PDA

View Full Version : Spellcraft [3.5 Homebrew re-vamp]

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-03-14, 10:48 PM
This is a Variant of the Researcher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?476144-The-Researcher-%28Class-in-30-minutes-PEACH%29) class. I know it was a [great] 10 minute comp or something like that. But it was not friendly with my dm. This is not to insult the original creator. I personally like a lot of what Jormengand has done.

So here are the changes [changes are written in blue, explanation of the changes will be after each change {but if not then think of a reason already stated. its probably for the same reason}, things that are deleted will be cut like so New Additions will be written in Red]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
Research effects

+1/2 level
The spell affects a 15-foot cone in front of you.
The spell deals 1d3 fire damage. (Evocation) [Fire]
The spell deals acid damage instead of its usual damage type. Replace energy descriptor with [Acid]
The spell deals cold damage instead of its usual damage type. Replace energy descriptor with [Cold]
The spell deals electricity damage instead of its usual damage type. Replace energy descriptor with [Electricity]

+1 level
The spell deals sonic damage instead of its usual damage type and ignores object hardness. Replace energy descriptor with
The spell has medium range.
The spell affects a 30-foot cone instead of its normal range.
The spell affects a 60-foot line instead of its normal range.
The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)Well because when you have a spell that could potentially give you a +22 stats before Epic is kinda TOOOO op.Spell grants a 1 + 1/3 levels enhancement bonus to natural armour for 1 round/level, maximum + 5. (Transmutation)
The spell duration increases from 1 round/level to 1 minute/level

+3/2 levels
The spell deals 1d4 fire damage/level (max 5d4) (Evocation) [Reflex Partial [Minimum damage roll Save before dmg] I know i got rid of the best cheese this clas gives but that's the exact reason i did it. But i also made it so that cheep evasion doesn't work against it
The spell has long range.
The spell affects a 20 foot sphere rather than one creature.
[S]The spell deals force damage instead of its usual damage type. Replace energy descriptor with [Force]Its been moved to +4

