PDA

View Full Version : Need help for Ranger/Psion gish for PbP

danielxcutter
2017-03-15, 10:23 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?515903-(3-5)-Obsidian-Ocean-Recruiting-up-to-5-Players

Entering as candidate for this PbP game.

Incomplete build here. (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1144568) Not really thinking of changing feats, but would like advice for powers.

Intended build: Ranger 2/Psion(Egoist) 8/Slayer 10.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-16, 12:40 AM
Abjurant Champion in Complete Mage specifically says it can be adapted to a psionic class, applying its AC bonus to Inertial Armor and Force Screen.

Sanctified Mind in Lords of Madness is another good choice, if you don't mind losing one more manifester level. You can get its feat prerequisite from the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel.

Consider going Ranger 1/ Psion 6 into your prestige class(es), and use the Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant from UA to get Fast Movement.

Get a Deep Crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm) weapon and you can spend two powerpoints to get +2d6 damage on an attack, in addition to Psionic Weapon.

Be sure to get a psicrystal, probably Nimble or Single-Minded. Every day put Share Pain on it so you'll take half damage from all sources, its Hardness 8 will mitigate the damage it takes from Share Pain. Keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents never have line of sight or line of effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. Give it a Healing Belt which it can use on you when needed, wondrous items resize to fit the wearer. You can share Vigor with the psicrystal for a nice temporary hp cushion.

Given your ability scores, consider making your character a Warforged with Adamantine Body. It doesn't count you as being heavily armored, so you'll still benefit from Wildshape Ranger Fast Movement, Speed of Thought, etc. and you can still use skills like Tumble. You can trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), even. Not to mention their natural slam attack adds x1.5 Str to damage if you're not using any other weapons, you can get Psionic Minor Creation and cover yourself in black lotus extract (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison), heal yourself and the psicrystal with Psionic Repair Damage, etc.

Consider taking Midnight Augmentation from Magic of Incarnum and get a second point of essentia (another Incarnum feat, Azurin race, etc.) and using that with Bestow Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bestowPower.htm) will make the augmentation cost one powerpoint to increase the bestowed amount by two. Spending five powerpoint on it you can bestow six on yourself, allowing you to recharge your powerpoint reserve between encounters as long as you end a fight with at least five remaining. Further augmenting it at higher manifester levels allows you to recharge faster, spending six bestows eight, spending seven bestows ten, etc.

Get Solicit Psicrystal and Control Body, manifest Control Body targeting yourself and use Solicit Psicrystal so your psicrystal takes over concentration on it. Your psicrystal can then cause your character to attack every round, occupying your physical actions, leaving your mind free to manifest powers every round. You can also use Schism to have a second set of mental actions for manifesting even more powers, such as a fresh Vigor every time the current one runs out.

Edit: Persistent Power in the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (+8 powerpoint cost) is still valid for use in 3.5 by RAW, since it wasn't reprinted or replaced by something else. You'll need to make it also require expending psionic focus to bring it up to date with other 3.5 metapsionic feats, but it's definitely a viable choice in the higher levels, especially with the Bestow Power trick.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 01:12 AM
Abjurant Champion in Complete Mage specifically says it can be adapted to a psionic class, applying its AC bonus to Inertial Armor and Force Screen.

Sanctified Mind in Lords of Madness is another good choice, if you don't mind losing one more manifester level. You can get its feat prerequisite from the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel.

Nah, I think I got lucky just by being a psionic character. The GM seemed reluctant to allow them at first. Plus I don't think I'll really *need* them.

Consider going Ranger 1/ Psion 6 into your prestige class(es), and use the Wildshape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant from UA to get Fast Movement.

I'm already using the Strong-Arm combat style ACF, which gets me Power Attack as a Ranger bonus feat. I mean, Inertial Armor is already good enough.

Get a Deep Crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm) weapon and you can spend two powerpoints to get +2d6 damage on an attack, in addition to Psionic Weapon.

We're starting as prisoners on a slave ship, so I won't be able to have one at character creation... but I could convince the GM to give me one eventually. I plan to invest in crafting, as we'll be short on items at first.

Be sure to get a psicrystal, probably Nimble or Single-Minded. Every day put Share Pain on it so you'll take half damage from all sources, its Hardness 8 will mitigate the damage it takes from Share Pain. Keep it in a compartment on your person so opponents never have line of sight or line of effect to it and cannot target it directly or hit it with area effects. Give it a Healing Belt which it can use on you when needed, wondrous items resize to fit the wearer. You can share Vigor with the psicrystal for a nice temporary hp cushion.

I was planning to get a psicrystal later, but yes, I know about the Vigor+Share Pain+Psicrystal combo that gives the manifester roughly 10 effective temporary hit points per power point. And yes, I intend to set that up later. I think I'll be getting an Artisan one, as I'll be doing some crafting.

