PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Green-flame blade and warcaster + sword and board

Marcloure
2017-03-15, 09:48 PM
It's a short yes or no question.
I am looking into build a Valor bard, and GFB is a spell that I'm looking to grab with Magic Initiate feat. But GFB has (V, M) components, so it can't be casted if the caster wields a sword and a shield, even with the Warcaster feat. Is that right?

Naanomi
2017-03-15, 09:51 PM
False, because you have the material component (a weapon) in your hand so you can use it for the somatics (of which there are none) and it *is* the material

Paeleus
2017-03-15, 09:53 PM
The material component is a weapon, so I'd say you wouldn't need War Caster to cast it during your action.

Note: it has to be a weapon without the reach property to coincide with GFB range of 5 feet.

Marcloure
2017-03-15, 09:54 PM
Thanks. I haven't noticed that the material component is the very weapon, and so I don't need other hand to hold the Materials.

AttilatheYeon
2017-03-16, 01:38 AM
The material component is a weapon, so I'd say you wouldn't need War Caster to cast it during your action.

Note: it has to be a weapon without the reach property to coincide with GFB range of 5 feet.

U can still use a reach weapon, u just cant cast the spell against targets past 5 feet. Reach weapons can be used against targets adjacent now.

NNescio
2017-03-16, 03:13 AM
U can still use a reach weapon, u just cant cast the spell against targets past 5 feet. Reach weapons can be used against targets adjacent now.

Well, you could GFB at 10 ft with a Reach weapon if you have the Spell Sniper feat. Not sure if this is worth the feat though.

(Spell Sniper BB might be though.)