+2 levels
The spell deals untyped damage instead of its usual damage type. Remove energy descriptors.Its been moved to +6The spell deals 1d6 points of damage to a single ability score chosen upon research. (Necromancy)
The spell deals positive energy damage instead of its usual damage type. Remove (Evocation) and add (Conjuration), replace energy descriptor with [Healing].
The target falls unconscious for 2d3 rounds. Will negates. (Enchantment)
All invisible creatures in the area are revealed (Divination)
The spell has double long range.
The spell identifies an item. (Divination)
The spell's level cap is lifted. Increased by 5 Due to it having the ability to screw a world over in every way. No but really it can deal alot of dmg and doing this is basicaly giving someone something better than a epic feat [enhance spell] before epic lvl
Spell dispels magic, as targeted dispel magic (if it affects some number of targets) or area dispel magic (if it affects an area). Your dispel check is capped at +10
This bonus is applied after the +1 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+3 levels
The spell heals you for half the damage dealt. (ConjurationNecromancy)Because dealing damage to another to heal your self is playing with the forces of life and death, Necromancy is life and death. This spell is necromancyThe creature (or everyone and everything in the area) Catches On Fire. The area burns for 2d6 rounds, dealing a quarter of its original damage to anyone who passes through, and they must take reflex or Catch on Fire. Can only be added to [Fire] spells.
The spell has quadruple long range.
The spell teleports you to the location without error; if you miss then nothing untoward happens and you go as close as possible. (Conjuration) [Teleportation]
The spell forgoes its normal range and becomes a 60 foot emanation centred on you. You can include or exclude yourself at the time of research.
The spell creates an illusion, chosen by you at the time of casting, for 1 minute + 1 round/level, which includes auditory, visual and olfactory elements and follows a vague scheme designed by you on casting. It must fit within the area and can make no more sound than a ghost sound spell. (Illusion) [Figment]
Spell duration increases from 1 round/levelInstantaneous to 10 minutes/level.Because the spell is original an Instant duration spell Any damage dealt by this spell is halved for each additional round [First round deals 100 dmg? all other rounds is 50 dmg].
This bonus is applied after the +2 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+4 levels
The winds in the area step up or down up to 1 step/round for 1 round/level.
The spell has 1 mile/level range.
The spell affects a 40 foot radius sphere.
Subjects are frightened for 1 round/level. Will negates. (Necromancy) [Fear]
The spell speeds up affected allies, just like a haste spell. (Transmutation)
The spell slows affected enemies, just like a slow spell. (Transmutation)
You control light levels in the area for 1 hour/level.
The spell deals true damage instead of its usual damage type. True damage cannot be prevented, resisted, or mitigated by any means. Remove any energy descriptor.Because it has been changed to +8
The spell deals vile damage of its usual damage type. [Vile] [Evil]
This bonus is applied after the +3 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+5 levels
The spell inflicts 1d4 negative levels on the target. (Necromancy)
The spell reduces the target's hit points to half their current value. Will negates (Necromancy)
The spell stuns the target for 1 round. (Enchantment)
The spell has no maximum range.
The spell affects an 80 foot radius burst.
When the spell resolves, copy it at half effect (Duration, damage, or numerical effect) once. You choose new targets for the copy. If halving it is meaningless, don't create any copies.
Spell duration increases from 1 round/level to 1 hour/level.
This bonus is applied after the +4 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+6 levels
The spell teleports you, and up to 1 ally/level in short range, to the location without error; if you miss then nothing untoward happens and you go as close as possible. (Conjuration) [Teleportation]
The spell allows you to control weather in the area. (Transmutation)
This bonus is applied after the +5 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+7 levels
The spell kills the creature. Fortitude negates. (Necromancy) [Death]
The spell teleports one creature, plus up to 1 creature/level in short range, to the location without error; if you miss then nothing untoward happens and you go as close as possible. Will negates (Possibly harmless). (Conjuration) [Teleportation]
The spell affects a 1 mile radius sphere.
Spell duration increases from 1 round/level to 6 hours/level.
This bonus is applied after the +6 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+8 levels
The spell sends a single creature to a plane of your choice. Will negates (Possibly harmless). (Conjuration) [Teleportation]
When the spell resolves, copy it at half effect (Duration, damage, or numerical effect) twice. You choose new targets for each copy. If halving it is meaningless, don't create any copies.
The spell deals true damage instead of its usual damage type. True damage cannot be prevented, resisted, or mitigated by any means. Remove any energy descriptor
This bonus is applied after the +7 lvl addition 3 times that does the same thing. The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level. This can be applied multiple times to the same ability score. The Maximum this can be applied is 3 times, though look at the following levels (Transmutation)

+9 levels
The creature gets 2d4 negative levels. (Necromancy).
Spell duration increases from 1 round/level to 1 day/level.

-1/2 level
The spell allows spell resistance.
Fortitude half. (Can't apply to harmless)
Reflex half. (Can't apply to harmless)
Will half. (Can't apply to harmless)
The spell is a ray and requires a touch attack to hit.

-1 level
Fortitude negates. (Can't apply to harmless)
Reflex negates. (Can't apply to harmless)
Will negates. (Can't apply to harmless)
The range is touch.

-2 levels
The spell's casting time is 1 minute.

-5/2 levels
The spell doesn't take effect for 10 minutes after casting.

-3 levels
The spell's casting time is 10 minutes.

-7/2 levels
The spell's casting time is 1 hour.

-4 levels
Harmful spells only. You suffer the effect of the spell.
You take 1d6/level true damage when you cast the spell. True damage cannot be prevented, resisted or mitigated.

-5 levels
The spell's casting time is 1 day.

-6 levels
Casting the spell kills you and your death can't be prevented. Though it can be revered due to resurrection or abilities like it
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

Okay i think that is enough, your free to respond.

Also i think this class should have a Psionic variant. Anyone else agree?

gawwy
2017-03-14, 11:51 PM
Also i think this class should have a Psionic variant. Anyone else agree?

A million times yes.

Hell psionics is already halfway there with augments.

Edit: also no love for charms?

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-03-14, 11:55 PM
A million times yes.

Hell psionics is already halfway there with augments

I will probably make one then [It will be Artificer to Psionic artificer so you can't take both classes.]