Given your ability scores, consider making your character a Warforged with Adamantine Body. It doesn't count you as being heavily armored, so you'll still benefit from Wildshape Ranger Fast Movement, Speed of Thought, etc. and you can still use skills like Tumble. You can trade Ride for Tumble as a class skill (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), even. Not to mention their natural slam attack adds x1.5 Str to damage if you're not using any other weapons, you can get Psionic Minor Creation and cover yourself in black lotus extract (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison), heal yourself and the psicrystal with Psionic Repair Damage, etc.

Not only am I not sure if Warforged will be allowed at all, Adamantine Body specifically counts as heavy armor. Plus, I need Psionic Meditation to use my psionic focus properly and Warforged have a -2 Wis penalty.

Consider taking Midnight Augmentation from Magic of Incarnum and get a second point of essentia (another Incarnum feat, Azurin race, etc.) and using that with Bestow Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bestowPower.htm) will make the augmentation cost one powerpoint to increase the bestowed amount by two. Spending five powerpoint on it you can bestow six on yourself, allowing you to recharge your powerpoint reserve between encounters as long as you end a fight with at least five remaining. Further augmenting it at higher manifester levels allows you to recharge faster, spending six bestows eight, spending seven bestows ten, etc.

I think the GM already disallowed MoI. I could be wrong, but I don't think I should risk it. Plus, just thinking of using that combo makes me feel dirty inside.

Get Solicit Psicrystal and Control Body, manifest Control Body targeting yourself and use Solicit Psicrystal so your psicrystal takes over concentration on it. Your psicrystal can then cause your character to attack every round, occupying your physical actions, leaving your mind free to manifest powers every round. You can also use Schism to have a second set of mental actions for manifesting even more powers, such as a fresh Vigor every time the current one runs out.

Yuuuuup, looks like someone also thought I should be doing this. Not sure if the GM will allow this, but I'm sure that there are other uses of both powers besides this combo.

What powers should I have at character creation? I've chosen:

1st level - Vigor, Inertial Armor, Entangling Ectoplasm, Ectoplasmic Repair, ???

2nd level - Share Pain, Empathic Transfer, ???, ???

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-16, 01:48 AM
Crystal Shard s a superb power for scaling damage that bypasses DR/Magic. Energy Ray is a suitable replacement that also easily damages objects.

Energy Adaptation, Specified is good to have on hand, especially once you're high enough level to augment it to an immediate action.

Energy Stun can be useful for damaging and stunning multiple opponents, and remember that creatures drop what they're holding when stunned. It can't damage objects though, and it's a bit redundant if you get Energy Ray. Swarm of Crystals is useful when you need to do area effect damage, which you may need in the low levels, but don't get it if you take Crystal Shard.

Endure Elements, Psionic has a range of touch, so you may want to pick that up to use on the party when needed, at least until everyone gets the effect from an item like a Least Crystal of Adaptation in MIC.

Remember that as soon as you learn a 4th level power, you can pick Psychic Reformation, manifest it on any party members that need to repick something, then manifest it on yourself to repick any of your feats, skills, or powers including picking a different 4th level power. You can do this any time you learn a new power from leveling up, but don't do it often due to the xp cost, and preferably get your party to pay the standard 5 gp per 1 xp you have to spend to use it on them.

I was going from memory on Adamantine Body, I knew you could tumble in it but that's just because you're not slowed down due to being armored.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 03:00 AM
Crystal Shard s a superb power for scaling damage that bypasses DR/Magic. Energy Ray is a suitable replacement that also easily damages objects.

Hmmm... I suppose I could manifest Crystal Shard a few times in secret and use the shards as improvised daggers? Depends on whether the GM's going to use the CPsi nerfs.

Energy Adaptation, Specified is good to have on hand, especially once you're high enough level to augment it to an immediate action.

Hmmm... what level was that, again? Sounds nice, but I'll have to check if any of the casters have Protection from Energy.

Energy Stun can be useful for damaging and stunning multiple opponents, and remember that creatures drop what they're holding when stunned. It can't damage objects though, and it's a bit redundant if you get Energy Ray. Swarm of Crystals is useful when you need to do area effect damage, which you may need in the low levels, but don't get it if you take Crystal Shard.

Energy Stun was nerfed in CPsi, so it's not a guaranteed pick, and Swarm of Crystals is nice, but I'm going to be a gish. Then again, there are plenty of martial characters as candidates, plus the nature of psionics means I have a little wiggle room for getting other powers.

Endure Elements, Psionic has a range of touch, so you may want to pick that up to use on the party when needed, at least until everyone gets the effect from an item like a Least Crystal of Adaptation in MIC.

I think Endure Elements is a Cleric spell, and one of the candidates is a Dwarf Paragon 3/Cleric 3. Plus I don't know if we'll need it. I wonder if the GM will allow me to substitute psionic powers for their magical counterparts when crafting.

