PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder AC planning for melee Paladin

Firechanter
2017-03-14, 11:25 AM
I'm in my first Pathfinder game that actually has a good chance of going all the way through an Adventure Path - previous games always collapsed around level 5 - so I'm not too proficient with any tricks there might be for optimizing your equipment.

Coming from 3.5, my usual approach is to allocate about 25% of my WBL to AC. However, some tricks that work in 3.5 no longer do so in PF, and anyway this character concept is totally different from what I'm used to playing, so I'm kinda starting from scratch here.
My primary job in the group will be Damage Dealer, secondary Tank. I'd planned to be a Tank first and foremost, but as it pans out someone else wants to be Main Tank. I still want to stick to Melee and not respec for Ranged.
So my main strategy is to simply dish out so much damage the enemy can't afford to ignore me, soak up the damage and keep myself healed with Lay on Hands. (I am, of course, a Fey Foundling so I have a Sandvich about twice the size of my regular HP.) Fighting with a two-handed weapon of course.

The ideal upgrade path for AC (not that it's guaranteed we can always have the items we want) seems to be:

1. Full Plate /w Enhancement +1 (2,5k)
2. Natural +1 (2k)
3. Deflection +1 (2k)
4. Jingasa (un-nerfed) Luck +2 (Fate's Favoured) (5k)
5. Enhancement +2 (3k)
6. Enhancement +3 (5k)
7. Dusty Rose Prism +1 (5k)

Normally I'd think about an Animated Shield between #5 and 6, but seeing this has been nerfed so hard in PF, I'd rather give it a pass.

Up to this point, the AC upgrades so far have been relatively cheap. Further improvements however start to get pretty pricey. The aforementioned items cost about 25K, so if I want to stick to my default strategy of 25% investment, this means I will have a mere AC 28 at level 12. Now that I look at it, it seems pretty shabby for that level. On the other hand, at level 12 I will have a personal healing reserve pool (i.e. Lay on Hands) of a whopping 385HP, so maybe I just shouldn't even care. Having never played so high in PF, I simply don't know.

And this is even planning with the unnerfed Jingasa of the Fortunate Soldier and the Fate's Favoured synergy. Otherwise I'd have to spend more gold and for even less AC. :smallconfused:

Anyway! What I've been meaning to ask:
- is there any _equipment_ that I've missed that gives cheap AC boosts?
- is it generally necessary to simply spend mooooore on AC in PF?
- with my LoH pool, should I even care? :smallbiggrin

Thanks in advance for your insight. :)

Geddy2112
2017-03-14, 12:35 PM
28AC at level 12 is not bad at all. Most things with multiple attacks will hit you on the first swing, but you should stave off secondary natural attacks and iterative attacks from full rounders. Your touch AC is still garbage and lots of things target that. Fortunately your saves are very good, which matters more at this point. Remember your smite will add your charisma to AC, which should be around +5 at level 12.

For allocating your WBL, you are best off putting more into offense and killing something before it can hit you. Defense is good too, but it is better to boost your 2 handed power attacking face smashing weapon over armor.

The thing is, you want to be hit some of the time. Paladins can take a beating far more than any class thanks to LoH swift action. You have basically 3x your actual HP from LoH as a swift not eating your turn. If the enemy can't hit you at all they will ignore you and go for somebody else.

Eventually, AC becomes a losing battle for most builds. You need miss chances and magical warding(which is also bypassed by a lot) at the higher levels when it is caster tag.

Firechanter
2017-03-14, 04:36 PM
Okay, that's good to hear -- so fo the most part it's pretty much still the same paradigm as in 3.5.
I assumes as much, but was a bit unsure because some basic web research turned up several threads on other forums where it was suggested that a "Tank" should put 50-75% of WBL into AC. So i thought I'd ask at a place where I trust people to know what they're talking about. ;)

Yep, the idea is that I want to draw quite a bit of fire -- as long as it's not enough to one-round me. My Con is only rather average (12) so my max HP are not that good. :smalleek: So if nothing else, my AC should deny most iteratives and at least make it harder to confirm crits against me. I'll try to always keep a Hero's Defiance prepared so that should prevent the worst 1/day.

