PDA

View Full Version : Circle of the Shepard druid's Spirit bond wolf and Goodberry.

hamiltond465
2017-03-16, 11:38 PM
If a cleric's Disciple of Life works on Goodberry, will the Wolf Spirit Bond also work?

I'd guess not, as a 2nd level druid with a party of four could heal something like 100hp with it.

Spirit Bond Wolf: - from Unearthed Arcana Circle of the Shepherd

The wolf spirit lends you and your allies its precise senses, while your magic works to benefit the members of your pack. You and your allies gain advantage on all ability checks made to detect creatures in the spirit’s aura. In addition, if you cast a spell with a spell slot that restores hit points to anyone inside or outside the aura, each of your allies in the aura also regains hit points equal to your druid level.

Disciple of Life: - player's guide pg 60

Also starting at 1st level, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

Goodberry - player's guide 246
Goodberry
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a sprig of mistletoe)
Duration: Instantaneous

Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its
action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to
sustain a creature for one day. The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

tkuremento
2017-03-16, 11:44 PM
I'd say no given that the healing is from the class ability and not from a spell. Whilst the class ability triggers from casting a healing spell, it is not the same for the sake of the Disciple of Life.

Edit: I think I misinterpreted what you meant. You mean each time a Goodberry is eaten you'd trigger the Wolf ability?

Seclora
2017-03-17, 12:22 AM
I see two possible readings.

The first is that the healing from Goodberry(1) receives the bonus healing from Disciple of Life(3, in this case), and then each time an ally receives this healing from your spell, your allies affected by your Spirit Bond Wolf would receive healing equal to your druid level(or 2 * #of allies, which in this example is 4, so 8). As such, the total possible healing from the spell, with the given variables, is 120([1+3+8]*10). I agree that you wouldn't get additional healing from Disciple of Life on the heals bestowed by your Spirit Bond Wolf anymore than would your Spirit Bond Wolf bestow additional healing on account of the heals it bestowed itself. Both are class features, and both clearly specify healing from your spells.
Also your party would be ridiculously full because you just divided 240 hours of sustenance between 4 people. Fat little hobbitses!

The second possibility is that you receive no bonus healing whatsoever from either Disciple of Life or Spirit Bond Wolf, because Goodberry is not technically a spell that restores hit points. It is a spell that creates magical goodberries, which can be consumed to restore hit points. Its a technicality, but somewhere a DM will rule it this way, and you deserve to be forewarned.

hymer
2017-03-17, 04:19 AM
Going off your quotes: Considering it is 'cast' a spell (totem) and 'use' a spell (disciple), I'm thinking they don't intend to have Goodberry-eating trigger the totem ability. I'm not even sure casting the spell counts, as it does not directly heal.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-17, 09:22 AM
If a cleric's Disciple of Life works on Goodberry, will the Wolf Spirit Bond also work?

I'd guess not, as a 2nd level druid with a party of four could heal something like 100hp with it.

Spirit Bond Wolf: - from Unearthed Arcana Circle of the Shepherd

The wolf spirit lends you and your allies its precise senses, while your magic works to benefit the members of your pack. You and your allies gain advantage on all ability checks made to detect creatures in the spirit’s aura. In addition, if you cast a spell with a spell slot that restores hit points to anyone inside or outside the aura, each of your allies in the aura also regains hit points equal to your druid level.

Disciple of Life: - player's guide pg 60

Also starting at 1st level, your healing spells are more effective. Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2 + the spell’s level.

Goodberry - player's guide 246
Goodberry
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (a sprig of mistletoe)
Duration: Instantaneous

Up to ten berries appear in your hand and are infused with magic for the duration. A creature can use its
action to eat one berry. Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to
sustain a creature for one day. The berries lose their potency if they have not been consumed within 24 hours of the casting of this spell.

Goodberry is not a spell that you cast "to restore hit points to a creature", nor is it "a spell with a spell slot that restores hit points to anyone". It is a spell that you cast to create 10 berries.

SharkForce
2017-03-17, 12:17 PM
Goodberry is not a spell that you cast "to restore hit points to a creature", nor is it "a spell with a spell slot that restores hit points to anyone". It is a spell that you cast to create 10 berries.

devs have explicity said life cleric works with goodberry.

i don't think the spirit bond would though, because the life cleric specifies use while the druid ability specifies cast; when someone eats a goodberry, you are using a spell slot to restore HP. but you are not casting a spell.

there could be an argument that when you cast goodberry, you get the benefit of the wolf spirit bond once only, but from the sound of it i would say technically no. you require two parts for the ability to work; you must cast a spell *and* that spell must restore hit points to someone inside or outside of the aura. since those events are not simultaneous, i'd say technically you don't get the healing.

(i would, however, allow a burst of healing once immediately upon the spell being cast anyways, since it is reasonable to presume that the spell *will* at some point heal a person who is either in or out of the aura. i would not allow it per berry. but then, i also don't like the disciple of life turning a 10 point heal into a 40 point heal, either).

Tetrasodium
2017-03-17, 05:16 PM
devs have explicity said life cleric works with goodberry.

i don't think the spirit bond would though, because the life cleric specifies use while the druid ability specifies cast; when someone eats a goodberry, you are using a spell slot to restore HP. but you are not casting a spell.

there could be an argument that when you cast goodberry, you get the benefit of the wolf spirit bond once only, but from the sound of it i would say technically no. you require two parts for the ability to work; you must cast a spell *and* that spell must restore hit points to someone inside or outside of the aura. since those events are not simultaneous, i'd say technically you don't get the healing.

(i would, however, allow a burst of healing once immediately upon the spell being cast anyways, since it is reasonable to presume that the spell *will* at some point heal a person who is either in or out of the aura. i would not allow it per berry. but then, i also don't like the disciple of life turning a 10 point heal into a 40 point heal, either).

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/rules-answers-august-2015

I stand corrected, pretty impressive actually.

youngpoet_467
2018-02-10, 01:12 PM
YOU CAN ONLY EAT ONE BERRY AS AN ACTION
You can't get more than 6 or 9 hp from one berry per round no matter which way you slice it. Out of combat, sure. Super berries, but that's not game breaking. And no... shepherd totem says casting a spell to heal so goodberry doesn't fit. Is this thread just over out of combat healing? Or did some one think you can shove a handful in your mouth all at once and your head won't explode? :-P

Strangways
2018-02-10, 01:23 PM
I'd say probably not, because Goodberry isn't a spell that heals someone. If it worked at all with the Wolf Totem, it would work only once, when you cast the Goodberry spell. It wouldn't work when people ate the Goodberries, because eating Goodberries isn't casting a spell.