 07:53 PM
"'Scuse me while I give this Turgen dude a good talking to," Zayne says cockily as he strolls out of the tavern after the Goliath.

ybn1197
2017-03-22, 11:53 AM
Thistle

The young wizard is about to be deterred by the sign and the general disrepair of the tower, but then she has a thought. If the building were abandoned, it wouldn't say "disturb" now would it? Not all wizards are as fastidious as she is. In fact, many can be downright sloppy and gross. Convinced there's a lead to follow, she knocks loudly three times.

All is silent as the sound of the knocking echoes as if retreating into the distance. As the sound of the final knock becomes faint and finally fades, you hear a crotchety old voice call out, "Go away! Can't you read?"

ybn1197
2017-03-22, 11:59 AM
Who would know about getting to the maze safely, what lives there, and what traps and hazards are present?

The woman turns back to you, "You would best be going to see Guildmaster Osen in that case. From what I understand its been too many seasons since he last stepped foot in there to be of any use however he does hire out locals looking for extra gold to fools like yourselves interested in seeing what the maze holds. They ones that come back would be able to answer those questions."

ybn1197
2017-03-22, 12:03 PM
Stuffing his stripped gear into the top of his pack, he throws it over one shoulder and heads to the tavern. If Twice-Orphaned had secured rooms, he'd be glad to be done with the extra weight of the pack while they had the luxury of town.

Alright, the rest of you do that after we have secured lodgings. I'm going to go to this wizard's tower, make sure she's okay.
Twice-Orphaned steps out of the tavern and makes his way towards the tower.

"'Scuse me while I give this Turgen dude a good talking to," Zayne says cockily as he strolls out of the tavern after the Goliath.

The three of you meet together at the center of the village; Quin on his way to the inn, Twice-Orphaned on his way to the tower, and Zayne on his way to the Trades Goods store. At this point in time, rooms have NOT been secured.

Syldar
2017-03-22, 12:33 PM
Thank you. If my irksome companions return to rent our rooms, tell them that I already purchased mine. As he says this, he gives the woman the money for a single room. Farewell. Aldia leaves the inn and heads to the guildhall.

Syldar
2017-03-22, 12:37 PM
As he exits, he attempts to hear what the man in the mud is muttering.
[roll0]

King Tius
2017-03-22, 12:44 PM
All is silent as the sound of the knocking echoes as if retreating into the distance. As the sound of the final knock becomes faint and finally fades, you hear a crotchety old voice call out, "Go away! Can't you read?"

"I'm not disturbing, I'm inquiring! Please sir, weren't you an apprentice once? Us new mages need your wisdom or the art will be lost forever!"

Persuasion check: [roll0]

ybn1197
2017-03-22, 01:48 PM
As he exits, he attempts to hear what the man in the mud is muttering.
Aldia is unsure what the man is muttering about. It is very disjointed and makes very little sense in the short time he devotes to listening.

"I'm not disturbing, I'm inquiring! Please sir, weren't you an apprentice once? Us new mages need your wisdom or the art will be lost forever!"
Moments pass and there is the sound of someone unbarring and unlocking the door. It slowly opens and before you stands a very disheveled man, his robes decorated in charms and knick-knacks that jingle as he walks. His wizards' conical hat bent near the middle and pointing off in an odd angle. The man himself is not much better in appearance, his left eye slightly larger than the right giving him a bug-eyed look. "What is it you want? Why are you disturbing me? Who sent you?" he says in rapid succession.

Videkus
2017-03-22, 04:28 PM
Noticing the others from his group Quin nods to them in greeting and fills them in on what he'd learned so far. "Merchant company has a few maps, but from what i saw they're just your general trade routes. A man named Turgen runs the operation. Could make for a comfortable trip back once we clear out the mines," he suggests. Better than walking anyhow.

"Gonna go drop this off before i look around some more," he tells them hefting his pack and starting off towards the tavern.

Syldar
2017-03-22, 05:08 PM
Aldia dismisses the man as a simple, possibly insane beggar and continues to the guild. He opens the door and enters when he arrives.

ybn1197
2017-03-23, 10:38 AM
Aldia dismisses the man as a simple, possibly insane beggar and continues to the guild. He opens the door and enters when he arrives.

You enter the guild building and are a little shocked by what you don't see; the building is more home than business. The guildmaster, an aging man who's hair is turning grey and receding, sits at a table looking over papers when you walk in. He looks up and smiles as you enter. "What can I assist you good sir?"

Syldar
2017-03-23, 10:57 AM
I'm looking for adventurers who've returned from the Barrowmaze. My group plans on exploring the dungeon, and I want to know what dangers are present.

