PDA

View Full Version : What are some mystic builds y'all have cooking up?

Sir cryosin
2017-03-16, 02:01 PM
As the title ask what kind of mystic are y'all building. I had a character leave the party last game because of reasons of how he was treated. So my DM was encouraging me to roll up a mystic. Which is cool but I can't settle on any orders​, disciplines​, talents. And was looking for inspiration.

JobsforFun
2017-03-16, 02:20 PM
As the title ask what kind of mystic are y'all building. I had a character leave the party last game because of reasons of how he was treated. So my DM was encouraging me to roll up a mystic. Which is cool but I can't settle on any orders​, disciplines​, talents. And was looking for inspiration.

Quick question, is a mystic something you want to play or are you making your new character a mystic because the DM encouraged you to do so? Only reason I am asking is play what you want don't worry about what people want you to play ;).

Sir cryosin
2017-03-16, 03:08 PM
Quick question, is a mystic something you want to play or are you making your new character a mystic because the DM encouraged you to do so? Only reason I am asking is play what you want don't worry about what people want you to play ;).

I'm rolling up a mystic because I wanted to try it out. My stat rolls are and yes I rolled in front of my DM 12,12,17,17,17,17. Any race besides a human I always play one and want to change it up a bit.

tieren
2017-03-16, 03:13 PM
Ok, so I actually did just try to make the super-skrull mystic and was a bit surprised by how much I liked the end result:

I assumed 3rd level (level of campaign I am currently running).

I selected Order of Wu Jen, disciplines of:
Mastery of fire
Mastery of force
Nomadic Chameleon
Brute Force

He can do powerful punches, mighty leaps, and feats of str.
He can go invisible (even as a cantrip),and hide in plain sight.
He can push characters and move things with telekinetic force, erect a telekinetic barrier, and grasp stuff.
He can kill things with fire.

All staying below the 3 PP limit (for each not total).

With the mastery of fire focus and fire based energy beam talent can shoot enemies at 1d8+2 all day long, and if anyone is fire resistant just switch to different damage type.

he can't fly yet, but can pick that up with another discipline at 5th level or arcane dabbler for it at 6th level.

I also note that of his 13 different discipline/spells, only 3 use the bonus action (step from sight, brute strike, and feats of str) and I don't see myself getting conflicted much on which to use when.

DracoKnight
2017-03-16, 03:36 PM
The Mystic build I've been looking at is Mystic 1/Kensei 5/Mystic 5/Kensei 9.

With those stats?

High Elf

STR 12
DEX 19 (17 + 2)
CON 17
INT 18 (17 + 1)
WIS 17
CHA 12

ASIs: DEX +1/WIS +1, Resilient (CON), then whatever you want.

Go Order of the Soul Knife and name your Soul Knife a Kensei weapon. For your Disciplines, I went with Beastial Form, Nomadic Step, and Psionic Weapon.

solidork
2017-03-16, 03:39 PM
We're doing a Planescape one shot soon, and we can play a character from any non science fiction universe, and I'm considering being a Witch from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Being a witch on the Disc is like 90% attitude; if everyone is terrified that you are going to hex them, you don't actually have to do a lot of hexing. I see her as using Occlude Mind a lot to make people believe things that are (mostly) true anyways, like: "Could make you a frog and wouldn't break a sweat."

In my dreams, I get to, at some point, ask the DM "Is that building sentient?"(This is Sigil, it very well could be) and then proceed to intimidate it into getting out of my way.

Zene
2017-03-16, 09:50 PM
I've been messing around with a build aimed at max survivability. Notes copy-pasted below. Sorry about the lack of explanation and formatting; I'm on my phone so it's hard to rewrite it. Hoefully it makes some sense. Might come back and edt for clarity when I'm on my laptop.

Invincible Mystic

Bump con, int, dex...vhuman with res con, lucky, warcaster, dex, dex

Wu jen for L14 immunitiesans wiz spells:, shield, mirror image, counterspell

Intellect fortress for reaction saving throw boosts
Wood and Earth focus for +1 AC and concentration resistance to b/s/p
Diminution turn hits into misses as reactions, or conc for +5 AC
Bestial form+2 AC and flight
Cloak of air conc for disadv on attacks
Precog for conc d4 bonus to attacks, checks, throws

(Adaptive Body for elemental resistances, Mastery of Force for Inertial Armor, Mastery of Ice for temp HP, mastery of Light and Dark for shadow beasts)

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-16, 10:09 PM
Try my Jedi build

Favorite Race for this is Eladrin, Feral Tiefling, and High Elf. Go Order of Soul Knife and have fun. Reflavor tiefling as Twi'liks or Nautolans

Disciplines by 10
Mastery of Force (because its the FORCE and also YOU CAN FORCE CHOKE IN D&D NOW)
Mastery of Air- for when you need to dive off buildings or AOE Force Push mooks.
Mastery of Wood and Earth- for focus since im not grabbing iron durability, and MINDSABER THROW via animate weapon.
Psionic weapon- because you always take this. +7 is coolio and smiting is coolioer.
Brute Force- for when you want to combine attacking and pushing people back 140 feet into a wall, or force jump.

Take Energy beam for force lightning, Mystic Hand for manipulating things with the force, Beacon because your mindsaber glows in the dark and you can choose its color or mystic charm for the jedi mind tricks.

Coretex
2017-03-16, 11:35 PM
I am really keen to try a Soul Knife build. With your stats you could pull off a beast of one too.

17 Wis, Int, Dex, and Con.

Taking the Immortal Diminution: You can be tiny and still do the same damage!
Immortal Brute Force: You can leap onto enemies from up to 140ft away!

