PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Stacking the same magic belts/rings with charges ?

Gruftzwerg
2017-03-17, 01:25 AM
Hi folks, I have a cheesy question:

What really happens when stacking the same magical belts or rings (with charges) and can it be abused?

As far as I know, stacking more magic items than intended on the slot lets the later added magic items become nonfunctional (see rules for rings). Imho if you use magic items with charges like Belt of Battle that ain't a big deal and could be abused.

As soon as you used up your first belt (or ring), just use an action to loosen the node ( or get the ring of your hand) and either drop it (free action?) or put it away (standard action), automatically activating/readying the next belt (ring) in line.

What do you think? Would it work as RAW? Any rules I missed maybe? And last, how would you DM it (yes / no / dependent on optimization) ?

Venger
2017-03-17, 01:39 AM
Hi folks, I have a cheesy question:

What really happens when stacking the same magical belts or rings (with charges) and can it be abused?

As far as I know, stacking more magic items than intended on the slot lets the later added magic items become nonfunctional (see rules for rings). Imho if you use magic items with charges like Belt of Battle that ain't a big deal and could be abused.

As soon as you used up your first belt (or ring), just use an action to loosen the node ( or get the ring of your hand) and either drop it (free action?) or put it away (standard action), automatically activating/readying the next belt (ring) in line.

What do you think? Would it work as RAW? Any rules I missed maybe? And last, how would you DM it (yes / no / dependent on optimization) ?

That's an interesting question.

As Hennet illustrates, it's certainly possible to wear more than one belt at a time.

For gameplay purposes, you probably shouldn't do this. Less because of actual mechanical balance issues (I mean if you can afford 2 belts of battle, that means you didn't spend a bunch of money on other stuff) and more because it will get really annoying to track a whole bunch of different belts and you will inevitably forget about most of them.

A compromise between leaving things as they are and wearing NI belts, mentally deciding which is "active" depending on charges is to just use the combining item rules in MIC. the most expensive item serves as the base, and if you want to add extra items onto it, then you multiply the cost by 1.5 for subsequent things

e.g. thing 1 costs 10k, thing 2 costs 5k. when you add it on, it costs 7.5k, so the item is 17.5 total
e.g. thing 1 costs 5k, thing 2 costs 10k. when you add it, 2 becomes the new base, so you'd "add" 2.5 for item 1 and the total cost is still 17.5

just have your primary be say "belt of battle" and then your secondary also be "belt of battle" (or whatever) obviously it won't stack if the things offer bonuses such as boots of striding and springing, since it's the same type, but if it's just a charge item, then you've gotten what you're after in a way that's unlikely to either break the bank or make it take forever for you to take your turn.