PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Campaign Help

ProtonPiggy
2017-03-15, 08:15 PM
New DM, who needs help/suggestions with specific aspects of Campaign.

Campaign Discussion
Non-Combat Magic Item

1. I have one main world problem that is in the idea stage and needs flushing out. "The Chaos of Three" is the campaign name which the idea is playing off of. Three objects or people were magically sealed away and the players discover/find the 'keystones' to unlock them. One idea for it is that three adventures, who seeked godhood 'Dark Three' and achieved it 'Dead Three' were sealed away. [Before or After Godhood were sealed away?]

2. A Player has an item that they don't know is a magic item, but I need afew ideas about what to make it. (It's a jar.)
The jar needs to be non-combat based enchantment and is containing dirt & an earthworm [How does the enchantment affect the contents?]

The_Jette
2017-03-16, 03:16 PM
New DM, who needs help/suggestions with specific aspects of Campaign.

Campaign Discussion
Non-Combat Magic Item

1. I have one main world problem that is in the idea stage and needs flushing out. "The Chaos of Three" is the campaign name which the idea is playing off of. Three objects or people were magically sealed away and the players discover/find the 'keystones' to unlock them. One idea for it is that three adventures, who seeked godhood 'Dark Three' and achieved it 'Dead Three' were sealed away. [Before or After Godhood were sealed away?]

2. A Player has an item that they don't know is a magic item, but I need afew ideas about what to make it. (It's a jar.)
The jar needs to be non-combat based enchantment and is containing dirt & an earthworm [How does the enchantment affect the contents?]

You seem to have a strong idea with where you want the campaign to go. That's fine, as long as you're able to be flexible enough that your players end up not getting railroaded into your story. As for your "Dead Three" I have a few questions:
-Why would your characters go out of their way to unlock the keystones that are locking away three evil adventurer Gods? It sounds more like your BBEG's would be attempting to release the Gods in order to sew chaos, or something. So, stopping it? Probably. Trying to do it themselves? Probably not.
-Is the campaign built for evil characters?
-Have you considered making it three items and three individuals? Like, you need to gather all the items and all the individuals, then use the items to slay the individuals, which would unlock the God inside them? That even gives you the perfect option for what the items would be, as it would be the magical equipment/weapons that the adventurers used to ascend, which are regular +1 weapons, or a small staff of fireballs (level 5) useable once a day that the party can use, but once they're back in the hands of the Gods they're Ultimate Level Artifacts of Destruction!!!

As for the magic item, what about making it a Pot of Agriculture. Any plant you put into it will grow without water and be ready to harvest in one week, regardless of outside climate. But, you can only harvest enough food to feed one person for one week, and only if it was an edible plant. If you put a seed for a tree, it only grows as large as a bush. All the fruits/vegetables/flowers/etc that are planted in it produce one viable seed per fruit/vegetable/flower/etc that is grown. So, if you grow a little apple tree, and it produces twenty apples, you can have twenty seeds. It's a pretty nice magic item, but almost useless in combat. Plus, it's as fragile as a normal jar, so it's easy to "accidentally" break if they try to abuse it somehow.