That is enough! You end up being a tiny bouncing murderball and you still have heaps of options to play with as you like:

Immortal Celerity: Crazy movement bonuses
Wu Jen Mastery of air: Fly up to 140, also at no cost, so you can run-leap-fly for 310 movement in one turn! (while tiny)

I find the best builds (unless you are looking for min-maxing, in which case everyone here will have you well covered) reach their fantasy early and then become more flexible or give you options to specialize as you progress.

Have fun! I hope I get the chance to test Mystic myself soon.

8wGremlin
2017-03-17, 03:07 AM
Think of a Druid 2/Immortal x, wild shape and psionics = no problem, with casting, or communicating via telepathy.

the immortals dex+con could be useful, but doesn't improve by much...
psionics female Steeder spiders seem good.

AC 14 (15 with Immortal Durability)
HP 30 (+ Mystic level hp with Immortal Durability + int mod temp hp/round with Psionic Resilience(@3rd levelMystic))
Speed 30/climb 30
STR15/Dex16/Con14
Stealth 7
DDark vision120
Spiderclimb
Leap : 90 ft vertical or horizontal
Bite: +7 d8+3 plus 2d8 acid Con DC 12 for half
Sticky Legs: Recharges when no one is grappled, +5 to hit, reach 5ft, target is stuck to leg, escape grapple dc 12

joaber
2017-03-17, 02:14 PM
I was thinking in some "more control, party help and out of combat options, less damage".

lvl 7
Mystic - Order of the Avatar
Forest Gnome:
observant
Str 8
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 18
Wis 12
Cha 10
Skill: Perception + Arcana
PP: 19
IP: 19

AC19 (or 18 without desadvantage in stealth)
Minor illusion
Darkvision
Gnome Cunning
Speak with Small Beasts
Mystical Recovery
Telepathy
Strength of Mind - keep at Con
38 PP - 6 disciplines

Talents: Mind Thrust, Mystic Charm

Disciplines (you can retrain your avatar discipline, dumb, but you can):

Mastery of Light and Darkness:
combat focus on Light and Darkness, cast darkness first turn for 1 pp, stay inside. Be attacked with desadvantage and with Gnome Cunning, there is few options that can scare you.
Shadow Beasts is good action option. Radiant Beam ins't good, but is a radiant option.

Nomadic Mind: focus is just to good to pass, now with one bonus action, you can have prod in any discipline.
much non combat stuff here

Telepathic Contact: Much non combat options here, but Occluded Mind, Broken Will and Psychic Grip can handle BBEs, as Psychic Domination later.

Psionic Restoration: Save the party!

Mantle of Command: depends of your party, but movements are always great, Coordinated Movement is cheap and bonus action. Command to Strike ans (later) Overwhelming Attack can be really good with the right allies.

Psychic Disruption: Your AoE came from here, Mind Storm is great if your party (and you later) have good ST effects. Coordinated Movement can help to get allies out of AoE.
Distracting haze is great but need conc, daze is a good option too.

You don't have much damage options other than psychic, but have plenty of effects or let party attack for you.

Other good disciplines:
Mastery of Weather: whirlwind can change the entire table, you and your allies can auto fail (1d6 damage) and this can move you up to 40ft.
Hungry Lightning and Lightning Leap bring some non psychic damage. Wall of Thunder can be great after whirlwind or Coordinated Movement. Thunder Clap for stun.

Nomadic Step: teleport is good, Defensive Step too There and Back Again with your movement options too, Phantom Caravan and Nomad’s Gate with Wandering Eye or Phasing Eye can break any dungeon

Psychic Phantoms: Distracting Figment is great for your shadows and if your party is melee heavy. With Mantle of Command too.
Phantom Betrayal is great.

Psychic Assault: damages are all good, but Psychic Crush is great.

Psychic Inquisition: just for Hammer of Inquisition, if your party have nasty Wis ST effects

Diminution: Stealty!

Bestial Form: just to get no concentration flight and Tough Hide for 1h, or some "if I need it" (like breathe air and water)

Crown of Rage: Primal Fury is a good battlefield control, great with someone with polearm master (and warcaster, maybe). Punishing Fury is bonus action, great with shadows and melee party

Typhon
2017-03-17, 03:11 PM
Porting over my 2nd ed Psionicist (psymetabolic) who had seriously good roles for 2nd ed in primary stats. He skipped 3.x and 4e. But he does have associations with Sigil factions, without the hang up of being part of them.

Psychas (shut up, I like it)
Standard Human

Immortal Mystic lvl 5
Acolyte (psionic temple, religionarcana/insight)

Stats
16 Str 14 Dex 18 Con 20 Int 20 Wis 15 Chr (Int and Wis receive the ASI bump at 4th level)

Passive Wisdom: 18
HP:54 PSP: 27 (I know it is PP, but honestly I prefer Psionic strength points over peepee)

Class Skills:
Perception +8 Arcana +8 Insight +8 Medicine +8

Weapons: Mace, Baatorian steel short sword (2nd ed, short swords were allowed, and I stole it from a demon camp outside the Blood War)
Armor: Hide armor, round shield (see note above)

Class features:
Immortal Durability, Mystical Recovery, Telepathy, Psionic Resilience, Strength Of Mind, 1st ASI (Int & Wis)

Talents- Mystic Hand, Mind Slam

Disciplines- Adaptive Body, Mastery of Force, Psionic Restoration, Psionic Weapon, Third Eye

Found while he was young by a Half-giant psionic master, Psychas was extremely talented and powerful for his youth. As a pupil, Psychas was resourceful and creative, but also highly self-reliant. At the completion of his initial training, his master decided to kicksend him out across the planes to learn and grow. Where he was quickly found by a group of adventurers and joined them in course of their careers.

