PDA

View Full Version : Highest Low-Level AC?

QUARE
2017-03-17, 05:21 PM
What's the highest AC you can get at low levels? You may only use effects that have no time limit.

So far I have:

Plate 18 (We afforded it somehow)
Shield +2
Warforged +1
1st lvl. Forge Cleric +1
1st lvl. Mystic focusing on Mastery of Wood and Earth or Iron Durability +1
= 23 AC at lvl. 2

We also have access to the Shield spell from Forge Cleric for a temporary 28 AC. Bestial Form Though Hide from Mystic can gives us another +2 for an hour at the cost of 2 psi points. That gives us a grand total of 23 base AC and a possibility of reaching 30 all in only 2 levels. Can you get better?

LudicSavant
2017-03-17, 05:37 PM
Can you get better?

Yes. Have the Forge Cleric cast Shield of Faith.

And, obviously, magic items (I mean, that's not any weirder than having plate armor, which is considerably more expensive than the low rarity +AC magic items if it's possible to buy magic items in your campaign).

You also can get extra AC from cover, which you can manufacture yourself with certain abilities (like Shape Water).

Also, I don't know what level you'd stop considering "low levels," but you can add a few more level 1 dips that can boost your AC with each.

Tetrasodium
2017-03-18, 12:18 AM
I have a kobold druid who had a standing unbuffed 20 ac at 4 without trying too hard
shield: +2
+1 breastplate from lmop: +15
16 dex: +2 due to cap
+1 ring of protection: +1

Warcaster lets me do it & cast. Getting high ac in 5th edition is a lot easier than earlier versions like 3.5 & such. with bounded accuracy, it's less useful too. You are better off just going with something pretty good that you don't need to sacrifice much/anything for & focusing on synergies with it/class features/other feats rather than walking around as an idiot savant that is amazing at one single area & fails everywhere else. Medium armor master feat & 16 dex will make a set of halfplate drop the stealth disadvantage & match the 18 ac from a set of full plate too.

the ring went to me because everyone in the group decided to overrule the wizard who tried to hell "dibs" on my behalf because I had just kept a dozen zombies from chewing on them as an 11 ac bear. the breastplate went to me because it was worse than what everyone in the group had, even when I went around asking everyone "are you sure that you don't want this?" after I realized that nobody had taken it.