PDA

View Full Version : Major image and line of sight/effect

Keral
2017-03-16, 09:10 AM
Hi!

I wanted to have an npc create/project an illusion of a creature in order to interact with the PCs. The npc in question shouldn't be too high level, and by looking around I decided that Major image would be almost perfect for it.

However, the idea is for the NPC to be quite out of sight and have the illusion lure the PCs in a secluded area of the city and interact with them. The problem is that with the illusion moving it would be nigh impossible to do so and mantain line of sight/effect, plus the NPC can't actually hear what's being said, so the interaction part also is problematic.

Is there a viable alternative? Like some combo with a divination spell or something? I'd really try to avoid DM fiat if at all possible :smallfrown:

Thanks in advance!

sleepyphoenixx
2017-03-16, 09:45 AM
Trickery Devotion could work as long as the NPC is at least 10th level (and doesn't need longer than 10 minutes).
Otherwise even higher level spells like Mislead and Project image fail to do what you want, despite being vastly higher level spells.

You might be better off with a druid and a combination of Share Husk (SpC), Initiate of Nature (FRCS), a Hat of Disguise and a Pearl of Speech.
Command a small HD animal with IoN (commanding allows you to give orders as a mental action), use a Hat of Disguise or other illusion to make it look like you and then use Share Husk to share its senses. The Pearl is necessary to allow the animal to speak.

Alternatively you could just polymorph into a common bird and use flight to maintain LoS/LoE to your Major Image. Invisibility optional.
As long as you don't go into a building that should be fine. You can hear with Clairaudience/clairvoyance.

Keral
2017-03-16, 11:43 AM
Uh, druids are a bit problematic in my setting, but the polymorph + clairaudience/clairvoyance combo looks perfect!

Many thanks!