The elf wizard let him board with her in Sigil, mostly because of his quiet contemplative lifestyle, minimal footprint, and his culinary inventiveness in creating a breaded pie topped with sauce, cheese and various other toppings that was nearly unheard of in Sigil at the time. Otherwise, they were completely platonic (no seriously). Now the rest of the party, yeesh.

Draco4472
2017-03-17, 08:59 PM
I actually thought a Bladesinger/Soul Knife would be interesting. Haven't done too much planning into it, but another Int. based caster provides a lot of multiclass opertunities for wizards, especially with as much stuff as Mystic gets to choose from, with 6 traditions and what's essentially a separate spell list.

Naanomi
2017-03-17, 09:07 PM
A new campaign we are starting soon will have Svirfneblin/Urchin/Order of the Awakened Mind Mystic in it, with a heavy focus on stealth and sensory abilities to serve as a pseudo-rogue. Starting Talent: Mind Thrust; Starting Disciplines: Psychic Inquisition, Precognition, Diminuation

I also know another group that is planning on having a 'blastery' Fire Gensai Wujen, but I don't know the details of the character in full

Flashy
2017-03-17, 09:08 PM
Psychic Assault: damages are all good, but Psychic Crush is great.

And Psychic Blast is some of the only truly unavoidable damage in the game.

Beechgnome
2017-03-17, 09:16 PM
I was contemplating an Awakened Mystic who believes he comes from a broken future world. Taking precognition and psychic phantoms and Crown of Despair, so he can 'share' glimpses of what he sees every day with others.

I was thinking High elf, but only because the influence for the character was Xan from Baldur's Gate.

'Onward, to futility!'

jaappleton
2017-03-17, 09:27 PM

IMO you need to decide what STYLE to play and go from there.

I want to play a 'caster' style, and being the smartest person around, I want people to KNEEL before me. So I'm talking Mastery of the Wind. Using Wind Stream to knock people prone as I declare myself their new GOD!*

*I'm going to die pretty quickly, I think.

Naanomi
2017-03-17, 09:47 PM
Worked up the level 20 version with the player (though subject to change through play of course):

Svirfneblin/Urchin/Mystic
Order of The Awakened Mind

Talents: Mind Thrust (1), Mind Meld (3), Blind Spot (10), Mystic Hand (17)
Disciplines: Psychic Inquisition, Precognition, Diminution (1); Telepathic Contact (3), Third Eye (5), Nomadic Mind (7), Nomadic Chameleon (9), Aura Sight (12), Psychic Assault (15), Mastery of Air (18)

ASI: +2 INT (4), +2 INT (8), Svirfneblin Racial Feat (12), Skulker (16), (?Alert/Lucky/Observant?) (19)

Skills: Insight, Investigation, Perception, History, Stealth, Sleight of Hand; Thief's Tools, Disguise Kit; Common, Gnomish, Undercommon

sightlessrealit
2017-03-17, 09:52 PM
Mystic/Ranger(archer based) Multi Class

Disciplines: Light & Darkness, Force, & Nomadic Arrow

Force for the Armor, Light/Darkness for magic darkness sight & self Magic Darkness Area, & Arrow for nice bonus damage.

Order: Nomadic or Wu Jin work.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-17, 09:56 PM
VHuman, Mystic (Order of the Nomad), Guild Artisan (Just a crafter really)

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 14
INT 16
WIS 12
CHA 8

Skills:
Stealth
Persuasion
Arcana
Perception
Insight
Tinkerer's Tools

Feat: Weapon Master (+1 Dex, Shortsword and Pistol, Pepperbox and Musket from Matthew Mercer's Gunslinger).

Talents: Mind Meld

Disciplines: Nomadic Arrow, Nomadic Chameleon, Psionic Weapon.

The thing about this guy is that he can shoot you from up to 800ft without disadvantage...

tkuremento
2017-03-17, 10:00 PM
Try my Jedi build

Favorite Race for this is Eladrin, Feral Tiefling, and High Elf. Go Order of Soul Knife and have fun. Reflavor tiefling as Twi'liks or Nautolans

SNIP

Mastery of Wood and Earth- for focus since im not grabbing iron durability, and MINDSABER THROW via animate weapon.

Even though RAW it works, consider how weird it is to manifest a weapon out of yourself and somehow be able to animate it to attack. Just a consideration. I'm sure it can be fluffed away easy :P I mean especially since you are considering them to basically be lightsabers.

Anyway personally I was looking at Order of the Nomad and start with Wood and Earth, Nomadic Chameleon, and Nomadic Step. Basically being a Rogue without being a rogue. Wood and Earth specifically for "throwing" daggers and having them return, to be like a knife master. Would eventually also take Corrosive Metabolism, Celerity, and Psionic Weapon for sure, anything else would be based on how the character feels when actually playing as by this point that is a 7th level Mystic worth of disciplines. Could even consider multiclassing out into actual Rogue for sneak attack damage, I'd do that personally if no actual rogues in the party, maybe even take the 1st level dip sooner to start on Expertise.

Beechgnome
2017-03-17, 10:06 PM
The other one I'm toying with is a Mystic Cockroach/insect.

Immortal with Crown of Disgust, Bestial Form and Diminution at level 1, followed by Psionic weapon, Corrosive Metabolism, Master of Wood and Earth, Celerity (for scattering), Precognition, Adaptive Body and finally, when I go full Mothra - Giant Growth.

If Thri kin was playable I'd do that; failing that I think I'll make him a really ugly, uncharismatic stout halfling. Last bug standing.

