PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Please help me re-building an old cleric character

Silfazaris
2017-03-14, 10:44 AM
Good afternoon, fellas. 7 years ago I played as a Cleric with 1 level of the Fighter variant with sneak attack. A lot of supplements were allowed and she had 2 flaws, leading to an army of powerful feats: Law Devotion, Sneak Attack of Opportunity, another feat from Dragon Magazine that allowed me to stack cleric and rogue leves for purposes of sneak attack dices and turning attempts. She also had the feat that allowed her to make two attacks of opportunity at a single opportunity from Dragon Magazine too and another that if the enemy moved 5ft it would provoke an opportunity. She used Combat Expertise + Law Devotion + some spells that gave her bonuses to attack rolls to reach extremely high AC with high damage.
She had the Shadowbane Stalker prestige class. The game stopped at 11th-level after 2 years.
Rules aside, I made a 7-pages background for her and she's the character I most love in 20 years of RPG. She was awesome either in combat and in roleplaying. She was a tiefling cleric of a god of justice (homemade scenario).
Oh, and she used the tiefling variant from Forgotten Realms too, no level adjustment.

Now the same DM has made a new game. He still has that character's background kept on his closet, so after dozens of audios on whatsapp I convinced him to let me play with the same character again, same background, but starting a new story again and using a different system for the character sheet. The problem is the stuff allowed now is very restricted:

- Only the core books and Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane.
No Unearthed Arcana, no Dragon Magazine, no Tiefling without level adjustment variant, no Complete Champion allowed, no flaws.

- Ability distribution is: 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11

I'm trying to make a decent character, and I really want to follow what she was, a cleric of a god of justice with bluff, disguise, sense motive and move silently. With high AC and sneak attack.

It makes no sense to play with a different race other than tiefling, that's the main reason of her background, but losing a level is hurting me. I made this way:

Cleric 2/Rogue 1

Str 16 Dex 16 Con 14 Wis 15 Cha 9 (she had some social problems and low charisma is a point I don't want to change)

AC 21 (+1 breastplate, +1 buckler, +3 dex)

Bluff +3, Concentration +8, Disguise +3, Gather Information +3, Hide +7, Move Silently +7, Knowledge (the planes) +4, Knowledge (Religion) +8, Search +6, Sense Motive +6

Feats: Improved Buckler Defense, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword) from War Domain...for a reason he allows exotic weapon proficiency and focus to be gained through War Domain and Combat Expertise.

The intent of the character is to have very high AC through Combat Experitse while buffing herself with spells to still be able to hit enemies. She uses the Bastard sword with two hands for more damage. And I really would like to get Shadowbane Stalker PRC.

The problem is that I feel the character is very weak compared to the human Barbarian 2/Fighter 2 guy, to the dwarf Fighter 4 and to the human Cleric 3/Wizard 1.

Do you guys have any suggestions to make this character still decent? I thought about making her pure cleric to get Church Inquisitor PRC, but it would change the character's design a lot without roguish skills. I know she has a lot of charisma skills with Charisma 9 but Gather Information is needed for Shadowbane Stalker, and bluff is for flavour.
This character has the same hp as the first character I made, an elf wizard 4 (because of frog familiar). And also she has only +6 to attack (+1 bab, +3 str, +1 focus, +1 mw) while the fighters have +9.

What could I do?

Thanks in advance for your time!