PDA

View Full Version : Zappin foes

80sSkeletor
2017-03-15, 07:05 PM
So there's a monster I want to play with some limitation. Their main attack is a touch but I want to be a ranged character. Is there a way to turn a natural weapon ranged? Also, the attack is electricity based if that helps. Its a wisp

jmax
2017-03-15, 07:15 PM
So there's a monster I want to play with some limitation. Their main attack is a touch but I want to be a ranged character. Is there a way to turn a natural weapon ranged?

Blood wind from Spell Compendium (p. 33). 1st-level spell for clerics, sorcerers, and wizards. Swift action, lasts one round, lets the subject take a full attack as though its natural weapons had a 20-foot range increment.

I've never used it because it seems too weird, but it does just about exactly what you want. Grab a wand and go to town.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-03-15, 09:02 PM
Buy an Amulet of Mighty Fists and enchant it with Throwing. Your natural weapon gains a range increment of 10ft and can be thrown. What does that mean in practice? Who the **** knows*.

*For some value of "may actually work." Some terms and conditions may apply.

ATHATH
2017-03-15, 09:29 PM
Ask a Cleric buddy to cast a Persisted Blood Wind on you every morning. Boom, problem solved. While you're at it, if the Cleric uses Divine Metamagic: Persist, have him cast a Persisted Spell Immunity on you every day as well to cover up your weakness to Magic Missile.

Venger
2017-03-15, 09:44 PM
So there's a monster I want to play with some limitation. Their main attack is a touch but I want to be a ranged character. Is there a way to turn a natural weapon ranged? Also, the attack is electricity based if that helps. Its a wisp

do you mean a will o' wisp, or something else?

Buy an Amulet of Mighty Fists and enchant it with Throwing. Your natural weapon gains a range increment of 10ft and can be thrown. What does that mean in practice? Who the **** knows*.
That works perfectly, but use a necklace of natural weapons instead, the amulet is ridiculously expensive. make sure you spring for returning as well.

Ask a Cleric buddy to cast a Persisted Blood Wind on you every morning. Boom, problem solved. While you're at it, if the Cleric uses Divine Metamagic: Persist, have him cast a Persisted Spell Immunity on you every day as well to cover up your weakness to Magic Missile.

persistent spell won't work on blood wind. its range isn't fixed.

but don't worry, that just means you need to make it an ocular spell first. it'll work then.

jmax
2017-03-16, 06:13 AM
make sure you spring for returning as well.

On a will-o-wisp, one might actually be able to get away without Returning - only because it's the electricity that gets thrown (never mind the physics of that...) rather than a piece of the wisp's body.

Of course, the will-o-wisp lacks a neck around which to wear a necklace, so I guess it'll be more of a girdle :-P

If this is going to be a monster with class levels, another option might be playing a warlock and using Eldritch Blast.