King Tius
2017-03-23, 11:04 AM
Thistle quickly drops into a deep bow, holding it as she speaks, her face pointed at the ground. "Nobody sent me! I sent myself! I've joined up with a group of big folk looking to explore the Barrowmaze. I thought someone of your wisdom and prestige might have some advice to offer a young apprentice, or maybe even have a map of the maze from your own adventuring days?"

ybn1197
2017-03-23, 11:10 AM
I'm looking for adventurers who've returned from the Barrowmaze. My group plans on exploring the dungeon, and I want to know what dangers are present.

The man looks at you with a quizzical eye, "Not sure I can help you there. Take a look at this place." He indicates the village as a whole. "Adventurers who brave the maze and come back to tell about it don't season here. The remainder of the adventurers either never come back or they're buried with the help of the priests of St. Ygg. What I can help you with is getting people who need a little coin and are willing to help you by carrying the load, lighting the way or a little additional muscle if you know what I mean. Some of those folks have been there before, spent the coin they earned and are willing to go back in for some more coin."

ybn1197
2017-03-23, 11:22 AM
Thistle quickly drops into a deep bow, holding it as she speaks, her face pointed at the ground. "Nobody sent me! I sent myself! I've joined up with a group of big folk looking to explore the Barrowmaze. I thought someone of your wisdom and prestige might have some advice to offer a young apprentice, or maybe even have a map of the maze from your own adventuring days?"

"Well you've come a long way for a big fat load of nothing," he practically spits with venom. Then, closing his right eye, he eyes you with that slightly larger left eye. "Who told you I've gone into the barrows?! THEY'RE WRONG I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW!"

Syldar
2017-03-23, 04:51 PM
I'll think about it. For now, farewell. Seems like I'm not getting the information I'm looking for, Aldia thinks to himself as he leaves for the inn.

Gillric
2017-03-23, 05:53 PM
Barton

While the others all seem to stop and do this or that, Barton continues steadily towards the tavern.

Videkus
2017-03-23, 09:23 PM
Quin spares the muttering madman a glance as he approaches the tavern, he'd planned to walk right past him, but in a rare moment of nihilism he stopped and dug out a couple of silvers dropping them at the man's feet. What use would coins be to him if he died in the maze, if he made it out he'd be rich anyway.

Heading inside he sets his pack down on the counter and nods to the barkeep. "How much are your rooms? Or a place near the hearth and a place to store my gear?" he inquires. "Quin Mossgrow," he says reaching out to shake the man's hand in greeting. "You might have seen some of our lot around already. Going to do your town a favour and clear out the Barrowmaze."

Zergrinch
2017-03-23, 10:06 PM
Zayne cockily walks into the Trade Goods store and looks for Billworth Turgen.

ybn1197
2017-03-27, 12:55 PM
Barton

While the others all seem to stop and do this or that, Barton continues steadily towards the tavern.

Quin spares the muttering madman a glance as he approaches the tavern, he'd planned to walk right past him, but in a rare moment of nihilism he stopped and dug out a couple of silvers dropping them at the man's feet. What use would coins be to him if he died in the maze, if he made it out he'd be rich anyway.

Heading inside he sets his pack down on the counter and nods to the barkeep. "How much are your rooms? Or a place near the hearth and a place to store my gear?" he inquires. "Quin Mossgrow," he says reaching out to shake the man's hand in greeting. "You might have seen some of our lot around already. Going to do your town a favour and clear out the Barrowmaze."

Barton walks into the inn and sees a man wearing chain mail and supporting a glaive shaking hands with the barkeep. The barkeep smiles at the man in a jovial manner and says "Best of luck to you in THAT en devour. Many of tried. Some have returned rich, some have returned thankful to be out of there. Most have not returned at all. For a room, a silver and you can sleep wherever you want here." He gestures at the common room. "5 silver will get you half of a double room; 8 will get you a private room."

I'll think about it. For now, farewell. Seems like I'm not getting the information I'm looking for, Aldia thinks to himself as he leaves for the inn.

Aldia arrives at the inn behind Barton, a halfling.

Zayne cockily walks into the Trade Goods store and looks for Billworth Turgen.

Zayne walks into the Trade Goods store and is assailed with shelves full of common goods which would be needed by a small village such as this. Zayne hears humming coming from one aisle of shelves and sees a short, rotund, balding man taking inventory of the goods found there.

ybn1197
2017-03-27, 01:19 PM
Player
Character

King Tius
Thistle Moonshadow (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1136841)
Spire

Syldar
Aldia the Dark Scholar (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1139855)
Inn

Videkus
Inn

Wuliten
Kuori Twice-Orphaned Thuliaga (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1137770)
Inn

Gillric
Barton Longbottom (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1137200)
Inn

Zergrinch
Zayne Gemblossom (http://upload.jetsam.org/documents/Zayne%20Gemblossom%20(Half-Elf%20Sorcerer%201).pdf)
Trade Goods

Syldar
2017-03-27, 07:23 PM
Aldia, of course, reserved a private room in advance.