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-17, 10:12 PM
The other one I'm toying with is a Mystic Cockroach/insect.

Immortal with Crown of Disgust, Bestial Form and Diminution at level 1, followed by Psionic weapon, Corrosive Metabolism, Master of Wood and Earth, Celerity (for scattering), Precognition, Adaptive Body and finally, when I go full Mothra - Giant Growth.

If Thri kin was playable I'd do that; failing that I think I'll make him a really ugly, uncharismatic stout halfling. Last bug standing.

Hobbit Stout Halfling and Cockroach... the two things I hate the most (after a specific kind of people who are part of a movement in real life)... KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Beechgnome
2017-03-17, 10:19 PM
Hobbit Stout Halfling and Cockroach... the two things I hate the most (after a specific kind of people who are part of a movement in real life)... KILL IT WITH FIRE!

So the Crown of Disgust is working, then? [Turns on Adaptive Body Energy Immunity...]

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-17, 10:22 PM
So the Crown of Disgust is working, then? [Turns on Adaptive Body Energy Immunity...]

If we are talking aboult builds... I will shoot the disgusting insect goo out of ya! NOMADIC ARROW GUN!

Mortis_Elrod
2017-03-17, 10:24 PM
Here's something i found to be cool.
Requires 14th level.

Bugbear Guardian Conclave Ranger 3/Immortal 11.

Take Giant Growth and Diminutive.
Start stealthed, in tiny form. Find target.
Psychic Focus on GGrowth.
Go into Guardian Form.
Use Psionic Mastery to Concentrate on both Ogre Form and Giant Form.
Wield a reach weapon. Like a Glaive.

Become a Huge tree and smack someone 40 feet away.

DracoKnight
2017-03-17, 11:37 PM
Here's something i found to be cool.
Requires 14th level.

Bugbear Guardian Conclave Ranger 3/Immortal 11.

Take Giant Growth and Diminutive.
Start stealthed, in tiny form. Find target.
Psychic Focus on GGrowth.
Go into Guardian Form.
Use Psionic Mastery to Concentrate on both Ogre Form and Giant Form.
Wield a reach weapon. Like a Glaive.

Become a Huge tree and smack someone 40 feet away.

That is entertaining as all hell! :smallbiggrin:

Anderlith
2017-03-17, 11:40 PM
I don't have everything stated out, but a Soul Knife assassin with Diminutive powers & the awareness invisability trick

furby076
2017-03-18, 12:30 AM
I tried my own thread, but got no responses after one day. Thoughts on this character? I know i want to play order of the awakened mind, just not sure what disciplines to take with it? Something to increase stealth. Master of air seems cool
I enjoyed psionics when it was around in 2nd ed, and 3.x. right now i play a cool paladin, but if something unfortunate were to happen to him, then i will want to have a backup. No I'm not going to kill the paladin....plus the group needs a tank way more than a mystic. But, I'm gonna make one just in case.

Shortened backstory: born homeless with mom as only parent (father either killed, or raped mother...havent gotten it). At age of 4 or 5, a noble started kicking the crap out of my character (cause begging). Mom tried to intervene and noble killed her. This was jn an urban area and nobody jumped in (cause noble vs begger). Character let out a psychic scream (mental trauma), and was found huddled near dead mom and dead noble. City constable didnt know what happened and sent girl to slave mines. She had more tragedy there, for 4 years, and another psychic scream...she fled and stumbled into a monastery of mystics and monks....who all took a vow of silence.

They raised her, trained her, and took care of her as a child raised by a caring village. At 16 she sets off:

V-Human, female.

Assume level 5

Background Urchin

Feat: Tough

Skills: V-Human (Perception); Background (Slight of Hand, Stealth); Class (Insight, History)
Awakened mind seems appropriate.... what else?

She will want to keep her powers hidden as long as possible. If people confuse her for a low lvl monk or fighter (she will wear robes and have a spear) great. She will know hand gestures, to speak....though most will have bo clue. Clearly she can use telepathy, but wont share that for a bit.

Id like her to be able to do some fun destructive stuff, but overall....supporting the group could be fun... or debuffing the enemies.

Sir cryosin
2017-03-18, 07:48 AM
I tried my own thread, but got no responses after one day. Thoughts on this character? I know i want to play order of the awakened mind, just not sure what disciplines to take with it? Something to increase stealth. Master of air seems cool
I enjoyed psionics when it was around in 2nd ed, and 3.x. right now i play a cool paladin, but if something unfortunate were to happen to him, then i will want to have a backup. No I'm not going to kill the paladin....plus the group needs a tank way more than a mystic. But, I'm gonna make one just in case.

Shortened backstory: born homless with mom as only parent (father either killed, or raped mother...havent gotten it). At age of 4 or 5, a noble started kicking the crap out of my character (cause begging). Mom tried to intervene and noble killed her. This was jn an urban area and nobody jumped in (cause noble vs begger). Character let out a psychic scream (mental trauma), and was found huddled near dead mom and dead noble. City constable didnt know what happened and sent girl to slave mines. She had more tragedy there, for 4 years, and another psychic scream...she fled and stumbled into a monastery of mystics and monks....who all took a vow of silence.

They raised her, trained her, and took care of her as a child raised by a caring village. At 16 she sets off:

Human, female. Assume level 5. Spy or criminal background (stealth, pick locks)
Awakened mind seems appropriate.... what else?

She will want to keep her powers hidden as long as possible. If people confuse her for a low lvl monk or fighter (she will wear robes and have a spear) great. She will know hand gestures, to speak....though most will have bo clue. Clearly she can use telepathy, but wont share that for a bit.