Geddy2112
2017-03-14, 05:31 PM
Well, you certainly can put all that WBL into AC, and sheer tanking, including in combat options such as fighting defensively/total defense and then further down that rabbit hole with full crane wing, deflect arrows, etc. Again, you are not there to tank so it is not a huge deal. If you are too tanky and have no way to force things to attack you(or you don't do any damage) then they end up ignoring you anyways. Since you are going to realistically present a major threat, you could bump it up a bit more, say 30, just to prevent another striker build from one hit killing you.

Keep in mind you are not in a vacuum. The party arcane caster should be throwing haste on you, which is a +1 to your AC as a dodge bonus. Energy damage should be getting eaten up by resist/pro energy. There also might be a caster capable of throwing a higher level barkskin on you than your current one, or a shield of faith, etc etc. Likewise, these casters are going to be debuffing the enemy, reducing the numbers on the other side and making you harder to hit.

Paladin's don't have many spells, but you can do this too. Litany of defense is a good way to buff, and the debuff litany's don't allow saves so that helps as well.

As an experiment I made the theoretical most defensive character. Halfling monk at level 20 with over 100 AC when you factored it all in. A tarrasque has a BAB of +40 so even with true strike it would need a nat 20 on the dice, but the character could outright ignore 2 attacks a round.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-14, 05:41 PM
The aforementioned items cost about 25K, so if I want to stick to my default strategy of 25% investment, this means I will have a mere AC 28 at level 12. Now that I look at it, it seems pretty shabby for that level.

I assumes as much, but was a bit unsure because some basic web research turned up several threads on other forums where it was suggested that a "Tank" should put 50-75% of WBL into AC.

While 28 AC at level 12 isn't horrid - it's not good either. And you only did it by cheesing with Jingasa/Fates Favored. I seem to be one of the few that was happy that the Jingasa was nerfed - though banning Fates Favored wouldn't bother me either. (And don't get me started on how happy I was when Pathfinder nerfed animated shields. My table had already banned it - but it was still nice to see.)

The general Pathfinder rule is: 10+level min for everyone, 15+level min for melee, and 20+level min for tanky characters, but around 10ish you should really be above the aforementioned formulas.

And yes - in Pathfinder (or 3.5 for that matter) the bulk of your wealth should be spent defensively. The general rule is that character abilities are more efficient offensively, and gear is more efficient defensively. Therefore most character abilities should be aimed for offense, and most gear for defense.

One thing you should probably do is get Mithril Full Plate by level 12 and have a decent Dexterity (not to mention dropping the armor check penalty considerably). That's another two points right there.

I'm not sure why you think that AC gets much more expensive after what you listed though. Going from +2 to +3 armor cost you 5k, and bringing your RoP & AoNA up to +2 cost 6k each.

While you can get away with a somewhat lower AC with a Paladin due to lay on hands - if you're not careful you'll be shredded when you run into one of the monsters with a bunch of low accuracy natural weapons who don't have iteratives anyway.

Offensively - the only gear you really need is a weapon and a STR belt (maybe mixed with Dex), though defensively besides AC you'll also want a Cloak of Protection & Headband of Charisma.

Firechanter
2017-03-14, 08:19 PM
I seem to be one of the few that was happy that the Jingasa was nerfed

I really don't care either way; when we play with the original version I take it; otherwise not. The only thing that bugs me is that Paizo has a tendency to "hyper-nerf" options that they at one point deemed too powerful. Like, they don't tone down a single aspect to make it more balanced, they throw out _everything_ that made it worthwhile. Compare the infamous Spiked Chain -- in 3.5 one of the very few Exotic Weapons actually worth a feat; in PF still costing a Feat but objectively worse than any martial weapon in all respects. Jingasa is similar.