But all in due time. Any suggestions on how that one would work [increase the pp by a number]

I think this class would work better under the spell points alternate rules. Although all Spellcaster work better with that ruling:smalltongue:

Edit: also no love for charms?
Good idea..... +2 or +3 levels Creature is charmed (Compulsion) Can only be aplied to spells with one target. then a +5 or +6 All within area is charmed [needs area first] (compulsion)

Jormengand
2017-03-16, 12:33 PM
So, under your new paradigm for how valuable force and untyped damage is, I can create this spell:

Magic Slap
Evocation [Force]
Level: Researcher 4
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level)
Target: 1 creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Magic Slap deals 1d3 points of force damage to a single creature.

And this spell:

Blast of Irritation
Evocation
Level: Researcher 12
Range: Long (400 ft + 40 ft/level)
Area: 1 80-ft radius burst

Blast of Irritation deals 1d3 points of damage to each creature in its area.

Are Magic Missile and Sunburst too good?

Also, the reason I changed the duration from one round per level, not from instantaneous, is because of this line:

The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level.
Spell grants a 1 + 1/3 levels enhancement bonus to natural armour for 1 round/level, maximum + 5.

Trying to give instantaneous effects like damage durations gets weird, fast.

Also, I don't know why you think that burning hands is too good and needed to be nerfed, either. And I don't even know what your new abilities are even trying to do because they're written in such godawful English as to be totally incomprehensible. I don't know what you thought this "Fix" was meant to accomplish, but if you were trying to make the class' unique abilities completely unusable, then you succeeded.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-03-16, 02:45 PM
So, under your new paradigm for how valuable force and untyped damage is, I can create this spell:

Magic Slap
Evocation [Force]
Level: Researcher 4
Range: Medium (100 ft + 10 ft/level)

Magic Slap deals 1d3 points of force damage to a single creature.

And this spell:

Blast of Irritation
Evocation
Level: Researcher 12
Range: Long (400 ft + 40 ft/level)
Area: 1 80-ft radius burst

Blast of Irritation deals 1d3 points of damage to each creature in its area.

Are Magic Missile and Sunburst too good?

Also, the reason I changed the duration from one round per level, not from instantaneous, is because of this line:

The spell grants a +2 enhancement bonus to any one ability score chosen upon research for 1 round/level.
Spell grants a 1 + 1/3 levels enhancement bonus to natural armour for 1 round/level, maximum + 5.

Trying to give instantaneous effects like damage durations gets weird, fast.

Also, I don't know why you think that burning hands is too good and needed to be nerfed, either. And I don't even know what your new abilities are even trying to do because they're written in such godawful English as to be totally incomprehensible. I don't know what you thought this "Fix" was meant to accomplish, but if you were trying to make the class' unique abilities completely unusable, then you succeeded.I am sorry if i did anything to offend you, i should have asked you first. My Dm thought it was OP so i suggested a Fix or Variant. This is not a fix by any means but a Variant. Sorry:smalleek:. Though i am fluent in the English language [it is my native language].

Jormengand
2017-03-16, 03:10 PM
If your DM thinks that force damage and untyped damage are "Overpowered" I don't know what to say to them. And I'm not really offended (though calling my class "Ill-designed" certainly doesn't win you any favours), so much as confused as to how you think this is any better.

And after finally working through your exceptionally non-proficient use of, uhm, your own language, I can finally decipher what the red abilties are supposed to do - specifically, they allow you to make this spell:

Ultimate Might
Transmutation
Level: Researcher 107
Range: Short (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: No

The target gets a +48 bonus to their strength for the duration.

Because clearly you have nothing better to be doing by character level 213.

D&DPrinceTandem
2017-03-16, 03:21 PM
If your DM thinks that force damage and untyped damage are "Overpowered" I don't know what to say to them. And I'm not really offended (though calling my class "Ill-designed" certainly doesn't win you any favours), so much as confused as to how you think this is any better.

And after finally working through your exceptionally non-proficient use of, uhm, your own language, I can finally decipher what the red abilties are supposed to do - specifically, they allow you to make this spell:

Ultimate Might
Transmutation
Level: Researcher 107
Range: Short (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: No

The target gets a +48 bonus to their strength for the duration.

Because clearly you have nothing better to be doing by character level 213.

YUP (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1144698)!!!! i am probably going to put some more Negatives in there to bring it down a little but that is quite the spell you have there [also as of 10 minutes after this post i will correct my judging of your homebrew.]