Id like her to be able to do some fun destructive stuff, but overall....supporting the group could be fun... or debuffing the enemies.

I finished my mystic last night. I went with Awaken my disciplines are psychic assault, intellect Fortress, Mastery of force, psychic disruption, nomadic mind.

Other disciplines that are on my list to grab are.
Nomadic step, mantle of awe, giant growth or nomadic Arrow, mastery of ice or fire, mantle of command.

joaber
2017-03-18, 03:19 PM
I was thinking in some changes in my lvl 7 avatar.

Svifneblin istead of forest gnome, to advantage in stealth.

Disciplines
Mastery of air: bonus action to atrack you with desadvantage, with the ac 19 is great, many reactions to make enemy hit himself. Can fly, wind stream is a good non psychic damage that can target more than one creature.
Crown of rage: focus with cloak or air make you a tank, good for the rest. Primal fury can put enemy where you want and triggerally PAM attack. Mindless courage and punishing fury are really good bonus action options in that case.
Mantle of command: more control and bonus action to move your party, removing they from AoE that you can use in the same turn.
Nomadic mind: is your primary focus out of combat, good non combat options:
Psychic disruption: mind storm, your great AoE
Telephatic contact: great nom combat or BBEG debuff.

Hammer of inquisition can be great to use with punishing fury in the same round.

Psychic assault and phantoms are great too.
Mastery of weather with whirlwind to change the entire table is a must have later, using with stun AoE.

Nomadic step os great too, as bestial form to non concentration 1h fly and +2 to AC.

But you can't have all :(

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-18, 10:09 PM
Obsidian Dragonborn*, Mystic (Order of the Soulknife), Soldier

STR 16
DEX 8
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 11
CHA 12

Skills:
Arcana
Athletics
Intimidation
Perception

Talents: Beacon

Disciplines: Psionic Weapon.

This dragonborn has black crystalline scales, glowing red eyes and from his fists come two red scintillating knives of energy.

This dragonborn is an experiment of the Metallic Enclave, different from normal dragonborns who have metallic or leathery scales, this dragonborn has crystalline scales that hint psionic power, his eyes glow with red elemental energy that are seen as intimidating by other creatures. He was used in the war against the spawn of Tiamat, and he excelled as a soldier, and after being studied, he was relieved from military service.

So yeah, this guy is basically a ****ty prototype...

*Obsidian Dragonborn is basically a Psionic Gold/Red Dragonborn (because the Obsidian Dragon fom WotC's 3.X Archive is a Psionic Gold/Red Dragon).

jaappleton
2017-03-19, 06:37 PM
I'm still writing it up, and haven't picked an Order yet. Playing him pretty mage-y, but being near the front lines.

But using 27 point buy, starting at level 4. DM is letting me start with 2 Uncommon magic items. Here's what I have:

Warforged

Strength =10 (9+1 Racial)
Dexterity = 14
Constitution = 16 (15 +1 Racial)
Intelligence = 19 (8 + Headband of Intellect)
Wisdom = 14
Charisma = 11

I took Moderately Armored at lv4, so I have Medium Armor and Shield proficiency.

AC = 20
14 + 2 (Dex) + 2 (Shield) + 1 (Racial) + 1 (Cloak of Protection)

I plan on taking Mastery of Air and standing in melee range, using Cloak of Air to have enemies hit themselves to death.

Really leaning toward Nomad for the Order, because its pretty solid all around. Memory of a Thousand Steps is a pretty nice feature, plus proficiency in combination of any two tools, skills, or languages every rest. Though Wu Jen's lv6 is simply spectacular, letting me take Shield (Several Mystic abilities are LIKE it, but none quite as good).

I'm going to play him somewhat like Ultron; Other beings are pretty much inferior. I imagine him being confronted by an enemy commander and the Warforged commands the foe to kneel before using Wind Stream to knock him prone.

DracoKnight
2017-03-19, 07:37 PM
Obsidian Dragonborn*, Mystic (Order of the Soulknife), Soldier

STR 16
DEX 8
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 11
CHA 12

Skills:
Arcana
Athletics
Intimidation
Perception

Talents: Beacon

Disciplines: Psionic Weapon.

This dragonborn has black crystalline scales, glowing red eyes and from his fists come two red scintillating knives of energy.

This dragonborn is an experiment of the Metallic Enclave, different from normal dragonborns who have metallic or leathery scales, this dragonborn has crystalline scales that hint psionic power, his eyes glow with red elemental energy that are seen as intimidating by other creatures. He was used in the war against the spawn of Tiamat, and he excelled as a soldier, and after being studied, he was relieved from military service.

So yeah, this guy is basically a ****ty prototype...

*Obsidian Dragonborn is basically a Psionic Gold/Red Dragonborn (because the Obsidian Dragon fom WotC's 3.X Archive is a Psionic Gold/Red Dragon).

So a Dragonborn Wolverine? :smallwink:

DragonSorcererX
2017-03-19, 09:07 PM
So a Dragonborn Wolverine? :smallwink:I may or may not have been influenced by this awesome badass murderhobo badass super powerful badass character...

Sir cryosin
2017-03-20, 08:45 AM
Psi points for days this build don't kick in tell tenth level. Where you can sack HP max for Psi points.
Race: hill dwarf
Order: immortal
Feat: tough
Disciplines:
Mastery Of Ice (for good control and most importantly 20 temp HP)
Psychic Assault ( for no save no roll damage, get to add int to talents, also for psychic crush and blast.)
Psionic Restoration
Mastery Of Wood ( concentration for res to B,P,A damage and focuses +1AC)
Other disciplines you can pick your self.
Now this build is based on haveing alot of psi points.im not going to stay out because all the games I'm in or run we roll for stats. But con and int are the stats you focus on follow by Dex.

furby076
2017-03-20, 06:39 PM
I finished my mystic last night. I went with Awaken my disciplines are psychic assault, intellect Fortress, Mastery of force, psychic disruption, nomadic mind.