And yes - in Pathfinder (or 3.5 for that matter) the bulk of your wealth should be spent defensively. The general rule is that character abilities are more efficient offensively, and gear is more efficient defensively. Therefore most character abilities should be aimed for offense, and most gear for defense.

True enough, but defense is so much more than AC. That's precisely the reason why I don't want to spend more than 25% on AC. Saves, Resistances, Immunities, and general "Get out of a Tight Spot" cards tend to become much more important from middle levels onwards. Again, I'm not very proficient in PF gear, but in 3.5 I'd invest easily 40% of my wealth in countermeasures against stun
/daze, lockdown, death effects etc.

One thing you should probably do is get Mithril Full Plate by level 12 and have a decent Dexterity (not to mention dropping the armor check penalty considerably). That's another two points right there.

For a total cost of 11.500 GP plus Enhancements for the Plate, plus another 16.000 GP minimum for the Dex item to make any use of it (or 24k if I have to pay surcharge for a combined item), not to mention losing money from selling off my old Full Plate (+3 at that point if I stick to my schedule). All in all we're looking at an investment of up to 40.000 GP -- now that's two _extremely_ expensive points of AC "right there"!

I'm not sure why you think that AC gets much more expensive after what you listed though. Going from +2 to +3 armor cost you 5k, and bringing your RoP & AoNA up to +2 cost 6k each.

See above. At the aforementioned schedule, by level 12 I would have Armor 9 +3, Nat +1, Def +1, Luck +2, Dex +1, Dodge +1 for the total of 28.
The cheapest way to bump that to 30 seems to be upgrading Nat and Def, for a total of 12k -- increasing my total spending by 50% for 2 more points.

Offensively - the only gear you really need is a weapon and a STR belt (maybe mixed with Dex), though defensively besides AC you'll also want a Cloak of Protection & Headband of Charisma.

Again, looking at level 12 spotlight (because here the WBL is a nice and straight 100k):
- AC the aforementioned 25k
- Weapon should be at least +3 market price, (18k+). +4 (32k+) is already too expensive.
- Str +4 16k; (ideally +6 to get a total of +8 Str mod, but again, prolly too expensive)
- instead of Dex I'd prolly want Con for aforementioned reasons (Mithral FP being not worth it), but we have to see how much we can even spare
- Cha +4 16k
- Resistance: a +5 for 25k would eat up the entire remaining WBL, leaving nothing for a Con item, let alone any other defenses / resistances

I'd probably start scrimping: make do with Str +2 for a while longer (saves 12k), Resi just +3 (saves 16k)
This frees up some funds for additional defenses and mobility. Not enough for a Ring of FoM though. As I said, not sure what to take.

(Also, just ftr, the DM is not going to slavishly follow the WBL guidelines. Could be we will be better off, could be we get the short end of the stick. Could be we can get some extra mileage out of Crafting, could be we can only offset shortages that way. I haven't played with this DM before, we'll have to wait and see.)

CharonsHelper
2017-03-14, 08:44 PM
For a total cost of 11.500 GP plus Enhancements for the Plate, plus another 16.000 GP minimum for the Dex item to make any use of it (or 24k if I have to pay surcharge for a combined item), not to mention losing money from selling off my old Full Plate (+3 at that point if I stick to my schedule). All in all we're looking at an investment of up to 40.000 GP -- now that's two _extremely_ expensive points of AC "right there"!

Well - I was thinking building your character with a base Dex of 14 and only adding +2 to the belt - so only 6k to get it up to 16 (since the 2nd enchantment on the belt costs 1.5x). And it's not as if +2 AC is all that would give you. It also gives +2 Initiative, +2 Reflex, +2 to ranged attacks, & +2 to a bunch of skills.

Firechanter
2017-03-14, 08:58 PM
Well, I can't afford a 14 Dex, unfortunately. Or rather, it would require dumping Int and Wis more than I'm comfortable with. Otherwise I'd certainly plan for a MFP.

