PDA

View Full Version : new core class "The Peacemaker"

CyberWyld
2007-07-26, 05:07 AM
Didn't get much response outta the homebrewed side of things. Curious as to what people thought. Critiques welcome.

Here it is, the new Core Class my DM and I have brainstormed out. It's still in the early stages, but this is what we've got so far. Feel free to critique. I ask though that if you do, tell me why something is wrong or needs changes. Don't just flame it. enjoy!!!

“I couldn’t hear much for the ringing in my ears, but after the smoke settled I was able to make out a confident figure standing amongst the remains of the fallen. Two strange weapons held artistically at his side. He moved almost as if he was designated to do so, Very fluid and precise, and always with purpose. He bothered not to loot the dead, or even check for survivors, I am quite sure he knew there weren’t any. After an impressive display of spinning and twirling of his weapons, he pushed them into sheaths on his hips, pulled his cloak back into place…and walked off into the sunset”

After the discovery of smokepowder on Faerun, certain weapons were created to utilize its effects in combat. One in particular was the smokepowder pistol. As the weapon grew in popularity certain individuals possessed an amazing talent with it and would go on to wield them in battle. After some time, the gods even began to take interest in these “new” warriors, melding fire and iron to lay down their foes. Not too long after, Kossuth saw fit to “Inspire” one of his most gifted subjects and grant him abilities to complement his unique talents on the battlefield. Thus was born “The Peacemaker”

"Peacemaker"

Peacemakers have the following game statistics:

ABILITIES:
Peacemakers benefit from high scores in Dexterity and Wisdom. Dexterity improves the chances of a Peacemaker when fighting with their primary weapon of choice, the smokepowder pistol, and also improves her armor class, a good thing for a character that cannot rely on heavy armor. A Wisdom score of 14 or higher is required to get access to the most powerful Peacemaker spells. A Wisdom score of 11 or higher is required to cast any Peacemaker spell at all. A high Constitution also improves a Peacemaker's hit points, as well as bolstering a possibly sub-par Fortitude save.

ALIGNMENT: Any Good

HIT DIE: d8

STARTING GOLD: 6d4 x 10 gp (avg. 150)

CLASS FEATURES:
All of the following are class features of the Peacemaker.

WEAPON AND ARMOR PROFICIENCIES:
A Peacemaker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons (melee only) as well as their favored weapon, smokepowder pistols. They are NOT, however, proficient with any other ranged weapon. Additionally, Peacemakers are proficient with light and medium armor as well as bucklers.

BONUS FEATS:
At 1st level, a Peacemaker gets Point Blank Shot as a bonus feat.
At 2nd level, they get Quick Draw. At 3rd level, they get Precise Shot.
At 7th level, they get Weapon Focus (Smokepowder Pistol).
At 11th level, they get Improved Precise Shot.

IMBUE SHOT:
At 4th level, a Peacemaker gains the ability to place an area spell on one shot. When the shot is fired, the spell's area is centered on were the shot impacts, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the Peacemaker to use the pistol's range rather than the spell's. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the shot. The shot must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

INSPIRED SHOT:
At 5th level, a Peacemaker recieves +1d6 additional damage whenever he can catch an opponent unawares (as a rogue's sneak attack, see PHB, pg 50). This ability improves to +2d6 at 10th level and to +3d6 at 15th level.

BLESSED SHOT:
At 6th level, the Peacemaker may choose to fire one shot per day as if it is affected by the Bless Weapon spell. That means it's treated as a good weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, and a critical threat against an evil foe is automatically successful. A shot that already has an effect related to critical hits cannot benefit from this effect. A Peacemaker can use this ability twice per day at 12th level and three times a day at 18th level.

"TWO GUN STYLE":
At 8th level, a Peacemaker will be treated as having the Two Weapon Fighting feat for the purposes of fighting with his favored weapon only.

BANE SHOT:
At 9th level, the Peacemaker my choose to fire one shot per day as if it is affected by the Bane property of a foe designated by the Peacemaker at the time of use. Against the designated foe, its effective enhancement bonus is +2 better than normal. Additionally, it deals an extra 2d6 points of damage against the foe. This damage is not multiplied on a critical hit. A Peacemaker can use this ability twice per day at 19th level.

"IMPROVED TWO GUN STYLE": At 13th level, a Peacemaker will be treated as having the Improved Two Weapon Fighting feat for the purposes of fighting with his favored weapon only.

"BLAZE OF GLORY":
In lieu of their regular attacks, once per day a Peacemaker of 13th level or higher can fire a shot at each and every target within range, to a maximum of one target for each Peacemaker level they have earned. Each attack uses the Peacemaker's primary attack bonus, and each enemy may only be targeted by a single shot.