Zergrinch
2017-03-27, 07:39 PM
Zayne walks into the Trade Goods store and is assailed with shelves full of common goods which would be needed by a small village such as this. Zayne hears humming coming from one aisle of shelves and sees a short, rotund, balding man taking inventory of the goods found there.

Hey pops. I heard something about ya huntin' fer maps to dis Barrowmaze? Wassup wi' that, yo? You doin' a little exploration?

King Tius
2017-03-28, 10:45 AM
"Well you've come a long way for a big fat load of nothing," he practically spits with venom. Then, closing his right eye, he eyes you with that slightly larger left eye. "Who told you I've gone into the barrows?! THEY'RE WRONG I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW!"

"For...Forgive me, Master! I just assumed you had conquered its depths and taken up residence nearby." Thistle shifts gears to try and calm him down. "Is there anything I can do for you, sir? Maybe run errands for you or assist in some of your research? I am in need of a capable master to teach me the arcane ways and you would be an ideal instructor."

Videkus
2017-03-28, 05:53 PM
Thinking about it for a second Quin shrugs to the barkeep "Well if the statistics are against us i might as well make my last night a comfortable one!" Quin says digging into his purse and sliding a gold coin across the counter. "I'll have a drink as well. The coldest you have."

Turning at the sound of the footsteps behind him he nods to Barton and Aldia. "What news? The locals don't seem very confident that we have much of a chance, 'Spend your coin now before it fills some monsters belly' eh barkeep?" Quin jokes with the man fetching his drink.

"But truthfully, we do need to know what we're getting ourselves into. The place has remained unexplored for long enough for word of it to travel far and wide, there must be a reason for that and walking in blind will likely see us meeting the same fate as those that have gone before."

Syldar
2017-03-28, 09:21 PM
I tried asking. The only info I got was that any adventurers who returned left the town, and looking at this place, I don't blame them. We may get some info and help from the hirelings at the guildhall, but I doubt they'll aid us for free.

ybn1197
2017-03-29, 01:36 PM
Player
Character

King Tius
Spire

Syldar
Inn

Videkus
Inn

Wuliten
Kuori Twice-Orphaned Thuliaga (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1137770)
Inn

Gillric
Inn

Zergrinch
Zayne Gemblossom (http://upload.jetsam.org/documents/Zayne%20Gemblossom%20(Half-Elf%20Sorcerer%201).pdf)
Trade Goods

Hey pops. I heard something about ya huntin' fer maps to dis Barrowmaze? Wassup wi' that, yo? You doin' a little exploration?

"Gracious me, exploration? No. I am in the market to purchase them yes but only in order to sell them to others who are interested in plumbing the depths."

"For...Forgive me, Master! I just assumed you had conquered its depths and taken up residence nearby." Thistle shifts gears to try and calm him down. "Is there anything I can do for you, sir? Maybe run errands for you or assist in some of your research? I am in need of a capable master to teach me the arcane ways and you would be an ideal instructor."

"Someone to teach you in the arcane ways, humph? You assume that you are able to master the arcane ways is it? A mighty assumption or a prideful conceit?! Prove to me your worth by returning an item of magic from the maze and we can discuss learning from there." With that the man closes and bars the door.

King Tius
2017-03-30, 09:10 AM
Thistle blinks a few times in surprise at having the door slammed in her face, sighs, and turns on her heel to head back to the inn.

Zergrinch
2017-03-30, 09:50 AM
"Gracious me, exploration? No. I am in the market to purchase them yes but only in order to sell them to others who are interested in plumbing the depths."

Oh okay. You be having one of them maps to sell, pops?

Regardless of the outcome, Zayne leaves the store and goes to the inn to rest. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

ybn1197
2017-03-30, 10:05 AM
Player
Character

King Tius
Inn

Syldar
Inn

Videkus
Inn

Wuliten
Inn

Gillric
Inn

Zergrinch
Inn

Thistle blinks a few times in surprise at having the door slammed in her face, sighs, and turns on her heel to head back to the inn.

Oh okay. You be having one of them maps to sell, pops?

Regardless of the outcome, Zayne leaves the store and goes to the inn to rest. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

"I'm sorry to say I do not at this time. My maps are usually sold by the middle of fall when the moor starts to become unpassable. With the moors beginning to dry this is the beginning of when adventurers such as yourself are able to cross in to the maze. Should you make such a map of your travels I will gladly pay you for a copy."

You have all returned to the Inn and procured rooms for the night. Are there any further actions? Otherwise I will pick things up with the following morning.

Syldar
2017-03-30, 10:55 AM
Aldia orders a glass of fine elven wine before retiring to his room.

Videkus
2017-03-30, 12:54 PM
Before Quin retires to his room for the night he sits with the others and enjoys a couple more mugs of beer, enough to get him no more than tipsy. Once in his room, he begins his nightly ritual of cleaning his kit. It wouldn't do to let rust take hold of his armor or weapons in this damp place.

