PDA

View Full Version : Mobile and melee spell attacks

Baldin
2017-03-17, 03:55 AM
Hi guys,

So my group and me started playing 5e quite recently and are enjoying it. We are 3,5 veterans and are very happy with the way lower tier classes have been balanced and made usefull.

Now I have a question regarding the feat Mobile. The druid in our party picked this feat. Now in the last combat he used his Thorn Whip to attack a creature, pulled it adjecent to himself and then moved away. The question is, does Mobile negate the opportunity attack? The feat states:
When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Is a melee spell attack concidered a melee attack? For now we ruled that it does.

What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Baldin

NNescio
2017-03-17, 03:59 AM
Hi guys,

So my group and me started playing 5e quite recently and are enjoying it. We are 3,5 veterans and are very happy with the way lower tier classes have been balanced and made usefull.

Now I have a question regarding the feat Mobile. The druid in our party picked this feat. Now in the last combat he used his Thorn Whip to attack a creature, pulled it adjecent to himself and then moved away. The question is, does Mobile negate the opportunity attack? The feat states:
When you make a melee attack against a creature, you don’t provoke opportunity attacks from that creature for the rest of the turn, whether you hit or not.

Is a melee spell attack concidered a melee attack? For now we ruled that it does.

What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Baldin

Yes.

Mobile doesn't specify "melee weapon attack", so any melee attack would qualify, including melee spell attacks.

(By the same vein, you can also opt to do nonlethal damage with melee spell attacks.)

Arkhios
2017-03-17, 04:01 AM
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts?
Cheers
Baldin

Yes. A melee [spell/weapon] attack is a melee attack. As to should Thorn Whip trigger Mobile the answer is yes. A melee spell attack does let you move away without provoking an opportunity attack.