PDA

View Full Version : Is there a guide of UA ranking/ratings?

Dhuraal
2017-03-15, 10:39 AM
This is a pretty broad question, but people in games I play in have a habit of looking at UA and treating it as officially fleshed out material akin to a sourcebook. I try and reemphasize that it is not but to mostly no avail.

When a new UA comes out there is a lot of discussion of the new material, but that only lasts so long. Has anyone seen or created a kind of guide for the UA coming out with the general consensus of how good or useful it is. Mostly thinking of classes/class options and races here. Something to point the DM to give help him decide if he should allow that feature or not. That kind of thing.

I am guessing this is no, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Laserlight
2017-03-15, 12:29 PM
This is a pretty broad question, but people in games I play in have a habit of looking at UA and treating it as officially fleshed out material akin to a sourcebook. I try and reemphasize that it is not but to mostly no avail.

When a new UA comes out there is a lot of discussion of the new material, but that only lasts so long. Has anyone seen or created a kind of guide for the UA coming out with the general consensus of how good or useful it is. Mostly thinking of classes/class options and races here. Something to point the DM to give help him decide if he should allow that feature or not. That kind of thing.

I am guessing this is no, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518216-Unearthed-Arcana-The-good-the-bad-and-the-broken)?

MrFahrenheit
2017-03-15, 12:43 PM
Having DMed a 5e campaign for two years (and DMed in general for 12), my view on UA is this: some options are more balanced than others, but all are unbalanced in some way. It's amusing to peek at, but if it ain't in published material, it ain't in my game either.

Oramac
2017-03-15, 12:56 PM
Something like this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?518216-Unearthed-Arcana-The-good-the-bad-and-the-broken)?

Yea. That discussion is about the only real "ranking" that I'm aware of.

That being said, you could just allow UA on a case-by-case basis. Some of it is surprisingly well balanced. Some of it is wildly overpowered. Some of it is tragically underpowered.

When a player brings it to you, just determine how (or if) it fits your world, and what rules you might put in place if you were to allow it. For example: you might say it's ok to play an Undying Light Warlock, but only if the player does not multiclass.