Again, this character is not my usual style -- I can't even remember when I last played a Heavy Armour User in a 3.X game. Normally I stick to Light and eventually plan for a Mithral Breastplate.

Arutema
2017-03-15, 01:12 AM
- is there any _equipment_ that I've missed that gives cheap AC boosts?

A heavy shield. It's +2 AC and another piece of armor to enchant.

With Improved Shield Bash, you can make it your main weapon as well. It's a one-handed weapon, so you can use it in both hands for extra damage. Put spikes on it to up the damage die a bit, or later get it enchanted with Bashing.

If that's not a big enough damage die for you, be a Tempered Champion of Mazludeh (Distant Shores) so you can use the Warpriest's sacred weapon die for it.

Sayt
2017-03-15, 02:20 AM
The Jingasa on it's own was fine, it was fate's favored which was dumb, IMHO. Seriously, nerfing the crit negation to once ever? The Hell?

Anyway, there's also the ring of force shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-force-shield/), which is a hand's free Heavy shield.

Remember that when you smite, you have +Cha to deflection to AC.

You could also pick up the Variant Divine Bond: Archon Bond, which grants you what is functionally an Archon's Aura of Menace, for +2 effective AC against creatures who fail the save (10+1/2lvl+Cha)

CR12 creatures have about 16/17 to hit on their first attack, so they should actually miss you, on average (just)

Castilonium
2017-03-15, 03:46 AM
You're a Fey Foundling paladin. You really don't need to care too much about staying alive at that point. Especially if your race is Tiefling.

But here's something you might like: Shield Brace. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/shield-brace-combat-shield-mastery/) Now you can use a darkwood heavy shield and two handed weapon at the same time. Go with a lucerne hammer if you want a reach weapon, or a nodachi if you want a non reach weapon, since they're both polearms.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-15, 07:25 AM
Anyway, there's also the ring of force shield (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rings/ring-of-force-shield/), which is a hand's free Heavy shield.

You will get all sorts of argument either way - but there is no freakin' way that I'd ever allow someone to turn it on & off the same turn and get the bonus. Rounds aren't actually taking turns. GMs are specifically called out as limiting ridiculous free actions from abuse.

I'd be just as likely to give someone with Quick-draw, a throwing shield, and a Blink-back Belt infinite attacks each turn which also works by abusing free actions. (hint: 0%)

Ualaa
2017-03-15, 07:54 AM
Shield Focus is an easy feat, for +1 AC from your shield.
Dodge, if your DEX score is at least 13, is another +1 AC and this applies to your touch as well.

As mentioned previously, Fey Foundling is a nice feat.
It adds +2 healing, per die rolled, and your 'Lay on Hands' is a swift action on yourself.
1d6 per two character levels, so +1 hp per Paladin level approximately for your swift action heal.

If you're using Path of War content, or can use it...
Take a level dip into Warlord.
You get a Stance, which can be a free 1d6 on every melee damaging attack and a few powers/counters/boosts per combat.
Also your Gambit can get you +CHA to an attack roll, but it has to be a basic attack (the same as you're doing from 1st-5th with your normal weapon swing); if you take Victory Gambit for example, to 'try to kill' your opponent (the Gambit costs a Swift action), you get extra maneuvers refreshed if successful, but take a -2 to d20 rolls until the start of your next turn if you fail.
If your CHA bonus is +3 or higher, until you have another use for your Swift action (such as Lay on Hands, or Quicken or whatever), kill the opponent or not and you're still ahead on the attack roll even with the minus 2.

If you're going with a shield, Iron Tortoise counters from within Path of War, are amazing... again assuming you're using Path of War content.