Other disciplines that are on my list to grab are.
Nomadic step, mantle of awe, giant growth or nomadic Arrow, mastery of ice or fire, mantle of command.

Thanks.
I'll take a look. Also, I've updated my post with more details (Skills, V-human with Tough feat)

Jthibs
2017-07-13, 10:56 AM
I am currently playing a level 4 High Elf Mystic.

STR: 10
DEX: 18
CON: 14
INT: 16
WIS: 12
CHA: 8

Background: Haunted One
Mystic Order: Order of the Avatar
Talents: Mind Thrust: Psychic Hammer
Disiplines: Mastery of Force, Mastery of Wood and Earth, Mantle of Command, Nomadic Mind.

Racial Cantrip: Booming Blade.

Conceptually he is a failed wizard on the run. We are playing in a pretty hard survival based game where arcane magic users are hunted down.

This guy is a tank.
Mastery of Force + Dex + Shield + Mastery of Wood/Earth has him sitting at a pretty 21 AC.

I own a cloak of protection which I picked up last night adding an additional +1 to it.

At level 5 I plan on taking something but I haven't figured out what is next. I am leaning heavily towards Mastery of Air, for when I end up face tanking for my group.

The joy of this charachter is currently Mantle of Command. Nothing says love like giving the heavy hitters more options to hit or saving a sorcerer who has found himself stuck in a position where he is getting crushed.

I woukd say that my PC is not the baddest guy in the yard, but he makes the group better with his battle field control and group support.

Oh, lucky crit happened for me last night on an animate weapon roll. I had spent 3 Psi-points and smacked a gargantuan crab for 2d6+6d10. It was seriously satisfying to roll 52 points of damage and crush that critter in the face.

NixAshtear
2017-07-13, 03:50 PM
Bringing back the Lazy-lord
Lvl 1 V-Human
Feat: Resilient (Dex)
STR 08 CON 16 (15+1) DEX (14+1+1) INT 13 WIS 12 CHA 10

-Talent-
Delusion

-Disciplines-
Celerity
Psionic Restoration
Mantle of Command

Use other talents that don't require attacks or saves like Light Step, Mind Meld, and Mystic Hand. Ignore everything that requires a save or spell attack and focus on tanking and buffing (Nomadic Mind, Giant Growth+Crown of Rage, Psionic Weapon, Intellect Fortress, Mastery of Air) using ASIs to get CON and DEX to 20, then maybe use 2 levels later on to get Bladesinger if you manage to get a headband of intellect (and your DM allows a non-elf to use it) or take a feat like Lucky, Human Determination, Tough.

Eventually you get an AC of 20, over 200 HP, Prof in 2/3 of the most common saves and you just direct your best attacker to hit something as long as you have Psi Points left while you soak damage on the front lines for them. Great by itself, even better if you can snag a headband of intellect to expand your options in this build.

imanidiot
2017-07-13, 11:35 PM

I have notes on my home computer for a carnival strongman inspired Order of the Immortal Mystic with Grappler, Giant Growth, and Brute Force. Basically you're strong enough to out wrestle anything and big enough that you can grapple Gargantuan creatures.

Jaxter Gronaldi
2017-07-14, 07:28 AM
My build:

Archy Tom
Mystic 1

Immortal Order

Disciplines: Celerity, Diminuition, Brute Force.
Maximum crazy. Tiny assasin.

Talent: blind spot

Aett_Thorn
2017-07-14, 07:46 AM
I'm working on a Mystic that takes inspiration from Ant-Man.

Order of the Immortal

Disicplines: Diminution, Giant Growth, and Celerity

Future disciplines will be based on trying to simulate the ability to command insects or get information from them. Or in this case, creatures with an intelligence 2 or higher, and basically become a hive queen of a sort: Mantle of Command, Psychic Phantoms, Third Eye, and Telepathic Contact

sightlessrealit
2017-07-14, 08:03 AM
Hozmat Goldfury

Hill Dwarf

CoS Background

Immortal Mystic 4 / Hexblade Warlock 1

Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 16

Disciplines: Psi Recovery, Bestial Transformation, Light & Darkness Mastery, Giant Growth

Due to a Wish have a +1 Curse Bringer

Health 52 + 3 temp every turn

Sir cryosin
2017-07-14, 08:45 AM
Bringing back the Lazy-lord
Lvl 1 V-Human
Feat: Resilient (Dex)
STR 08 CON 16 (15+1) DEX (14+1+1) INT 13 WIS 12 CHA 10

-Talent-
Delusion

-Disciplines-
Celerity
Psionic Restoration
Mantle of Command

Use other talents that don't require attacks or saves like Light Step, Mind Meld, and Mystic Hand. Ignore everything that requires a save or spell attack and focus on tanking and buffing (Nomadic Mind, Giant Growth+Crown of Rage, Psionic Weapon, Intellect Fortress, Mastery of Air) using ASIs to get CON and DEX to 20, then maybe use 2 levels later on to get Bladesinger if you manage to get a headband of intellect (and your DM allows a non-elf to use it) or take a feat like Lucky, Human Determination, Tough.

Eventually you get an AC of 20, over 200 HP, Prof in 2/3 of the most common saves and you just direct your best attacker to hit something as long as you have Psi Points left while you soak damage on the front lines for them. Great by itself, even better if you can snag a headband of intellect to expand your options in this build.

