PDA

View Full Version : List of hallow effects?

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-03-15, 08:11 PM
Obviously, there's the list of effects you can attach to hallow in the spell text itself, but has anyone worked up a list of rider effects outside of Core? I'm interested in seeing what abuses I can work up with the Permanent Emanation feat, turning into a "structure" for targeting purposes, and the hallow/unhallow riders. Not that at-will, free-action area dispels/counterspells and dimensional anchors aren't fantastic already...

Venger
2017-03-15, 10:49 PM
Obviously, there's the list of effects you can attach to hallow in the spell text itself, but has anyone worked up a list of rider effects outside of Core? I'm interested in seeing what abuses I can work up with the Permanent Emanation feat, turning into a "structure" for targeting purposes, and the hallow/unhallow riders. Not that at-will, free-action area dispels/counterspells and dimensional anchors aren't fantastic already...

While the intent of the spell was no doubt to "trap" an area for enemies so they get fireballed or whatever, that's not a particularly worthwhile use of the spell given the difficulty of luring enemies back to a specific tiny area. Besides, anyone worth targeting with such a complicated plan would be able to detect there was a hallow/unhallow on the area and make an educated guess about what you were up to

It'd amount to lists of good spells, so I haven't been able to find a ready-made source. That said, they'd probably fall into a couple of categories:

Curatives
things like heal, last breath, rejuvenation cocoon, panacea, true res, the vigor line, etc

Moneymakers
Wall of iron, flesh to salt, major creation, etc

Buffs
Consumptive field, protection/immunity spells, spell immunity, death ward, sheltered vitality, etc

also, while not in a particular category, you should definitely seek out spells with costly material and/or xp components, such as wish or miracle, since it doesn't require that to be paid after the initial casting.

weckar
2017-03-16, 09:13 AM
Luring is an issue, sure. Putting it in a bottleneck that you're going to be funneling enemies down anyway may be far better.

Ettina
2017-03-16, 10:56 AM
Luring is an issue, sure. Putting it in a bottleneck that you're going to be funneling enemies down anyway may be far better.

Or you could put the McGuffin within the affected area.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-03-16, 04:50 PM
Err... I think you're all missing my point, here.

Hit yourself with a hallow effect while you are a "structure." Use Permanent Emanation to toggle it on and off at will. It won't matter if you're an illegal target after it's already on you, since it's already on you.

Why lure them to you when you can simply go to them?

Venger
2017-03-16, 05:48 PM
Err... I think you're all missing my point, here.

Hit yourself with a hallow effect while you are a "structure." Use Permanent Emanation to toggle it on and off at will. It won't matter if you're an illegal target after it's already on you, since it's already on you.

Why lure them to you when you can simply go to them?

or just cast it on a small building, permanency shrink item, and carry it around in your bag of holding/pocket so you can make use of this pre-epic.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-03-16, 05:54 PM
or just cast it on a small building, permanency shrink item, and carry it around in your bag of holding/pocket so you can make use of this pre-epic.Take the Landlord feat and start enhancing it as a magic item. As a mid-level option, you can wear a psychoactive skin of proteus, turn yourself into a building, and then throw your Landlord money at yourself in the form of magic item effects.

Venger
2017-03-16, 07:25 PM
Take the Landlord feat and start enhancing it as a magic item. As a mid-level option, you can wear a psychoactive skin of proteus, turn yourself into a building, and then throw your Landlord money at yourself in the form of magic item effects.

they said I could be anything. so I became the cube

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-03-23, 01:55 PM
I got to considering, and I think adding some metamagic effects to the spell to be rendered permanent through Permanent Emanation could lead to some rather broken combos. For instance, if you are, say, a StP erudite with Linked Power, Linking to, say, synchronicity means that you can get yourself an extra standard action as a free action, though it goes off next round. With multiple effects rendered permanent and multiple free actions available to use, that means you gain extra standard actions every turn.

Crake
2017-03-23, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately the area for hallow is not an emnation from a "structure or building" it's a "touched point". You aren't a point, and thus the spell cannot emnate from you, making it an invalid target for permanent emnation, since it needs to emnate from you, sorry.

Zancloufer
2017-03-23, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately the area for hallow is not an emnation from a "structure or building" it's a "touched point". You aren't a point, and thus the spell cannot emnate from you, making it an invalid target for permanent emnation, since it needs to emnate from you, sorry.

Hallow makes a particular site, building, or structure a holy site. This has four major effects.

A geometric element that has zero dimensions and a location determinable by an ordered set of coordinates. A narrowly localized place having a precisely indicated. A particular place

The "touched point" is where the 40ft radius emanates from. Said point must be in/part of a building or site. If anything that makes casting it on a tiny building and carrying it with you more abusable instead of the spell being limited to the interior or something.

Also I'm pretty sure the geometric definition of point (which is the only one that makes sense) can move. It is merely a 0 dimensional object defined by a series of coordinates.

Bronk
2017-03-24, 07:43 AM
The "touched point" is where the 40ft radius emanates from. Said point must be in/part of a building or site. If anything that makes casting it on a tiny building and carrying it with you more abusable instead of the spell being limited to the interior or something.

Also I'm pretty sure the geometric definition of point (which is the only one that makes sense) can move. It is merely a 0 dimensional object defined by a series of coordinates.

Unfortunately, the point chosen for the target of area spells has to be a particular grid intersection.

Troacctid
2017-03-24, 01:08 PM
I checked a while back—there are no non-core spells that can be incorporated into a Hallow, at least not that I'm aware of. Just the list in the spell. You'd have to ask your DM and research a new version of the spell.

Jowgen
2017-03-24, 01:32 PM
I'm a big fan of Hallow abuse. Based on my relatively extensive scouring, the only piece of RAW text that sorta expands on the spell description itself is from SBG:

Best of all, you can fix a programmable spell to the site with a duration of one year. [...] Some common choices (and the cost for an NPC spellcaster to provide them) are listed below.

It doesn't list any particular extra spells, but the "common choices" wording is a nice piece of support for the view that you can theoretically program any given spell into the Hallow. It also later on describes the spell as having "the ability to add the effects of certain spells to the affected area for a year." for whatever that is worth.

Crake
2017-03-25, 07:40 PM

Even if all of what you said is correct, the emnation is still not from "the building" which is what the OP was suggesting he turn himself into, it is emnating from a touched point inside the building. Even if the theoretical point moves, that doesn't change the fact that the emnation is still not coming from "you" which is what is required for permanent emnation to function.