PDA

View Full Version : Is this build viable?

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 01:34 AM
So i was thinking of a build that is very flavorful.Using the necropolitan template.

Barbarian 1/Sorc 10/Rage Mage 9

Using twilight feycraft mithril fullplate giving me 0%ASF and +9 AC i figured this will allow me to be pretty effective
in melee combat and spellcasting using the lord of uttercold combo feats which i know is feat hungry,but i could also
heal myself and summon undead with summon undead V.I liked the lord of uttercold necromancer build alot.Add some
strong magic items and weapons along with twin spell sounds like a good time. I love gish and i love necromancy so i've been trying to
combine those concepts,but im new to non vanilla builds though ive been playing a long time.I need something really
out of the box.Is this even viable at all?

Thaneus
2017-03-16, 02:12 AM
first off you still have 10% ASF:
Fullplate 35% ASF
Feycraft -5%
Twilight -10%
Mithril -10%

Aint bone knight more of a thing when going necromancing gish?

Dagroth
2017-03-16, 02:29 AM
Fullplate 35% ASF
Feycraft -5%
Twilight -10%
Mithril -10%

Meh... just get Twilight twice.

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 02:38 AM
Fullplate 35% ASF
Feycraft -5%
Twilight -10%
Mithril -10%

Thanks for pointing it out i guess i would take Twilight twice and the Necropolitan template gives you alot of what
the bone knight offers and its divine casting which i dont like just for flavor reasons.

Thaneus
2017-03-16, 02:52 AM
same source same check?
twilight twice wont work, since its the same bonus on a check twice (ASF is a check) it wont stack, so no, or you dm is very kind.
I would rule a improved variant with ASF -20% for a +3 though. (like the fortify line +1 for 25% +3 for 50% +5 for 100%)

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 03:10 AM
same source same check?
twilight twice wont work, since its the same bonus on a check twice (ASF is a check) it wont stack, so no, or you dm is very kind.
I would rule a improved variant with ASF -20% for a +3 though. (like the fortify line +1 for 25% +3 for 50% +5 for 100%)

That is a good way to do it! also though it just occured to me maybe Thistledown Padded Githcraft/Feycraft Mithral Chain Shirt: ASF of 0%? and cheaper im pretty sure.

weckar
2017-03-16, 03:52 AM
How stuck are you on sorcerer? Any of the fixed-list casters could fix your armor issue far more elegantly.

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 04:14 AM
How stuck are you on sorcerer? Any of the fixed-list casters could fix your armor issue far more elegantly.

I'm not particularly stuck on it or anything or in fact anything else.I'm open to any suggestions.

weckar
2017-03-16, 04:16 AM
Dread Necromancer seems it could fit your idea rather well. They can cast in light armor by default and with a single feat this can be upgraded to medium. Make your full plate mithril so it counts as medium and you're done.

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 04:33 AM
Dread Necromancer seems it could fit your idea rather well. They can cast in light armor by default and with a single feat this can be upgraded to medium. Make your full plate mithril so it counts as medium and you're done.

I do like the class and it was a good suggestion,but i didnt choose it because its spell list is somewhat limited and the self healing not that strong.Sorceror allows me to say use fire wall just for example my uttercold/admixture/energy substitution combo makes all my spells into cold and negative energy.if i cast this in front of me i can heal alot of health or if any of my summoned undead are in melee i can cast it there healing them and doing damage to the enemy at the same time.

weckar
2017-03-16, 04:39 AM
Necropolitan aren't immune to cold, are they? :smallconfused: Wouldn't the healing and damage cancel each other out?

DaggerEar
2017-03-16, 04:54 AM
Necropolitan aren't immune to cold, are they? :smallconfused: Wouldn't the healing and damage cancel each other out?

Oh yeah. I guess i was talking someone elses word that the combo would work on myself. I guess with
Beckon the frozen i can at least heal my summons.Hmm...

noce
2017-03-16, 05:22 AM
You'll have a single rage per day until lvl 14.
You'll have d6 on average, this is crappy.
You'll end with 12 BAB, this is crappier.
You'll lose 8th and 9th level spells, this is the crappiest.

Rage mage is really awful.

weckar
2017-03-16, 05:55 AM
Oh yeah. I guess i was talking someone elses word that the combo would work on myself. I guess with
Beckon the frozen i can at least heal my summons.Hmm...

Even then, I am quite sure only skeletal undead have this immunity. And Skeletals... not the worst, but certainly not the best option...