It's worth noting, you can go with the DEX route instead of the STR route, then go with light armor such as Elven Chain or Mithral, and end up with comparable armor to the full plate route.
You then need Weapon Finesse for attacks, and something like Deadly Agility for DEX to damage, so you spend extra feats to get it.
But then a lot of your armor is Touch as well as full armor, and you can sleep in armor without becoming fatigued... so your Flat-Footed armor is higher upon waking abruptly, even if it is lower once your armor would have been equipped.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-15, 08:46 AM
A heavy shield. It's +2 AC and another piece of armor to enchant.

Unless it's going to be his only weapon, I wouldn't recommend a heavy shield for a paladin. Since it takes up a hand - if you have a weapon in the other it prevents you from using Lay on Hands or any spell-casting without dropping one of them.

If you want to go sword & board - a light shield is better.

I will also note that two-handed combat in Pathfinder becomes weaker around level 11-12 because of how Power Attack works. Power Attack becomes far less beneficial at level 11. While your primary attack will still likely hit - your two iteratives have a good chance of missing because of using Power Attack. In addition - PA is a numerical damage bonus for a % DPR penalty (accuracy) and as you gain levels your base static damage is going up, making Power Attack's damage boost matter less and less.

Power Attack is still probably worth having as it's handy against easy to hit targets and/or when you don't get a full attack, but starting at level 11 it certainly shouldn't be your default even if you're going two-handed combat. And that therefore makes two-handed combat not as dominant vs sword & board, as superior PA usage is its primary selling point in Pathfinder.

Arutema
2017-03-15, 12:00 PM
Unless it's going to be his only weapon, I wouldn't recommend a heavy shield for a paladin. Since it takes up a hand - if you have a weapon in the other it prevents you from using Lay on Hands or any spell-casting without dropping one of them.

I did mention in my post that a (bashing or spiked) heavy shield works just fine as your primary melee weapon with improved shield bash.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-15, 01:00 PM
I did mention in my post that a (bashing or spiked) heavy shield works just fine as your primary melee weapon with improved shield bash.

No I got you. Sorry - I should have been more clear that I was adding onto what you said rather than correcting it.

Also of note: By level 12 even a Paladin could have Shield Master - which is pretty stupidly awesome for anyone using a shield as a weapon, though on a Paladin it would use up the bulk of his feats to get.

Firechanter
2017-03-15, 01:49 PM
Re. Path of War:
Well, although I really do want to try out PoW at some point -- in 3.5 the Warblade is my favourite class -- I haven't even bothered to ask about it for this current game. Reason being, it's a new group, most of us haven't played with each other before, including the DM. So I wanted to avoid creating an impression of being a "special snowflake" player that wants to use 3rd party material that nobody else knows. (Well, one other player knows _about_ it, the rest never heard of it.)

Once I've gotten to know these guys better, and vice versa, I'll bring up PoW for introduction at our table, but right now it's not en vogue.

I will give Shield Master a look, but generally I'm more inclined to stick to Two-Handed. It would probably require a serious overhaul of my build, since I already planned most of my feats.
Edit: oh nvm, requires Dex 15.

Eldariel
2017-03-15, 02:11 PM
First of all, I'd recommend relying on a Cleric for Magic Vestment (or just being a Cleric yourself since they're godlike frontliner damage dealer + tanks as you no doubt know; and getting buffs for the party is sweet). That adds some points and is just as potent in PF as in 3.5 (albeit slightly harder to caster level boost). Then getting an Animated Shield - it's worse than it used to be but if you have any meaningful standard actions (spells, buffs, abilities, whatever) you can easily activate it on the first round and get the benefits for a while. With a two-hander it's easy enough to grasp again. Though yeah, you either have to drop it or use a different weapon when one-handing (I recommend activating it when the battle is joined and just dropping it after the 4 rounds unless you're taking ranged attacks). After that...well, I'll leave it up to you but just remember to invest in your utility items.

