PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Blood Hunter Multiclass Flavor

Zanyard
2017-03-14, 02:16 PM
Hello Hivemind, I would like some help coming up with fun or flavorful multiclass options for my Blood Hunter. There's a few things to consider for the character and party and I can't really decide what I want to do.

Using Blood Hunter v1.8
Variant Human, with Inspiring Leader (fits my backstory)
Currently level 4
Chose Mutant Order
We have very high stats
The party is: Me, a Bard, a Monk, and two Sorcerers.
DM says NO warlocks
No UA, it's not multiclassed balanced, and I'm already using a homebrew

All of our stats are very high, because our DM wanted them to be. I have 14, 20, 18, 14, 16, 14 In the standard stat order, so being MAD isn't really an issue. We are planned to go up to level 20 if we do side missions and go at least level 15 probably. I wanted to come up with a few options for multiclassing that would fit thematically with my character but mainly I want them to be fun, I don't care much for optimization.
A bit about the character: he was captured by pirates and eventually joined their ranks. A few years pass and he becomes a captain after (not exactly) selling out his crew (read: former captors.) So he amasses a fleet with secret backing from a Lord, carrying out a few hush-hush missions for him in exchange for power. A few years pass and he is betrayed by the lord and all everything he has is taken, most everyone he knows is killed, and he is on the run. For story reasons, our campaign takes place like 2000 years later and we were like magicked back into existence (we haven't figured everything out yet so I don't know all the details on this.)

I had a few ideas so far:

Barbarian: new mutagen I made toughened skin and chemically imbalanced my mind, prone to rage
Rogue: Already a shady mercenary type
Ranger: I've been doing the tracking and navigating, also the animal skinning and other ranger like things. (I would probably only do this if I could use the revised ranger with hunter conclave)
Fighter: Don't really need a reason, just more martial training
Paladin: My character knows he messed up and was a terrible person. Working toward some kind of redemption. Also a firm believer in Vengeance.
Sorcerer: I don't really want sorcerer because we already have 2, and even then I want the UA sea sorcerer, so this has a very small chance of happening.

Can anyone thing of any other fun levels or thematic choices?
EDIT: Knew I forgot something. I took dueling style and mainly use a rapier.

Jarlhen
2017-03-14, 03:08 PM
I don't see any particular reason to multiclass a blood hunter. I guess rogue for some skills maybe. But the blood hunter gets a lot of juicy stuff up until about level 11. I wouldn't slow down the progression. I don't see any RP reasons why you would either.

Syradin
2017-03-14, 03:34 PM
In my group for Storm Kings Thunder I play a Blood hunter 5 / Barbarian 2 multic class also using version 1.8. Human variant for Duel wielder feat and at 4 I took the tough feat. Makes a great tank and deals a good bit of damage with longswords plus rite damage.

If you do go this route keep in mind that in a tweet to Matt Mercer someone asked how the rites and blood curses work while raging. His response was that the rites work just fine but the curses are like spells and can't be used while raging.

Zanyard
2017-03-14, 05:40 PM
I was leaning towards taking barbarian levels for the unarmored defense, range damage reduction, and if I remember correctly shield proficiency. It would make my AC 21 before my next ASI if I pick up a shield. The thing with that is that I use dex weapons, so I don't get the rage damage bonus and a second level of barbarian really only gets me Danger Sense. I plan on picking tough up at some point also.

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-03-15, 12:42 AM
You're order of the mutagen. So use the strength mutagen when you barbarian rage

If you can also get your hands on potions of growth: Mr Hyde to your Dr Jekyll

(finesse weapons can be used with strength)