PDA

View Full Version : rogue 17 / mystic 3(nomad order) or rogue 17 / fighter 3

Phazed
2017-03-17, 07:26 AM
Im kind of a min maxer, My DM is super chill with rules and allowing things. He allows me to pull out both my daggers on my turn and use my action and bonus action to throw both my daggers. Im going for a very throwing dagger build with a mix of melee when needed. I dont want to always be throwing my dagger especially if they are like in melee range. I was looking into mystic because it seems to have some cool things and a lot of potential. if i go 3 mystic i can use 3 psi with speed dart to do 3d10 dmg, that makes up for the loss of 1d6 SA ill be behind. but than i look into fighter and its maneuvers it can do and thats a SA when not my turn to use riposte. Also one thing im not too fond of is using my bonus action to use speed dart on my weapon because than im only throwing one dagger and that kind of takes away from the rp feel i like of throwing two daggers. Whats your thoughts on this? any other ideas for a min max dmg feel while throwing daggers.

Ferrin33
2017-03-17, 08:53 AM
Im kind of a min maxer, My DM is super chill with rules and allowing things. He allows me to pull out both my daggers on my turn and use my action and bonus action to throw both my daggers. Im going for a very throwing dagger build with a mix of melee when needed. I dont want to always be throwing my dagger especially if they are like in melee range. I was looking into mystic because it seems to have some cool things and a lot of potential. if i go 3 mystic i can use 3 psi with speed dart to do 3d10 dmg, that makes up for the loss of 1d6 SA ill be behind. but than i look into fighter and its maneuvers it can do and thats a SA when not my turn to use riposte. Also one thing im not too fond of is using my bonus action to use speed dart on my weapon because than im only throwing one dagger and that kind of takes away from the rp feel i like of throwing two daggers. Whats your thoughts on this? any other ideas for a min max dmg feel while throwing daggers.

As a Mystic 3 you will have access to 4 disciplines, for what you're planning you likely get the most out of Nomad. Extra skills, and being able to avoid any hit as a reaction once per short rest. As for the disciplines themselves; you should look into buffs and the Psychic Focus more than anything, your damage primarily comes from the rogue class and with only 3 levels of mystic there's not much there to add to your damage.

Most notable Disciplines for you:
Mastery of Air - Cloak of Air and Wind Step
Mastery of Light and Darkness - Psychic Focus + Darkness ability for easy advantage
Nomadic Chameleon - Psychic Focus and Step from Sight
Nomadic Mind - Psychic Focus and some abilities to find targets.
Nomadic Step - A lot of teleportation effects

tkuremento
2017-03-17, 11:59 AM
Speed Dart says "ranged weapon" and daggers are not that. Darts are ranged weapons though.

djreynolds
2017-03-18, 03:52 AM
Speed Dart says "ranged weapon" and daggers are not that. Darts are ranged weapons though.

Toss in 3 levels of college of swords in there, that could work

Sir cryosin
2017-03-18, 09:00 AM
I would say 5 lv in mystic for the nomatic arrow's faithful Archer is a nice ability for your build. I would use darts because daggers are not a range weapon but dart are. You just say the darts are throwing knifes. Then I would also recommend mastery of force because you can get 14+Dex mod for AC unless you go immortal then you get 10+Dex+con mod for AC.

Phazed
2017-03-19, 08:51 AM
I would say 5 lv in mystic for the nomatic arrow's faithful Archer is a nice ability for your build. I would use darts because daggers are not a range weapon but dart are. You just say the darts are throwing knifes. Then I would also recommend mastery of force because you can get 14+Dex mod for AC unless you go immortal then you get 10+Dex+con mod for AC.

faithful archer seems good, 15 rogue and 5 mystic, we have home brew rules that daggers count as ranged if i throw them so speed dart works on them, and sharpshooter works on them also. but the issue i see is id only be able to do that 4 times at max, id have 27 psi, 5 used for faithful archer, and 5 psi for speed dart, thats not even counting the fact that if im in a dungeon i might be using psi to teleport or do something else besides speed dart, if i use psi to dodge or anything survival thats 2 psi right there, so im a fight depending on how many rounds it goes i could only do this 1-2 times probably. unless i dont use any psi and always save it for fights. but again like i said, you have to long rest to get psi back, so if im in a dungeon i might not have time for that.

if everything hit max, the potential 4(dagger) + 5(dex) + 48SA + 4(dagger) + 5(dex) + 10SS + 10SS + 50(speed dart) = 136

i like the potential mystic and rogue could have, but maybe im only too focused on the combat part and the dmg, this seems like a very rare chance, like 17 rogue and 3 fighter almost seems better because all i need is short rest, and i get 4 chances of riposte or to hit if i miss, short rest are also way easier to do after fights instead of long rests. but i have no idea, im very very new to d&d

Phazed
2017-03-19, 08:52 AM
As a Mystic 3 you will have access to 4 disciplines, for what you're planning you likely get the most out of Nomad. Extra skills, and being able to avoid any hit as a reaction once per short rest. As for the disciplines themselves; you should look into buffs and the Psychic Focus more than anything, your damage primarily comes from the rogue class and with only 3 levels of mystic there's not much there to add to your damage.

Most notable Disciplines for you:
Mastery of Air - Cloak of Air and Wind Step
Mastery of Light and Darkness - Psychic Focus + Darkness ability for easy advantage
Nomadic Chameleon - Psychic Focus and Step from Sight
Nomadic Mind - Psychic Focus and some abilities to find targets.
Nomadic Step - A lot of teleportation effects

scroll down a bit and look at my other post, what if i went 5 mystic?

Ferrin33
2017-03-19, 09:36 AM
scroll down a bit and look at my other post, what if i went 5 mystic?

I'd recommend going Fighter 5 instead then, Extra Attack, Action Surge, and Archery/two-weapon fighting style.

Rather than spending 5 pp to get extra attack just for ranged weapons, which costs concentration, or spending your precious PP to boost your damage with speed dart which prevents making an off-hand attack, you can do those things without a cost.

You wouldn't get some of the other goodies of the mystic though, like some good Psychic Foci, teleportation discipline and the like, but you would be more consistent in combat without spending resources.

So simply said; mystic if you want a limited pool to use on cool abilities, look to other classes if you want to focus on dealing more damage. The mystic does have some good passive abilities to help in and out of combat though, but extra attack + Fighting Style just makes it more consistent to deal damage as it's unlikely to miss out on your sneak attack damage.

You could also opt to go Rogue11/Mystic9:
Those 4 levels of rogue make you lose out on; 2d6 sneak attack, lvl 13 Rogue archetype feature, Blindsense, and Slippery Mind.
From the 4 extra levels of mystic you get: lvl 6 Mystic order feature, 1d8 Potent Psionics, 2 Disciplines, Psi-point cap to 7 instead of 5, 30 PP(More than doubling it), and 4 hp from the d8 hd(8 with immortal)

Potent Psionics adds 4.5 average damage each turn, while losing out on 2d6 sneak attack loses out on 7 potential damage each turn.
Slippery Mind is really good, and allows you to use your Strength of Mind class feature from the mystic to switch it around each day.
Blindsense can be replicated with a discipline if you want it, and be even better than the blindsense you lose out on.
The 7 Psi-point limit means you get to use some really powerful options from your disciplines, and able to use them more than twice as often because of your psi-point pool of 57 instead of 27.