Do we know where the barrowmaze actually is? Or how to get there?

ybn1197
2017-03-30, 01:10 PM
Do we know where the barrowmaze actually is? Or how to get there?

No one has actively inquired about where the barrowmaze is. You have looked for maps of the maze but not maps or directions to get there. There is still plenty of time left in the day to step back and pursue that.

Syldar
2017-03-30, 03:50 PM
Correction: Aldia is ABOUT to retire to his room. Then he stops. We never asked where the maze was, did we? He puts his hand to his face, exasperated that the entire party, including him, forgot that detail. He then walks over to (insert name of place that sells maps) to... well, guess.

King Tius
2017-03-31, 08:52 AM
Thistle stomps into the inn and flops down on a comfy chair. "Crotchety old coot. I got nothin'"she says out loud to nobody in particular. She'll mingle in the common room a bit until her mood improves, then head to bed.

ybn1197
2017-04-03, 12:18 PM
Correction: Aldia is ABOUT to retire to his room. Then he stops. We never asked where the maze was, did we? He puts his hand to his face, exasperated that the entire party, including him, forgot that detail. He then walks over to (insert name of place that sells maps) to... well, guess.

There is a trade goods store, a merchant trade stop and a guild hall for hired hands.

Syldar
2017-04-03, 07:12 PM
Merchant. Most likely to have a map.

ybn1197
2017-04-04, 01:00 PM
Aldia steps into the building marked by a sign with a stack of coins above the door. A man wearing studded leather armor appears to be putting things in order before getting ready to close up. He hears you walk in and turns, grabbing a long spear from it resting place against the wall. He holds the spear before him in a non-threatening manner. "Ello. Bout to lock up. Anything I can help ya with?"

Syldar
2017-04-04, 06:18 PM
I need a map to the barrowmaze. My companions and I plan on entering it.

ybn1197
2017-04-06, 01:47 PM
The man looks around the office a moment before focusing on Aldia. "This is a merchant station. We have maps of the area but nothing along those lines. I've heard of adventurers like you selling maps to the trade store but typically that happens near summer. I doubt they'll have any at the moment. Your best choice would be to hire a guide at the mercenary guild."

Syldar
2017-04-06, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the information. Aldia leaves the shop and heads to the guildhall. Again. When he enters, he walks up to the guild master or whoever he is. It seems we do need someone. A guide, to be exact. How much is it to hire one?

ybn1197
2017-04-10, 01:04 PM
Thank you for the information. Aldia leaves the shop and heads to the guildhall. Again. When he enters, he walks up to the guild master or whoever he is. It seems we do need someone. A guide, to be exact. How much is it to hire one?

The man behind the counter smiles and gestures for you to come closer. "A guide, of course. I know of a couple of young men who are willing to guide you out to the Barrowmaze. Now, be mindful, guides will not enter any of the barrows and they are not guaranteed to wait for you either. Most will stay in the area till an hour or so before the sun starts going down. Once the sun begins to dip, no one wants to still be out there. Now as for price, a guide is 5 silver per day, upfront. You pay me so, should something happen to them, I can see their family gets the money."

Syldar
2017-04-10, 09:09 PM
Excellent, Aldia says as he hands the man some gold. Now could you bring them to me, or vice versa? Assuming that he knows how many days it'll take.

Zergrinch
2017-04-10, 09:49 PM
Zayne retires to the inn and proceeds to sleep for hours on end. Tomorrow is going to be a long day!

ybn1197
2017-04-12, 12:54 PM
Excellent, Aldia says as he hands the man some gold. Now could you bring them to me, or vice versa? Assuming that he knows how many days it'll take.

"When do you need him? I'm sure I could get one of the regulars for tomorrow morning. But be mindful. Its a 4 hour hike to the barrows one way and very un-advised to stay after dark. You should be able to leave before daybreak. That will give you a good 10 hours on the moor if you head back before sun down."

Syldar
2017-04-12, 04:18 PM
We'll need him as early as possible tomorrow morning. The more time we have, the better.

Videkus
2017-04-12, 05:19 PM

Instead of heading straight up to sleep after his drink, a slightly tipsy Quin wanders over to the bartender and plonks himself down at a stool next to the bar. "Hey friend, you must hear all sorts of tales in your line of work. What can you tell me about what's out at the Barrowmaze?" he asks.

"What have people seen and what horrors have they escaped?"

ybn1197
2017-04-14, 09:43 AM
We'll need him as early as possible tomorrow morning. The more time we have, the better.

"I'll see that he is there."

Instead of heading straight up to sleep after his drink, a slightly tipsy Quin wanders over to the bartender and plonks himself down at a stool next to the bar. "Hey friend, you must hear all sorts of tales in your line of work. What can you tell me about what's out at the Barrowmaze?" he asks.