So why not psychic assault using psionic blast it damage no attempt roll no save throw.

NixAshtear
2017-07-14, 02:40 PM
So why not psychic assault using psionic blast it damage no attempt roll no save throw.

Haven't thought it out 100%. The main idea was if you're trying to damage direct damage with this character, you're doing it wrong. It's kinda party dependent, but with a good rogue, or fighter you would be doing much less damage than they are capable of. At the same time, I can see the appeal of adding some auto-damage in certain cases.

Telwar
2017-07-14, 07:41 PM
For our Birthright 5e game, I have a high elf wu jen. Started at 8th (switching out my dwarven bow fighter, Dwarfoglas), currently at 10.

Disciplines are:
Mastery of Light & Darkness
Mastery of Air
Mastery of Force
Mastery of Weather
Precognition
Psionic Restoration
Psychic Assault
12th-level discipline will be either Telepathic Contact, or Intellect Fortress, depending on how much psychic crap we run into.

Talents are:
Mind Thrust (duh)
Mystic Hand
For the third, I still haven't decided. I'm likely going to use Psychic Hammer, but Energy Beam, Light Step, and Mind Slam all seem very useful as well.

Wu Jen spells are:
Shield (...duh...)
Invisibility
Counterspell

High elf cantrip is Greenflame Blade.

My only magic items (still) are a mithril longsword (DM houseruled this counted as a Finesse weapon, and we're deliberately not looking at, say, mithril two-handers...) and a ring of animal friendship.

I'm trying to play him as a controller, with Psychic Crush, Radiant Beam, and Thunder Clap to try to disable enemies. The DM has started calling me "Mr. Stun;" for some reason, he finds it odd that I need two different AOE stuns...partly because Radiant Beam keeps not working. I'm pretty much the only reason we didn't have a TPK against a run to clear out a troll raiding a trade route, only to find out that "one" troll was six formorians, one of which was an awnshegh troll (The Troll), as fortunately formorians appear to have ****tastic Int saves and thus I kept enough of them stunlocked for the sorcerer and rogue and assorted hirelings to finish the rest off.

I find myself leaning far more on Psychic Assault in fights than anything else, because so little has a good Int save, and there's those nice handfuls of d8s from Psionic Blast, Psychic Crush, and Psychic Blast...and little resists psychic damage. Mastery of Air and Mastery of Force are primarily there for utility (flight, defenses), and it's very possible we'll have a use for a Cloud Steps from Mastery of Weather coming up soon. Psionic Restoration is there so I can heal in a pinch, but more importantly make sure we have the ability to remove conditions if the cleric isn't there. Precognition is there primarily for the OH CRAP button of Victory Before Battle but also the various defenses it provides.

So far I'm pretty satisfied. I have a lot of options in any encounter, and I'm not overshadowing the rest of the party significantly; it's amusing how stuns make the sorcerer's fireballs work better.

furby076
2017-07-15, 09:47 PM
Unless something comes up, I expect to play this next weekend. I'm really excited too!

She is a mute, so will communicate via sign language and telepathy
V-Human
Str: 9; Dex: 16; Con: 14; Int:20; Wis: 16; Cha 14
Feat: Alert
Skills: Acrobatics, History, Insight
Background: Street Urchin (Stealth, Sleight of hand, disguise kit, thieves tools)
Mystic 5: Order of Awakened
Awakened Talent: Deception, Perception
Disciplines: Master of Air; Intellect Fortress; Nomadic Step, Psychic Assault, Psychic Disruption
Talent: Delusion, Psychic Hammer
Equipment: Sai (refluffed daggers), Bo staff with tip (refluffed short spear), short bow, Elven Chain. Ring of Mind Shielding

Situational Combination: Run and jump over cliff; baleful transposition the BBEG. If BBEG saves, There and Back Again (power for the "back again" portion says "Can", which means does not have to go back)

Behavior: She won't be advertising her powers, and will try and pass herself as a rogue/monk. She has many of the skills necessary. Will also see if the DM will allow me to (with deception) swing at someone, but that is a deceptive movement, where the real ability is using the power to do damage (e.g., psychic hammer).

SaA
2017-09-27, 06:14 PM
Because of DM dropping a Plot Twist on us and Surprise we had all been in a demi plane, that now is gone, leaving my current character no legit reason to stay with the party, cause reasons. I decided to roll me a Mystic, a little bit earlier then expected, since i did expect to die eventually , but not this earily. Also decided to dip in to Bard

So This is what i came up with Lv 8

Lv3 Bard College of Satire [Skills out the Ass + Spells for when i run out of PP + Tumbling Fool] , this is all the dip i will take
Lv5 Awakened Mystic
[Mantle of Awe] For the Wooing of people
[Psychic Assault] For the Damages
[Nomadic Step] For the Mobility + Safety
[Mastery of Air] For the Mobility + Control
[Diminution] For the Sneaking
Talents: Undecided as of yet , depends on the Cantrips i pick up, since some overlap

Stats: Str8-Dex16-Con10-Int16-Wis12-Cha14

Race is Hobgoblin [cause there Saving Face ability is Awesome and can prob be quite funny]
Background is Urchin for the pet rat [obviously]

Story wise he was a Prisoner of Mind Flayers, him and his people, they were being breed and kept as slaves to be trained into a Psychic Army for the Tentacle heads. But one day he started hearing a voice in his head to leave and run away. and he listened, its also the time he started to listen to the voices in his head. Hes only a kid at this point though, from there he makes it to the more civilized parts of the world, where he is treated like trash cause hes an ugly hobgoblin child. So he grows up as an Urchin moving from one Urban area to the next. All the while his powers growing and such, going where ever the voices in his head tell him to go.

