PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Sizes and attacking

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 04:09 AM
Is there a penalty for attacking things smaller than you or is that already factored into their ac? Like say a large creature attacks a small one, does it get just the -1 or is it -1 per smaller size?

Asking cause i got an assamar rogue who is considering reduce person on themselves for the ac boost and dex boost

Kantolin
2017-03-17, 04:19 AM
It is already factored in, with both AC penalties/bonuses and to-hit penalties/bonuses. Large creatures, for example, have a -1 to hit while attacking anybody (which is why they have a -1 to AC for being large, so they have as easy of a time hitting each other as two humans would have hitting each other)

Reduce person still does boost your AC due to reducing your size and raising yoru defense, and also gives you a +1 to hit, so it does help. Be careful, though - your weapon shrinks along with you and will do a little damage, although as a rogue most of your damage is likely from sneak attack anyway.

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 04:32 AM
Ok, i thought that was the case, but 48 hrs of no sleep confused me

And i told him the same thing on damage, ...he is fairly new so i had to....talk him out of spending 20k gold on a +2 improved shadow chain shirt ...we are headed towards more reasonable items to help him now lol( lvl 8 so only 27k)

Denver
2017-03-17, 04:38 AM
Be careful, though - your weapon shrinks along with you and will do a little damage, although as a rogue most of your damage is likely from sneak attack anyway.

Indeed - I played a Tibbit Rogue who would transform into her cat form and then have the party wizard cast Reduce Monster (custom spell the wizard researched, since Tibbits are not a legal target for Reduce Person) on the cat, reducing her to Dimunitive size. Her claw attacks were pathetic, and she had to occupy enemy squares to hurt them, but the sheer number of Sneak Attack surprise rounds she was able to get was fantastic.

OP:
If your Aasimar Rogue is considering getting a Reduce Person made permanent, I say do it. Rogues do just fine at smaller sizes, and it seems like your DM is ok with Reduce Person working on an Outsider.

Edit: And don't forget the tertiary benefits - being smaller means you are able to go more places big people can't go, and you can hide better when you get there.

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 04:45 AM
Blinks.... I forgot they arnt a valid target!!! ...like i said 48hrs nonsleep atm

..but i dont see why it shouldnt be ok...he looks human enough >>

..any low optimization/ no optimization ideas for gear on him? Currently ive suggested. .+4 dex item, +1 chain shirt perma reduce ( his max dex is 2 lower than his max dex so maybe changw it from chain shirt?) +1 ....bow i think he wants and a +1 ring of protection. For 27k ish gold ( should be like 500 over due to masterwork but i said its finw)

Denver
2017-03-17, 04:57 AM
See if you can't convince the Rogue to give up that sweet +1 bow and instead pick up an Anklet of Translocation, which will allow him to teleport up to ten feet, twice a day, as a Swift action. It's an extremely useful item, and even more so for a Rogue.

Other than that, sounds like a pretty standard gear setup. :)

Edit: Now that I think on it a moment longer, see if you can come up with a way to afford a Hand of the Mage, as well. It's only 900 gold, and it gives your Rogue Mage Hand at will, which is quite useful if he plans on doing anything sneaky, or stealy, or otherwise Rogue-like.

finaldooms
2017-03-17, 05:30 AM
Personally id rather he get a melee weapon, ...im sorta dm ( i started the game but had a kid so taking a break) and the current dm is running them through the tomb of horrors...which i havnt done in years lol
But il see about the bracelet ...i know he is getting penetrating strike acf for sure. .pretty much told him he needed that

KillianHawkeye
2017-03-18, 03:13 PM
Blinks.... I forgot they arnt a valid target!!! ...like i said 48hrs nonsleep atm

..but i dont see why it shouldnt be ok...he looks human enough >>

If you use the "Lesser Planetouched" variant from one of the Forgotten Realms books (Player's Guide to Faerun, I think?), you can trade the Aasimar's Native Outsider type for Humanoid (Planetouched), and lose the +1 Level Adjustment as well.