Firechanter
2017-03-15, 02:42 PM
Of course, I know that Clerics rock quite a bit. But I played them so often (several in 3.5, one in PF) that I'm kinda fed up. ^^

The advice to "fire and forget" an Animated Shield seems sound. I'll need to evaluate how often I want to use a Standard Action while remaining stationary in the first regular combat round. Afterwards, 4 rounds should be sufficient to get the encounter into wraps well enough to do the rest without shield.
However, it should probably be a Light Shield as base so I can still cast/LoH while holding it - so that of course reduces the overall effectiveness.

Running the numbers:

Animated Light Shield +1 = +2AC for 9k --> 4,5k per point
+3AC = 16k --> 5,3k per point
+4AC = 25k --> 6,25k per point
+5AC = 36k --> 7,2k per point

Thus, it would make sense to get an ALS+2 before upgrading either RoP or AoNA to +2. Level 13 seems to be a good time to look at it.

BTW, concerning the aforementioned Ring of Force Shield: I don't think it's a big deal to permit switching it off and on again each turn. After all, fighting Two-Handed this means that you can't perform AoOs while the ring is active. I see that as a tradeoff, not a no-brainer.

Rerednaw
2017-03-15, 11:15 PM
YMMV but I suggest a Minor Cloak of Displacement. 20% miss chance is very helpful, especially against foes that target say your touch AC. Spendy, but less than some of those 2 pts of AC.

Alternatively, be small...Command-Word or at-will Reduce Person via custom magic item. +2 Dex and size bonus for +2 AC. Less damage but hit more often with size bonus to hit.

Firechanter
2017-03-16, 03:47 AM
Yes of course, the MiCoD is lovely, but at 24k also so expensive that you probably can't afford it before level 13-14.

Thanks for mentoning the Tiefling btw, only now realized that they can get a sizable boost to Lay on Hands as well (on par with the one from Fey Foundling). However, with the optimal subrace (Demonspawn for +2 Str and Cha) I'd basically be down to 1-2 skill points per level, and I'd feel too limited outside of combat with that. The potential LoH pool of over 500 points at level 12 (before Extra LoH) really is awesome, though.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-16, 07:26 AM
Thanks for mentoning the Tiefling btw

Not to mention that they can take a single feat to gain +2 natural armor.

(Really - Tieflings & Aasimar are both a bit OP - especially if your game allows all of the stat variants.)

Sayt
2017-03-16, 02:16 PM
You will get all sorts of argument either way - but there is no freakin' way that I'd ever allow someone to turn it on & off the same turn and get the bonus. Rounds aren't actually taking turns. GMs are specifically called out as limiting ridiculous free actions from abuse.

I'd be just as likely to give someone with Quick-draw, a throwing shield, and a Blink-back Belt infinite attacks each turn which also works by abusing free actions. (hint: 0%)

Actually, i thought it was legitimately hands free due to its talk of weight and emcumberance, although im realizing is never says that outright. Nevertheless, 8k is roughy whay you pay for a +2 AC item anyway, so id hardly put it in the same category as infinite attacks.

Not to mention that they can take a single feat to gain +2 natural armor.

(Really - Tieflings & Aasimar are both a bit OP - especially if your game allows all of the stat variants.)

I think they're strong and versatile, I would not call them OP (especially now that SLAs dont get you early access, which was silly). They get ability modifiers which are in line with the CRB, they get a minor spell like ability (which I've never seen used, to be honest, amd is 1/day), and a minor skill bump, and some decent feat support.

CharonsHelper
2017-03-16, 03:25 PM
Actually, i thought it was legitimately hands free due to its talk of weight and emcumberance, although im realizing is never says that outright. Nevertheless, 8k is roughy whay you pay for a +2 AC item anyway, so id hardly put it in the same category as infinite attacks.

Yes - it's what you pay for other +2 AC items... and they're all part of The Big Six - which are basically required for every character in the game. Any other item which is comparable on pure stat-ups starts to break the game. (Not to mention it makes two-handed combat even more potent - when it's already generally the most potent melee combat style in the game.)

