PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Equipping Undead

BananaNomNom
2017-03-16, 07:55 PM
Hello, It's me a Necromancer and I am wondering what to equip the mindless undead of my troupe with. Any suggestions help, price nor requirements of said items matter.

flappeercraft
2017-03-16, 08:02 PM
If Price does not matter, get them eevry single item on the game but double the price to make them slotless. Out of joke, Libris mortis and MIC have some things that can be useful to you

OldTrees1
2017-03-16, 08:18 PM
As one necromancer to another, I know to ask you: What you are going to be using the undead for?

Fodder should be barely equipped or unequipped. They tend not to live long enough to make a return on the investment and the investment falls right into enemy hands.
Bodyguards should be slightly equipped but are prone to losing that wealth.
Scouts and other Utility undead tend to be long lasting sometimes even moderately expensive specialty gear is appropriate.

BananaNomNom
2017-03-16, 08:43 PM
As one necromancer to another, I know to ask you: What you are going to be using the undead for?

Fodder should be barely equipped or unequipped. They tend not to live long enough to make a return on the investment and the investment falls right into enemy hands.
Bodyguards should be slightly equipped but are prone to losing that wealth.
Scouts and other Utility undead tend to be long lasting sometimes even moderately expensive specialty gear is appropriate.

They are body guards that are harpoon focused. I already am thinking of a whirling harpoon as well as gauntlets of extended range.

Vizzerdrix
2017-03-17, 03:48 AM
Boots. Preferably with a bit of blacksand in them.

OldTrees1
2017-03-17, 01:21 PM
They are body guards that are harpoon focused. I already am thinking of a whirling harpoon as well as gauntlets of extended range.

Good choices. I don't think I would equip them with much more than that. Maybe some basic Cloaks of Resistance, Gauntlets of Strength, or maybe, maybe a Minor Cloak of Displacement.

Bodyguards do survive longer than Meatbags but not too much longer. When the bodyguards start to need flight to keep up with you, change them out for flying bodyguards rather than spend gold on giving them flight.

BananaNomNom
2017-03-17, 01:47 PM
Good choices. I don't think I would equip them with much more than that. Maybe some basic Cloaks of Resistance, Gauntlets of Strength, or maybe, maybe a Minor Cloak of Displacement.

Bodyguards do survive longer than Meatbags but not too much longer. When the bodyguards start to need flight to keep up with you, change them out for flying bodyguards rather than spend gold on giving them flight.
The ones im making are pretty beafy with over 300 hp (385) and huge size. And already got a huge strength (51). So I expect to keep them a while, as I am a gnome they block line of sight from me pretty well with the huge tower shields they have.

OldTrees1
2017-03-17, 03:31 PM
The ones im making are pretty beafy with over 300 hp (385) and huge size. And already got a huge strength (51). So I expect to keep them a while, as I am a gnome they block line of sight from me pretty well with the huge tower shields they have.

I usually lost my bodyguards to non hp threats(spells) or to needing an upgrade(Flight -> Feats -> Features)

flappeercraft
2017-03-17, 07:15 PM

Since the Bodyguards are Undead you should make them immune/hard to Turn/Rebuke. Lifeward helps and so does the Cloak of Turn Resistance (Libris Mortis)

BananaNomNom
2017-03-17, 07:22 PM
Since the Bodyguards are Undead you should make them immune/hard to Turn/Rebuke. Lifeward helps and so does the Cloak of Turn Resistance (Libris Mortis)

I'm not so scarred about that as they have a effective HD of 40 and we are 9th Level.

flappeercraft
2017-03-17, 08:06 PM
I'm not so scarred about that as they have a effective HD of 40 and we are 9th Level.

Could I know what kind of undead you are using as body guards? I'm curious.

BananaNomNom
2017-03-17, 08:32 PM
Could I know what kind of undead you are using as body guards? I'm curious.

They are some pretty Buff Bugbears we Killed as they were kinda like the BBEG's Henchmen.

flappeercraft
2017-03-17, 08:39 PM
They are some pretty Buff Bugbears we Killed as they were kinda like the BBEG's Henchmen.

I'm guessing DM fiat, am I right? Bugbears can only advance by Class level not by HD and if they were advancing by Class level that would make them level 37 to have that much HD. Or are you using some special kind o fundead that has more HD? If it's Zombies which double HD, they would not keep Class levels.

BananaNomNom
2017-03-17, 08:42 PM
I'm guessing DM fiat, am I right? Bugbears can only advance by Class level not by HD and if they were advancing by Class level that would make them level 37 to have that much HD. Or are you using some special kind o fundead that has more HD? If it's Zombies which double HD, they would not keep Class levels.

Its more of my feat selections as i have a lot of turn resistance feats built into them. Along with their already buffness. Also "Bone Creature Templates are fun"

OldTrees1
2017-03-17, 09:21 PM
Its more of my feat selections as i have a lot of turn resistance feats built into them. Along with their already buffness. Also "Bone Creature Templates are fun"

Wait, Bone Creature Template? You do know those cannot be controlled by Animate Dead(because they cannot be created by animate dead) or Command Undead(spell, because they are not mindless)?

If you are using Bone Creature Bugbears, why not just Rebuke/Command undead a better suited undead?

Edit: I just noticed your #DreadNecromancerForLife in another thread. So you are probably a Dread Necromancer.
I would suggest getting better undead for your Rebuke Undead pool, but those undead should stick around long enough to be well outfitted. Perhaps get them some cheap magic armor & tower shield to give them some special abilities.

BananaNomNom
2017-03-17, 09:50 PM
Wait, Bone Creature Template? You do know those cannot be controlled by Animate Dead(because they cannot be created by animate dead) or Command Undead(spell, because they are not mindless)?

If you are using Bone Creature Bugbears, why not just Rebuke/Command undead a better suited undead?

Edit: I just noticed your #DreadNecromancerForLife in another thread. So you are probably a Dread Necromancer.
I would suggest getting better undead for your Rebuke Undead pool, but those undead should stick around long enough to be well outfitted. Perhaps get them some cheap magic armor & tower shield to give them some special abilities.

well you see I am a Deplomancer on the side so I have some sway with the dead.

Coidzor
2017-03-18, 10:38 PM
Any source restrictions?

Are they primarily melee beasts? Melee weapon-using humanoid-ish creatures? Ranged weapon-using humanoid-ish creatures?

BananaNomNom
2017-03-18, 11:00 PM
Any source restrictions?

Are they primarily melee beasts? Melee weapon-using humanoid-ish creatures? Ranged weapon-using humanoid-ish creatures?

Wanna keep it in general settings no campaign specific setting. They are Melee/Ranged Humanoid Creaures.

Calthropstu
2017-03-19, 04:03 AM
I have never tried equipping undead before. Can you dual wield them?

BananaNomNom
2017-03-19, 11:37 AM
I have never tried equipping undead before. Can you dual wield them?

Possible but they get major negatives like any other character dual wielding.