PDA

View Full Version : Items for Paladin of Freedom

ZhanStrider
2017-03-16, 06:27 AM
Just scouting out for good items for a paladin. PAthfinder items are okay too. my character is MOSTLY a healer, so Lay on Hands items are super good, and Turn Undead improvements would be welcome. Other than that, whatever is good for a pally is probably a good one for me.

Darrin
2017-03-16, 07:21 AM
Just scouting out for good items for a paladin. PAthfinder items are okay too. my character is MOSTLY a healer, so Lay on Hands items are super good, and Turn Undead improvements would be welcome. Other than that, whatever is good for a pally is probably a good one for me.

What level is this paladin? What funds do you have available? What sourcebooks are available? Online content ok? How about Dragon Magazine? What is your group's tolerance level for cheese?

For Pallies, I try to get my hands on a Shield of Mercy (2170 GP, MIC), even if I'm not doing sword-and-board. This allows you to convert unused smites into healing at the end of the day.

weckar
2017-03-16, 08:05 AM
The main thing to consider as making you different from a regular paladin are your relative weakness to fear, immunity to compulsion and of course alignment. So, choose your items as for a paladin but adjust accordingly.

Inevitability
2017-03-16, 08:29 AM
For Pallies, I try to get my hands on a Shield of Mercy (2170 GP, MIC), even if I'm not doing sword-and-board. This allows you to convert unused smites into healing at the end of the day.

How have I not noticed this before? It's absolutely great on an Andras-using binder. Only slightly slower than wands of lesser vigor and much less expensive.

LoyalPaladin
2017-03-16, 09:48 AM
While I typically play the normal LG paladin, you might consider the Banner of the Storm's Eye (MIC). It's relatively cheap and completely worth the cost.

ZhanStrider
2017-03-16, 10:21 AM
What level is this paladin? What funds do you have available? What sourcebooks are available? Online content ok? How about Dragon Magazine? What is your group's tolerance level for cheese?

6th level-8th level. aside from Online Only content, Pretty much everything is allowed, the DM bans things on a case-by-case basis. I'm running Sword and Board/Heals. Probably not too much cheese.

ZhanStrider
2017-03-16, 10:36 PM

is there a way to extend the reach of Lay on Hands?

EndocrineBandit
2017-03-18, 04:59 AM
Bloodwind would do that. I think it's a third level sorc spell? Spell compendium maybe?

Inevitability
2017-03-18, 06:07 AM
Bloodwind would do that. I think it's a third level sorc spell? Spell compendium maybe?

1. Blood Wind is a first level spell.
2. It's also on the cleric and wizard lists.
3. It does absolutely nothing for Lay on Hands, unless you have some freaky 'deliver LoH through unarmed strikes' ability I've never heard of before.

Palanan
2017-03-18, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by ZhanStrider
is there a way to extend the reach of Lay on Hands?

If Pathfinder is an option, the Divine Hunter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo-paladin-archetypes/divine-hunter/) archetype gains the ability to use Lay on Hands at short-range.

This comes online at sixth level, and costs two uses of Lay on Hands to heal across 30 feet. Could be handy in a pinch.

Particle_Man
2017-03-18, 05:14 PM
Kilt of Inspiration? :smallbiggrin:

Dunsparce
2017-03-18, 06:17 PM
If you don't want to waste one of your few feats for "Hands of a Healer" to increase your Lay on Hands allotment, I would recommend Pendant of the Unicorn(MIC). It treats your Charisma as 2 higher for Lay on Hands and also gives you Cure Moderate Wounds and Neutralize Poison 1/day as spell-like abilities. 6000 Gold. Alternatively get both to make your charisma count as 4 higher. Not really top-op type stuff, but from what you've said you game isn't about high-powered shenanigans(Especially since you're playing a Paladin over a Crusader or a Cleric that pretends he's a Paladin).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-03-19, 02:09 AM
Get everyone in the party to pick up a Healing Belt (MIC), it's only 750 gold and it can heal 2d8 damage three times per day.

There are a lot of cheap choices in the list of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items).

Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)) includes a lot of useful stuff, cherry pick from that list if you don't plan on getting everything.

8th level is 27,000 gp, so I'd go with the following:

Healing Belt (MIC, 750 gp)
Anklet of Translocation (MIC, 1,400 gp)
+1 weapon (2,000 gp plus masterwork weapon), Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape, 100 gp), Crystal of Illumination (MIC, 400 gp lesser or 1,000 gp greater)
+1 Darkwood Heavy Shield (2,257 gp), Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape, 100 gp), Crystal of Arrow Deflection (MIC, 500 gp least or 2,500 gp lesser)
+1 Mithral Full Plate (11,500 gp), Restful Crystal (MIC, 500 gp)
Third Eye: Clarity (MIC, 3,000 gp)
Wand of Rhino's Rush (Spell Compendium, 750 gp, Rules Compendium says spell trigger and spell completion items have activation times matching the spell's casting time)
Wand of Knight's Move (Spell Compendium, partially charged, caster level 4th 10 ft. range at 120 gp per charge, or caster level 6th 15 ft. range at 180 gp per charge)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds or Faith Healing (SC) (750 gp)
1st level Pearls of Power (1,000 gp)