PDA

View Full Version : Help with multi classing bard.

kulosle
2017-03-14, 05:30 PM
So first time play 5e. I have a lore bard that is focusing on utility. And I was thinking of dipping into sorcerer and or warlock. I'm currently level 3. What do you think?

Primarily does the utility I gain from dipping into either of those out weigh being behind on spell levels? Especially considering I get other classes spells any ways.

Specter
2017-03-14, 06:01 PM
Focusing on utility? Then no. Warlock dips are mostly for damage and combos. Sorcerer could give you some other useful spells and metas, but that would take too long. Stick to Bard until level 10 at least.

BW022
2017-03-14, 06:11 PM
If you are aiming for utility...

Neither sorcerer nor warlock is a great utility caster. They don't have a lot of utility spells, they don't gain any real special abilities (sorcery points or invocations) until 2nd-level. Warlock utility isn't great until 3rd or 5th when you gain a pact ability and their first good invocation.

IMO, your best bet for utility is bard/4. Take the ritual caster (wizard) feat at 4th. This gives you two spells, plus the ability to put more in. Find familiar, alarm, comprehend languages, detect magic, etc. You can free up any bard slots as needed. You need a 13 wisdom or intelligence.

Next best would be wizard/1. You know 6 spells in your book, plus the ability to add new ones. You can take a good number of rituals and can cast them from your book. Arcane recovery gives you an extra slot per day if needed. You need a 13 intelligence.

After this... nature or knowledge cleric/1 might be useful. They have a fair number of ritual spells and can memorize new spells upon daily. You need a 13 wisdom. Armor might be useful.

kulosle
2017-03-14, 07:32 PM
Well I was thinking of going 3 levels of I went into either of them. If I'm reading it correctly warlocks can get literally all of the rituals.

Sorcery points seems useful for getting back a spell slot if I really need it. As well as meta magic. Heighten can be very useful.

Herobizkit
2017-03-14, 08:42 PM
Warlock will get you all the utility you need.

* Two short-rest spell slots is awesome.
* Most folks will tell you to take Eldritch Blast and the Agonizing Blast invocation to have a d10+Cha magical ranged attack. That's not a bad play... but Warlock can do so much more via Invocations.
* As you've figured out, Book of Shadows makes you a great ritual caster. Note that rituals take TIME to cast, however, and so aren't going to save your bacon in the middle of a fight (like Sorcerer might). Don't discount having a flying, invisible scout, though.
* I hope that your campaign will last to at least level 6 so that your "build" comes "online".