PDA

View Full Version : Building Captain Cantrip

Dudewithknives
2017-03-17, 01:59 PM
So here is my plan.

I want to build a character who has a very wide access to cantrips and also build his combat strategy around it.

I was thinking 1 of 3 ways to go about it.

Normal 27 point buy and pretty much all UA is allowed except for the Mystic one.

1. A Hexblade Tome Warlock VHuman with the Magic Initiate Feat.

2. An Arcana Domain Cleric VHuman with Magic Initiate Feat for a few more cantrips.

3. A Sorcerer either Red Dragon or Stone also Mag. Init. Feat to take a few more cantrips.

I am just looking for a guy who makes the most out of cantrips, with a single class is the only issue.

Maxilian
2017-03-17, 02:23 PM
Only 1 class, that's an issue...

Well..., if you want your cantrips to have some kind of effect in the world (not have them for the sake of having them), i would recommed:

-Sea Sorcerer (The Curse let you empower your cantrips -Making them a little more useful-
-Eldritch Knight (At lvl 7 you get the ability to use your cantrip and an attack with a melee weapon -letting your damage be always in a nice spot-)

Note: The class that would give you more options whem it comes to cantrips is the Bard, also have in mind that the High Elf get extra cantrips -INT based-, some Genasis also give you some cantrips (like Fire Genasi)

Note2: In general, i believe the best class to take the most advantage of a couple of cantrips is the Eldritch Knight (Excluding Eldritch Blast, that's Warlock things, though it could, still, be useful for an Eldritch Knight that fights with a Polearm)

Dudewithknives
2017-03-17, 02:27 PM
Only 1 class, that's an issue...

Well..., if you want your cantrips to have some kind of effect in the world (not have them for the sake of having them), i would recommed:

-Sea Sorcerer (The Curse let you empower your cantrips -Making them a little more useful-
-Eldritch Knight (At lvl 7 you get the ability to use your cantrip and an attack with a melee weapon -letting your damage be always in a nice spot-)

Note: The class that would give you more options whem it comes to cantrips is the Bard, also have in mind that the High Elf get extra cantrips -INT based-.

I really like the idea of building around the melee cantrips, completely forgot to mention that, so making the best out of GFB and BB.

Sea Sorcerer is not too bad, I will look into that one.

Maxilian
2017-03-17, 02:29 PM
I really like the idea of building around the melee cantrips, completely forgot to mention that, so making the best out of GFB and BB.

Sea Sorcerer is not too bad, I will look into that one.

If you want to work around range cantrips with the Eldritch Knight, just go with reach weapons (Or with a Bugbear -They get extra 5 feet to their melee weapons-)