And no - it's not as potent as infinite attacks - but the free actions at will logic is the same - and it's ridiculous enough that no one will argue that it should be banned. Hence my using it as an example of how GMs shouldn't be shy about limiting free actions.

Remember - the characters aren't actually taking turns - they're all acting at once. The turns are to make the system mechanically viable. You basically want to use the ring to make Schrodinger's Shield Bonus. It's always on when it is helping your defense, and it's always off when you're using the hand to attack.

Sayt
2017-03-16, 03:37 PM
But shield is also one of the weakest AC bonuses: it doesn't apply in touch attacks like deflection, it is ignored by brilliant energy unlike natural armour, and the ring doesn't allow for enhancing the armor. AC is one of the harder things to build for, there are few magic items that are compatible with each other and they aren't cheap.

It may help THFighters, but it also helps the AC of TWFighters, who need to rely on dex and light armor.

That said, these days I'd rather buy class specific items: Sash of the war champion or dueling gloves for a fighter, boots of swift fury or headband of havoc on a barbarian. But OP asked for AC items, so :shrug:

Firechanter
2017-03-16, 06:26 PM
Alright, I guess the AC question is sufficiently dealth with at this point.
So, as we're about it - what Paladin-specific gear is there?

The only thing I heard of would be a Grayflame weapon, which is not applicable for me since that is fueled by Channel Energy, which I am trading away for OoV. So if you can point me towards more swell stuff, I'm all ears.

Castilonium
2017-03-16, 09:49 PM
Bracers of the Merciful Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-the-merciful-knight/)

Rerednaw
2017-03-16, 11:19 PM
Alright, I guess the AC question is sufficiently dealth with at this point.
So, as we're about it - what Paladin-specific gear is there?

The only thing I heard of would be a Grayflame weapon, which is not applicable for me since that is fueled by Channel Energy, which I am trading away for OoV. So if you can point me towards more swell stuff, I'm all ears.

Always been fond of http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicRingsDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Knight-Inheritor%27s%20Ring
myself. That and Demonsorrow...but the blade is exotic and pricey. Ring is 3k.

Firechanter
2017-03-17, 02:41 AM
Does that ring function only for Pals of Iomedae?

Demonsorrow is awesome :D prolly not what I will need for the endgame of our current game, but I'll keep it in mind. ^^

Them Bracers are nice but also pretty pricy.

Sayt
2017-03-17, 03:32 AM
Inheritor's Light (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Inheritor%27s%20 Light) gives you another HP healed per die when wielding it.

Uplifting boots (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Uplifting%20Bo ots) lets you get to flying stuff. Crusading (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicArmorDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Crusading)Armor is also good, as are the Bracers of the Avenging Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-the-avenging-knight/)

Firechanter
2017-03-17, 04:09 AM
What's the deal with all that Iomedae gear? Is there also any gear for other Paladins, or am I just stupid for not playing a follower of Iomedae? *flips desk*

I've once read the statement that you could also be devoted to the "Five Lawful Pantheon", i.e. Io', Abadar, and three more including Asmodeus, can anyone give me a pointer where I can read up on that?

I'm not sure about the Bacers of the Avenging Knight... are they really worth it? I mean, it's another 12k or whatever for effectively +4 damage while smiting... if the virtual level increase also counted for Smites per day I'd say sure, sign me up. But that kind of cash just for a situational damage bonus; I dunno.

Sayt
2017-03-17, 07:16 AM
Iomedae is the mortal Paladin who became the god of paladins nobility, righteousness good and law. She's a pretty big deal, among Paladins.

4 more damage is 8 more damage on the first hit against one of the Big Three Smitees. It might not be effective at this level, but it's decent.

The 'Five Lawful" pantheon is also known as the Godclaw. It's a pantheon venerated by the Hellknights of the Godclaw, and consists of Iomedae, Asmodeus, Torag, Irori and Abadar. You can find it on the PF wiki, or in Faiths and Philosophies or Path of the Hellknight.