PDA

View Full Version : Class advice

PapaMojo
2017-03-17, 03:24 PM
I'm playing a lesser Thri-Kreen and I want to just go completely nuts on jump. Are there any classes, feats, or prestige classes that benefit from and/or improve jump? I came across the Dragoon prestige class which seemed quite nice but I want to know as many options as possible.

flappeercraft
2017-03-17, 03:28 PM
I'm playing a lesser Thri-Kreen and I want to just go completely nuts on jump. Are there any classes, feats, or prestige classes that benefit from and/or improve jump? I came across the Dragoon prestige class which seemed quite nice but I want to know as many options as possible.

In Dungeonscape IIRC there are a couple feats related to jumping. Also Leap attack can be useful especially if you go the Ubercharger route.

PapaMojo
2017-03-17, 03:33 PM
Thanks mate. I should probably mention I'm playing 3.5. Anybody got anyhthing else?

Inevitability
2017-03-17, 03:41 PM
A large number of Tiger Claw disciplines from Tome of Battle benefit from good jump checks. Sudden Leap is notorious for enabling ridiculously fast, swift-action movement, for example.

Even if you're not willing to go Warblade or Swordsage, the Martial Study feat can give you a discipline.

gorfnab
2017-03-17, 04:42 PM
I came across the Dragoon prestige class which seemed quite nice but I want to know as many options as possible.
I'm not familiar with any actual Dragoon prestige classes. Where did you find it?

Also here is a handbook that may help your build. Little Red Raiding Hood: A Tale of the Many-Classed Dragoon
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200.0)

flappeercraft
2017-03-17, 04:47 PM
I'm not familiar with any actual Dragoon prestige classes. Where did you find it?

Also here is a handbook that may help your build. Little Red Raiding Hood: A Tale of the Many-Classed Dragoon
(http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200.0)

I just looked it up. Its from the dreaded site. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dragoon_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

PapaMojo
2017-03-17, 05:09 PM
What do you mean "dreaded site"? I'm kinda new to online material.

Inevitability
2017-03-17, 05:15 PM
What do you mean "dreaded site"? I'm kinda new to online material.

Dndwiki is not official, it's tons of material made by random people. Because most of it only gets proofread by the creator, it tends to be either over- or underpowered. In addition, the way the site is set up, people easily confuse official material with homebrew.

Dagroth
2017-03-17, 05:19 PM
While some things on that site are fine, there is much broken content there. Including a Feat for any Outsider 5HD or higher to have at-will Teleport. The Celestial Disciple, which turns you into a Half-Celestial, progresses your Divine Casting every level, gives you full BAB and other stuff besides. Oh, and as-written it gives you a bunch of stat bonuses and then gives you all the stat bonuses of Half-Celestial on top of that as the capstone.

PapaMojo
2017-03-17, 06:07 PM
Well bugger. So after looking at it, do you think the Dragoon is under or overpowered? Or is it actually relativly balenced?

Zancloufer
2017-03-17, 06:08 PM
I second Warblade. They have a number of manoeuvres in the Tiger Claw Disciple that benefit/require a good jump check. Worth sticking in it all the way as Warblade 20 is solid and the top tier Tiger Claw manoeuvre is a quite nasty SoD that's only really available to martial adepts.

EDIT: Looking at the Dragoon PrC, it is Borked. Like a 1 level Dip (which is really easy to obtain) lands you instant win at vertical jump checks, ignoring fall damage, Evasion, and a Standard attack that does 3x damage with a lance/spear (or 15x with a critical!!!). There are some other really nice things (mostly swift action movement and crit fishing with polearms, 25% chance for 5x crits vs larger enemies is silly). It's silly OP if you have room to jump and more useless than 10 levels of fighter if you can't.

Darrin
2017-03-17, 06:20 PM
Totemist dip with the Krenshar Mask or Landshark Boots can give you a pretty big Jump bonus.

My T'chub-T'chub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18981080&postcount=23) build uses Thri-Kreen to make a lot of Jump checks.

Particle_Man
2017-03-18, 05:43 PM
Leadership where your cohort and followers are all thri-keen and you are all standing on each other shoulders, each reading a jump for when the one below it is at the top if its jump? I think you could get pretty high. :smallsmile:

Also, you or the cohort could take forge ring to get a ring of jumping. Or craft wondrous item for boots of striding and springing, perhaps?

Soranar
2017-03-18, 09:25 PM
battle jump (feat) lets you treat falling down on your opponent (at least 5 feet) as a charge and it does double damage with any weapon

if you pump your jump high enough you can literally jump onto people's head (mario style) for crazy damage

noce
2017-03-19, 05:05 AM
The feat Leap of the Heavens lets you jump on spot as if you had a running start (effectively doubling the distance you can jump).