Remember that as soon as you learn a 4th level power, you can pick Psychic Reformation, manifest it on any party members that need to repick something, then manifest it on yourself to repick any of your feats, skills, or powers including picking a different 4th level power. You can do this any time you learn a new power from leveling up, but don't do it often due to the xp cost, and preferably get your party to pay the standard 5 gp per 1 xp you have to spend to use it on them.

Cheese overload! That might not be enough to kick me out of the party, but I don't want to powergame too much.

I was going from memory on Adamantine Body, I knew you could tumble in it but that's just because you're not slowed down due to being armored.

Actually, you can tumble in armor, if I remember correctly. You just take a penalty to the skill check.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 07:48 PM
Bumping. I need powers to take at character creation, not to take later.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:04 PM
If you're going to play a psionic gish that multi-classes... why not be an Ardent? They can multiclass really well due to the way that they interact with the Practiced Manifester feat, get a 3/4 BAB progression, and can use the Substitute Powers ACF to pick up some neato gish powers from the Psychic Warrior list.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-16, 08:11 PM
A gish needs buffs, a few crowd controls, and a few utility and situational spells/powers.

You can pick up some or all of Defensive Precognition, Offensive Precognition, and Offensive Prescience, plus Thicken Skin, for user later on.

There aren't a lot of good low level crowd controls, psioncs don't get Web or Glitterdust equivalents, but Time Hop is a must-have once you can get it.

Energy Ray for damaging objects and providing a variety of damage types (considering regeneration) covers a lot of situations and utility needs.

Animal Affinity is a decent buff that stays useful for a while, and qualifies you for crafting every type of ability score enhancing item.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:18 PM
Also, why are you even dipping Ranger at all? Just pick up Track with a feat slot and save a ML.

If you insist on sticking with Ranger, take Arcanists as your first Favored Enemy. Enemy Sense combos well with that.

Finally, remember (and remind your DM of) the #1 rule of Psionics: You can't spend more PP on a power (the base cost of the power+any augmentations) than your ML.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 08:22 PM
If you're going to play a psionic gish that multi-classes... why not be an Ardent? They can multiclass really well due to the way that they interact with the Practiced Manifester feat, get a 3/4 BAB progression, and can use an ACF to pick up some neato powers from the Psychic Warrior list.

Already set the character sheet in stone. I think I got lucky getting a psionic class at all. Plus I doubt the GM will allow that.

A gish needs buffs, a few crowd controls, and a few utility and situational spells/powers.

You can pick up some or all of Defensive Precognition, Offensive Precognition, and Offensive Prescience, plus Thicken Skin, for user later on.

There aren't a lot of good low level crowd controls, psioncs don't get Web or Glitterdust equivalents, but Time Hop is a must-have once you can get it.

Energy Ray for damaging objects and providing a variety of damage types (considering regeneration) covers a lot of situations and utility needs.

Animal Affinity is a decent buff that stays useful for a while, and qualifies you for crafting every type of ability score enhancing item.

I have two remaining 1st level powers and one 2nd to select.

What I've chose:

1st - Vigor, Inertial Armor, Entangling Ectoplasm.

2nd - Share Pain, Empathic Transfer, Animal Affinity.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:22 PM
I don't suppose that a Psychic Warrior would be accepted?

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 08:27 PM
Also, why are you even dipping Ranger at all? Just pick up Track with a feat slot and save a ML.

If you insist on sticking with Ranger, take Arcanists as your first Favored Enemy. Enemy Sense combos well with that.

Finally, remember (and remind your DM of) the #1 rule of Psionics: You can't spend more PP on a power (the base cost of the power+any augmentations) than your ML.

Let's see... bonus feat(I'm using the Strong-Arm combat style ACF), Survival and Knowledge(dungeoneering) as class skills, plus I can enter Slayer next level if the GM allows it.

I don't really want to pick up Arcanists as a favored enemy. It doesn't fit the character that well.

And I think the GM knows the rule. He disallowed Soulknife because of the mind blade class feature and we're supposed to be slaves on a slave ship without anything but the clothes on our backs and maybe a dagger or club we managed to get somehow. Not because he thought psionics were overpowered in general. That sounds like someone who knows what he's doing.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:42 PM
Can you take the Solitary Hunting ACF? It'll let you add your FE bonus to your attack rolls (against your favored enemies).

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:44 PM
Keep in mind that having a race/organization/whatever as a Favored Enemy doesn't mean that you hate members of that thing, only that you know them well and/or recognize their power.

Psyren
2017-03-16, 08:45 PM
Synchronicity, one of the Precognitions, Detect Hostile Intent. All rated highly in the handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0)

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:46 PM
Since you're likely to be in foreign areas a lot, consider taking the Voice of the City ACF.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:56 PM
The Change Shape and True Healer ACFs might be nice for you (it depends on what you're using those bonus feats for).