"What have people seen and what horrors have they escaped?"

The man puts the tankard he was cleaning down. My advice, don't go. But since you are so fixed on going out there, here is the advice I can give you from what I have heard told. Leave here before sun rise. It will get you the most daylight out there. You don't want to be near the barrows after sunset. The whole area is a mass graveyard. You will run into the walking dead. Its not a question of if, you can count on it. You will also run into all manner of creature that doesn't mind sharing their space with the living dead, like reptiles. Large reptiles. And spiders. He shivers as he manages this. Gods, I hate spiders. And I have heard a fair amount of traps. I've heard different groups mention the same traps at different times. What I wonder is what resets those traps?

Syldar
2017-04-14, 06:34 PM
My thanks. Aldia returns to the inn, and tells the others the news when he arrives.

Videkus
2017-04-14, 09:15 PM

Scratching his chin, Quin leans back with a groan. "So there's either some crazed necromancer or a clan of lizardfolk living out there *in* the barrow. Or maybe a crazed lizardfolk necromancer," he reconsiders. "And on top of that a bunch of over-sized beasties looking for their next meal. I can see why no one's had much luck thus far," he says getting up and pushing his stool back against the bar.

"Ah well, there's no helping it i guess. You have to do, what you have to do." He wasn't going to make a name for himself tackling the easy jobs. "We'll go get the lay of the place tomorrow then plan a proper expedition. Thanks for sharing," he says giving the bartender a nod before heading back to his room for sleep.

And i think that wraps up everything and we're ready for the next day.

Syldar
2017-04-15, 10:00 AM
Aldia gives Quin a quick glare when he says "crazed necromancer."

ybn1197
2017-04-26, 12:32 PM
The next morning arrives quickly with anticipation. You are all greeted by the barkeep as you walk into the main room, the smell of breakfast tantalizing as it whaffs in from the kitchen. You quickly eat breakfast, eager to be on your way to the fields where the barrow(s) is/are located. Leaving the inn, you walk in to the village square, the area lit very dimly by the setting moon. A man stands in the square next to the well, he is dressed for a hike and you rightly assume him to be your guide. He introduces himself as Kaulder and produces a torch from his sack. With a look at you all he simply turns and heads out of the village using heading in a mostly southerly route. Once you leave the village and enter the woods, he pauses to produce some flint to light the torch as the moon provides little light in the trees and the sun has not risen quite yet.

You travel for close to 4 hours in a leisurely southern route with Kaulder in the lead. He takes you through the wooded areas that border the village on the south before coming to the marsh where the barrows are know to be located. The trip through the marsh takes the most of the 4 hours but by the time the sun has risen sufficiently you come to the moors where the barrows are found. The firld before you is partially marshy, most of the barrows are on level solid ground but a few of the barrows stick out of the marshes surrounding the field.

From where you stand, there is a barrow directly to your left, about 100 feet which was hidden by the marsh till you got close enough. To the right, about 200 feet away are a couple of more barrows. As you look about, the field is filled with them. How many you can not tell do to the fog that fills the area.

Actions?

Syldar
2017-04-26, 03:19 PM
Aldia finishes the map in his notebook. He turns to the guide. Is there a particular barrow that we need to enter?

Videkus
2017-04-26, 05:16 PM

Fed and watered, with his armor freshly cleaned, Quin starts the day excited to finally begin earning a name for himself. Since he'd left the army he hadn't accomplished anything of note and he'd been eager to remedy that ever since they first heard of the Barrowmaze out here. The march itself had been tiring, but hot food and a nice bed had done much to renew him. Today will be a good day, he thinks as they leave to meet their guide.

The morning walk had burned off any grogginess he felt from the early start and when Kaulder eventually stopped Quin was left confused. "Well, which one is the Barrowmaze?" he demands fearing that he'd misunderstood what they were marching toward.

Zergrinch
2017-04-26, 06:15 PM
"Ehhh​, let's just pick one and go in!" says the very cocky teenaged half elf Sorcerer.

And indeed, Zayne Gemblossom confidently strides into the nearest Barrow he sees.

King Tius
2017-04-26, 09:46 PM
Thistle sees Zayne take off and shouts for him to stop.

"Hey, wait a minute! Let me at least see if I can detect anything weird before we go barreling in!"

Thistle will cast Detect Magic as a ritual and start scanning the nearest barrow.

Zergrinch
2017-04-26, 11:44 PM
Zayne impatiently waits for the overly cautious Thistle to finish her ritual, twiddling his thumbs the entire ten minutes it takes.

Videkus
2017-04-27, 01:05 AM

"Aye," Quin agrees with Thistle. "Best not run off by yourself. If what the barkeep said is true, we're probably being watched right now," he says eyes scanning the fog as he nervously readjusts his grip on the haft of his polearm. "Lizardfolk, apparently they set traps about. Not to mention the undead that haunt the place," he explains having jumped to that conclusion regardless of the barkeeper never having mentioned lizardfolk. "Aye, best stick together."

