PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed How Does Kelpstrand Work?

Gale
2017-03-15, 12:15 PM
I have a couple questions about how Kelpstrand works.

1.) Are there any circumstances in which the spell may end prematurely? If the user misses with their ranged touch attack or the opponent succeeds on its check to avoid being grappled, does the spell end, or is the caster allowed to make additional attempts for the full duration of spell?

2.) If the user is allowed additional attempts at grappling the opponent, do these new attempts require a standard action to enact? The spells says, "Once you shoot your strands of kelp, you need not take any action to maintain the effect." But I'm not sure if this still counts if the spell initially missed.

Venger
2017-03-20, 10:34 PM
I have a couple questions about how Kelpstrand works.

1.) Are there any circumstances in which the spell may end prematurely? If the user misses with their ranged touch attack or the opponent succeeds on its check to avoid being grappled, does the spell end, or is the caster allowed to make additional attempts for the full duration of spell?

2.) If the user is allowed additional attempts at grappling the opponent, do these new attempts require a standard action to enact? The spells says, "Once you shoot your strands of kelp, you need not take any action to maintain the effect." But I'm not sure if this still counts if the spell initially missed.

1) you only begin grappling your foe if you hit, so if you miss, you don't progress further. you can't make additional attacks after the initial one like with, say, produce flame

2) you aren't.