PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Firearms (and also the Mancatcher)

Parvum
2017-03-14, 10:47 PM
Going through an old adventure and I realized I never put the converted firearms up here for anyone to see. These are mostly converted from Pathfinder firearms, and also there's the mancatcher weapon because it was relevant to the setting I was making.

Chapter 6: Practical Applications of Gunpowder

Before the world exploded, there was a technological and magic renaissance creating wonders never before imagined, from clockwork constructs of such intricate detail and programming that they resembled life all the way to portable sticks that could combat odour on a personal level. Some of the technology and advances were lost after the disaster, but many remain. Of most interest to the average adventurer are the powder firearms, nonmagical combustion weaponry that has considerably leveled the playing field for cities filled with giants and magical creatures. Though they are more expensive to obtain than most weapons, they are widely produced and commonplace in more dangerous parts of the city.
Below is information for the use of firearms as well as the mancatcher, a special polearm used by the guard in Loperg to restrain criminals.

Firearm
A weapon with the firearm trait can only be used to make a single attack a round, similar to a weapon with the Loading trait. In addition, a firearm misfires on a natural roll of 1.
The first time a firearm misfires, it is broken and has disadvantage to any subsequent attack roll until someone proficient in the weapon takes 10 minutes to repair it. If a firearm misfires again before being repaired it explodes, dealing it’s weapon damage (with no modifier) to each creature within 10 ft, including the wielder. A successful Dexterity saving throw (DC 10) halves this damage.

Scatter
A firearm with the scatter quality can be used with a special ammunition, pellets, to fire in a 15 ft. cone. You attack every creature in the cone, ignoring visibility (including illusions disguising their location), with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. When making a scatter shot, you cannot get critical hits but you can still misfire.

Double Hackbut
This double length rifle is a terrifying sight to see in the hands of an enemy, though wildly impractical to use. The gun is mounted on a light carriage that allows the weapon to swivel about and quickly plant it’s back leg for stability. Setting up the carriage is an action, as is folding the carriage back to move the weapon. Firing the double hackbut without the carriage imposes disadvantage on the attack roll and knocks the wielder prone. Moving the gun without folding the carriage halves your speed until it is dropped.

Pepperbox
A pepperbox is a pistol with up to six barrels that are quickly rotated by hand, allowing several shots to be fired before the weapon must be reloaded. You ignore the loading quality of this firearm if you are able to make extra attacks.

Mancatcher
Originally called a pincer staff, this kuo toa weapon allows you to grab targets from a distance. If you are proficient with the mancatcher any Large or smaller creature you hit with it is grappled until they take an action to succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check to escape (DC=8+Your Str+Your prof bonus). Until the grapple ends, you can only use the mancatcher to attack the target you’ve grappled.

Simple Weapons

Name
Cost
Damage
Weight
Properties

Pistol
100gp
1d8
4 lbs
Ammunition (Range 30/100) Firearm

Blunderbuss
150gp
1d8
8 lbs
Ammunition (Range 20/40) Firearm, Two Handed, Scatter

Coat Pistol
40gp
1d6
1 lb
Ammunition (Range 20/60) Firearm, Light

Martial Weapons

Name
Cost
Damage
Weight
Properties

Mancatcher
50gp
1d8
18 lbs
Two Handed, Reach, Special

Dragon Pistol
200gp
1d6
3 lbs
Ammunition (Range 30/80) Firearm, Scatter

Double Hackbut
1000gp
2d12
25 lbs

Ammunition (Range 60/200) Two Handed, Firearm, Special

Culverin
1000gp
2d8
20 lbs
Ammunition (Range 40/140) Two Handed, Heavy, Firearm

Musket
300gp
1d12
9 lbs
Ammunition (Range 60/180) Two Handed, Firearm

Pepperbox
750gp
1d8
5 lbs
Ammunition (Range 30/100) Firearm, Special

Bullets and Black Powder
Ammunition for firearms are sold in group of 20 bullets for 6 gp each, or 4 gp for scatter pellets (you choose which ammunition you load when making your attack with a scatter weapon). A single unit of firearm ammunition is actually the bullet or pellet plus a single dose of black powder, usually kept in a powder horn. A single dose of black powder can be ignited with an open flame to flare brightly for one round, shedding bright light for 30 ft and dim light for another 30 ft. Additional doses of black powder extend this duration by one round each, while lighting 20 doses at once causes an explosion with a 10 ft radius (3d6 fire damage, DC 12 Dexterity throw halves the damage).
In addition, wet black powder is useless until it dries. Dousing a firearm in water renders it unable to fire, though the ammunition is not wasted. The powder horn that black powder is kept in usually protects other doses on your person, and powder dries in an hour.
Unlike most ammunition, firearm bullets and black powder are always destroyed upon use. There is no option to recover the ammunition after a battle.

Many classes will be proficient in firearms through their simple or martial weapon proficiencies. Other classes acquire firearm proficiencies as well:
Rogues: Pistol, Coat Pistol, Dragon Pistol
Bards: Pistol, Coat Pistol
Druids: Pistol, Coat Pistol., Blunderbuss
Sorcerers: Coat Pistol
Wizards: Coat Pistol

JeenLeen
2017-03-15, 08:29 AM
I don't have a very strong eye to balance in 5e, but I think all-in-all this sounds rather reasonable. I definitely like that you are giving some firearm proficiency to all characters, even full casters.

A few points:
--in the PHB, the biggest damage dice a weapon has is 2d6 or 1d12. No 2d12 or 2d8s. Thus, having those via firearms seems... high. I speak on the 2d12 more below. 2d8 might be reasonable.
(I only have the PHB, so it might be that more recently-released sourcebooks invalidate this qualm.)

--should you add a tool set of Gunsmithy Tools for making and repairing firearms and ammunition, or is such included in just being proficient in the weapon (I see repairing the result of misfires is possible just by proficiency)

--the penalties to a Double Hackbut don't seem as severe as they might be intended to be, in comparison to a good ranged 2d12 damage. The initial cost of using an action to ready its carriage is pretty severe, but after that just moving at half-move isn't that bad with the range. A min-maxer would probably just move around with it always set and say his character is paranoid and willing to take the move penalty to be ready in case of ambushes. Even more reasonable players could reasonably move at half-move in a dungeon or dangerous area to avoid the big penalty (and works well if the rogue is moving at half-move to scout or search for traps, etc.)

--for the Mancatcher, I assume the details mean you do your normal damage in addition to applying the condition? Giving the grappled condition automatically upon a successful hits seems really good, especially since the 'penalty' of having to attack just that person is probably a false penalty most of the time, since that's who you want to fight. Something like this could really shut down a rogue who kites via a readied action.
I'm not sure on advice to fix it (if fixing is needed.) Maybe it comes with a Dex or Str save to not be grappled upon a successful hit, or you can choose to either do damage or grapple on a successful hit.