"Well boy?" he demands turning back to their guide as if it was his fault. "What is it? Is this the maze? Are we to conquer a maze of barrows or is there a barrow which contains a maze? I had thought the latter, but on seeing this before me i now have my doubts."

ybn1197
2017-04-28, 08:42 AM
Thistle sees Zayne take off and shouts for him to stop.

"Hey, wait a minute! Let me at least see if I can detect anything weird before we go barreling in!"

Thistle will cast Detect Magic as a ritual and start scanning the nearest barrow.

At the end of her ritual, Thistle gets the faint impression that there is magic within the barrow.

Kaulder shrugs his shoulders. "I'm not sure. I have heard from plenty of sources that there are a couple of entrances into the 'maze. As to which barrow is the entrance, I can't tell you. The groups I have come with were content to explore the barrows they found. What I do know is the one used the most is closer to the south side of the field." He seems to be focusing his gaze to the southern part of the barrow field. Past a large number of other barrows.

Zergrinch
2017-04-28, 10:40 AM
"Can we go in now?" Zayne asks impatiently with a pouty expression on his face and both hands on his hips.

Syldar
2017-04-28, 12:32 PM
If there's magic in this barrow, we may as well start there, Aldia says as he looks towards the barrow Thistle was examining.

Videkus
2017-04-28, 06:22 PM

Quin grunts and seems appeased by their guides answer. There was a maze, it wasn't just finding their way through this mound filled fog laden area, there was an actual maze somewhere, buried beneath them was his guess. "Yep, might as well start with that one if there's magic involved," he agrees nodding to Zayne that he was free to run off a bit. "Just be careful, magic might mean relics, or it might mean traps," he warns.

"You have somewhere safe to hole up nearby? We should be back before nightfall," he asks Kaulder not wanting to leave him behind if he didn't. The barkeep had said large animals made this their hunting ground too.

ybn1197
2017-05-02, 12:22 PM
Kaulder nods his head and moves back into the marshy treeline. Before long, you hear him scurrying up the trunk of a tree till he is in the lower branches and making himself comfortable.

You slowly approach the mound before you, your boots starting to stick in the marshy ground. The mound has no opening on the side facing your approach so you work your way around in a southernly direction where you find a stone door sealing the mound.

Actions?

Zergrinch
2017-05-02, 12:34 PM
Zayne conjures up a spectral hand (cast Mage Hand cantrip) and tries to open the door from a safe distance!

ybn1197
2017-05-02, 01:14 PM
It appears the the door is well sealed or too heavy as the Mage Hand is unable to budge it from its position.

Syldar
2017-05-02, 02:18 PM
Quin? You're the strongest one here, you should open it. Everyone else ready a ranged weapon or spell.

Videkus
2017-05-02, 03:07 PM

"That's solid stone lad, it might be even too much for me to move by myself," Quin says moving past Zayne and approaching the door. Resting his glaive against the side of the barrow he brushes off his gloves and examines the door for a moment. He felt reasonably confident that the door wasn't trapped, any animal living in the area would have no doubt set any such things off long ago, no he was fairly certain that if there were any traps, they'd be on the other side of the door.

(assuming there is no handle)
Quin places his hands against the stone and does his best to set his feet in the soggy soil at his feet before leaning his weight against the stone and pushing with his whole body.

Trying to push open the door.
Strength: [roll0]

ybn1197
2017-05-03, 01:10 PM
Even with Quinn's great effort, the stone does not appear to budge. It looks as though the best method at this point would be to break down the door with a hammer or something similar.

Gillric
2017-05-03, 05:45 PM
Barton

It appears as though simple force is not the answer to opening this door. Did anyone see anything that may have concealed a mechanism to release the door? Barton proceeds to look around for anything that may conceal a lever off other mechanism.

perception: 1d20+3
Investigation [roll0]

Zergrinch
2017-05-03, 08:52 PM
Zayne waves his hands, and a crackle of magic pours out from the budding Sorcerer. The boulder is assaulted with blasts of cold. Surely, surely, this will make it easier to destroy it!

Cast Frostbite continuously on the boulder in the hopes of lowering its temperature enough to make it brittle.

King Tius
2017-05-03, 09:31 PM
Thistle nods enthusiastically at Zayne. "I like where your head is at!" She whispers a quick word and shoots a thin beam of ice out of her finger, aimed at the stone. She continues to fire the beam again and again, adding her frost to Zayne's.

Casting Ray of Frost over and over!