The Psicrystal Enhancement "ACF" (you lose nothing by taking it except for the XP and GP spent to use it) lets you spend some XP and GP to give your Psicrystal abilities that are based on your Psion level and your Psicrystal's personality type.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 08:58 PM
... You forgot to add your Psicrystal to your sheet.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 09:28 PM
I don't suppose that a Psychic Warrior would be accepted?

Probably would have, but I already decided on this build.

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 09:37 PM
Can you take the Solitary Hunting ACF? It'll let you add your FE bonus to your attack rolls (against your favored enemies).

Actually I can't - it requires me to swap my animal companion for it, which I'd only get at Ranger 4. I am not going to get to Ranger 4.

Keep in mind that having a race/organization/whatever as a Favored Enemy doesn't mean that you hate members of that thing, only that you know them well and/or recognize their power.

Yeah, but I don't feel like doing that, personally.

Synchronicity, one of the Precognitions, Detect Hostile Intent. All rated highly in the handbook. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0)

Hmm... not sure which of the Precognitions I should take, and I've heard too many rumors of Synchronicity abuse to risk it, but Detect Hostile Intent seems nice. I'll consider it.

Since you're likely to be in foreign areas a lot, consider taking the Voice of the City ACF.

We'll probably be spending most of the campaign in boats/ships. I doubt we'll ever even set foot in one.

The Change Shape and True Healer ACFs might be nice for you (it depends on what you're using those bonus feats for).

Using the first bonus feat, so Change Shape is out, and I'm only going to choose the True Healer one if I don't get into Slayer right away. If I do, on the other hand...

[quote]The Psicrystal Enhancement "ACF" (you lose nothing by taking it except for the XP and GP spent to use it) lets you spend some XP and GP to give your Psicrystal abilities that are based on your Psion level and your Psicrystal's personality type.

... You forgot to add your Psicrystal to your sheet.

I don't have Psicrystal Affinity yet. I'm going to grab it with my 9th level feat.

Psyren
2017-03-16, 09:51 PM
The one you take should depend on whether you worry more about hitting or being hit. (I'd go with "hitting" personally since Psion will take a chunk out of your BAB compared to other melee classes.)

danielxcutter
2017-03-16, 09:53 PM
The one you take should depend on whether you worry more about hitting or being hit. (I'd go with "hitting" personally since Psion will take a chunk out of your BAB compared to other melee classes.)

Yeah, I might be a little squishy, but that's what Vigor and Inertial Armor are for - I need more offensive powers/buffs. Noted.

ATHATH
2017-03-16, 10:20 PM
Actually, for some inexplicable reason, the Solitary Hunting ACF is taken at 1st level, not 4th.

Have you asked your DM about changing your build, or are you just dreading remaking it? We could help you rebuild it, if you'd like.

Is your progression beyond 6th level set in stone, or can you change it?

danielxcutter
2017-03-17, 12:43 AM
Actually, for some inexplicable reason, the Solitary Hunting ACF is taken at 1st level, not 4th.

What? Seriously? I mean, most DMs wouldn't allow that, probably, but... I suppose that's probably a typo or something.

Have you asked your DM about changing your build, or are you just dreading remaking it? We could help you rebuild it, if you'd like.

Is your progression beyond 6th level set in stone, or can you change it?

I don't really want to redo it, besides the powers selected, partly because I'm not sure if he'll allow it and partly because I already put a metric buttload of work making it this far and I do not want to do that all over again.

DrMartin
2017-03-17, 02:53 AM
Campaign dependent, but Channel the Psychic Dragon and Call to Mind see a lot of use at my table.

It's generally considered subpar, but if ships are going to play an important part in the campaign, then the power summon elemental envoy could serve you well during your early levels: each kind of envoy grants you access to a useful low level power (control air, create sound, matter agitation) and/or movement mode, and they are smarter than astral constructs, so you can send them off as expendables on commando missions to sink / scout enemy ships.

Probably not a "power choice", but potentially a fun one.

danielxcutter
2017-03-17, 03:06 AM
Campaign dependent, but Channel the Psychic Dragon and Call to Mind see a lot of use at my table.

It's generally considered subpar, but if ships are going to play an important part in the campaign, then the power summon elemental envoy could serve you well during your early levels: each kind of envoy grants you access to a useful low level power (control air, create sound, matter agitation) and/or movement mode, and they are smarter than astral constructs, so you can send them off as expendables on commando missions to sink / scout enemy ships.

Probably not a "power choice", but potentially a fun one.

Hmmm... What level was that and where was it from again?

DrMartin
2017-03-17, 03:13 AM
Away from the books, but elemental steward is from complete psionic, channel the phychic dragon from dragon magic, and call to.mind from xph