PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rebalancing Spells for a Warlock

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-14, 05:16 PM
One of my players approached me about some homebrew spells for his GOO tomelock. They don't match the standard verbiage, and he's a relatively new player, so I want to make them actually playable (but not disproportionately powerful). I haven't played around too much with making spells, so I'd like some opinions on adjusting language and numbers to fit the standards. The campaign is relatively high-powered. Most of these are pretty straightforward blasting types. I've put this here, not in the homebrew section because I want a wider array of feedback than normally happens there.

Here they are:

5th-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V
Duration: Instantaneous

You transmute yourself into a howling blast of sound that eats away at the soul anyone caught in the path. You teleport to an unoccupied space you can see within range. Any creature that occupies a five-foot-wide path between your starting location and your ending location when you cast this spell must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save a target takes 6d6 necrotic damage and is deafened until the end of your next turn. On a successful save, the target takes half damage and is not defeaned. This spell cannot be cast while you or your target location is in direct sunlight.

Note: this one I've adjusted already to match wording. The damage is down from the DMG standard for a 5th-level spell due to the utility of the teleport.

6th-level evocation
Range: Self (60-foot line)
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

A beam of weird, otherworldly light bursts from your hand and forms a 5-foot-wide, 60-foot-long line. Each creature in the line must make a Wisdom saving throw. It takes 4d10 psychic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. As an action on your turn you can create a new beam of voidlight for the duration of the spell.

In addition, while concentrating on this spell a ball of voidlight appears in your hand. It casts dim light in a 10-foot radius and hinders attacks against you made while in the light. Enemies within the light that target you with melee attacks must roll 1d4 and subtract the result from their attack roll.

Notes: I have no clue how to balance this one. The damage is understated but repeatable and the extra effect is odd. I've tried to clean up the verbiage, but probably screwed it up badly.

7th-level necromancy
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

Shadowy tentacles burst from your outstretched hand and attempt to ensnare a creature you can see within range. The target must make a Dexterity saving throw. It takes 11d10 necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the target is reduced to 0 hit points by this spell you regain hit points equal to the amount of damage dealt by the spell.

Notes: Straightforward--vampiric touch at range on steroids. Maybe make it an attack roll instead of a saving throw?

jaappleton
2017-03-14, 05:24 PM
I'll take a stab at this. Honestly, they're very poorly written. I find the best way to create new spells is to take existing spells and modify them.

To balance Voidlight, its essentially copying Sunbeam. But Voidlight is actually quite weaker. Honestly, just make it Sunbeam but change its name to Voidbeam, and instead of being blinded by immense light, its immense darkness.

Valaria's Embrace is too OP. Regaining HP like that is insane. Vampiric Touch, a similar spell, only regains half HP, and a Con save would be much more appropriate.

DracoKnight
2017-03-14, 05:26 PM
I agree with jaappleton here.

Also, howling shadow is super cool, but since it specifically calls out that you transmute into sound, I'd say 3d6 Thunder damage and 3d6 Necrotic damage.

jaappleton
2017-03-14, 05:28 PM

Also, howling shadow is super cool, but since it specifically calls out that you transmute into sound, I'd say 3d6 Thunder damage and 3d6 Necrotic damage.

Agreed, especially on the Thunder. In 5E, Thunder damage is Pathfinder's 'Sonic' damage, right? Its not so much the traditional 'thunder and lightning' but a massive shockwave that can harm you. So Thunder makes a ton of sense here.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-03-14, 05:52 PM
I'll take a stab at this. Honestly, they're very poorly written. I find the best way to create new spells is to take existing spells and modify them.

To balance Voidlight, its essentially copying Sunbeam. But Voidlight is actually quite weaker. Honestly, just make it Sunbeam but change its name to Voidbeam, and instead of being blinded by immense light, its immense darkness.

Valaria's Embrace is too OP. Regaining HP like that is insane. Vampiric Touch, a similar spell, only regains half HP, and a Con save would be much more appropriate.

Agreed, especially on the Thunder. In 5E, Thunder damage is Pathfinder's 'Sonic' damage, right? Its not so much the traditional 'thunder and lightning' but a massive shockwave that can harm you. So Thunder makes a ton of sense here.

Thanks. I was thinking something similar for howling shadow. To balance Valeria's embrace, does it matter that the heal only goes off if it kills something? Probably not. I'll change it to healing for half and a Con save. I hadn't seen Sunbeam, so I'll probably do that.

Thanks both of you.