Syldar
2017-05-03, 09:42 PM
I may as well help. Quin, you'll be doing the breaking, of course. As he says this, he taps Quin with a Guidance spell. He then starts examining the stone, seeing if there's a mechanism that would make all this unnecessary.
[roll0]

Zergrinch
2017-05-03, 10:08 PM
Seeing Thistle start to add her spell to his, Zayne gets a bright idea.

Freezing something makes it brittle and more likely to crack. But, if you heat it up and then immediately cool it down, and then continuously repeat the procedure, perhaps the antipodean attack would cause the boulder to crack faster than mundane weaponry!

And so, the sorcerer slightly alters his spellcasting. Right after Thistle sends a ray of frost into the target rock, Zayne immediately follows up with a searing bolt of fire!

Continually cast Firebolt at the rock, timed in between Thistle's own spellcasting.

Videkus
2017-05-04, 05:50 AM

"Appreciate the spell Aldia," Quin says standing well back, after retrieving his weapon, from the fire and ice storm of magic going on at the barrow entrance. "But i think it might be prudent to let those two handle it," he continues obviously not wanting to get in the middle of all that magic. Instead he turns around and faces away from the barrow, scanning the fog for any movement. We're not exactly being discreet.

Making sure nothing is sneaking up on us.
Perception: [roll0]

ybn1197
2017-05-17, 08:48 AM
The magic fury assaulting the stone begins to wear it down as cracks form along the edges. But the time involved is intensive and the noise is a cacophony of fury. Apparently this has drawn the attention of a single zombie whom Quin spies moving their way in a slow gait.

Syldar
2017-05-17, 10:20 AM
Aldia fixes his gaze on the walking corpse, waiting for it to approach...
Casting Toll the Dead as soon as it's in range.

Videkus
2017-05-18, 04:17 PM

"Speed it up if you can, we're attracting company," Quin lets the casters know before he moves a few steps toward the zombie and levels his glaive at it. His hand creeps to one of the axes at his side but he discards the thought, he'd never been very good at throwing them. He wouldn't charge it, no his footing was at least somewhat sure here, tripping in soft ground during a charge was one way to cut a career short and he planned to have a long and prosperous one.

Quin will head a few steps ahead of the group and prepare for the zombie.

Should it come into range of his glaive, he'll attack.

(Pointy End)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] slashing damage
Possible Crit: [roll2]

(Blunt End)
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] bludgeoning damage
Possible Crit: [roll5]

Zergrinch
2017-05-18, 09:25 PM
The antipodean assault was quite fun. Zayne never had the chance to really play around with another spellcaster. It won't be long now before the boulder splits!

"Need any help over there?" he yells out upon seeing the others ready themselves for combat.

King Tius
2017-05-19, 08:58 AM
Thistle looks at the zombie with a bit of longing, but keeps her focus on the door.

"If we blast through this thing fast enough, maybe there will still be some zombies to fry!"

ybn1197
2017-05-23, 12:03 PM
Aldia chants his spell and the zombie buckles at the knees before righting itself and continuing its trudging gait forward.

Quin takes a few steps ahead of the group and strikes out at the zombie with his mighty glaive, piercing it through the chest. Withdrawing the pole arm, the zombie buckles at the knees again, this time falling forward and remaining unmoving.

Syldar
2017-05-23, 12:52 PM
Hm. Not even in the maze, and we're already finding undead. He looks over at the mages and their explosions. How close are we to breaking this thing? he says, just loud enough to hear.

Zergrinch
2017-05-23, 12:55 PM
Zayne gives a massive shrug. He would dearly love for the boulder to break this instant, but the object was proving to be rather resilient... And obstreperous.

Syldar
2017-05-23, 01:32 PM
I don't think that word applies to the rock.

Videkus
2017-05-23, 02:18 PM

Quins pride grew a little at how easy he'd dispatched the zombie, but he didn't let himself celebrate just yet, this was the first time he'd personally faced undead but in every tale he'd ever heard there was never just ONE zombie. Taking a step back, he prepares to swing the blade of his polearm down onto the zombie's neck, severing the head from the body, before moving back to the barrow.

"This doesn't seem to be working very quickly, perhaps we should focus on scouting the layout of this place today and then return tomorrow with tools better suited to removing stubborn rock?" he suggests during one of the lulls of magic.

ybn1197
2017-05-23, 03:43 PM
As Quin steps forward, sword raised to level the decapitating blow, the zombie jerks back up glaring at the swordsman as if in defiance.

Everyone give me a WIS save.

Videkus
2017-05-23, 04:01 PM

"What the?!" Quin's eyes go wide as his opponent seems to still be alive, dead, moving.

Wisdom Save: [roll0]

Ybn, feel free to roll any reactionary rolls like this for me in the future if you like.

Syldar
2017-05-23, 05:25 PM
[roll0]
Aldia quickly looks away when he sees glowing eyes.

Gillric
2017-05-23, 06:42 PM
Barton

It just had to be undead Barton thinks to himself.

