PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighting Styles

Aulerdar
2017-03-16, 03:21 AM
I will soon be running a campaign in 5e, i've run tests and read up a lot on the system, but I have not real experience DMing it. Two of my players have chosen characters that I would like to customise Fighting Styles for - The first wants a Ranger as a switch hitter, he wants to be equally balanced between melee and ranged, the second wants a dex fighter based around fencing, light armour, no shield

Ranger -
+1 bonus to attack rolls with ranged weapons and melee weapons with light property

Basically just splitting up archery style +2 bonus,
Alternatively
I thought +1 bonus to attack rolls with ranged weapons and 1+ bonus to damage rolls with melee finesse weapons
half duelist half archery style

Fencer -
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons or shield you gain +1 bonus to attack rolls and +1 bonus to damage rolls
(I feel this is inferior to duelist with a shield? maybe I should add +1Ac also?)
Alternatively
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons or shield you gain +2 Bonus to damage rolls and +1 Bonus to AC
(Not sure how powerful having a free hand is vs +1AC difference a shield and duelist would gain)

zeek0
2017-03-22, 07:32 AM
For fencer, I think it is quite fine. Additional to hit is in line with the style, and more powerful in many circumstances than additional damage. I like the 2nd option best.

For the ranger style, you might imagine something a bit different (although what you imagined is certainly balanced). For example, I think that the character would have trouble stowing/drawing weapons (it doesn't require an action to drop your weapon, but then you're just leaving your gear all ice the battlefield). And/or, let them use a ranged weapon as more than an improvised weapon, like in Arrow. Other ideas can abound.

Aulerdar
2017-03-28, 09:07 AM
Slow reply I know, but just wanted to say thanks for the feedback. Helped me refine things

WhiteWolf
2017-04-11, 07:07 AM
Here's a Fighting Style I came up with for a Dex-based melee character. Not sure if this helps you out at all but I thought it might at least be interesting for you to take a look at.

Finesse Fighting Style
Choose 3 melee weapons that do not have the two-handed or heavy property, these weapons gain the finesse property when you wield them.
You also gain +1 to damage with these weapons.

Aulerdar
2017-04-11, 08:13 AM
Here's a Fighting Style I came up with for a Dex-based melee character. Not sure if this helps you out at all but I thought it might at least be interesting for you to take a look at.

Finesse Fighting Style
Choose 3 melee weapons that do not have the two-handed or heavy property, these weapons gain the finesse property when you wield them.
You also gain +1 to damage with these weapons.

I like that a lot actually, opens up a lot more options flavour wise and still has a damage benefit without being flat out better than other styles :) Thank you

WhiteWolf
2017-04-11, 10:24 AM
I like that a lot actually, opens up a lot more options flavour wise and still has a damage benefit without being flat out better than other styles :) Thank you

No problem, pleasure to help out :)