PDA

View Full Version : Arcane tattoos

Uncle Pine
2017-03-17, 10:46 AM
Ok so this could turn out to be a stupid question, but bear with me:

Everyone should be aware that psionic tattoos (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) are really cool (and if you don't go check the article, they're amazing). I've recently rediscovered the Getting Wired, so every now and then I'll play around with a few builds using a capacitor+transducer+mental tap circuit or another and it's been extremely fun and versatile.
Does an arcane version of all of this exist outside of using a bunch of custom, slotless, at-will items that let you cast spells? Because that would intrigue me.

Zaq
2017-03-17, 11:12 AM
There's a spell to make a magic tattoo (AFB, but I think it's in SpC), but it works totally differently from psionic tattoos.

Psionic tattoos are loosely based off of potions, so looking at potions would be your best guess. There's the Quick Potion spell to turn slots into potions without spending gold, and there's the old trick of using CArc's potion-tiles with Rebuild Item, though that takes a very large investment. If you allow PF, I think the PF Alchemist has some potion-related tricks, but I'm not familiar with the details.

But there's nothing out of the box that works quite like Getting Wired, no.

Palanan
2017-03-17, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Pine
Does an arcane version of all of this exist…?

Races of Faerûn has the Tattoo Magic feat, which allows you to paint tattoos onto yourself or other creatures, and then enchant them with spells you cast. These are touch-activated magic items which can be used by anyone, not just spellcasters.

I don’t know anything about Getting Wired, but this is the best option I know for creating both arcane and divine tattoos. I’ve used this feat extensively and loved it, since it let me share druid spells with other party members.

Uncle Pine
2017-03-17, 01:11 PM
There's a spell to make a magic tattoo (AFB, but I think it's in SpC), but it works totally differently from psionic tattoos.

Psionic tattoos are loosely based off of potions, so looking at potions would be your best guess. There's the Quick Potion spell to turn slots into potions without spending gold, and there's the old trick of using CArc's potion-tiles with Rebuild Item, though that takes a very large investment. If you allow PF, I think the PF Alchemist has some potion-related tricks, but I'm not familiar with the details.

But there's nothing out of the box that works quite like Getting Wired, no.

Potions are cool and there's a ton of stuff to make them better and more versatile/interesting (spellvials, Master Alchemist, oil chambers, CA's teeth, etc.), but they generally lack the key aspect of being reusable like tattoos do. Quick Potion's nice though, with the added benefit that lesser metamagic rods of Extend are pretty darn cheap so a clever party could always have various disposable potions created the day before. It's a concept that's interesting enough to be worth exploring, but it doesn't exactly suit my needs.

Races of Faerûn has the Tattoo Magic feat, which allows you to paint tattoos onto yourself or other creatures, and then enchant them with spells you cast. These are touch-activated magic items which can be used by anyone, not just spellcasters.

I don’t know anything about Getting Wired, but this is the best option I know for creating both arcane and divine tattoos. I’ve used this feat extensively and loved it, since it let me share druid spells with other party members.

I had never heard of Tattoo Magic to be honest and all things considered it looks like Craft Contingent Spell's little cousin, without the contingency. Interestingly enough, even the costs are the same if you consider that contingent spells are slotless (spell level*CL*100 gp). But hey, at least Tattoo Magic is available at 3rd level instead of requiring CL 11th (maybe achievable at 3rd level, but we'll leave that for another time), so it's nice to know it exists.

... But now it occurred to me that I could just pay a StP Erudite to craft psionic tattoos with spells in it. I knew there had to be a simple option somewhere! :smallredface:

Thurbane
2017-03-17, 04:22 PM

Create Magic Tattoo (Sor/wiz 2) (SC p.55).

Gives bonuses to saves, attack rolls or AC; at higher levels can also give SR, +2 to an ability score or +1 CL. Lasts 24 hours.

Not a terrible buff for a 2nd level spell. Extend spell makes it 48 hours for a 3rd level slot.