PDA

View Full Version : Higher level character idea help

Denver
2017-03-15, 12:06 AM
Hey Playground, looking for some character direction ideas for a character in one of my campaigns.

A little bit of background information, if you care:

It's a three person campaign - a Barbarian, a Rogue, and an early entry Mystic Theurge. The Barbarian and the Mystic Theurge have taken Willing Deformity (Madness), which has led to some roleplaying fun, and also helped us breeze through the early levels of the game. The Rogue is a pretty normal Rogue, with ab it of a focus on contributing in combat over contributing through skills. So far, it's worked out rather well, as there aren't as many locks to pick or people to schmooze in our setting.

The campaign is set in an archipelago with a rather Polynesian feel to it. Islands are frequent, yet small, and large sized settlements are rather infrequent. The biggest town we have seen had perhaps 300 people living in it. Piracy and trade are common, as is a state of continual, yet small-scale, war between the two local nations. Water Orcs, Fire Elves, Humans, and Lizardfolk are common races, while Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, and Goblins are less common.

The character himself:

Archivist 3/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 7
An early-entry Mystic Theurge who is about to run out of Mystic Theurge levels. I know MT is a sub-par choice overall, but the campaign started with only two PCs, and I felt it would be a good way to help carry the melee guy during the middle levels.

Mostly looking for prestige class suggestions to add to this character that maybe take him in a direction that feels more natural, divine, or naval. I was looking at the Divine Disciple PrC, but that requires a patron deity, which Archivists do not have... Are there other PrCs like Divine Disciple with looser entry requirement?

And, if not, then are there PrCs that might help this character thrive in a natural setting? His survival skills are quite lacking, and sometimes the party splits up for days at a time...

Or, otherwise, I suppose I am just asking for good ideas for a pretty typical Mystic Theurge.

Cheers

Dagroth
2017-03-15, 12:29 PM
Hey Playground, looking for some character direction ideas for a character in one of my campaigns.

A little bit of background information, if you care:

It's a three person campaign - a Barbarian, a Rogue, and an early entry Mystic Theurge. The Barbarian and the Mystic Theurge have taken Willing Deformity (Madness), which has led to some roleplaying fun, and also helped us breeze through the early levels of the game. The Rogue is a pretty normal Rogue, with ab it of a focus on contributing in combat over contributing through skills. So far, it's worked out rather well, as there aren't as many locks to pick or people to schmooze in our setting.

The campaign is set in an archipelago with a rather Polynesian feel to it. Islands are frequent, yet small, and large sized settlements are rather infrequent. The biggest town we have seen had perhaps 300 people living in it. Piracy and trade are common, as is a state of continual, yet small-scale, war between the two local nations. Water Orcs, Fire Elves, Humans, and Lizardfolk are common races, while Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, and Goblins are less common.

The character himself:

Archivist 3/Wizard 1/Mystic Theurge 7
An early-entry Mystic Theurge who is about to run out of Mystic Theurge levels. I know MT is a sub-par choice overall, but the campaign started with only two PCs, and I felt it would be a good way to help carry the melee guy during the middle levels.

Mostly looking for prestige class suggestions to add to this character that maybe take him in a direction that feels more natural, divine, or naval. I was looking at the Divine Disciple PrC, but that requires a patron deity, which Archivists do not have... Are there other PrCs like Divine Disciple with looser entry requirement?

And, if not, then are there PrCs that might help this character thrive in a natural setting? His survival skills are quite lacking, and sometimes the party splits up for days at a time...

Or, otherwise, I suppose I am just asking for good ideas for a pretty typical Mystic Theurge.

Cheers

If you're an Elf or Half-Elf (given your base classes, I'm guessing Human or Elf), you need to get 8 ranks in Survival (and 4 ranks in 2 other skills) and get a level of Wildrunner. This gives you Trackless Step and then you qualify for Arcane Hierophant to continue advancing both your classes.

Oh, and just because an Archivist doesn't require a patron deity, doesn't mean you can't have one.

Denver
2017-03-15, 12:47 PM
If you're an Elf or Half-Elf (given your base classes, I'm guessing Human or Elf), you need to get 8 ranks in Survival (and 4 ranks in 2 other skills) and get a level of Wildrunner. This gives you Trackless Step and then you qualify for Arcane Hierophant to continue advancing both your classes.

I am indeed an Elf - the "Fire Elf" variant found in Unearthed Arcana. And Wildrunner to Arcane Heirophant is a fantastic tip, thank you!

Oh, and just because an Archivist doesn't require a patron deity, doesn't mean you can't have one.

I don't want to argue just to argue, but aren't Clerics (and their variants) the only characters who can have "patron" deities? Anyone can worship any deity, sure, but a deity is not a patron to a character unless the deity actually gives something (like spellcasting), right?

Khedrac
2017-03-15, 02:28 PM
I don't want to argue just to argue, but aren't Clerics (and their variants) the only characters who can have "patron" deities? Anyone can worship any deity, sure, but a deity is not a patron to a character unless the deity actually gives something (like spellcasting), right?
Not in most campaigns.

Take the Forgotten Realms - characters without a patron deity who die are condemned to the Wall of the Faithless. All a "patron deity" really means is that the character is dedicated to one particulalr deity rather than honour most or all of a pantheon as the season/circumstances dictate.

Denver
2017-03-15, 02:35 PM
Not in most campaigns.

Take the Forgotten Realms - characters without a patron deity who die are condemned to the Wall of the Faithless. All a "patron deity" really means is that the character is dedicated to one particulalr deity rather than honour most or all of a pantheon as the season/circumstances dictate.

Is there a rules quote to support that? Again, not to be argumentative, but because it affects this character.

Is "Patron Deity" a defined game term that can encompass this Mystic Theurge, or is its usage a bit more casual? Because if is the latter case, then I already know the DM will answer with my above issue: anyone can worship a god, but a god is not a patron to a character without actually granting something - "Patron Deity" v "Deity."

EDIT:

I was looking through the Player's Guide to Faerun for a useful quote, thought maybe the good ol' PHB would have something good to offer - it surely does:

Your character may or may not have a patron deity.

This helps! Thanks for the input on patronage, guys! :D