[roll0]

Zergrinch
2017-05-25, 10:54 AM
While he is primarily busy targeting the boulder with his flaming cantrip, Zayne has been keeping an eye on the zombie.

Oh look, it just stood right up. How peculiar! In fact, it boggles his mind!

Wisdom Save: [roll0]

King Tius
2017-05-26, 02:01 PM
Thistle

The young halfing mage is so focused on her task, she is only half paying attention to what's happening with the zombie. She happens to glance over at just the wrong time...

[roll0] = Actually a 12 as per this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22034228&postcount=95)

ybn1197
2017-06-07, 01:25 PM
The sight of the zombie rising from the dead yet again is more than enough for Barton and Zayne who dash away from the creature's presence. Though unnerved, Thistle, Quinn, and Aldia hold their ground.

Actions?

Syldar
2017-06-07, 02:44 PM
Aldia waves his staff, and the sound of an ominous bell fills the air...
Toll the dead. [roll0] for its will save.
[roll1] for damage.

King Tius
2017-06-07, 02:51 PM
Feeling the wave of fear wash over her, Thistle realizes that this is a bigger threat than she first thought. She swivels on her foot and whips her hand out towards the zombie, sending a barrage of Magic Missiles towards it. She will then backpedal to get as far away from it as possible.

[roll0]

Videkus
2017-06-07, 06:24 PM

"Holy water," Quin yells over his shoulder as he sets his feet and twirls his glaive around his arms using it's own weight and the momentum of the spinning to attack with both ends. They'd need to pick up some holy water once they were back in town, hopefully until then chopping the zombie into small pieces would also work.

Quick Stats
AC: 17 | HP: 12/12 | PP: 13

Sharp End
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] slashing damage
If Crit: [roll2]

Blunt End
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] bludgeoning damage
If Crit: [roll5]

Zergrinch
2017-06-08, 04:19 AM
For some reason, seeing the zombie reanimate made Zayne jump out of his skin, and run like a little baby, only to catch himself after it's too late to hide his fear.

How mortifying! Here he was, trying to act all grown up, only to run at the very first hint of a simple little undead?

This shall not stand!

"Not cool, man! Not cool!" the half-elf sorcerer yells as he flings a bolt of fire at the thing.

Fire Bolt. [roll0]. On hit, [roll1] fire damage, plus [roll2] on a crit.

ybn1197
2017-06-08, 11:38 AM
"Not cool, man! Not cool!" the half-elf sorcerer yells as he flings a bolt of fire at the thing.

Fire Bolt. [roll0]. On hit, [roll1] fire damage, plus [roll2] on a crit.

Need a second attack roll. You are Frightened (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Conditions#toc_5) and therefore at a disadvantage.

Zergrinch
2017-06-08, 12:39 PM
A wave of fear suffuses the half elf, and he involuntarily takes several steps backwards. His rational mind screams at him to man up and stop being such a baby, but his body was not responding to anything his brain said.

Attempting to push down his fear, the half elf Sorcerer points an increasingly shaking hand towards the undying zombie.

Y-y-you think y-you're hot stuff? T-t-tak-c-ch-chew n this!

As if responding to his distress, a thin sheen of ice abruptly starts to coat the creature!

Cast Frostbite. Zombie must make a DC14 Constitution saving throw. Failure means it takes [roll0] cold damage, and its next weapon attack is made at disadvantage.

ybn1197
2017-06-09, 08:55 AM
With Aldia's spell, Thistle's magic missiles, Quinn's physical attack, and Zayne's cold spell assailing the creature, it once again buckles at the knees and drops to the ground unmoving.

Syldar
2017-06-09, 09:02 AM
Quinn? Cut its head off. That should keep it down.

Zergrinch
2017-06-09, 09:26 AM
Zayne continues to blast the unmoving monster with frostbite! Fool him once, shame on you. Fool him twice, shame on him!

Videkus
2017-06-09, 06:29 PM

Not needing to be told twice, Quin shoulders his glaive on his left shoulder and pulls out one of his hand axes with his right as he hurriedly stepped closer to their downed foe and tried to decapitate it before it could rise again. He only hoped that without a head it would finally stay dead.

ybn1197
2017-06-12, 07:27 AM
Quinn lops the head off of the zombie. The noise of combat does not seem to have brought anymore undo attention to the group.

Actions?

Syldar
2017-06-12, 09:42 AM
Aldia glances at Zayne and Thistle. You two. Keep blasting that rock. Hopefully by the time the next thing shambles around, we'll have shattered it.

Zergrinch
2017-06-12, 10:19 AM
"Yes, gramps," the half-elf grins to the white-haired elf, as he continues freezing the boulder. Any time now!

King Tius
2017-06-14, 10:04 AM
Thistle giggles at Zayne's ribbing despite herself. She shakes her head and puts a serious face back on before returning to her blasting.