PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Starting OotA - Need help picking race/class

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 09:57 AM
Our DM will be starting a new campaign, OotA. We are a team of four players, possibly five, which is composed of Monk, Wizard, Barbarian, Myself, and possibly a Ranger (the guy is not set on his class yet, not even sure if he'll play). I'm wondering if those who has played OotA can suggest what'd be a better pick for my character.

I'm thinking between Underdark Druid, Light or Life Cleric, Bard, or Beast Conclave Revised Ranger. I know about the OotA backgrounds that we can pick. I'm sure one of us will take it to help with travelling and foraging.

Druid, Cleric and Bard are great support. Ranger has good utility with favored terrain/foraging/survival, etc. For the Ranger I'm thinking maybe a halfing with the Steeder (spider) as mount if I go Beast Conclave. On a mount is it better to go range or melee? I can't see what other beast companion a Ranger could find in the UD.

What are your suggestion? There's always the other classes like Sorcerer, Paladin, etc that may fit better. Not interested in Warlock since it's what I played last campaign.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Unoriginal
2017-03-14, 10:00 AM
What kind of characters (or character concepts) do you like?

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 10:41 AM
What kind of characters (or character concepts) do you like?

I prefer caster for the utility and multi-functionality they have.
I like stealth.
Not fond of heavy armored character (full plate) type character.
I prefer agility and speed over strength or brute force.

I don't excluded other classes or combo either. Something like an Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger Wizard could be cool too. Paladin/Bard multiclass. But not with heavy armor.

Unoriginal
2017-03-14, 10:48 AM
Sounds to me like you'd enjoy a character who's multiclassed Rogue/Cleric of Craft from the UA.

Now the question is: what kind of race and backgrounds do you like?

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 11:05 AM
Sounds to me like you'd enjoy a character who's multiclassed Rogue/Cleric of Craft from the UA.

Now the question is: what kind of race and backgrounds do you like?

Forge domain. That could be cool but it's not a domain I personally enjoy flavor wise. However, it could fit the campaign well played with a Duegar. Gonna look into it a bit more.

I usually play human, elf or half elf. Played a Halfling once. Background. I'm open to anything. That's my problem I love the character creation process and I usually end up creating multiple characters and then pick one that fit the group better. I don't care to have first pick because I find every class interesting.

Hairfish
2017-03-14, 11:07 AM
Druid, particularly Moon Druid, can trivialize some of the challenge of the early levels of the campaign, if that's your thing.

Anderlith
2017-03-14, 11:16 AM
You could take the new Mystic rules for a spin

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 11:25 AM
You could take the new Mystic rules for a spin

I don't think my DM would allow it.

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 11:26 AM
Anyone played a Halfling Ranger on a mount? Fun? Mechanically does it work well? Did you use range or melee weapon?

Anderlith
2017-03-14, 11:47 AM
I don't think my DM would allow it.

Any UA? Or just mystic?

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 12:05 PM
Any UA? Or just mystic?

No UA allowed except for Revised Ranger. So no Forge domain for now.

Anderlith
2017-03-14, 12:25 PM
I would recommend Paladin...

But you want a dex, so make a Valor bard, because hell needs a soundtrack

RumoCrytuf
2017-03-14, 12:37 PM
I would recommend Paladin...

But you want a dex, so make a Valor bard, because hell needs a soundtrack

I guess Behemoth and Ghost will be playing? :P

Sigreid
2017-03-14, 12:44 PM
GOO warlock for solid abilities that do not rely on resources you often may not have, and creepy underdark reasons. In general though, it'll be good if one or two members of your party can maintain full or near full effectiveness without depleting the party's expendable resources.

2D8HP
2017-03-14, 12:55 PM
Having just started playing a Rogue in OotA (which is still a good option), I'd say that the best class to start as is monk, because reasons.

You start out as unarmed

BladedWizard
2017-03-14, 01:07 PM
Having just started playing a Rogue in OotA (which is still a good option), I'd say that the best class to start as is monk, because reasons.

You start out as unarmed

ahahahah. Indeed. Too bad there's one already. But cantrips can always do the trick.

MintyNinja
2017-03-14, 01:14 PM
As someone who's run OotA, and played it, a cleric is nearly a literal godsend. It gives your GM an angle to dangle threads for, and your naturally divine abilities will be more than helpful the more you play. Whatever flavor or domain, a cleric is a good choice.

Unoriginal
2017-03-14, 01:21 PM
ahahahah. Indeed. Too bad there's one already. But cantrips can always do the trick.

You need a focus for that

Sigreid
2017-03-14, 01:38 PM
You need a focus for that

Several cantrips are just V,S.