He knows how to play the Bongos, Thinks hes really good with people, Uses his disguise kit to pass as a fairly ugly human, and likes to preform in from of people. He also because of his enslavement and life on the streets he detests evil people and tyranny almost to the level of a Paladin, kinda the opposite of normal Hobgoblins which he really didnt grow up around really, since he escaped as a child. But the way he deals with those people probably could be seen as Lawful Evil as hes not against say throwing someone off the roof of a high building for wronging someone else. but on the other hand, he doesnt judge things based on the standards what is law and what is a crime, its more of a moral thing. like Robin Hood. Its ok to rob people who have more then they need, and killing bad guys is fine to, if they didnt want to die then they shouldnt be bad guys.

Also hes a little bit nuts.

8wGremlin
2017-09-27, 08:31 PM
I have a Svirfneblin (Deep Gnome) Investigator/private eye character, that makes good use of the Psionic Investigation to help solve cases. Hard to notice, and can get people to talk if he has to.

You have all the normal great gnome racial abilities and the following:
- You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws against magic
- Darkvision 120 feet
- Advantage on dexterity (stealth) checks to hide in rocky terrain
- Extra language - undercommon.

Feats
Svirfneblin magic
At 4th level take Svirfneblin Magic this ability allows you to cast non-detection on yourself at will, without needing a material component.
You can also cast each of the following spells once with this ability: blindness/deafness , blur , and disguise self .

Non-detection really helps here it lasts 8 hours and for the duration, you can hide a target that you touch from divination magic. the target can be a willing creature (yourself) or a place or an object no larger than 10 feet in any dimension. the target can’t be targeted by any divination magic or perceived through magical scrying sensors.

Background:
City Watch - Investigator OR if allowed the Inquisitor Background from Plane shift: Innistrad (<- preferably this)

Class abilities
- Awakened Talent
- Mystical Recovery
- Telepathy: Silent radio communications with your team
- Psionic Investigation: able to pick up clues from items
- Strength of Mind
- Psionic Surge
- Potent Psionics: extra damage on your main attack power is always nice.

Talents
You get 2 talents:
- Mind Thrust: your main attack power
- Mystic Charm: get people to open up and talk, without them hating you afterwards

Awakened disciplines:
1. Psychic assult: your go to damage dealer in times of need.
2. Telepathic contact: so useful

General disciplines:
1. Mastery of light and darkness (for shadow beasts) - can summon shadows, who technically you can ride
2. Mantle of Command, for your team game
3. Bestial form for utility, ac bonus and close combat if needed
4. Giant Growth - pure combat and large size shenanigans

8wGremlin
2017-09-28, 04:46 PM
The other build I'm toying with is:

Druid of the Moon 2/ Order of the Immortal Mystic 1

Combat would be turn into a Crag Cat, and use the Order of the Immortals Immortal Durability giving a base AC of 16
Using Psychic Focus:Telepathic contact to communicate with your team.
You can also use Ogre form for additional damage.

JzaDragon
2017-10-18, 06:03 AM
Coming from 3.5 and enjoying 5e. My campaign isn't too far along yet but here's what I have planned:

Vanilla Human
Starting stats:
8+1= 9 (-1)
15+1=16 (+3)
11+1=12 (+1)
15+1=16 (+3)
11+1=12 (+1)
11+1=12 (+1)

Build complete by fifth level Mystic and continues to grow with the number of psi points and additional concentrations accessible.

Disciplines:
Nomadic Arrow
Mastery of Wood and Earth

Order optional; I prefer Nomad and take Nomadic Step as my third starting discipline.

Carry your choice of melee weapon and one handed ranged weapon; dagger and dart works fine here. I personally start with 3 levels in Rogue for arcane trickster so I use a rapier and hand crossbow, but crossbow expert feat isn't used here.

Readying round:
Get to 30' with the focus of your choice active. Use a Bonus action to begin concentrating Faithful Archer (5 psi) and can use Action to use the Delusion talent, teleport somewhere silently or something like that.

Attack round:
Use Bonus to charge Speed Dart (1-7 psi) on the ranged attack granted from your conc, and Action with Animate Weapon (1-7).

Can strike two in a 30' radius or focus on just one target and can charge with up to 14d10 psi between both weapons. Can repeat every round as needed.

Psi cost is 5 for conc just once per battle, then between 2 to 14 psi each round.

The purpose is to get off Animate Weapon and Speed Dart off in the same round. The weapons are just delivery methods for as much psychic damage as you want to lay down to a maximum of 14d10 for 14 psi, repeatably.

At level 9 when you can use the maximum 7 charge at a time, given the base attributes, the damage averages at:
(dagger) 5 piercing, 5.5-37 psychic / (dart) 5 piercing, 5.5-37 psychic,
Cheap end (using just 5.5 psychic on each) 10.5/10.5 or average 21 damage with 2 psi points,
Expensive end 42/42 or average 84 with 14 psi.

Bear in mind a 20th level rogue's sneak attack of 10d6 adds on average 63, half that at level 9.

Far as I have seen this should be viable as a targeted burst damager; Mystic’s Mind Storm from Psychic Disruption discipline for instance can do 6d8 to all in a 20’ radius, or 8 by 8 square, for 5 psi each round. 6d8 averages at 45 damage, and half that if they resist which you could expect harder targets to be able to do. Incredible for area but lacks on bosses. Instead of hinging on a save check I just have to hit their AC which isn’t too hard after constant advantage.