PDA

View Full Version : Is there a general Language for Plane Travel?

Edgerunner
2017-03-15, 06:00 PM
Going to be Plane Hopping in a new Campaign.

Is there a Language that would be appropriate for many of them?

Toofey
2017-03-15, 06:08 PM
There's this one language that's really common on a lot of planes, seems like pretty much anywhere most of the common people speak it.

Sicarius Victis
2017-03-15, 06:30 PM
You can always rely on at least somebody speaking Common, of course. Beyond that, there's no "unified extraplanar language", so to speak. Different planes do have common languages, though. The Outer Planes often use Abyssal, Celestial, or Infernal, though more strongly lawful/chaotic ones might use different languages. Sylvan is the language of the Faewild, of course. Elemental planes use dialects of Primordial. Beyond that, I can't think of anything.

Naanomi
2017-03-15, 06:38 PM
Traditionally there has been a 'planar cant' that is spoken in Sigil (often the same as 'common' on any given Prime), but translation magic is often very commonly relied upon as well

Typhon
2017-03-15, 06:50 PM
Traditionally there has been a 'planar cant' that is spoken in Sigil (often the same as 'common' on any given Prime), but translation magic is often very commonly relied upon as well

The planar cant is mostly just a lot of slang that people unused to it will think is a different language. Kind of like how spanish in a border town is more a mix of english and spanish than actually being accurately called spanish. You dark cutter.

Naanomi
2017-03-15, 07:12 PM
The planar cant is mostly just a lot of slang that people unused to it will think is a different language. Kind of like how spanish in a border town is more a mix of english and spanish than actually being accurately called spanish. You dark cutter.

Bar that you addle-cove leatherhead. Any blood worth his jink knows the chant is that 'cant' can also be the trade tongue rattled off in the cage, there's no dark to it at all.

Typhon
2017-03-15, 07:16 PM
Bar that you addle-cove leatherhead. Any blood worth his jink knows the chant is that 'cant' can also be the trade tongue rattled off in the cage, there's no dark to it at all.

Don't go acting like one of the Chaosmen with me or I will be calling the Hardheads.

Kane0
2017-03-15, 07:21 PM
1 Level in GoO warlock, or comprehend languages. Linguist feat if you are truly desperate.

NecroDancer
2017-03-15, 07:46 PM
1 Level in GoO warlock, or comprehend languages. Linguist feat if you are truly desperate.

You'd have to be addle-cove to waste a feat like that and I wouldn't want to tie myself to some barmy power just to rattle my bone box. I'd rather just use a spell like any old cutter.

Addaran
2017-03-15, 07:47 PM
Even if it's not a Sigil campaign, you could just invent the one language that is common to all plane hoppers. Something to do with the magic or technology to plane hop. (akin to how dragonic used to be the magic language by default). It wouldn't actually help the travelers when speaking with the normal peoples (especially if FR's common is different then Eberron's common for example) but when they do meet other plane hoppers, they could communicate with them. Using the language would be a way to identify others who are in the known, kinda like if in Harry Potter you ask someone if they like quidditch, you could see subtly if they are a muggle or a wizard.

Honest Tiefling
2017-03-15, 07:50 PM
I'm going to vote for spreading Celestial/Abyssal/Infernal across your group. Not only are aligned outsiders super common, but many groups of interest across the planes want to speak to them at some point.

You can also pitch it to your DM as a tactic to share the spotlight, to see if that convinces him to play along.

Kane0
2017-03-15, 09:04 PM
Oh, I forgot the best one: Astral Babelfish.
Very convenient.

Typhon
2017-03-16, 08:22 AM
Well anyone who is anyone traveling the upper planes will know Celestial darling. It is just the thing to do if you want to be somebody.

Traveling the lower planes is a dangerous affair from the start. Best to know Infernal and Abyssal. It also helps to be quick with your wits and slow with your temperament. Devils may not kill you outright but they love the long game, and demons can turn on you as quickly as truck stop sushi.

Primordial, it is like Chinese but with fewer dialects. Not picking on Chinese, I just happen to know there are 2-3 major dialects and then it breaks down into a great number of more regional dialects.

Sylvan for the Feywild, druid-tongue for druids everywhere, thieves cant for thieves who admit what they are. I don't know if there is a language for the Shadowfell, best use undercommon.

Did I miss anything. Oh and Deep if you want to talk to a beholder or mind flayer in something that mind be miss understood and have you killed. Draconic might be the most universal as, well you know, dragons tend to exist where ever they want. Heh, it is funny to think that Draconic could be the common of the planar traveler.

Coffee_Dragon
2017-03-16, 02:02 PM
I've been running a plane-hopping mini campaign and have been handwaving language as Cosmic Common, since it's not addressed at all in the adapted source material and I don't think it would be an interesting wrinkle.