"WARNING SHOT":
At 14th level, a Peacemaker may take an attack action to fire a "Warning Shot" across the nose of a designated foe, stunning them for 1d6 rounds. Will save negates. You must announce your intention of using this ability before the attack roll has been resolved. A miss uses up the daily application of this ability. This is a mind-affecting ability.

"TWO GUN MASTERY":
At 16th level, a Peacemaker will receive a third attack with his off-hand weapon. Additionally, all attacks (primary and off-hand) will be at the Peacemaker's full attack bonuses. This ability applies to the Peacemaker's favored weapons only.

"GUT SHOT":
At 17th level, a Peacemaker may take an attack action to fire a shot directly into the belly of a foe, causing intense pain. The affected foe takes a -4 penalty to all attack and damage rolls, skill checks and ability checks. The foe's movement speed(s) is halved, and they take a -2 to AC. Fort save reduces all penalties by half. You must announce your intention of using this ability before the attack roll has been resolved. A miss uses up the daily application of this ability. The designated enemy must have a clearly identifiable anatomy for this ability to be effective.

"HEAD SHOT":
At 20th level, a Peacemaker may take a full-round action to fire a shot directly at the head of a designated foe. If the affected foe fails their fortitude save, they are instantly slain. If they make their fortitude save, they still take 5d6+1 per class level points of damage (to a max of +20). You must announce your intention of using this ability before the attack roll has been resolved. A miss uses up the daily application of this ability. The designated enemy must have a clearly identifiable anatomy for this ability to be effective.

Class Skills:
The Peacemaker's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Int), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str) and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table]Level|Base Attack|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells Per Day|||
|Bonus|Save|Save|Save||1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Point Blank Shot||||
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Quick Draw||||
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Precise Shot||||
4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Imbue Shot|0|||
5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Inspired +1d6|0|||
6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Blessed Shot 1/day|1|||
7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Weapon Focus|1|||
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|"Two Gun Style"|1|0||
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Bane Shot 1/day|2|0||
10th|+7|+3|+7|+7|Inspired +2d6|2|1||
11th|+8|+3|+7|+7|Improved Precise Shot|2|1|0|
12th|+9|+4|+8|+8|Blessed Shot 2/day|2|2|1|
13th|+9|+4|+8|+8|"Blaze of Glory"|3|2|1|
14th|+10|+4|+9|+9|"Warning Shot"|3|2|1|0
15th|+11|+5|+9|+9|Inspired +3d6|3|3|2|1||
16th|+12|+5|+10|+10|"Two Gun Mastery"|3|3|2|1||
17th|+12|+5|+10|+10|"Gut Shot" 1/day|4|3|3|2||
18th|+13|+6|+11|+11|Blessed Shot 3/day|4|4|3|2||
19th|+14|+6|+11|+11|Bane Shot 2/day|4|4|4|3||
20th|+15|+6|+12|+12|"Head Shot" 1/day|4|4|4|4||[/table]

DrummingDM
2007-07-26, 07:08 AM
Interesting concept, but I believe something similar already exists in the Iron Kingdoms game, though it's Charisma-based, not Wisdom.

The Gun Mage (http://www.privateerpress.com/docs/Gun_Mage_PrivateerPress8-11.pdf)

I'm sure it could be adapted to D&D quite easily.

I'll refrain from commenting on balance, optimization, or serious critique however - that's not my forte, and there are folks here to darn near specialize in it. I'll leave it to them. :)

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-26, 07:20 AM
Very interesting class, would be MUCH fun to play/run into one. One question: What exactly are the hard numbers on a smokepowder pistol?? I apologize if this is covered somewhere.

palindrome
2007-07-26, 11:20 AM
One ability you might want to add would be something to do with reloading. Just because you can potentially shoot twice with the same gun, doesn't mean that the gun is capable of it. Between each shot you need to pump some more smokepowder and another bully into the chamber. You might see fit to get rid of one ability like inspired shot or bane shot (both fine abilities, but its a question of balance) in order to allow the peacemaker some ability or another that allows them to reload as fast as they can shoot. It would probably have to be a spell like ability, because it would entail hands moving at ludicrous speed.

Oh, and by the way, put down how many times per day you can use gut shot and head shot.

CyberWyld
2007-07-26, 11:56 AM
Thanks Pali, I'll look at the addition to a loading ability. I'm thinking also I might add riding as a class skill to give the old western gun fighter/horserider feel to it. Going to look at that a bit more.

hasta

crabpuff
2007-07-26, 01:04 PM
What happens if they get hit by a fireball, all the smoke powder goes BOOM!!! The smokepowder is known to be extremely unstable, you might want to look into a class ability later to create Cartridges or a spell to protect from fire or lightning. Also read it in one of the Realms novels adding the silence spell to the weapon to effectively create a "silencer"

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-26, 01:26 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This belongs in Homebrew. I gather from the initial comment that you 1) know that and 2) have already posted it there.

Locked.