PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Which Version of the Advanced Class Guide Do I Have?

Palanan
2017-03-17, 04:21 PM
So, I’ve just received my long-awaited ACG, two and a half months after I first ordered it. Thankfully Amazon didn’t mangle it the way they have so many other Pathfinder products.

But I’m confused about which version I’ve received. When I contacted Paizo a couple months ago, some helpful CSRs indicated that the delays were due to a reprint and its passage through the great pinball of international distribution. That would suggest this is a new, updated reprint, but the credits page lists it as the second printing, August 2015. I was expecting late 2016 or even earliest 2017.

Just a couple minutes of flipping through reveals at least one discrepancy in item pricing, which looks like an uncorrected editorial error—but some of the more widely-discussed errata (Slashing Grace in particular) seem to have been incorporated. The brawler is proficient with shields, Battle Cry is no longer an insight bonus, skalds have Perform (wind), etc. Most of the errata discussed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?416971-Spoilers-from-PaizoCon/page7) seem to be in their proper places now—but the print date is 2015, and there are still some glaring mistakes in the text.

So, which version is this, and do I need additional errata to use it correctly?

(Also, we still have “Pathfinder Adventure Path” on the cover (http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lgcs?A-Tale-of-Two-Covers). Just sayin’.)

Sayt
2017-03-17, 04:30 PM
At the very bottom of the credits page there should be a line reading "[Nth] printing" second printing, the most recent, was August 2015.

Palanan
2017-03-17, 04:40 PM
Right, and it reads "Second printing, August 2015."

What I'm puzzled about is why it doesn't read 2016 or 2017, since according to the Paizo CSRs there was another reprint in the last couple of months. Given that some errata have been incorporated, but there are still some obvious editorial mistakes, I'm not sure what version this is.

Sayt
2017-03-17, 10:10 PM
Looking at the paizo site, they only have an errata for first to second printing for the ACG. Ultimate Equipment had a recent errata, which you might be thinking of? (RIP Jingasa)

Alternatively, it could be that it's being worked on, bit not yet released.

Palanan
2017-03-18, 11:24 AM
Vic Wertz clarified this for me in a thread on the Paizo site.

They’ve just received a new batch of freshly printed copies from China, which they’ve passed along to their distributor, and which are now trickling out to people who had the book on order. This is another print run of the second printing from August 2015, which incorporates all the errata up to that point. Since it doesn’t include any additional errata after that date, it’s not officially considered a third printing. At this point they’re not planning on an updated version with additional errata, so any future print runs will still be dated August 2015.

He did acknowledge that the cover once again has the Pathfinder AP logo rather than the standard RPG logo, and this was clearly a mistake that happened somewhere between here and China, but he didn’t go into details. I've dealt with overseas printing companies myself, so I can appreciate the communication issues.

So, I have a better sense of where this is coming from now. There are still some typos and discrepancies in the version I have, but apparently Paizo considers them minor enough not to worry about fixing.